- Text Size +

 

Sins of the Father

Chapter 16

"Myrna, how are you?" Justin said into his cell phone. "We're in the parking lot."

"Come on up," Myra replied. "We're on the second floor. Room number 208."

"See you in a minute."

They grabbed their beach bags and the children's hands and started up the steps. Justin stopped on the third step feeling instinctively that Brian wasn't behind him. He held onto Bree's hand as he turned to look back.

Brian stood next to the van staring up at the building. He seemed to be in some other place and time. Justin frowned with worry.

"Brian, what's wrong?" he asked as John and Bobby stopped at the top of the steps to see what was the matter.

"More fun with lesbians," Brian mumbled.

"Huh?" Justin asked.

"What has my life become?"

"Your life is just fine. Come on."

"I … can't."

Justin sighed. What could have triggered another Brian queen out. He leaned down and spoke to Bree who scooted up the steps to join John, Bobby and Patrick. "Wait for us?" Justin called to them and John nodded. Justin went back down the steps and wrapped his arm around Brian's waist. "It's okay, big guy. We're only here so we can use the beach. You don't have to spend a lot of time with the girls."

"They like me," Brian said absently.

"Yeah?"

"They like me. Where did my life go so wrong?"

Justin tried not to laugh. He really did, but a small chuckle escaped. "You'll be fine. I'll protect you from the big, bad lesbians," Justin promised.

"You will?"

"Absolutely, now let's get up there, so we can have some time on the beach."

"If I have to…"

"You do. You can do this. I have confidence in you, big guy. Come on." Justin took Brian's hand and led him up the steps.

They all made their way up to the small apartment in the Beachcomber resort. Jane had the door open waiting for them and two little rag mop dogs barked from Myrna's arms.

Bree looked warily at the dogs not sure what to make of them. She held tight to Justin's hand as they went inside. Myrna set the dogs down and they ran barking and jumping at Patrick and Bree who were much more their size than the adults.

"Daddy!" Bree cried as the dogs jumped on her.

"Sapphire, Ruby, you behave," Myrna chastised them and they quieted down somewhat.

Justin squatted down and took Ruby by her collar. "Bree, pet Ruby. Then she won't jump on you."

Bree warily looked at her father. She let Justin take her hand and run it over the fur on the back of the little dog. "Doggy," she giggled with pleasure as Ruby licked her face.

"Nice doggy," Justin laughed.

John was doing the same thing with Patrick and Sapphire, although Patrick was much more comfortable with dogs having spent a lot of time with old Beau at his Grandma Claire's.

"You're very quiet today, Brian," Myrna said.

"Yeah, quiet."

"Is there a problem?" she asked.

"No, no problem."

"Let's go to the beach then," Jane said. "I have umbrellas and everything we'll need." She headed out the door followed by the others.

"Come on, Brian. You'll be fine," Justin said as he took Brian's hand as well as Bree's and led them out the door.

Brian and company braved the lesbians and followed them to the beach where they set up their umbrellas, blankets and towels. The group decided to stay close to the main building just in case the kids needed anything or got too tired to make the trek down the beach. Brian gazed up and down the beach. If it were just he and Justin, they would have found a deserted strip of sand where they could be alone, perhaps make out and grope each other. Instead Brian was the dutiful father and spouse, playing it safe.

"Brian, dear?" Myrna sensed Brian's anxiety as they sat under the umbrellas. Bobby and John were frolicking near the water's edge with the children; Jane and Justin were off in search of interesting shells.

"We overwhelm you, don't we?" Myrna may have been a bit over the top but she wasn't ignorant to how others viewed her and her partner.

"No, um, not really. I just never had..." Brian hesitated, normally he was so brutally honest, blurting out how he felt or what he observed. This time he did not want to appear rude.

"It's all right; you can say what's on your mind."

"I never had any use for lesbians. I mean my son Gus, his mother is a lesbian, and she's been with her partner for a long time. She's one of my closest friends. I...I love her a lot but her partner hates me."

Brian had no idea why he felt compelled to tell Myrna all his secrets. Maybe it was her big pink straw hat or her huge pink framed sunglasses, Myrna reminded Brian of Debbie, a bit. He could never hide his true feelings from Debbie.

"I can't believe that. You're a complete sweetheart and a gentleman. It's obvious that your whole world revolves around Justin and Briana."

"It is?" Brian hadn't a clue.

"Yes, it is. Brian, I know how I come across, and Jane isn't as flighty as she may appear. We have normal jobs and responsibilities at home. But when on vacation we let our hair down. Brian, you and I know appearances can be deceiving. You're a businessman. I imagine you're always impeccably dressed and used to having your orders carried out without question."

"Something like that."

"And now you're on vacation but you still find it difficult to go with the flow."

"A little, but I'm learning. I didn't realize I was so transparent."

"Only to one who's been there. Am I correct in assuming that you had a bit of a reputation before you made your commitment to your young man?"

Brian nodded.

"So did I. I wasn't always over the hill. I did have a nice figure, way back when. And the reputation to go with it. I thoroughly enjoyed myself with men and women for many, many years."

"Until you met Jane?"

"No. I wish it was that simple and that romantic. I got married. Yes, to a man. Al was very handsome and very kind. He didn't demand much of me and was a little disappointed when we found out I couldn't have children."

"I'm sorry."

"It's all right. I've had years to get used to it and I have my 'babies.' Al was a smoker and wound up with lung cancer, a very aggressive form and he wasn't diagnosed until it was too late. But when God closes one door, he opens another. I met Jane at his funeral. She worked in the same office building as Al. They rode the elevator together each day. She thought he was a nice man and when she learned he died she found out where the funeral was going to be held and showed up. She has this innate goodness about her."

"Like Justin."

"Yes, like Justin. He is a sweet boy."

"And he puts up with me."

"You are his life! Anyone can see that." Brian frowned. "Oh Brian, that young man isn't doing anything he doesn't want to do. He's exactly where he wants to be and with whom. Stop trying to overanalyze everything, you'll only succeed in worrying yourself into an early grave."

Brian winced.

"Ah, I see I've hit a nerve. You're the worrier in the family. Jane is ours. Slowly but surely, I'm breaking her of that. Brian you have been blessed by whatever god you may believe in; relish in that and don't worry about what may have gone on before. You can't change the past but you're able to influence your future. Be happy. Your sweet little girl is, and she's wearing pink too," Myrna said with a wink.

"Are you saying that all my troubles will disappear if I wear pink?" Brian said with a smirk and a mischievous gleam in his eyes.

"Maybe not all, but it couldn't hurt to wear something pink now and then. I bet Armani makes pink ties and shirts," Myrna stated with a broad smile. Her smile was matched by Brian's as he leaned his head back on the lounge chair.

Lesbians weren't half bad and some of them made a lot of sense.

"Craig, don't look now but I think I see Brian with that red-headed man and those children from the lighthouse. See, that blond little girl. Is that your granddaughter?"

"I'm going to find out."

"No, not yet. You can't make a scene here; not in front of all these people. Besides you'll scare the children. We can follow them later back to town. They're probably staying at a local hotel."

"Since when have you gotten so devious?"

"Since I married you. You're starting to burn. Let's go back to the room."

"We'll take the long way around. I saw those crazy women who wear a lot of pink earlier. They're probably on the beach somewhere. I don't want to run into them or their stupid little dogs." Craig grabbed Susan's hand and they went back to their room.

Later on as the sun was going down, the group went back to the condo and Jane suggested pizza. There was a pizzeria that delivered and it would give the men time to clean out all the sand the children seemed to have accumulated. Myrna suggested giving the kids a quick shower then changing into clean clothes. Being very adept at fast group showers and of course having enough clothes for days in the van, the suggestion was approved.

Brian, Justin and Bree quickly showered then changed into clean shorts and t-shirts. They wrapped Bree in a towel to dress her in the bedroom while John, Bobby and Patrick had their shower. In the meantime the pizzas arrived.

The group was hard pressed to maneuver eight people in a condo that was made for a maximum of four but they managed. Jane entertained the children by making little necklaces and bracelets out of the smaller shells she and Justin found. Justin had some permanent markers in his ever present messenger bag and drew little designs on some of the shells. The kids were in heaven.

It was getting close to ten when the group disbanded. In a couple of days, Myrna and Jane would be flying back to Chicago and home. With everyone pitching in, the condo was cleaned up, the van packed and they were all saying their goodnights. Brian lagged behind for a moment.

"Thank you, Myrna, I had a good time tonight." Brian beamed a genuine smile at the older woman.

"You have my card with my email address, when Justin has a show in Chicago, you must tell us. We'd love to go."

"And if you ever come East, let us know. We'd love to see you both."

"More fun with lesbians," Myrna said jovially.

"Yes, apparently lesbians like me," Brian said with his tongue in his cheek as he gave Myrna the biggest bear hug he could muster. He went down and gave Jane a hug as she came up the stairs. Myrna and Jane watched and waved from the railing as the van pulled away.

"Damn, we missed them. But I think I'd recognize their van if I saw it again. You slept through the whole thing," Susan admonished her sleepy husband. Craig mumbled something then rolled over on the sofa.

*****

"Brian, what's wrong? You've gotten quiet again." They were getting Bree ready for bed.

"Nothing, Sunshine. I had a nice day today."

"You did? Even with the lesbians?"

"Especially with the lesbians. Lesbians like me!"

"What's not to like," Justin said as he gave Brian a kiss and a hug. They snuggled down next to Bree on the bed and fell quickly to sleep. Around two in the morning, Brian felt a tiny hand patting his face.

"Pee pee, Dada," Briana whispered.

"Okay, Squirt." Brian gave a little stretch as he got them both out of bed and into the bathroom. While Bree was preoccupied, Brian took out his cell phone to text Gus.

"Hey, Gus, how about you and me spend a few days in New York City when I get back, just us guys. Love you, Sonny Boy. See you soon. Dad." Satisfied with the message, Brian hit send then went to see to Briana.

The next morning the Piece of Plenty was very quiet. Sleeping in was the order of the day.

*****

"Craig, will you please tell me what is this obsession you have regarding Brian Kinney. I admit I'm very curious about this other man we've been seeing with him but that doesn't explain all that research you've been doing."

"Susan, I have no idea what you're talking about. What research?"

"Don't bullshit me, Craig. I've heard the phone calls and seen the charts. Ever since that man came from Panama you've had some investigator following Brian, something like that. I want the truth and I want it now."

Craig Taylor tried to logically explain to his wife what they might have to gain by discrediting Brian and possibly taking control of Patrick Taylor's estate, if there was any. At the very least, they could profit from the legacy of his artwork. But it all came out like nonsense. There were no legal documents found and Patrick's artwork while unique was sparse and not as sought after as Kinney's. Susan could not understand her husband's hatred for all things Kinney.

"HE FUCKING STOLE MY SON AND TRIED TO TURN MY DAUGHTER AGAINST ME! And now he wants to steal whatever legacy that Patrick Taylor may have left. By all rights it should go to me, I'm the next in line. And now that fucking bastard is cheating on my son. I will get him."

"Craig! Honey, you're not making any sense. All these years you've denied having a son, why now? Why after all this time? Why can't you just call Justin, reach out to him. He's such a sweet young man, I'm sure he'd jump at the chance to be a family again." Susan pleaded with Craig but to no avail. Craig refused to see reason. Susan was afraid that he'd get hurt. After all, she still loved her husband.

*****

"No, stop!" Justin woke up with a start and found he was alone in bed. He scrubbed at his eyes until his sleep fog cleared. He heard the shower going and surmised that Brian and Bree must be in the bathroom; at least, that's what he hoped. Justin was about to find out when Brian came through the bedroom door.

"Justin! What happened?" Brian was coming to wake Justin and heard his cry from the hall.

"Nightmare. Where were you?" Brian sat next to Justin and drew him close to his chest.

"John and I were getting the kids breakfast. We all woke up late but Seamus was able to rustle up some cereal for the kids and he made us a pot of coffee. It'll hold us until we find a restaurant. Bobby just got out of the shower." Brian gave Justin a kiss. "Hobbs again?"

"No. It was Craig, that night when he hit you. I wish...I wasn't strong enough to stop it."

"Justin, you were a kid. And he's your father."

"But he hurt you. He..."

"Shhh, that was a long time ago, he can't hurt us anymore." Brian held onto Justin and rocked a soothing motion that always worked for Bree. That's how John found them.

"Brian?" John arched a brow reminiscent of Brian.

"Nightmare," Brian said softly.

"Okay, take your time." Brian nodded as John backed out of the room.

"It's okay, Sunshine, no one will ever hurt us again." Brian continued his rocking motion until Justin relaxed and drifted back to sleep. "I promise, Justin," Brian whispered into the sleeping blond's head. "He'll never hurt you again."

About an hour later, Justin awoke cradled in Brian's strong arms. He allowed Brian to bathe away the scent of fear and disappointment. Time was limited. Brian would have made love to Justin, instead he sucked off Justin, relaxing his partner and chasing away the hurt. Some time later, they were ready to face the day.