- Text Size +

 

Sins of the Father

Chapter 14

"This is lovely!" Susan Taylor exclaimed as she looked around the condo she and her husband had rented for the week. It had its own balcony, a working kitchen, breakfast nook and spacious living room. The bedroom was very comfortable and they had a nice view of the ocean. The main town of St. Augustine was about a five minute car ride away. It was a perfect setting for a getaway.

Craig snorted. "It'll do. It's kind of cramped."

"Cramped? Who are you expecting, a football team? I think it's perfect for a romantic holiday."

"Hmm, I'm glad you're happy. Let's go ask the concierge where we can get dinner."

"Wonderful idea, sweetheart." As Craig and Susan were leaving their unit, a small mop-topped dog came running up to them and leapt into Susan's arms. "Oh, how adorable!"

"Ruby! Ruby! Come back here, you little dickens." A large woman ran towards Craig and Susan chasing her dog. "Oh thank you, she just slipped away from me."

"She's so cute," Susan gushed. Craig scowled.

"Have you just arrived?" Myrna asked as she retrieved her dog.

"Yes. This is our first time here. Do you know of any nice places to have dinner?"

"Why yes, the A1A Ale House. It has a very nice menu. My partner and I were just there having dinner with friends. You'll love it. Well, I won't keep you and thank you so much for finding Ruby. Goodnight!" Myrna bustled away leaving Susan and Craig gaping at the woman.

"What a strange woman," Craig mumbled.

"I think she's fun. Let's go ask the concierge where the Ale House is." Craig dutifully followed his wife toward the condo office.

*****

The boys got back to the B&B, parked the van but weren't interested in going inside. It was still rather light out and the air was cooler so they decided to walk off their dinner. Patrick was able to keep up for a while but soon grew tired. Bree was snoozing away in her stroller.

"Brian, we'll take her back with us. You two go on and finish your walk," John suggested to his brother. Brian and Justin nodded gratefully and steered the stroller over to John.

Brian and Justin strolled up and down the narrow streets, soaking up the local atmosphere, stealing discreet kisses in the shadows. They turned a corner and found themselves on Cordova Street.

"Bri, according to the map, the Love Tree is supposed to be on this street." Justin commented.

"And you want to see it, Sunshine?"

"We are here." Justin looked up at his spouse and gently batted his eyelashes. It was a ridiculously romantic and touristy thing to do but Brian could not refuse Justin anything. Brian smiled then took Justin's hand in his and brought it to his lips. A few moments later they stood in front of a funny looking tree. It was actually two trees, an oak tree growing around a palm tree. The sturdy oak was wrapped around the lithe palm, forever linked, separate and yet inseparable. Brian wrapped his arms around Justin as they silently gazed up at the tree. Justin felt Brian's chin resting on top of his head and then heard him sigh. A sweet smile came to Justin's face; the lovers needed no words. Brian released Justin with a kiss to his temple; they then walked back to the B&B.

"Hey. Did she behave?" Justin whispered as he entered John and Bobby's room. The connecting door of their shared bathroom was open. Bree was sleeping soundly on the bed Justin shared with Brian.

"She was an angel. How was your walk?" Bobby asked Justin.

"Very nice. We saw the Love Tree. You should go. We'll keep an eye on Patrick." Patrick was sleeping on a small cot in their room. "Go on, there's a nice breeze out. He'll be fine."

John and Bobby nodded in agreement. They'd been with both children non-stop for over a week and could use a little grown up time. As John and Bobby left for their walk, Justin went through the bathroom to his room. He stopped at the door when he saw Brian nestled close to Briana gently carding his fingers through her fine hair; the child remained fast asleep. Brian looked up as Justin quietly padded into the room.

"She's out," Brian said quietly.

"I see that, so is Patrick. We did a lot today. I sent John and Bobby out. They need some time alone." Brian nodded.

"We should do something for them, send them away somewhere. It was so good of them to take care of the Squirt while we played." Justin changed into his sleep clothes then laid down next to Brian and Bree.

"I had a nice time today," Justin murmured as he gave his daughter a kiss on her head.

"So did I, Sunshine." Brian shed his clothes leaving on his briefs and drawing the sheet over the three of them. He felt himself drifting when he felt a small cool hand on his shoulder.

"Uncle Bri?"

"Hey, Sonny Boy, do you need something?" Brian turned to see the sleep-groggy boy. Patrick shook his head.

"Where's dad and daddy?"

"They went for a walk; they'll be back soon. Wanna climb in?" Brian lifted the sheet. Patrick nodded, climbed over his uncle and settled next to Bree. He yawned then went back to sleep. Justin smiled sleepily at Brian then closed his eyes. Brian couldn't help but count his blessings as he too went to sleep.

*****

"Should we wake them?" Bobby asked John as they looked down at the four sleeping beauties.

"No, let them sleep," John answered then waggled his eyebrows at Bobby in a very Brian Kinney like way. Bobby smiled broadly as they went back to their room, closing the connecting doors behind them.

*****

"Craig, I could have sworn that was Brian we saw near the Love Tree."

"No, it couldn't have been. Brian Kinney wouldn't be caught dead in a place like this. And if it was him, then that proves his relationship with my son is a sham. That certainly wasn't Justin unless he all of a sudden became a red head."

"Well, there must be some explanation because that man looked exactly like Brian Kinney."

"Hmm."

*****

Brian awoke with a start. He could feel Bree blowing on his neck.

"What are you doing, Squirt?"

"Patwick is sleeping with us. How come?"

"He was tired and his dads went for a walk."

"Oh."

"Are you ready to get up?"

"Yes, hungy."

"That word is hungry, Squirt. Some day you'll have to learn to pronounce it properly, since you use it so often."

"Hungry," Bree said with a smirk.

Brian looked at her and then a smile flitted across his face. "Can you say Patrick?"

"Patrick," Bree replied as clear as a bell. Her smirk widened.

"Why you little…" Brian laughed as he scooped Bree up and kissed her cheek.

"She learned that from you," Justin said rubbing his eyes. "She has the perfect role model for smirk."

"Thank you very much, ladies and germs," Brian chuckled dancing Bree around the room. "Tell Daddy how you feel, Bree."

"Hungry," she said with a giggle. She liked when her Dada was silly like this.

"How long do you think she's been able to say those words properly?" Justin asked sliding out of bed.

"Who knows?" Brian laughed.

"What's going on?" Patrick asked sleepily as he rubbed his eyes.

"Morning, Patwick," Bree said with a giggle.

Justin shook his head as he headed for the bathroom.

*****

Breakfast having been eaten and enjoyed, the little band of merrymakers headed out for the famous lighthouse at the point. They parked the van and Justin lifted his daughter out of her car seat. Brian had dressed her in a little pink dress and pink sandals. She looked like a little doll.

They paid their entry fees with much discussion as to who would make the climb to the top of the lighthouse. They all got tickets to go up, but that didn't mean they all would.

Outside the lighthouse, they all looked up admiring the impressive black and white structure. It was painted precisely and made a striking backdrop for pictures.

"Bree, picture," Brian said. His daughter immediately stopped and turned to face her father. She posed with a big smile staring into the camera. "Perfect," Brian said. Bree smiled and giggled. She then ran over to Patrick and the two of them started racing around the grassy area outside the lighthouse.

"Bree, Patrick," Justin called. The two stopped and looked over at the man. "Picture."

Bree grabbed her cousin around the neck and kissed his cheek. Brian clicked photo after photo as the two children frolicked and posed for him.

"Aren't those children adorable?" Susan asked Craig as they got to the bottom of the lighthouse and stood in the doorway.

"Who cares about fucking kids?" Craig gasped. He was sure he was going to have a heart attack from climbing to the top of the fucking lighthouse. That's what he got for having a much younger wife. "I need something to drink before I die of dehydration," Craig whined.

"Bree, Patrick, come over here," Brian called. The two children ran over to Brian and John who were sitting on the steps of the museum.

Susan saw them run off, but she didn't pay any more attention as she got a look at the gray cast to Craig's complexion. "Let's go back to the gift shop," she said hurriedly putting her arm around Craig's waist and letting him lean on her as they quickly left the yard to get some water for Craig.

"You guys sit down on the step for a few minutes," John instructed the children. "If you keep running around in this heat, you're going to make yourself sick." He handed each of them a sippy cup so they could replenish some of the liquid they had just run off.

"I wish I had half their energy," Brian laughed.

"Me too," Justin giggled. "So, who's up for the climb to the top?"

Justin, Bobby and Patrick decided they would make the climb of the 219 steps to the top of the lighthouse. John wasn't quite sure about his little son making the journey to the top but Patrick was determined. Briana found it a little frightening so she had no objection to staying on terra firma with her dada and Uncle John. After about ten minutes, Justin, Bobby and Patrick emerged from the lighthouse door at the top of the tower to wave down at John, Brian and Bree. They all took several pictures of each other then Brian decided to check out the gift shop. He found certificates certifying the bearer had indeed climbed the lighthouse. He purchased three certificates and had them inscribed with the appropriate names. Brian found a few other mementos of their visit to the lighthouse then went outside to greet the conquering heroes.

Craig sat in the passenger seat of their rented car. The air conditioner was going full blast as he was gulping down a bottle of water.

"Honey, we'll be back at the condo in a few minutes. We'll rest for the remainder of the afternoon," Susan said as she carefully drove them back. Craig sat back in his seat and prayed he'd make it back okay.

*****

"Brian, where should we go next?" Justin asked as they all piled into the van.

"I'm not the keeper of the map, Sunshine. Where would you all like to go?"

"Some place cool," John suggested.

"The Lightener Museum should be cool," Bobby added. "The museum is famous for its decorative glass exhibit and eclectic art collection."

"Just as long as it's air conditioned, I'm in. Do you think the kids will get bored?" Brian wondered if the museum would be too tedious for the children.

"They did well at Ripley's; I think they'll be okay," Justin said with confidence.

"Then the Lightener Museum it is!" Brian pulled out of the lighthouse parking lot and onto the road.

The Lightener Museum started out its life as the high class Hotel Alcazar in 1887, then in 1946 the building was purchased by the publisher Otto C. Lightener who decided to use it to house his extensive collection of Victorian period pieces. A couple of years later he turned the building into a museum. The museum houses a vast collection of Victorian furniture, statuary in the restored ballroom and one entire hall of Victorian cut crystal glass. Interspersed with the exhibits were period paintings and several preserved animals that had so fascinated the Victorians. Down one hall was the restored shelf seating of a Russian bath house complete with the vents that once allowed the steam to escape. Brian sat down on one of the shelves with Bree perched on his lap to rest for a moment.

1999

"Brian, fancy meeting you here."

"Theodore, experiencing how the other half lives?"

"Something like that. Thought I'd get lucky."

"You mean pick up a reject or two."

"Maybe. At the very least I'd get an education."

"What the fuck does that mean?"

"First hand knowledge of Brian Kinney's pick up lines."

"I don't need lines, Theodore. They come to me because I'm the best fuck they'll ever have." A raven haired, olive skinned well built man appeared in front of Brian. Brian looked up and gave him a little smirk then spread his thighs. The trick got down on his knees. "Don't need lines, Theodore, like a moth to a flame," Brian mumbled as he leaned back and closed his eyes as the trick was doing pleasant things to his cock.

"Just be careful you don't get burned," Teddy counseled as he got up and left the steam room.

"Dada?" Briana looked up and patted her Dada's face.

"Sorry, Squirt, Dada went into la la land for a moment. "Let's go find your Daddy." Brian got up and left the bathhouse behind.

*****

"Brian, come and see this glass panel." Justin stood in the doorway leading to another gallery staring up at a stained glass panel that hung over the doorway. "He looks familiar."

The panel wasn't very big, perhaps two feet by one, nor the pattern very intricate. But the face of the man portrayed was very intense.

"He reminds me of Kinney. Do you think this is Patrick's work?" Justin asked Brian.

"I have no idea, Sunshine. The journals never mentioned Florida but it is possible that they spent time here or perhaps the window found its way here. There is some resemblance to Kinney but nothing conclusive. I don't see a placard indicating where this piece came from or who the subject is. Your guess is as good as mine, Justin." Justin pondered what Brian said and decided to take a picture of the panel.

"If it is Kinney then at least I have a picture. If not, it'll be just another photo I've taken to remember our trip by," Justin said as he snapped away. Brian nodded then stepped into another gallery.

Brian heard a little rumble of Briana's tummy and thought it best to make a preemptive strike. "Justin, I think we better find the others. A trip to the museum's café may be needed and soon." Brian looked at Justin who immediately got his meaning. Justin called Bobby on his cell and they all met downstairs at the café for lunch.

*****

"Myrna, honey?"

"What is it, sweetheart?" They were soaking up the sun by the condo's poolside. Susan Taylor was dozing in a nearby lounge chair with her hair up under a large hat and wearing a pair of sunglasses.

"Do you think the boys would like to join us for dinner? We haven't gone to the Shark House since the last time we were here. I think the boys would enjoy it," Jane asked her partner.

"What a wonderful suggestion! Why don't you call one of them and see if they're available." As Jane pulled her pink cell phone out of her bag, Myrna made an observation. "You know I really didn't want to go to Gay Days this year; it's getting all so tedious. All those brash homos running around half naked, sticking their asses where they don't belong. But I have to admit, Brian and Justin made it a very nice experience." Jane nodded her agreement as she punched in the numbers to Brian's cell.

'That was Brian I saw,' Susan thought to herself. 'But who was that red-head?'

*****

"Bri, who was that?" Brian flipped his phone closed and had a slightly pained look on his face. He took a deep breath then blurted out his conversation.

"That was Jane and she wants to know if we'd like to join them for dinner later tonight at some place called the Shark House. It's a restaurant on the beach halfway to Daytona. She said we'd like the food." Brian watched as everyone happily nodded, looking forward to another new dining experience. He let out a dramatic sigh as he mumbled into his salad, "More fun with lesbians." He didn't bother looking up as his companions all cracked up with laughter.

The rest of the afternoon, the group wandered the streets of the town, stopping at all the boutiques and buying ice cream at one of the many ice cream parlors on St. George Street. They found a bench and rested as they ate. Brian shared Bree's vanilla cone before it became a runny mess. Justin stared at his partner and daughter intensely.

"You look as if you've never seen Brian eat ice cream before," Bobby said into Justin's ear.

"He doesn't very often, but when he does..." Justin let out a long sigh. Memories of ice cream kisses a la Brian Kinney on the chaise flooded his mind. Justin's cheeks blushed pink.

"You don't have to say another word, Justin. God, is there anything you two haven't done?" Bobby chuckled.

Justin gave the question a perfunctory thought then answered, "Nope, I don't think so." Justin and Bobby giggled out loud as Brian finished off the last of Bree's cone and took out a moist towelette to wipe off Briana's face and hands.

"What?" Brian gaped at the giggling men.

"Nothing, I just love you." Justin leaned over and kissed Brian and Bree's cheeks. "Let's go walk off the ice cream." Justin said as he again consulted his map. "I think there's a children's boutique called 'Tickled Pink' down this way. Maybe we can find someone a new outfit." Brian smiled at that and they were off.