- Text Size +

 

Sins of the Father

Chapter 13

Taking advantage of the cooler air in the morning, John, Bobby and Patrick decided to visit the Castillo de San Marcos, also known as the fort. They passed over the drawbridge and back into time, learning how this odd little fort managed to stand the test of many invasions and of time. Brian, Justin and Bree found the nearest Red Train ticket booth and purchased tickets. Brian sat back on the hard seat with Bree on his lap and Justin beside him. Brian was about to grumble and complain but somehow he found he couldn't. Brian Kinney began to view the world through his daughter's eyes.

"Brian, you're very quiet."

"I like quiet."

"I mean more quiet than usual. I guess you didn't like the ride," Justin said somewhat sadly.

"Actually, I did like the ride," Brian stated as he climbed off the train with Bree at the end of the tour. They opened the collapsible stroller and sat Bree into it, adjusting the little sun umbrella and her hat. "Justin, be patient with me. I've never done this before."

"Neither have I."

"Justin, when you were a kid, did you go on trips with your parents?"

"Sure! We did lots of things together. And every summer, we'd... Oh. I'm sorry, Bri, I didn't realize."

"It's okay, Sunshine. I am enjoying myself and I'm enjoying viewing everything from your point of view and from the Squirt's perspective. It's just sometimes it's a little overwhelming."

Justin gave Brian a hug. "I know. And I forget that for the first seventeen years of my life, I had a normal life. You never really did."

"No, I didn't, but I'm going to do my damnedest to make it a normal life for you and the Squirt."

"You already are and I so love you."

"Love you too, Sonny Boy." Brian gave Justin a discreet kiss, then a smooch to Bree's cheek. "Pull out the map, Justin. Which gallery do we see first?"

*****

Later that afternoon, the two families met up for lunch. They ate a light lunch at one of the numerous cafes then made plans for the rest of the day. Justin and Bobby mentioned Ripley's. John wanted to wander around to see some of the old buildings. Brian had spied many interesting boutiques and secretly wanted to visit them. So they decided to split up again. Bobby and Justin would take the kids to Ripley's while John and Brian meandered through the town. Brian was relieved. The sun was glaring. Justin, Bobby and the children were all prone to sunburn. Having them spend hours in a nice cool museum was safe. So after lunch, Justin, Bobby and the children headed back to the B&B for the van, and then on to Ripley's.

"Hey, Brian, look at that! It's the oldest school house in the country. I can't believe it's still standing."

"It's a crooked little building. Maybe that anchor attached is keeping it from falling down," Brian said with a chuckle. As John, the builder, was worshipping the old architecture Brian found a small boutique called the Women's Exchange. As he peered into a window, all sorts of glib comments were formulating in his head. And he was quite sure the owners of the establishment had heard them all. Brian turned as he felt a presence behind him.

"Bri, what are you doing?"

"Waiting for you to finish soaking up old buildings."

"I can never get enough of that."

"I know, big bro, and that's part of your charm. Let's go in here."

"Here?" John exclaimed as they went into the tiny boutique that held all things glittering and sparkling.

"May I help you?" a pleasant woman asked from behind her counter. She and her assistant looked over the handsome brothers with appreciative eyes.

"Just looking, if that's okay," Brian answered but he gave her his most innocent come hither look.

"Please do," she answered with a sigh.

"He's probably married," the assistant whispered.

"Or gay," the proprietress replied.

"Or both," they both whispered with a giggle.

"You're a hopeless flirt; you know that, don't you?" John admonished Brian.

"Your point?" Brian snarked. As he perused the bright crystal jewelry, his eyes zoned in on several pins that were all of the same design but each made with different colored beads and crystals. "What are these?" Brian pointed to the display.

"We call them 'Wild Women.' There's a wild woman hiding in every woman," the shopkeeper stated with pride. "No two are alike."

"They're very pretty," Brian murmured.

"Brian, I think you hung out with way too many lesbians in Orlando," John mumbled into his brother's ear.

"Or maybe I'm in touch with my feminine side. Besides, I can see Debbie wearing one of these and Jennifer."

"My mother would love one too."

"Now yer talkin'," Brian quipped.

"Bri, what about Joan?"

"She's not the wild type but this is more like her." Brian held up a crystal encrusted pin in the shape of a rosebud.

"In honor of your budding relationship?"

"Think she'll like it?"

"I think she'll love it. And I'm very proud of you."

"Why?"

"Because you're working so hard at your reconciliation with her and it shows."

"How?"

"You're more at peace." John declined to say anything further. They brought the chosen pieces to the counter and paid for them. They thanked the ladies and left the shop. As John stepped out into the heat a rather large woman with a stroller with two dogs in it addressed him.

"Brian? What are you doing here?"

"I'm not Brian," John replied to the very confused looking woman and her equally confused partner. Just then Brian stepped out from the shop.

"Oh my, there's two of them! That is you, Brian, isn't it?" Brian extended his hand to shake hers.

"Yes, it's me. This is my brother, John. We do tend to confuse people," Brian said with a smile and a shrug. The woman turned to address John.

"Your brother was a hit down in Orlando. He was very sweet and very helpful. His knowledge of fine jewelry and china was most invaluable. He also made very generous donations to AIDS research. You must be very proud of him."

Brian blushed as John put his arm around his brother.

"I am, very proud of him," John said warmly.

"Ladies, it's all costume jewelry in there but very pretty and very amusing. We picked up a few things for the special women in our lives. I think you'll find something pretty in there for yourselves." Brian held up his bag, and wished the ladies well as they went in. Before the ladies went in, they proposed meeting for dinner. They too had just arrived in town but were staying at a nearby condo.

"I think Justin would like that and you'll meet our children." The ladies beamed and they exchanged business cards with cell numbers.

"Brian, you have got to tell me in detail what the hell went on in Orlando. I thought it was going to be a bunch of gay men running around a pool."

"So did I." The brothers broke out into laughs and as they headed for another shop, Brian began his detailed account of Brian and Justin's excellent adventures in Orlando.

*****

Some time later John and Brian's taxi pulled into the parking lot at Ripley's. Justin, Bobby and the children were sitting on a bench on the porch.

"Hey," Brian said as he and John walked up. "How was it?"

"Interesting," Bobby grinned.

"Dada," Bree said looking way up at her tall father.

"Yes, Squirt."

"Come," Bree said reaching up for her father's hand.

"She wants to show you something," Justin chuckled.

Brian tried not to groan as Bree pulled him across the parking lot. "Where are we going, Squirt?"

"House," she said and Brian noted a huge tree trunk that was tipped on its side ahead of them, with a sign saying that some man had made the hollowed interior of the giant redwood into his home.

Bree led him up the steps and he ducked his head as they entered. The compact little house had everything built into the sides of the space. There was a little kitchen and a table to sit at and a narrow bed. Brian found that he couldn't stand quite straight so he remained hunched over. Bree had released his hand and she did a little pirouette in the middle of the space.

"Mine," she said.

Brian frowned. "No, Squirt, this belongs to someone else."

The sweet little face clouded over and she repeated, "Mine."

Brian shook his head. "I know you like this little house, but it isn't yours, sweetheart."

"Mine," she wailed as the tears started down her face. "Mine, Dada."

"I'm sorry, Squirt, but it can't be done. Some things aren't ours, no matter how much we may want them."

Bree buried her face against Brian's jeans and let the sobs come. Brian sat down on the narrow little bed. He picked Bree up and cradled her against his chest. "I'd get the house for you, Squirt, if I could. You know I'd do anything for you, but this is … impossible. It's not your house. I can't get it for you."

Bree buried her face against Brian's shoulder and sobbed uncontrollably. Brian knew this was a hard lesson for both of them. He'd always given Bree everything she ever wanted, but as she got older he knew there would be things he couldn't get for her or fix for her. This was the first of many to come. God, he hated not being able to help her. So he just hung on until her sobs grew less and she gradually quieted down.

"Can I have a puppy?" Brian asked Joan. He had figured that he would start with her and then tackle Jack later. Pete who lived next door had just got a new puppy, and Brian wanted one desperately too.

"Absolutely not," Joan replied.

"But Pete has one and I really want a puppy."

"If Pete's family is stupid enough to get him a dog, then they deserve all the noise and mess that it will create."

"But…"

"No buts! We are not getting a dog. And unless you want a good whupping you will not mention this to your father," Joan said sternly. "Now go out and play."

Brian had done as his mother indicated. Pete had let him play with his dog … sometimes. But it wasn't the same as having a dog of his own. That had been a big disappointment in Brian's young life. But he had survived it. He had almost asked Jack about it a couple of weeks after he asked his mother, but something had told him not to. Maybe his mother's words. Maybe the slap he got across his face from Jack when he wouldn't eat the broccoli on his dinner plate.

"Brian?" Justin's voice said at the entrance to the little house.

"Sh," Brian cautioned. He realized Bree was asleep on his shoulder.

"What happened?" Justin whispered.

Brian stood, as much as he could, and made his way out the exit of the tree house. "I think Bree needs a nap back at the B&B. I'll explain later."

*****

Brian and ensemble arrived at the Ale House for an early dinner with the lesbians. He had made a reservation realizing that with eight of them it could be a problem getting into most restaurants.

Bree had had a good nap and seemed to have forgotten about the tree house. Brian made a mental note to keep away from Ripley's during their stay. He didn't want another episode like the one that afternoon. He also hoped he had handled it better than his mother and father had handled the puppy incident. Brian wondered when Bree might decide she wanted a puppy. He didn't think he would be able to refuse her that one.

"There they are," Justin said as he spotted the two women coming up the stairs. "Over here," he called.

When the women arrived at the table, they noted the handsome group and the two beautiful children. "My, you do have a lovely family, Brian," the taller of the two women said.

"Thanks," Brian smirked knowing that her observation was definitely true. "Um … Justin, maybe you could do the introductions."

"Sure," Justin said giving Brian the look that said he knew all too well that Brian had no idea what the women's names might be. "Myrna," Justin said indicating the taller woman, "and Jane, this is Brian's brother, John, who you met this afternoon, and his husband Bobby. That's their son, Patrick, and our daughter, Briana."

"You're married! How lovely," Jane said to John and Bobby. "What an adorable little boy. Look at all those red curls."

"Are you talking about Bobby or Patrick?" John laughed.

"He's definitely your son, Bobby," Myrna said as she sat down.

"Technically John is the biological father," Bobby said with a grin.

"Oh?" Jane reacted, a little stunned by that statement. The child certainly looked like Bobby.

"What's biological, Dad?" Patrick asked looking at John.

"Um … I'll explain later," John said hastily. "Let's get some drinks for everyone."

The men ordered beer and the ladies ordered martinis. The children had root beer although Justin wasn't too sure it was wise for Briana to have it just before bedtime. Brian said maybe she could stay up a little later since this was a special occasion. That earned him a warm smile from the lesbians.

"You sure know how to lay it on thick," Justin whispered as he leaned into Brian.

"Thank you, dear," Brian said in only a half falsetto voice. Justin gave him an elbow to the ribs.

"Has Brian told you how helpful he was at the vendors' tables at Gay Days?" Myrna asked.

"We got a shortened version," John said having passed Brian's story along to Bobby. "Perhaps you could tell us more." John gave the women his most ingratiating smile. Brian glared at him.

"Oh, it was so gallant of him," Jane said taking a big sip of her martini.

"He just knows everything about diamonds and crystal and … just everything," Myrna gushed.

"Yes," Bobby grinned trying not to burst out laughing at the look on Brian's face. "Brian knows … just everything."

"Shouldn't we order?" Brian said ignoring Bobby.

"Dada?" Bree said.

"Yes, Squirt."

"Hungy."

"I know," Brian sighed. "You're always hungry, like someone else I know."

"Well, she is my daughter," Justin smirked giving Brian back a little of his own.

Brian motioned to the waiter and told him they needed a basket of bread immediately. This time the waiter knew what he was doing and returned with the bread in less that a minute. Brian took a roll and pulled a piece off for Bree. "Here you go, Squirt."

"Thanks," Bree said with a big grin as she started nibbling on the roll.

Brian handed the rest of it to Patrick who dug in too. While the children were occupied they all placed their orders and enjoyed their drinks.

"Dada, who they?" Bree asked pointing to the two women.

"Um, they're ladies we met a few days ago," Brian replied.

Bree frowned. "Ladies?"

"Yes, Bree, ladies."

"What are ladies?"

"Girls, like you."

Bree frowned some more. "Like Gamma Jenn and Gamma Joan and Gamma Debbie and Gamm…"

"Just like that," Brian laughed, knowing how horrified his mother would be to be compared to the two dykes sitting across the table from them.

"Your daughter certainly has a lot of grandmothers," Myra laughed.

"She's a very lucky little girl," John said with a big smile. Brian had to smile back. Sometimes he wished he had half the tact that his brother did.

"Where are your babies tonight?" Justin asked.

"Babies!" Bree yelped.

"You have children?" Bobby asked.

"Oh, goodness no," Jane said, "although seeing you with your children almost makes me want some. We have two dogs, Ruby and Sapphire. We left them at our condo. We can't stay too long. They get anxious."

"Dogs?" Bree asked.

"We better eat up so you can get back to your babies," Brian said as their meals arrived. He hoped he had cut off Bree's interest in dogs before it was too late.

Brian made sure that Bree's food was cut up and ready for her and then he picked at his own. The rest of the party seemed to enjoy the food, and they all had another round of drinks.

When they left the restaurant, the lesbians told them to feel free to call and come over if they would like to lie on the beach at their condo or swim in the pool there. They caught a cab so they could get back to their babies.

"Interesting," John said as the cab pulled away.

"You certainly do have a wide range of friends, Brian," Bobby observed. "I never realized how much of Melanie's influence had rubbed off on you."

"Lesbians find me fascinating," Brian said tongue in cheek. "Remember Leda."

Justin gulped. He had long forgotten about Melanie's friend, but apparently Brian hadn't. Leda was almost as wild and wanton as Brian had been. "You did not bring up her name in polite company," Justin admonished trying to keep a straight face. "Come with me. I'm taking you home before you do something else … bizarre."

As Justin hustled Brian and their daughter over to the minivan, Bobby asked, "You ever heard of Leda before?"

John shook his head. "I'll get it out of Brian tomorrow."

"He is a source of wonderment," Bobby observed watching Brian buckle his daughter into her car seat. "Do you think we'll ever know the whole story of Brian Kinney?"

"No," was all John had to say about that.