- Text Size +

CHAPTER 82: THE WASP NEST

 

JUSTIN’S STUDIO, LIBERTY AVENUE – WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON

 

BRIAN

 

“Unh!  Unh!”  I writhe on the sofa and grab the armrest as Justin sucks my cock very slowly down his throat.

 

The combination of the heat of his mouth, his leisurely licking and the feathering of his fingers across my stomach is making me cross eyed.  His fingers slide down to stroke my balls and my hips jerk twice.  I scrunch up my toes as he takes me even deeper.

 

“Just…Justin!”  I groan, arch my back and almost rip the armrest off as he hums uh-huh and looks up at me.  Immediately, my mind goes back to the last time he looked at me like that, his big blue eyes filled with love and lust, his mouth full of my cock and I explode.

 

“Gaaaaah!”  I scream and he presses my hips back down as my orgasm ripples through me.

 

He watches me cum apart then scoops up some and sucks it slowly off his finger.

 

“Oh fuck Brian, you look so beautiful.  Keep cumming, keep cumming.”  He chants.  “Oh!”  He gasps and I feel him shuddering against my legs.  Finally, he calms down but almost sets me off again when he licks me clean.

 

I tug him up my body and he snuggles, yes we snuggle, into my chest.  We soon drift off but I’m jolted awake by someone at the door.  At first, I was going to ignore it but whoever it is, is not fucking off.

 

I look down at Justin, and he is actually asleep.  But as usual when he uses me as a mattress, he’s rutting away.  I can’t believe how many times I’ve cum when he does that.

 

Slowly, I manoeuvre him onto his back, he mumbles a protest and his rutting slows as he settles back down.  I stride to the door and yank it open.

 

I’m very surprised to see Nancy Peterson in front of me, but I hide it well.  She, however, goes pale and immediately turns around.  I’m very naked and semi hard; I smirk at her embarrassment.

 

“Oh my goodness!  Brian Kinney!”  She gasps.  “I’m sorry!  But I was told that a Slick Phoenix owns this building!”

 

I’ve never liked this woman.  She reminds me of my mother but at least mine’s honest about her hatred of me.  This shrew hides behind a veneer of civility whilst pissing in your coffee, as Emmy Lou once said.

 

“She does.”  I lean against the door.  “She doesn’t live here though.  Would you like to come in?”

 

She shakes her head quickly.  “Do you know where I can find her perhaps?”

 

“Try Liberty Diner, which is down the street or I can call her for you.”  I smirk as Justin comes to the door pulling on his pants.  I mouth ‘Lindsay’s mom’ and he immediately takes them off.

 

My impish little monkey.

 

“If you want me to call her I would prefer you to come in, the draft is causing shrinkage and I can’t have that with my reputation.  Hey Kyle!”

 

“Hey Brian!”  Kyle calls out back.

 

“Oh Kyle wait!”  I shout.  “Do you know where Slick is?”

 

He comes back up the stairs and smirks and the scenario.  “She was just ordering lunch. Want me to send her up?”

 

“Yeah, Mrs Peter…”

 

“No, no that’s fine.  Liberty Diner, you said?  I-I’ll try there.  Th-thank you Mr Kinney.”  She starts to bolt down the stairs.

 

“Mrs Peterson!  It’s Taylor-Kinney, I’m married now!”

 

She comes to a halt.  “Well congratulations to you and your wife.”  She calls back, still not turning around.

 

“And as soon as I marry a woman, I’ll give them to her!”  I call to her retreating back.

 

“Brian.”  Justin purses his lips in dismay.  “That was mean!”

 

“But fun.”  I smirk and close the door.

 

There’s a gasp and I look at my husband resting his head against the wall opening himself for me.

 

“About your reputation.”  He pants leering over his shoulder.

 

“Oh no.”  I stay his fingers, slowly withdraw them and watch him shiver   “Turn around my sexy little monkey and start climbing.”  I growl.

 

DINER

 

NANCY PETERSON

 

Thank goodness that Lindsay has agreed to leave this type of lifestyle behind!  I try to keep the revulsion off my face as I look round and see a couple of men kissing as if it’s the most normal thing in the world!  

 

“Table for one?”  A woman asks as she flies passed me.

 

“No.  I’m trying to find a Slick Phoenix…”

 

“She’s not here.  You’ve just missed her.  But the woman coming in now should be able to tell you where she was heading.”  She nods in the direction of the door and two people stride in.

 

I look to the waitress.  “Which one?”  I ask.

 

“The woman.”  She repeats rushing passed again.

 

“That doesn’t actually help me.”  I retort.

 

“Wow.  You had better sort that tone and your manners or you’re gonna get your ass kicked out!”  She barks back.

 

I feel the flush douse my face as the diner starts to go quiet.  “I would like you to get the manager!”  I order imperiously.

 

“Sure Madam La-di-Fucking-Dah!  Hey Twink, can you go get your man for me!”

 

Now I know what a twink is and I turn to where she’s looking.  Said twink doesn’t look friendly.

 

Nancy?  Nancy Peterson?”  I freeze and turn around.

 

Lionel Barth!  What the hell is Lionel Barth doing around here?  Does he know these sort of people?!

 

“I thought that was you.  You’re a long way from home.”

 

“As are you.”  I smile nervously at him.  “I was just looking for directions…”

 

“Oh I see.   I was visiting a client in the art district.   Perhaps I can drop you off where you need to go instead?  My car is just round the corner.”

 

All thoughts of dealing with the Phoenix woman is forgotten for now.  Lionel Barth would be quite the coup.  

 

I smile at him and then look at my watch.  “That would be wonderful. These people have been so unhelpful.”

 

LIONEL

 

These people?!

 

Oh I know that look, Lamb gets it sometimes.  Twinkle is very diligent when he’s with Grimm.  But like Lamb, he’s a strong willed little sub with a high regard for what’s right and wrong and how people should be treated.  I need to get Nancy out now or she will get the MTFT…as the milkshake treatment from Twinkle has become known on the Avenue, including the glass it comes in!

 

I hide my smile at the memory of Grimm telling me how he reacted to Twinkle’s actions.  He took him for high tea and one of the hotspots of the area and then spanked him in the bathroom.

 

I open the door for her and pass Slick, she doesn’t acknowledge me but does smirk at the expression on Nancy’s face as when she smiles her thanks.

 

“Lionel thank you.”  She simpers and flicks her hair.

 

I have to fight the urge to snicker at Kiki’s eye roll and pull the door closed.  “You’re welcome Nancy.”

 

We walk in silence to the car.  I spot Claire and her eyes widen. But other than that, like Slick, she doesn’t acknowledge me.  It’s only when we get into my car that Nancy relaxes and starts the first of a string of lies I know she’s going to tell me.  

 

“I have no idea how I ended up there. I was looking for a car emporium…”

 

I want this over with; I don’t like the woman at all.  And not just because of what she tried to do to Sandrine, but her whole personality is just, frankly, fucked.

 

“Did your car breakdown?  Shall I take you to where you left it and arrange a tow truck?”

 

“No, it’s a place called Slick’s Car Emporium. I have some business to discuss with her.”  She closes her eyes and leans back against headrest before opening them and looking at me, with what she must think is a sorrowful expression.  “Actually, I wonder if I could pick your brains over a legal matter.”

 

I nod and wait for her to frame it just right.  

 

“A friend of mine has a daughter who’s in a spot of difficulty.”  She pauses and looks around as if expecting someone to jump out.  “She charged a stay in New York to a friend’s credit card and she’s now facing charges.  She’s due to face trial this week.  I was wondering if I, I mean they, were to offer restitution on their daughter’s behalf would that get the charges dropped?”

 

“It would depend if this was the daughter’s first offence…”

 

“For fraud, do you mean?”

 

“No in general.  And also remorse and contrition would be determining factors.  But at the end of the day it’s not down to the victim, it’s down to the State.  If the State feels that the daughter deserves punishment then that’s what they would do.”

 

She looks thoughtful and annoyed.  “But if the victim were to withdraw the charges would the State still pursue the daughter?”

 

“It depends on how much was owed.  Was it a premeditated and/or a malicious act?  That kind of thing?  But technically if the victim felt they were compensated it could hold some sway.”

 

“Thank you, I will tell them.  In the meantime, do you think you can you drop me off at the Emporium?”

 

“Sure no problem.”  It is with great relief that I start the car and made a mental note to call Slick as soon as I can.

 

SLICK’S EMPORIUM - AN HOUR LATER

 

IDAHO

 

This lady has to be lost.  “Can I help you?”

 

She almost jumps out of her skin and then subconsciously clutches her purse.  

 

“I’m looking for Slick Phoenix. I understand that this is her place of business.”  She replies, primly.  

 

“It is.  May I...”

 

“I would rather tell her myself, thank you.”  She asserts.

 

Ah, this has got to be the lady that was in the diner that Kiki mentioned.  Claire recognised her and told everyone who she is.

 

“Slick!”  I bellow.  “Nancy Peterson’s here to see you!”

 

“Five minutes!”  She shouts back.  

 

Lady Muck is looking down her nose at me.  “Thank you.  But I suggest next time someone says they want to tell someone something themselves, you let them.”

 

“And I suggest that you let people finish their question.  Because you would have found out that I was going to ask if you wanted a coffee, not who you are or what it is about.  We know who you are and what it’s about.”  I snipe back.  “Take a seat over there.”

 

I wave in the direction of reception and with one more disdainful look at me, she walks off.

 

SLICK

 

When I saw Lionel with a woman, I thought nothing of it.  But then Kiki said how uppity she got and Brian called to tell me who’d been looking for me, I got Claire to fill in the rest.  Then I got a call from Lionel to give me a heads up.

 

So she’s come to get Lindsay off the hook basically.  I snigger at the text Cujo just sent to say she’s been glowering at the stairs for the last 8 minutes, shame that.  

 

NANCY

 

“Nancy Peterson?”  Her voice jolts me out of my seething.  I hadn’t seen her approach.

 

“Yes.”  I stand up and regard her coolly.  She should be easy enough to handle.

 

“Have a seat.  What can I do for you?”  

 

As soon as we sit back down, the entire room goes quiet and the men make no attempt to disguise the fact they are eavesdropping.

 

“We can go to the office if you prefer?”  When I nod she waves me ahead of her.  “Upstairs and take a right.”

 

OFFICE

 

“Have a seat on the sofa.”  

 

“I think your employees’ behaviour is rather rude.”

 

“They’re merely reciprocating yours from earlier.”  She replies calmly.  “You know?  In the diner on Liberty Avenue.”

 

I feel my eye twitch but say nothing.  The silence stretches on.  She continues to look at me, unblinkingly, so I stare back. After a minute, I can feel my eyes start to burn.  

 

“Mrs Peterson.  I had a cat and would practice with her.  So just blink and say your piece.”

 

“Fine…”  I feel a tear slide down my cheek and she barely suppresses her amusement.  “How much does Lindsay owe you for New York and how much extra on top would it take for this unpleasant episode to no longer exist for you?”

 

“Aside from her being your daughter, of course, why would you want to help such an ungrateful and spoiled little madam?”  She asks bluntly.  

 

“As you say, she’s my daughter and I know she’s sorry for what she did.  She’s disappointed both myself and her father and...”

 

“No she’s not and no you’re not.”  Her laugh is hollow.  “If she was sorry, she wouldn’t have sounded and looked so pleased with herself on the video.  And, with regards to you, I don’t think you’re disappointed in her for what she did but more that she got caught.”  

 

Again, my eye twitches.  I’m determined to take control of this.  I look around her office and it has a certain style, I suppose.  

 

“It must have been hard to find that amount of money at such short notice.”  I smirk. “You could’ve used it for so much more necessary things.”  I trail my fingers along the table, look at them and then rub them clean.

 

Before she can reply the door opens and one of her men comes in.  “Oh sorry Slick, thought you said you were going to your office not the break room. Um…”

 

“No worries doll.  You can use my office.”

 

“Thanks.”  He closes the door quickly and I glare at her.

 

She slides the box of napkins over to me with the ghost of a smile.  “Men can be such mucky pups.”  Her lip twitches as I wipe my hands and look for somewhere to throw it.  

 

“To answer your earlier insult, I was already good for money. But my late father’s policies came in at just over a million, which your daughter and her friend benefited from.  Besides, I’m not bringing the case, the State is. But even if they weren’t, I would still come after her anyway.  It was her idea.”

 

I scrunch the napkin tighter and swallow hard.  Her eyes have not wavered from my face and I’m not used to being so thoroughly examined.

 

“She’s confident that once she explains the facts that she will be exonerated.”  

 

“We’ll see.”  She stands up and stretches.  “Unless there’s anything further, we’re done here Mrs Peterson.  I guess I’ll see you on Friday.”

 

“No, we’re not done Ms Phoenix!”  My patience has run out but I take a calming breath at her wrathful expression.  “My apologies.  You don’t need to do this.  Why not simply accept my offer and…”

 

“I see where she gets it from.  No, please don’t interrupt.  Once again, the Peterson women, are not sorry.  You blithely go about doing what you please, when you please and fuck everyone else and their feelings.  Well guess what? The world doesn’t like that.  So in the words of Mel, you know Lindsay’s ex, and the other mother of your grandchild...suck it up buttercup.  And own your mistakes, and just in case it's not clear coming here like this, is a big one.”   She strides to the door and pulls it open.  “Like I said, see you Friday.”

 

Her tone and countenance are so cold that I actually get shivers.  Well I did try.  After Friday, I never have to deal with Slick Phoenix again.  

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE

 

JUDGE RICHARDS

 

Slowly, Judge Harold-Shaw looks through the paperwork and then at the counsel and defendants.  She takes off her glasses and leans back in her chair.

 

Novotny is twitching in his chair barely containing himself while Peterson looks like a rabbit in headlights.  

 

Judge Harold-Shaw clears her throat and leans forward.  

 

“I have heard and understood the arguments against having a full trial, but they are rejected.   The argument that the trial would not be fair because of past actions of the defendants is spurious at best and highly insulting to the integrity of the court and the jury.  The court has already acceded to the jury being selected from outside the courthouse area and that is all I am prepared to do. The trial will go ahead as planned on Friday at 0900 in Court Room 1 of Alleghany Courthouse with Judge Richards presiding.”

 

I notice that neither Melody Chen nor Mitchell Roberts look particularly disappointed by the decision. The same can’t be said for their clients. This last minute appeal really grated on my nerves, which is why I called Harold-Shaw in.

 

Novotny is about to speak but one look from Chen stops him.  Peterson has gone from rabbit in headlights to pinched but silent fury.

 

“Thank you your honour.”  Roberts replies.

 

“Court is dismissed.”  Harold-Shaw orders and they file out.

 

The door closes on that irritating whine.  I’m still glaring at the door when I feel a hand on my arm.

 

“I’ll see you on Friday.”  She smiles kindly at me.  “I understand why but it was entirely unnecessary.”

 

I sit back and sigh.  “I know.  But I wasn’t prepared to take the chance.”

 

She chuckles.  “That voice though!  Can you imagine that during sex?  It would put you clear off your stroke!”

 

I stare incredulously at her.

 

“I’m old, not dead!”  She laughs heartily and I can’t help but join in.

 

PETERSON-MARCH RESIDENCE – THURSDAY MORNING

 

LOUNGE

 

LYNETTE

 

I take a measured sip of my coffee and look across at Oliver, who is just staring at mother.

 

“What exactly did you hope to achieve by that?”  His voice is measured. I know he’s angry but not exactly why.  Mother trying to help Lindsay has annoyed him before but not to this level.

 

“I wanted to help Lindsay out after all she’s…”

 

The doorbell ringing interrupts her and I go to answer.

 

I’m unsurprised to see daddy on the doorstep.  “I need to speak to your mother.  May I come in?”

 

I step aside in resignation.  “Dining room.”

 

“Ronald, what are you doing here?”  Mother simpers and I roll my eyes.

 

I sit back down and feel Oliver’s hand on my knee.

 

“I understand that the trial is going ahead in Alleghany.  Their last minute appeal to get it moved failed.”

 

“As I was just explaining to Oliver and Lynette, I tried to reason with the Phoenix woman but she was unyielding.”

 

Oliver and I exchange looks but say nothing.

 

“You’d have thought her being a lesbian would afford her some kind of solidarity, but no.  I think there is a degree of jealousy from her.”

 

“First, of course Lindsay’s jealous of her, but what makes you think that Miss Phoenix is a lesbian?”  Oliver asks.

 

“No I mean Miss Phoenix is jealous.”  Mother rolls her eyes.  “And as for her…lifestyle, she’s a mechanic, works on Liberty Avenue and she’s, well, she’s very butch looking wears overalls, has short hair and the like.  I wouldn’t be surprised if she had tattoos as well.”  Mother trails off smugly.

 

I, like everyone else, am surprised when Oliver bursts out laughing.  He takes a few minutes to recover.

 

“Of all the idiotic things to say mother!”  Oliver scoffs.  “I’ve heard of judging a book by its cover but that’s ridiculous.  Any other stereotype you’d like to add?”

 

“Oliver, I’m your mother by marriage and I will…”  She warns.

 

“And this is my house and I shall speak as I damn well please!”  He snaps back.  “Just because she has a business near Liberty Avenue that does not make her a lesbian.  She’s not a mechanic, though she did study engineering; she’s a car restorer.  As for her being butch she works with cars and some of them have to be hauled by hand and they are heavy.  And what would you have her wear whilst she’s working with metal, grease and rust?  Taffeta?  As for the hair comment, it’s in a bun so it doesn’t get caught in the machinery.  She’s as far away from being a lesbian as you are!”

 

“How do you know all that?”  Daddy asks.

 

“So what exactly did you offer her?”  Oliver asks ignoring the question.

 

“The money that Lindsay owed plus some on top.  She and her employees and were very rude to me.”  She pouts.

 

“So you offered her a bribe?”  Daddy demands.

 

“No!  I offered her what she was owed plus some more.  She refused saying that the State was leading this but even if they weren’t, she would still sue.  It’s not as if she needs the money according to her.  Like I said, jealous!”  She bristles.

 

“I don’t understand why you think she’s jealous of Lindsay though.”  I say and squeeze Oliver’s hand. He looks like he’s going to explode.

 

“Well, look what Lindsay has?  Our connections, her breeding and…”

 

“The prison years stretching ahead of her.  Yeah who wouldn’t want to have that instead of freedom, a successful business, loving family and friends among other things?”  Mother glares at him.  “Right I’m going to work.  Darling, I will see you Saturday morning.  Are you sure you can’t meet for lunch tomorrow?”

 

“Sadly no.  I have to fit in my other appointments as I promised to help Elspeth Miller-Fox with her party on Saturday.”  I smile at him and turn my face up for his kiss goodbye.

 

“Oh yes!  I’m so looking forward to that!”  Mother enthuses.  “I can’t wait to see them!  Do you know what the code is?”

 

“Wow.”  Oliver sneers.  “Mention a high profile WASP and all concerns about Lindsay go out the window.  Your priorities are in order as usual mother.

 

He sweeps out with mother glaring at his retreating back and daddy trying not to laugh.

 

ALLEGHANY COURTHOUSE – FRIDAY MORNING

 

COURTROOM 1

 

MELODY CHEN

 

Clifford, the bailiff, just shakes his head as Novotny gets up from under the desk having been tying his shoelaces.  He seems hellbent on pissing Judge Richards off.

 

“I appreciate your sartorial efforts for the court Mr Novotny.”  Judge Richard says as he sits down.  “It would’ve been appreciated more if you were sorting out a tie…”

 

I keep my eyes on my notes as Mitchell clutches his pen tightly.

 

“Your honour.  This is the case of the State vs Michael Charles Novotny and Lindsay Peterson on the charge of premeditated fraud.”

 

“Thank you Clifford.  Ladies and gentlemen of the jury.  This is not a trial in the fullest sense of the word.  By which, I mean there is no prosecution.  The guilt of the defendants has been proven to the satisfaction of the court.  The evidence provided by Detectives Bank and Crane is overwhelming.  What you are here to do, after seeing the evidence, is to determine the level of premeditation, remorse and contrition, if any.  The defendants have prepared statements for the court.  When you have come to a decision then the victim of their crime will make a statement before a sentence is handed down.”

 

The looks on the faces of Peterson and Novotny are priceless.  Although Novotny is also swallowing hard.

 

“But…”  Lindsay whispers hoarsely.  “I thought I would have an opportunity to argue my case.”

 

“Argue what?”  I whisper back.  “Like I said…”

 

“Ms Chen.  Care to share?”  Judge Richards calls out.

 

“No your honour.  Our apologies.”  I reply, ignoring the tugging on my arm.

 

He smiles thinly.  “Clifford, if you could proceed with the video evidence.

 

LINDSAY

 

No!  No!  No!  This is not happening, not fucking happening!  I had everything prepared!

 

I look across at mother and she looks as mortified as I do.

 

MICHAEL

 

What the fuck?!  

 

I’m trying to remember what I wrote in my statement.  The only good fucking thing is that nobody but the jury and one family member was allowed.   I was so confident that we would be given parole again that I didn’t invite anybody.

 

SLICK

 

Breathe!  Breathe!  Breathe!  I wish I had asked one of guys to come with me now.

 

I’m sitting right at the back and the dumbass gruesome twosome and her mother didn’t notice me.

 

I feel a delicate hand taking mine and I open my eyes.  I’m surprised to see Sandrine smiling at me.  “Sometimes only a WASP will do.”  She whispers and gives my hand a squeeze.   “Now please, my dear girl don’t take this the wrong way but…”

 

I hand her my statement and a pen.

 

SANDRINE

 

I just stare at the screen and try oh so very hard not to run down the aisle, grab a handful of each of their hair and bang their heads together!  Yes I had a gist of what had happened during the wedding breakfast.  But when they were laughing over what they did to her mother’s portrait, Slick tightened her hold on my hand.  I blink rapidly and think of my mother then wonder how the hell Debs kept her from tearing them limb from limb.

 

I look at the jury as they watch their interviews with the detectives.  There is a lot of note writing and concentrating on the screen.  Philip always says that this is a good thing from the point of view of the victim because they are looking at the evidence and not the remorse of the perpetrators.  Seeing them as they were then, not as they are now, they’ve been caught.

 

Five hours later, we are still watching.  Slick’s head is in my lap as she was crying, but finally her breathing has evened out and she’s asleep.  I had no idea the envy of these two of a woman, who has done everything to better herself by herself, ran so deep.

 

We’ve finally moved onto the actual amount they spent and I still can’t believe it.  When I heard they spent $7,000 I didn’t believe it but as the bailiff reads off each and every amount, I shoot lasers into the back of their skulls.

 

Lindsay and her attorney are whispering to each other and Michael is just sitting there glaring with his arms crossed.

 

The video is turned off and Judge Richards turns to the jury.  “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, there are two sworn statements to the behavior of Michael Charles Novotny and Lindsay Peterson with regards to other people’s money. Those are in your evidence pack and they are from Daniel DeVore and Brian Taylor-Kinney.

 

He looks up at the clock.  “It has been a very long day.  I had wanted to get this completed in one day but that was not to be.  We will reconvene on Monday at 0900 and hopefully we will be able to reach verdict and pass sentence by the end of that day.”   

 

I start to gently shake Slick awake.

 

“Please remove the defendants.”  Judge Richards orders.

 

I can actually hear the squeak of Michael’s trainers as he stomps off like he is the aggrieved party!  Lindsay shuffles off, looking pitiful.

 

“Jury and court are dismissed.”  Judge Richard orders.

 

By the time I look up, the courtroom is empty.

 

MILLER-FOX RESIDENCE – SATURDAY EARLY EVENING

 

LYNETTE

 

I smile at Elspeth as she, needlessly for the 3rd time, checks her reflection in the mirror.  As usual, her reception room is exquisitely decorated.  People are chatting happily amongst themselves.

 

“It’s such a shame that Lucy and her girlfriend Melanie couldn’t come.  But they already had plans with my grandchildren so they are taking me out next weekend.  Just the six of us.  I’m so excited.”  Elspeth smiles shyly.  “She’s so happy.  And Lewis and Melanie got on right from the start.  All my children settled.”

 

She looks so content and I squeeze her arm.  “I would love to have what you have but after what happened I was just not able to.”  She frowns at me.  “But Oliver has been the only one that has been kind and not judgemental.  He’s listened and been patient.  He hasn’t made me feel dirty or worthless or I was at fault.”

 

“Dirty?  Worthless?  At fault?”  She repeats and starts to move me away from the bar.

 

“Yes.  I was only 15.  It took years for me to accept that it was not my fault and it was his fault.  I did nothing wrong and…”

 

“Oh Lynette, I had no idea!”  She gasps tears spring to her eyes and looks so stricken.  “What with what your mother said…”

 

“What did my mother say?”  I look at her as she looks more and more distressed.  “Elspeth?”

 

“Oh my dear.  Come with me.”  She guides me out of the room and into the study.

 

STUDY

 

ELSPETH

 

I can’t believe I have to do this but she has the right to know.

 

“Lynette.  Please sit down.”  She does so and I sit next to her.  “You mother has been explaining your lack of children in all your marriages because you are infertile and…”

 

“What?!”  I gasp and just look at her.  “I’m not infertile, I was…”  I take a breath.  “I was assaulted by my then boyfriend and I just couldn’t…for a long time…until Oliver.”

 

“Now I know that, I will make sure that everyone knows how very supportive Nancy and Ronald has been.”  Her eyes are like ice.

 

LYNETTE

 

“No not daddy!  Please don’t tell daddy!”   I whimper.  “He’ll hate me!”  I burst into tears and immediately I feel like I’m right back there that night…

 

…but unlike that night.  There are comforting arms around me, gentling hands in my hair and soft words telling me it’s going to be okay.

 

Ten minutes later, I have managed to calm down and now my tears are replaced by anger!

 

“Elspeth thank you for telling me what you have.  I will handle it from now on!”

 

“If you need me then you let me know.  A friend of mine son had, not quite as horrible an experience, but…”

 

“Thank you.”  I get myself cleaned up with her help.  “Now there’s a party we need to go to.”

 

We stride out smiling and for a while we are having a wonderful time then her smile is replaced by a grimace as she looks across the room.

 

“Mother’s here, isn’t she?”

 

“Indeed.”  She replies tightly.  “Do you need me?”

 

“No, as my darling Oliver says I’ve got this.”

 

I head in mother’s direction to halt her progress, I look back at Elspeth and she nods encouragingly.

 

As of tomorrow Mother Dearest, you go find somewhere else to live!

 

“Honestly mother!  I thought you were joking on Thursday.  Sandrine and Philip are here.”  I hiss.

 

“I was invited Lynnette.  I don’t see why a small error of judgement many months ago should preclude my attendance.”

 

“Of course you don’t.”  Daddy sneers behind her.  “That error of judgement, like your arrogance and ego, is not small.”  He takes my arm and kisses my cheek.  “Lynette darling, you look lovely.  Where are the hosts?”

 

I point to the bay window where Elspeth and Lewis are talking and smiling.  While he heads in their direction, mother takes that opportunity to get passed me and go mingle.  She soon joins a group that includes Andrea Brinkman and Sophie West.

 

“Birds of a feather flock together.”  I mutter to myself.

 

“What darling?”  Oliver startles me.

 

“Oh nothing.”  I smile at him.

 

“Hmmm.  I thought you could use this.”  He hands me a martini and then surveys the room.  “You’re right those birds of a feather are best kept in clear sight.”

 

I almost snort the entire drink up my nose.

 

“Let me get you a napkin.”  He chuckling and stops a passing waiter.  “Here.  Better?  Now come on, let’s circulate.”

 

NANCY

 

I have to figure a way of getting Lionel away from Sandrine. He’s looking very handsome. He and Lindsay would be such a good match.

 

“Now that is a gorgeous man.”  Sophie whispers in my ear.  “Single I believe.  Such a pity I only had sons.”

 

“Yes, such a pity.”  I murmur back and then gasp.  “Is that Lindon?”

 

“Yes.  Hasn’t he grown into another gorgeous man?”

 

“Good grief, is that a Roadster?!”  Someone calls out and people flock to the windows.

 

Unfortunately, I can’t see much but I do spot Lindon heading outside.  A few minutes later, he comes back in chuckling.

 

“Sandrine.  Do you think you could try and persuade her to let go of the steering wheel?”

 

Elspeth and Sandrine exchange amused looks.  “I’ll go.”  Elspeth volunteers before saying something to Sandrine who nods.

 

Two minutes later, she’s back but alone.  “Unfortunately, she’s scraped the blue Daimler as she was parking.  It was by the gables.  Would the owner follow me, please?”

 

“Please everyone continue to enjoy yourselves, they won’t be long.” Lewis calls out and the chatter starts up again.

 

“Come on let’s circulate a bit more... relive our youth.”  Andrea snickers and we can’t help but join her.

 

I don’t see why Lynette is so upset about this.  As long as you are discreet is the unwritten and unspoken rule, which he broke!  I nod and smile at some of my acquaintances, some smiles are returned and others, not.  A couple of women actually pull their husbands closer to them.  They needn’t bother; I have my standards!

 

I spot the back of Lionel and look for Sandrine. She’s on the other side of the room.  Now’s my chance so I excuse myself quickly and head towards him.

 

“How bad was it?”  He’s asking.

 

“Not…”

 

“Excuse me.  Lionel?  I thought it was you.”  I trill and he turns round.  “I just wanted to thank you for your…”

 

I trail off when I find myself looking into the cold eyes of Slick Phoenix.

 

What the hell is she doing here and looking like that?!

 

“For my?”  Lionel prompts me.

 

“Uh, ah…legal advice it proved to be most helpful.  Unfortunately, futile but not for the lack of trying.”  I look pointedly at her.  “And is this your partner?”

 

“My…”

 

“Ladies and gentlemen!  Ladies and gentlemen!”  Lewis calls out.  “As you know we’re here to celebrate the birthday of my darling wife Elspeth but we are also here to celebrate the, and I, no we, are so pleased, engagement of my son Lindon!”

 

Andrea and I exchange looks.  Part of me is disappointed as I would’ve tried to set him and Lindsay up if she and Lionel don’t work out.

 

“Now come on up.  Come-come, you two promised, Lindon.”

 

Lindon makes his way to the front before turning to face us.  “Ladies and gentlemen, I wish you to charge your glasses to Elspeth Miller-Fox, the greatest mother and soon to be mother-in-law in the world!”

 

After the salutation and toasting, he clears his throat again.  “Now I would like you all to meet the other important and beautiful woman in my life and soon to be wife…ooh rhyming...the very beautiful Slick Phoenix.”

 

I just about manage to stop the glass from falling out of my hand but the blood is rushing round my ears and I can barely hear what he is saying but can see what he’s doing. He’s on one knee formally proposing!

 

I can’t believe this is happening!  Lynette and Oliver are just looking from Lindon and Slick then back to me.  Ronald is with Sandrine and Philip grinning hugely in my direction.

 

“How did you two meet?”  I hear someone ask.

 

“At Babylon at my coming-out ­night.”  Someone replies and people nod with…what?   Understanding?!

 

“Now, there is one more thing Lindon... It’s been there long enough and it’s happened so you have to move it.  It’s his pride and joy Slick. I doubt he would let you touch it without a contract or gloves.”  Lewis teases him and he scowls.  “It’s been there long enough; time to move it!”

 

“You still have that?”  Oliver calls out incredulously.

 

“Yes, he does.”  Elspeth replies dryly but with a tender expression.  “Not in his garage, no-no but in ours.  For the last fifteen years!”

 

“Fine I’ll move it in a couple of weeks.”  Lindon sighs.

 

“Tomorrow.  You will move it tomorrow.”  Lewis orders.

 

“What are you guys going on about?”  Slick demands smiling.

 

“Pluto.”  He replies and people exchange confused looks.  “He’s a vintage Mercedes-Benz.  Metallic silver with dark blue interior and pipes on the outside, curves in the right places, white wall tyres with …”

 

“Dark blue wheel spokes and silver MB discs.  The top is also dark blue and…two spotlights by the windshield and the MB topper acts as the gear shift handle.”

 

Silence.

 

“Uh yeah.”  Lindon and his parents are looking incredulously at her.

 

She smiles softly.  “I sometimes don’t remember names, as you can tell, but I do remember every car I’ve worked on.  And you say you still have it?”

 

Lindon just nods.

 

You?  You did his car?!”  Elspeth gasps.

 

“Yep, once I got established and people began to respect my work.”  She turns to Lindon.  “We are changing that gear stick, it cuts the fuck out of your hands.  Now show me how bad 15 years sitting in a garage is.”

 

As he leads her out, Lewis smiles.  “It was obviously meant to be!  You have ten minutes!”

 

“So that’s Slick Phoenix?”  Lynette smirks along with Oliver.  Mercifully, Ronald has remained on the other side of the room.  “Wow.  Now the stereotype comment makes sense, darling.”

 

Lynette seems different as she glares at me, there’s a fire there I haven’t seen before.

 

Oliver tilts his glass and I glower at him.  “How long have you known about her?”  I demand.

 

“I didn’t know her name at first as he didn’t want to jinx anything.  All I knew was that he was happier than I’d seen him in a long time.  When he asked me to be an usher, I was more than happy to accept.”   He turns to Lynette.  “Sorry I didn’t tell you darling, but they wanted to announce today.  Look they’re coming back.  Come and meet her and judge for yourself exactly what she’s like.”  He glares at me and takes her hand.

 

“Yes darling.  I would like to know someone based on the truth.”  She too glares at me and is gone.

 

“Nancy.”  I look up at Lionel and inwardly cringe, I forgot he was there.  “So the partner question is answered, no she’s not.  But I do have one who I love very much and even if I didn’t, I still wouldn’t want you or your daughter.  Now excuse me. I have a ring to inspect.”

 

I head back to join Andrea and Sophie.  “Well, how’d it go with Lionel?”  Andrea whispers.

 

“He has a partner, who he loves very much.”

 

“That’s what they all say.”  She chuckles.

 

“Yes I know.”  I smile back and watch him look at her ring.  “No matter, there are plenty more fish in the sea.”

 

“Come my fellow fisherwomen, let us cast our nets.”  Sophie guffaws quietly.

 

“You can cast as much as you want ladies, nobody wants old and used bait.”  We turn to face Elspeth.  “Thank you for coming.  It was so lovely to see the three of you. I do hope you enjoy the rest of your evening.”

 

We look at each other and then at her as she signals her other son, Lucas. The expression on his face does not bode well.

 

“This way ladies, your taxis are here.”

 

We follow him without a word.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.