- Text Size +

 

Sins of the Father

Chapter 18

The troops all met up at the Ale House for lunch. They had decided that this was their favorite place to eat in St. Augustine. They ordered their beer or root beer, as the case might be, and then placed their lunch orders.

"I had some wine sent home from the San Sebastian winery," Brian announced. "I got a couple of cases, one red and one white. I thought we could split them when they arrive."

"Sounds good to me, although we usually eat at your place anyway," John laughed.

"Justin's a good cook," Bobby stated.

"Yeah," Patrick agreed.

"Hey, what about my breakfasts?" Brian wanted to know.

"Your breakfasts are legendary, Brian," Bobby laughed, "but I don't think we'll be wanting the wine with breakfast."

"There have been days when that would have suited me fine," Brian said thinking back.

"But not anymore," Justin said squeezing Brian's shoulder.

"No, not anymore."

They sipped their drinks as they waited for their lunches to arrive. Brian found himself thinking about his trip with Gus that would happen after they got back home. It made him think of the one time he had been invited to go with Michael and Debbie to the Poconos. That was their yearly vacation for as long as Brian could remember. He thought back to that day when he had asked his father, Joan having said it would be up to his father whether he could go or not.

"Dad?" Brian began when he saw Jack ensconced in front of the TV after dinner. He had a beer in his hand which always made him a little more mellow. Brian hated it when they were out of beer. Then he and Claire made sure to hide out in their rooms or get out of the house if possible. The wrath of a sober and thirsty Jack Kinney was not something they wanted any part of. "I have something to ask you."

"How much is it going to cost me?"

"Nothing. Not much," Brian said quickly.

Jack sighed and took a pull of his beer. "What is it?" he asked wearily.

"Um … Michael and Debbie are going to the Poconos for a week starting this Saturday. They asked me to come with them. Can I go?"

"Fuck no! You've got chores to do around here. None of the rest of us get vacations, so why should you?" Jack demanded.

"But…"

"Don't you start sassing me, boy! Get up to your room and forget all about vacations. You're not going anywhere with that little faggot and his mother."

Brian shuddered.

"You okay?" Justin asked with a frown. "What happened?"

"Just a bad memory."

"Of what?"

"Dada?" Bree asked. "Hungry."

"She said hungry. I heard her definitely say the 'r' all by herself," Justin gushed.

"I heard it too," John said and Bobby nodded in agreement.

"Have you been coaching her?" Justin asked Brian.

"Maybe a little," Brian smirked. "But she's my beautiful and smart little girl, aren't you, Squirt?"

"Yes, Dada," Bree said with a giggle. "Hungry."

"She's growing up," Brian said rather wistfully.

"Yeah, in about fifteen more years, she'll be going out on her own," Justin laughed.

"You just don't understand sentiment," Brian declared, his tongue firmly in his cheek.

"Hungry!" Bree said more forcefully with a decided frown on her face.

Just then the waiter appeared with their orders and Bree dug right in. All was right in her world.

As they finished up lunch, John said that he was going to go over to Flagler College to have a look at the beautiful old buildings that were on the grounds. According to him and the guidebook they were a masterpiece of Spanish renaissance design.

"When did you decide you liked Spanish Renaissance?" Brian wanted to know.

"I'm not sure that I do, but you never know when a little of the influence from seeing these buildings might creep into one of my designs," John said smugly.

"My eclectic big brother," Brian laughed. "I think I'll let you do the buildings and I'll shop."

"Good Lord, Brian, you just sent four boxes of stuff back to Pittsburgh."

"To Bridgeton actually," Brian corrected him. "I don't want to miss anything."

"Bree, do you want to come with Patrick and us. Your daddies can have some alone time," Bobby suggested.

Bree nodded and reached for Patrick's hand.

"We'll meet up back at the B&B," John said as they started off down the street. "You guys can take the van, and we'll either walk or get a cab."

"So, where shall we start, Sunshine?" Brian smirked.

"Behave!" Justin said with a swat to the chest.

"I'd say I've been on my very best behavior for the last two weeks."

"Especially your very best bad behavior when we were in Orlando," Justin giggled.

"I try," Brian smiled.

"And you are very good at it."

"Wait till we get home."

"Did you ship the dildo?" Justin whispered trying to refrain from blushing at the mere mention of their new toy which they had so effectively experimented with in Orlando.

"As per your request."

"Well, I didn't want airport security dragging it out of our bags and asking for an explanation."

"It would only enhance their education," Brian smirked.

"You are so incorrigible."

"And that's why you love me."

"Absolutely."

"Let's walk to St. George. The van's fine where we left it."

"Sounds like a plan."

*****

Flagler College wasn't all that far up King Street so John and Bobby decided to take the walk slowly. Brian and Justin turned up St. George Street towards the shops.

"My brother certainly is passionate about old buildings," Brian observed out loud.

"He's passionate about a lot of things," Justin countered as they were approaching a shoe boutique.

Brian stopped short to glare down at Justin with just a hint of jealousy in his eyes. Justin watched as the hazel eyes became a deep hunter green.

"Brian," Justin reached up to gently stroke his partner's cheek then continued, choosing his words wisely. "Your brother is passionate about his family, his partner and his son. That passion carries over to us. He loves us, and like you, he'd defend us. That's what I mean about passionate. When John loves, he loves completely, just like you do."

The hazel eyes grew lighter again. There were times when Justin proved to Brian just how smart he really was. Brian kissed Justin's palm and they continued on.

"Look at this, Sunshine. The shelves are moving." They stopped in front of the shoe store to watch the odd display. On the shelves were tiny pink clogs. "Oooo!" Brian exclaimed as he spied the pink footwear.

"Oh, Brian!" Justin burst out laughing. "You sound like Emmett. Let's go in, I know you want to." Justin opened the door for his partner.

*****

"Craig, what a beautiful building. According to the pamphlet, the college was once a luxury hotel," Susan went on and on gushing over the old building.

"Are all the old buildings down here former hotels?" Noting that the Lightner Museum right across from the college was also once a luxury hotel.

"No, some buildings were churches," Susan said a bit sarcastically. She was growing tired of her husband's lack of enthusiasm. They went out of the main doors and into the courtyard. There were a few summer students hanging about and a couple of other tourists. That's when Craig saw him.

"You fucking bastard!" Craig roared, attempting to rip away the camera in the taller man's hands. "You stole my son, you stole Patrick Taylor's legacy and now you have the nerve to cheat on him with this, that red-headed whore!" Craig pointed at Bobby who was on the other side of the courtyard with the kids. They couldn't hear what Craig was saying but saw him wildly gesturing. John motioned for them to stay where they were. It pained Bobby not to stand up to this apparent lunatic accosting his spouse but he had to think of the children. Bobby kept both kids close and stayed put.

"I don't know who you think I am but you should leave before someone calls the cops." John looked tall and mean. At first glance he looked almost identical to the enraged Brian that kicked Craig's ass last September but then Craig got a good look at John. A few more laugh lines around the eyes. A little greying at the temple. The broader, heavier musculature. Craig gasped.

"Craig? What are you doing?" Susan cried out.

"Dad?! What the fuck are you doing to John?" Justin yelled. "And where are the children?" Justin desperately looked around for his daughter and Patrick. They had cut their shopping junket short after buying the pink clogs for Bree. They decided they too wanted to soak up some old buildings.

"You better give me one good reason not to tear you apart, you motherfucker," Brian growled low like a lion defending his pride. His fists were balled, ready to strike.

Both Craig and Susan were flabbergasted at the sight of John and Brian. They had no idea what to make of it all.

Bobby edged closer with the children.

"Daddy?" Briana called out for Justin. "Who dat man?"

"That man, unfortunately, is your grandpa." Justin held the child in his arms and shook his head. He was almost embarrassed by the man he had once loved and admired so dearly as a child. Now he had only pity for him. "Dad, before my partner pops a blood vessel, would you mind explaining what's going on here?"

"That's what I'd like to know," John added as he kissed Bobby's cheek then picked up his son.

Craig was too dumbfounded to say anything, his eyes kept darting back and forth between the brothers. Susan decided it was time to clear the air. Craig's legs began to buckle. Years of keeping up the hate in his heart were now taking their toll. Susan let out a little cry, unable to hold Craig's weight. Brian and Bobby grabbed the man before he landed on the concrete, and brought him to a nearby bench.

"Justin, maybe you should introduce us to your friends." Susan regained her composure somewhat. Justin nodded.

"Susan, Craig, this is John Anderson, he's Brian's older brother. This is Bobby Morrison, John's life partner and Patrick, their son. You know Brian." The aforementioned Brian snorted. "And this is Briana, our daughter." Briana wasn't too happy about the grumpy people she was meeting so she stayed quiet in her daddy's arms, giving them her version of the Brian Kinney death glare.

"John, Bobby, this...this is Craig Taylor, my father and Susan, his wife."

John nodded at Susan. Craig was staring at his sneakers as Bobby was slipping into lawyer mode.

"Mr. Taylor, why were you attacking John and by default attacking Brian? It's obvious you've mistaken John for Brian. I have to warn you, I'm not only John's partner but his and this family's lawyer. If you don't want a lawsuit on your hands I suggest that you or Mrs. Taylor explain your actions."

John beamed at his spouse. It wasn't often that he got to witness Bobby in lawyer mode. He was so proud he was practically bursting. Brian noticed the look on John's face and he knew he wore that same look when he accompanied Justin to one of his shows. The Kinney men had it bad for their feisty twinks.

"I, um..." Craig sputtered, unable to formulate a coherent sentence. Susan placed her hand on Craig and attempted to explain Craig's growing obsession.

"Justin, you know that your father never really accepted you're a, um..."

"Sexual orientation?" Justin supplied.

"Yes, but ever since that man visited from Panama, it's gotten worse."

"What has?"

"His belief that somehow Brian stole you away from him and that he cheated your dad out of his share of Patrick Taylor's legacy. And well, we've seen Brian with Mr. Morrison. We thought Brian was cheating on you."

This time John snorted and Brian burst into giggles. Bobby rolled his eyes at the absurdity of the whole thing.

Justin handed Bree to Brian then squatted in front of his father and Susan. "First things first, Brian didn't steal me. You couldn't face having a gay son and I couldn't live a lie. We both made mistakes. I ran head first to Brian and I can't tell you how many times he tried to push me away but I'm stubborn."

"Tenacious twat," Brian mumbled as he bounced Bree in his arms and kissed her nose that looked so much like her daddy's.

"Dad, there is no Patrick Taylor legacy other than the seeds of his family. He was an artist but he never developed his talents. His partner John Aidan Brian Kinney was the artist in the family. Patrick appeared to be satisfied with supporting him, emotionally not monetarily. Kinney was a landowner in Bridgeton in the 1800's. Most of the land was sold off over the years but the remainder is owned by John and his mother. As for Brian cheating on me..."

Justin stopped and looked up into Brian's eyes. He saw the twinkle Justin knew he had put there. Justin saw his love reflected back.

"He wouldn't dare. He so loves me. I suspect you saw John and Bobby; John and Brian can pass for twins. Brian was never into red-heads. Now if Bobby were dark..." Brian stepped closer and placed his hand over Justin's mouth.

"Sunshine, your mouth runneth over. Mrs. Taylor, take your husband home. Try to make him see reason. We're going home tomorrow. Justin has accumulated extensive documentation on Kinney and Patrick. If you're interested in learning about what we know of Patrick, call me. We can meet for lunch some time." Brian handed Susan his business card.

"Brian," Justin was about to protest. This was his fight with his father not Brian's.

"Justin, neutral ground, away from the kids. Trust me on this."

"See, he bosses you around. Tells you what to do like you don't count." Craig finally found his voice and began to spit venom.

"No, Craig, that's you. Brian is just protecting me, like he always does."

"I tried to protect you from this molester. And how can you trust him with your daughter?" Justin saw red and was about to let it fly when Brian shoved Bree into his arms.

"Mr. Taylor..." Brian began when Bobby stepped between them.

"Mr. Taylor, adding slander to your assault charges won't help your case, will it?"

"I can't change what you think of me and frankly I don't give a shit. But if you want a chance at reconciling with your son and knowing your granddaughter then you're going to have to deal with me. I can't help it if I get overbearing. I'm in love with your son and I will make sure YOU never hurt him again. Let's go Justin; we have to pack." Brian ushered his family toward the main gate. Bobby lagged behind.

"Mr. Taylor, I am licensed to practice law in several states, Florida being one of them. As an officer of the court I am obligated to report criminal behavior. You can take this as a threat or friendly advice; don't mess with my family. Justin would be more than happy to sit and talk with you but he's a packaged deal. And I for one would not want to make Brian Kinney my enemy." Bobby turned to catch up with his family.

"Susan, when we get home, I am going to..."

"Shut up, Craig." Susan got up from the bench and walked toward their car.