- Text Size +

 

Sins of the Father

Chapter 19

"Could you guys walk with Bree back to the B&B?" Brian asked John and Bobby.

"Sure, but…"

"He's not always as strong as he looks," Brian said gently. "No one gets to Justin like his father does. He's going to have a meltdown any minute."

"No problem, Brian," John said sympathetically. He couldn't imagine having Craig Taylor for a father, although he'd never had the pleasure or torture of knowing his own father. John took Bobby's arm and they walked away with the children.

"Justin, come with me," Brian said gently.

"Why?" Justin asked fighting back tears. "Why does he do that?"

"Come on," Brian said taking Justin's elbow and steering him in the direction of the van.

As they walked Brian slung one arm over Justin's shoulders and pulled his husband against his body. He wanted to get Justin out of the public eye. They didn't need an audience for what Brian knew was about to come.

When they reached the van, Brian opened the passenger door and gently shoved Justin in. He went around to the driver's side, climbed in and buckled both their seatbelts. He pulled out of their parking space knowing where he wanted to take Justin.

"Hang on, Justin," Brian whispered squeezing Justin's thigh as the younger man stared off into space, lost in thought and hurt and dismay.

Shortly Brian pulled onto the beach and drove along until he found an empty area where no other cars were parked and people were quite far away down the beach in either direction. He backed the van into a spot so that they could face the peaceful scene of the rolling waves. He unbuckled his seatbelt and then Justin's. Carefully he pulled Justin against his chest. Brian heard Justin let out a shuddering breath and then the tears started to flow.

"It's okay, Sunshine. Let it all out," Brian whispered against Justin's hair. "He's an asshole. I know he hurt you, but he's gone now. I'm here and I'll look after you."

Justin's tears fell silently for a while and then he sucked in a deep breath and wiped at his eyes. "I don't understand why he makes me feel so bad. I know he's out of my life. I know he hates me. I actually thought I handled that pretty well today, and now I'm a fucking mess. Why does that happen?" Justin sat up and looked into Brian's eyes.

"It happens because you still care about him. You try not to care, but that's not who you are. Hell, you cared about me when nobody else gave a shit. You saw the good things in me. That's the way you are. You hoped for a little bit of that goodness to shine through from your father. And I think you always will."

"Fuck!" Justin said wiping at his eyes. "I feel like such a wimp, a fucking baby."

"You're not a baby. You're a man, and you handled yourself like a calm, grown up man back there."

"Did I?" Justin asked feeling a little better.

"You did," Brian averred. "I was proud of you."

"Even if my father isn't," Justin stated with an edge to his voice.

"There's no accounting for assholes, especially that one. He's a bitter old man."

Justin looked at Brian. "Yeah, he is," Justin agreed. "Did you hear him say that you stole me?"

Brian chuckled. "Yeah, that was a good one. If he only knew how many times I tried to get rid of you." Justin elbowed his husband in the ribs. "Ow, but that was then and this is now. I couldn't live without you, Sunshine."

"Thanks, that was just the right thing to say," Justin whispered as he leaned over and initiated a long, slow kiss. When the kiss ended, Justin let out a sigh.

"Feeling better?"

"Yeah, a little. I hope we didn't scare Bree too much," Justin said staring out to sea. "Where is she?" There was momentary panic in Justin's voice.

"She went with John and Bobby. We'll call them once you're up to it."

"Did you notice that Craig never even noticed Bree, even when I said he was her grandpa? How can he be so cruel?"

"He's a fucking idiot! Anyone who wouldn't acknowledge Bree as their granddaughter is beyond stupid."

"You always know how to cheer me up," Justin chuckled but not with a lot of humor.

"That's one of the jobs of a good husband, isn't it?" Brian smirked.

"You are the best husband," Justin declared stroking his palm along the side of Brian's face.

"I like to think I'm getting there," Brian said proudly.

"You're already there in my books."

"And your books are all that matter, Sunshine."

Brian tugged Justin by the wrist and they climbed into the back of the van where Brian proceeded to give Justin the best blowjob he had ever received. When they were done, Justin clung to Brian's neck panting.

"God, I love you," he gasped.

"I love you right back."

"How did I ever get lucky enough to find you?" Justin smiled.

"A combination of fate and persistence," Brian smirked.

"I guess I know what I'm doing sometimes," Justin chuckled.

"I think you always know what you're doing, even when I don't agree with you."

"I do love you," Justin said giving Brian a big kiss. "Let's go back to the B&B and pack. "I'm ready to go home. It's time to leave St. Augustine when Craig Taylor arrives."

Brian chuckled as he started the van. He had enjoyed this vacation, but he was ready to go home too.

*****

Back at the B&B, it was all very calm and peaceful. Brian was his usual anal self. He had everything organized and pretty much packed within an hour. They had a one o'clock flight out of Jacksonville into Harrisburg. Hunter, who was spending some time up at the Farm, was planning on picking them up and driving them to Claire's. Then they'd take John's Navigator back to the cottage. The kids were settled down for the night when Seamus invited the adults to the common room for a farewell drink.

"Well, gentlemen," Seamus started as he raised his glass of lemonade, "it's been an honor and a pleasure knowing you. I know you signed the registry but it would please me to no end if each one of you signed my special guest book. And if it's not too much trouble and you have no objection, I'd like a group photo of you all after breakfast. It'll go in my book. I've enjoyed your stay here. I hope you'll consider coming back." Seamus raised his glass higher, as did they all, and they drank.

*****

"Bri, why Jacksonville and not Orlando? It's about the same distance," Bobby asked his brother-in-law as they were turning onto I-95.

"It's straight," Brian quipped.

"What?" All three men asked at the same time as they looked around at each other.

"It's. Straight." Brian emphasized both words as if his warped logic made sense to the rest of the world.

"Brian," Justin began with just a touch of snark, "what does the sexual orientation of Jacksonville have to do with anything?"

Brian huffed dramatically. "The road to Jacksonville is straight up north. I hate having to go backwards and in circles to go home. Reminds me of the last time we broke up," Brian grumbled. "Going backwards and in circles." Justin reached over to squeeze Brian's thigh.

"Awwww!" John and Bobby exclaimed. They made it to Jacksonville and home without incident.

*****

"What's this?" Claire held up the two inch pin made with colorful beads and crystals.

"It's called a 'Wild Woman,' mother," John said with a slight blush to his face.

"And you think that I'm a wild woman?" Claire asked her son whose blush deepened.

"I think you are," Steve walked past to pour some more coffee. He winked at his wife and then at John. Claire blushed.

"Steve!" Claire and John shouted. The family laughed wholeheartedly.

"Mom, we need to get the children home. Liberty Avenue is coming up tomorrow afternoon. We'd love it if you'd come too. And see if you can drag Hunter away from the barn. I bet Nick wouldn't mind."

"Sure, honey, we'd love too."

The Anderson/Morrison-Kinney/Taylor families piled into John's car to go home.

*****

The next day started out lazily. Liberty Avenue was under strict instructions not to arrive one minute before two in the afternoon and that went double for Emmett. Everyone arrived with a dish or two or three, Brian and John broke out the grill and the cooking began.

Justin was decked out in his "Homolicious" t-shirt, and Emmett immediately changed into his brand new "Flaming" t-shirt when Justin handed it to him. Briana wore her "I Love My Daddies" shirt. Even Brian had contemplated wearing the "God Made Me Gay" shirt but in deference to Joan who was coming up with his sister, he decided against it. He and Joan were getting along so well lately that Brian thought discretion was the better part of valor; he wore the "Eats Meat" shirt instead.

Brian gave out his 'Wild Woman' pins to all the wild women in his life. And he handed Debbie a colorful little gift bag brimming over with decorative thimbles.

"What's all this, kiddo?" Debbie began to pick through the thimbles in the bag. "They're beautiful! You remember, Brian, don't you?" Brian slightly nodded, looking a little sad.

"Those days are over, sweetheart. He can't hurt you and YOU will never turn out like him. I'm so proud of you." Debbie got up from her chair to give Brian one of her bone crushing hugs. Brian, who was having a little trouble breathing, could not have cared less.

"LESBIANS?!" Emmett and Ted cried out together.

"Brian Kinney making friends with lesbians? I don't believe it!" Emmett went on.

"Justin, I don't mean to doubt your word, but I need proof. Brian hates lesbians," Teddy said and then quickly added, "Um, present company not included," when Lindsay and Melanie glared at him.

"I have proof!" Justin smiled brightly then pulled out a huge envelope of photos.

"Justin, you didn't!" Brian said in horror. He didn't know that his fun with lesbians had been recorded for posterity. Justin let out a slightly maniacal laugh as the family gathered around and were given an eyeful of Brian in the Vendor's room being kissed by lesbians, Brian at the bar surrounded by lesbians and drag queens, being plied with drink, and Brian at the lesbian pool being fawned over. The family made a collective gasp.

"Brian! You're finally in touch with your feminine side!" Lindsay quipped as she gave the man she loved so dearly, a warm hug and a deep kiss. Brian leaned back to gaze on Lindsay's beautifully placid face. Images of what could have been, perhaps of another life, flashed across both their faces. Brian took her hand in his and brought it to his lips. They both smiled. The family held their breath as Melanie bumped Lindsay out of her way with her hip so she could face her nemesis.

"Bitch," Melanie growled at Brian. Brian took out a 'Wild Woman' and pinned it to Melanie's blouse.

"You're jealous that I make a better dyke than you do," Brian said nonchalantly. "Lesbians love me." Brian narrowed his gaze at Mel then winked. The whole cottage roared with laughter including Melanie and Brian.

*****

"Mother, will you join me for a walk?" Brian offered his arm to his mother as he picked up a gift bag. They made their way out the porch door and through the gardens. It was late Spring; Brian's gardens were blooming. They walked to a set of tables and chairs and sat.

"What is it, Brian?" Joan asked almost too sternly. Joan saw the wince that flitted across her son's face for a brief second. "I'm..." Joan gently patted Brian's cheek with her hand.

"Bree does that when she's apologizing for something," Brian said softly. Joan nodded.

They sat quietly for a few moments then Brian lifted the gift bag to place in Joan's lap. "I got you a few souvenirs of our trip. They're not, um, I mean, nothing fancy but. I, oh shit, here!" He shoved the bag into his mother's hands.

"What are they?"

"Thimbles, mostly. I remember you sewing with them. Stupid, huh?"

"No, Brian, not at all. They're lovely. What's in here?" Joan picked up a small box from the bag. Brian took the box and opened it. He took out the crystal rosebud pin. "It's beautiful, Brian." Brian pinned the delicate brooch to her lapel. "How does it look?"

"Beautiful." Joan gave her son a hug.

*****

"Dad? It's Molly, daddy. When are you coming home?"

"In a few more days, why?"

"We wanted to surprise you."

"We?"

"Owen and me. Owen's asked me to marry him and I said yes."

"That's wonderful, sweetheart. He's a good man, from a good family. I think you couldn't have done better."

"Thanks. Um, Dad?"

"Yes, honey. I intend to invite Justin and Brian to the wedding."

"WHAT??!!"

TBC

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked Sins Of The Father also liked 607 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is And Never Brought to Mind. The next story in the series is Afflict Unto The Several Generations.