- Text Size +

 

Part Six

Debbie greeted them at the door and welcomed them inside before heading out to the car and attempting to drag Harrison inside as well. Harrison, however, was going back to the house to have dinner with Addie, who was due to give birth any day now. Justin had insisted that she stop working and take paid maternity leave, so the penthouse had been cleaned by a service for the past couple weeks and would continue to be until Addie was ready to come back to work. Harrison would continue to work until the baby was born and then Justin insisted that he take at least a month off to be with his wife and child. Justin would simply have to rely on taxis or hire a temporary driver when that happened.

Dinner was a lively affair as the talk continued to center around the upcoming gala. Emmett was looking a little calmer about the entire thing this week, though he did look tired. Lindsay and Mel were more relaxed as well. Justin spent most of the dinner discussing politics with Ben or the changing tax laws with Ted while Brian fed and played with his son. Gus was slowly coming to like Justin, and he enjoyed the times that Brian and Justin took him places, but he was still his Daddy's son and it was Brian he wanted to see more than anything when they came for dinner whether at Debbie's or the munchers.

Through it all, Michael continued to watch Justin, though no one else seemed to notice his intent stare. No one but Justin, that is.

After dinner, Justin and Brian went out to the back yard to smoke a joint. It was a nice warm evening for late April and when Brian went inside to use the restroom, Justin decided to stay out there and enjoy the peace and quiet for a few more minutes. Of course, that was when Michael came out to shatter the stillness of the evening.

"I can't believe you," Michael spat out. "First the stupid trip to Disney, then Emmett, then the GLC, and now this!"

"I'm really not sure what you're talking about," Justin said with a shrug. He was still feeling rather mellow from the weed and none of Michael's hostility could touch him.

"You're trying to buy them," Michael said scathingly. "You think you can waltz in here with your dirty money and buy their affection, but I'm not going to let you get away with it."

Justin shook his head, "I'm not trying to buy anyone's affection."

"No?" Michael scoffed. "What the fuck was that about the car then?"

"I told you, I have too many cars," Justin said. "And Brian seemed to like the antiques, so…"

"So you thought you could buy his love," Michael supplied. "Well it won't work. Brian will never love you. Brian will never settle for some worthless piece of shit that has to pay for friends." Justin glared but let Michael say what he was going to say. "You're so pathetic. You have no friends. Not even your family wants to be around you. So you have to pay the hired help to spend time with you and pretend to be your friends. And then you come here and think that you can just… take whatever you want. You think everyone can be bought. But Brian can't, and neither can I!"

"I'm not trying to buy anyone's friendship," Justin said again. He shook his head. "I get that you don't like me. Fine. You don't have to like me. But Brian does. So do Debbie, Emmett, Ted, Lindsay, Mel and even Ben. You're right, I've never had a lot of friends, but I do know the difference between when somebody wants something from me and when someone truly likes me. So yes, I have tried to do nice things for people since I came here. But it wasn't about buying their friendship. It was about doing nice things for the people who have been nice to me."

"You're full of shit," Michael said. "You come in here with some pitiful story and want everyone to feel sorry for you. Poor little rich boy who was neglected and friendless. Boohoo. Well, I'm not buying it, and I'll do my damnedest to make the others see you for what you are."

"That's enough Michael." Both Justin and Michael turned at the unexpected voice and found that Brian had returned. "You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about."

"He's manipulating you!" Michael said angrily.

"He's not," Brian said. "He's not asked me to do anything I haven't wanted to do. He's not pushed for anything from me. He's never once asked for anything in return for the things he's done for people. He does it because he's a good person."

"He's a lying shit," Michael muttered. "And he's got you all fooled."

"Justin, I think it's time we go," Brian said. Justin looked at his lover and nodded before going into the house to call Harrison. Brian stayed in the back yard with Michael. "You really don't get it do you?"

"Get what?" Michael asked.

Brian shook his head. "That kid has had a worse life than either of us."

"That's bullshit," Michael said.

"That's the truth," Brian told his friend. "So you didn't have a father growing up, so my parents were alcoholics. At least we had your mom and Uncle Vic. We had people who loved us and weren't afraid to show it. We had each other and we had friends."

"Yeah, and he grew up in a mansion and probably had people throwing themselves at him to be his friend," Michael said.

"He had people trying to get to him for his money," Brian corrected. "He never had parents who loved him. He never had friends who didn't want something from him. He has spent a lifetime alone. His only friends were the two people who now work for him, and there will always be a barrier between them because of the whole employer/employee thing. Harrison and Addie care about Justin and they are his friends, but they'll never be like us. Justin has never had all the things we have."

"He never had to wear hand-me-down clothes or listen to Ma cry because she couldn't afford new sneakers for me for gym class either," Michael said.

"She cried because she loves you," Brian said. "And no, he never had to go through that. But I'd still take our lives over his any day. And the fact that he wants to give something back to people… he's not trying to buy their love. He's trying to thank them for showing him kindness in the only way he knows how."

Michael snorted at that but then sighed. "I guess that means you're taking the car."

Brian chuckled. "It's a choice between a fucking '67 XKE Roadster in mint condition or a '65 Shelby Cobra in mint condition. Of course I'm fucking accepting."

The two laughed for a moment before the screen door opened once again. "Um, Brian?"

"What's up, Justin?"

"I just got off the phone with Harrison," Justin said. "Addie's having the baby. I'm catching a cab to the hospital. I wasn't sure if you wanted to go with me or if you wanted to go home."

Brian smiled, "I'll go with you."

BJBJBJBJBJ

The night of the gala finally arrived and this time Brian and Justin were together as they dressed for the event. Since Harrison was at home with Addie and the new baby—Justin's godson—Justin had hired a temporary driver to take them to the event. It was as they were riding the elevator down to street level that Brian brought up something completely unexpected.

"So, when are you going to invite me to move in?"

Justin stared at Brian agog. "Seriously?"

Brian shrugged and checked his jacket for lint in the elevator's mirrored wall. "Well, I can't ask you to move into the loft. It's too small for the two of us. Besides, what would people think if I asked you? They would think I was trying to sleep my way up the social ladder. It would totally ruin my reputation."

Justin stared at Brian for the rest of the trip down to the lobby and then as they went to the waiting car. It wasn't until they were half way to the gala that he spoke. "Brian, would you like to move in with me?"

"Why yes, Justin, I would," Brian said with a smirk.

Justin shook his head and smiled for the rest of the journey.

BJBJBJBJBJ

The gala was being held at the Pennsylvanian and the Bentley fit right into the old world architecture of the grand entrance as they pulled to a stop. Brian stepped out first and then held a hand out for Justin. The place was already mobbed with people and media and Justin knew for a fact that this night was going to be a huge success.

They were met by Emmett almost as soon as they entered the ballroom and Justin was whisked away to deal with some last minute issues that had arisen. Brian went to the open bar and found that Ted and Michael were already there, along with about twenty other people. Brian had discretely arranged for Debbie to have a day at the spa and a dress for the event and he was glad he had when Ben arrived a few minutes later with Debbie on his arm.

"Some shindig Sunshine put together," Debbie said. "I think I saw that guy from that TV show. You know the one I mean, about the gay folks living in New York?"

"I know what show you mean and it was more than likely him," Brian said. "Justin has quite a few surprising connections."

"I love the comedian that's speaking later," Ted said.

"And that cute little twink from that musical sit-com is supposed to sing," Debbie said. "I like him."

"Even with all that, it's hard to believe that so many people were willing to shell out $5,000 a ticket for this thing," Michael said. "I'm surprised that anyone can afford that."

"Believe me, these people can afford the ticket price," Brian said. "And many of them will be offering additional checks before the night is over."

"Emmett did a great job decorating this place," Ben said. "Who knew you could take children's handprints and turn it into a theme. An elegant theme, at that."

"That took a bit of work," Brian confided. "Emmett and Justin had all the kids from the GLC participate. The banner up front, the decoupage on the centerpieces, and the mural beside the welcome table were all done by the kids. Justin incorporated their work into the designs for the program covers and invitations."

"I saw them selling GLC Daycare t-shirts and stuff at a table in the foyer with the same logo," Ted said.

"There won't be a lot of sales for that stuff tonight, but those will be a way for the GLC and the kids to continue to raise money later," Brian said. "And the more people see the t-shirts, the more people will know about the daycare."

"I have a feeling you had something to do with those items," Debbie said slyly.

"Perhaps," Brian smirked. "I also made sure the Emmett had his business cards placed strategically so that he can actually get some referrals from this little event."

BJBJBJBJBJ

For dinner, the friends all sat at the table that Brian had sponsored while Justin and Emmett continued to work. Justin spent much of his time chatting with donors and working the room. He handed out Emmett's card to anyone who expressed an interest and accepted numerous checks. The special guests all spoke or performed during the dinner and afterward, there was dancing. Justin was too busy getting the largest donors to the meet and greet with the celebrities to take advantage but as the night was finally beginning to wind down, Brian was able to capture his lover and pull him onto the dance floor for a slow dance.

"I've been neglecting you," Justin said mournfully as he laid his head on Brian's shoulder and swayed to the easy rhythm.

"I knew you would be busy," Brian said. "I'm not upset. But I'm glad I got at least one chance to hold you tonight."

"Me too," Justin said as he looked up at Brian and gave him a wide smile. "We did good. People are shoving money at us."

"How much?" Brian asked.

"So far, we've raised all the capital for the construction and about $7 million towards the endowment," Justin said. "I'm expecting four or five of the larger donors to contact me in the next week, so I think we'll end up with more than the $10 million we anticipated. And Jackson Hodges has already pledged to match whatever we get for the endowment, so that will put us over $20 million."

"Sounds like a huge success," Brian said with a smile.

Justin nodded. "There's still some follow-up work to be done, but I think that this was a huge success."

"What about Emmett?" Brian asked.

Justin smiled. "He's basking in the praises of some of Pittsburgh society's Grande Dames. Literally. Four or five of them had him cornered and were practically begging him to do their granddaughter's wedding or niece's engagement or whatever. Plus I've given out about fifty of his cards and the ones on the dessert buffet are all gone. I think that Events by Emmett will be a huge success as well."

"I knew you were brilliant the moment I met you," Brian said.

"Come on, I want to introduce you to a few people," Justin said and led Brian off the dance floor.

BJBJBJBJBJ

"Justin, I don't know how I can ever thank you enough," Emmett said tearfully. The gala was finally over and there was nothing left to do but the cleanup. Justin and Brian were two of the few people left, aside from the wait staff and cleaning crew."

"You can make a huge success out of that business," Justin said. "That's all the thanks I need. Besides, you did all the hard work."

Emmett hugged the small blond tightly and Brian had to eventually pull him off. "Mine, Honeycutt."

Emmett laughed through his tears and grabbed the handkerchief that Brian held out for him. "Well, I've already got appointments with twelve people to plan events for them, and have more folks who have expressed an interest than I could have ever dreamed, so I don't think being a success is going to be a problem."

"Good," Brian said. "Now I want to go home."

"Can't believe you stayed this long," Emmett muttered at Brian. He smiled at Justin. "Thank you again. Both of you."

Emmett went back to supervising the cleanup, but before they could leave, they were waylaid again. This time by several members of the GLC board. They were all thrilled with the successful event and wondered if Justin would become a permanent fixture on the board. Justin accepted, though Brian knew it was mostly because as the chair of the Daycare committee, he was practically on the board already.

By the time they finally made it back to the penthouse, both Brian and Justin was exhausted. Rather than their usual late night romp, they fell into bed together and cuddled in the darkness, the only light coming from the city lights across the river.

"Are you sure about wanting to move in?" Justin finally asked through a yawn.

"Positive," Brian said.

Justin nodded his head, his cheek brushing against Brian's chest. "'Kay. Best part of the day."

Brian yawned but asked, "What was?"

"You moving in," Justin said before falling asleep.