- Text Size +

 

Friends and Lovers

Epilogue

Justin closed his laptop and leaned back in the chair, wincing a little as he stretched his achy muscles. When the phone rang, he glanced at it only briefly before answering.

"Hey."

"Hey. I'm on my way. Need anything?"

He glanced at the clock and smiled. Just a little after 9 p.m.. Not bad, considering they'd both been burning the candle at both ends for the last couple of months. With Thanksgiving a little over a week away, the Christmas campaigns had long been put to rest and they were already working on concepts for Spring lines.

"Just you. And maybe a good massage."

"You still working?"

"No."

"As of…"

He rolled his eyes but couldn't help a small smile. "About five minutes ago."

"I kicked your ass out of the office because you looked tired. I thought you'd take the hint and get some rest."

"And I did. But then I figured out what was still bugging me about the Prescott graphics and I wanted to try something."

"And?"

"I like it. You'll have to tell me what you think when you see it."

"Okay, I'll be there in ten."

"See you then."

He hung up the phone and stood, surprised at how achy and tired he felt. It was a good tired, though. The kind that came from working hard at something you really enjoyed. He didn't think he'd care to have Brian's job, that of coming up with concepts and trying to sell them to clients and then to a fickle public, but he loved working in the art department, making those ideas come to life on the art boards that were so important to each and every pitch. It was challenging but rewarding and he still got a rush when everything finally fell into place. Not nearly as intense as when a new painting emerged from a blank canvas, and not something he'd want to be doing for the rest of his life, but for the time being, he was enjoying it and the money was good.

Of course, he'd promised Brian he'd be going back to school after the Christmas Break and he was still planning to do so, but even that had worked out better than he'd expected. He'd met with the Dean and had discovered that he was entitled to course credit for the work he'd done on the movie as well as what he was currently doing at Kinnetik. That, combined with the time he'd already spent at PIFA, left him a mere four credits short of a degree. He'd be able to complete them easily within the year and would still have plenty of time for his art.

He heard the elevator lumbering its way toward the sixth floor and couldn't contain a slightly embarrassed smile. He'd probably never admit it aloud, but he still felt a small thrill whenever Brian walked through the door and he doubted that would ever really change.

A lot of things had changed, though. They still had their fair share of disagreements, even the occasional full-blown argument, but the last six months had seen them beginning to adjust to a real life together. They might never be completely comfortable with long, heart-to-heart conversations, but they'd each come to realize the importance of communication in all its forms and their relationship - and they, themselves - were stronger for it.

The heavy door slid open and Justin crossed the room to greet his partner with a kiss. "Did you eat?" he asked.

"Yeah," Brian answered with a nod as he placed his briefcase on the counter. "You?"

"A little. Wasn't really hungry."

Brian smiled but refrained from commenting on how unusual that statement sounded coming from his lover. "Any calls?"

"Just Deb. Wanted to make sure we were still on for Thanksgiving Dinner."

"That's still a week away."

"Yeah, well, you know Deb. She probably starts cooking tomorrow."

Brian shook his head as he dropped the mail on the counter with a sigh. "After tomorrow, she might not feel much like celebrating."

Justin didn't have to ask what he meant. The following day was when Michael would learn the results of his six month test. His doctor had been able to adjust his dosages so that he wasn't getting as sick and he'd been able to hide it from his mother and the rest of the family so far, but he'd no longer be able to keep it a secret if the results came back positive.

And Deb wasn't the only one Justin was worried about if that should happen.

"What about you?" he asked quietly, looking into the hazel eyes.

Brian just shook his head again and didn't answer for a long moment. "Everything else has been going so well. Linds and Mel are back together and Gus is happy. Business is good. We're good. I just …"

"You're afraid to hope for more?"

"I sometimes wonder if one more thing will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. If wanting just that one thing more will be too much and everything else will go to shit."

"Mmm," he murmured, pulling the other man into a hug. "I don't think it works that way. We want what we want and sometimes we get it all, sometimes we don't. But it doesn't have to be all or nothing. If things don't go well tomorrow, the girls will still be together. Gus will still be happy, business will still be good." He pulled back a moment to look into Brian's eyes. "And we'll both still be here. Together."

One corner of Brian's mouth twitched in a small, grateful smile. He pulled the younger man closer and they stood silently in the embrace for a moment before Brian pulled back with a frown. "You're hot."

"You're just noticing that now?" Justin asked, trying for a leering smile.

"I don't mean that, Twat. I mean like feverish. How do you feel?"

Justin briefly considered a playful response, but his achy, tired muscles and the dull headache behind his eyes had him opting for the truth. "Not so good," he admitted, wrinkling his nose.

"That fucking Hewitt," Brian muttered. "I should fire his ass."

"I don't think you can fire someone for catching a bug, Brian."

"Yeah, well I should be able to do something about him spreading it all over the office."

"I'm sure he didn't. He went home as soon as he realized it was more than just a cold. I just happened to be the one working with him that morning. It's no big deal. Hewitt was only out with it for a couple of days. I'm half his age so I should bounce back twice as fast."

Brian sighed. "Fine. Get into bed and I'll bring you something for the fever."

"I already took something," Justin informed him. "It should kick in any moment."

Brian kissed him on the forehead. "I guess that just leaves bed, then."

"It's still early," Justin pointed out. "I'll probably just sleep for the rest of the night so if you want to go out or something, you should go. No sense hanging around here catching whatever it is."

"If I'm going to catch it, I'm sure it already had a chance to gain a good foothold while I was buried balls deep in your ass last night."

"Probably," Justin concurred, wrinkling his nose again, this time in apology.

Brian kissed him again before swatting his ass. "Bed. I'm going to take a scalding shower and see if I can't cut some of those germs off at the pass."

Justin chuckled, shaking his head, but did as he was told. He was tired and achy and the thought of the soft, warm bed was far more appealing than he wanted to admit.

He burrowed under the covers, shivering slightly while he waited for his lover to emerge from the bathroom. He couldn't resist a weak smile as Brian crawled naked into the bed and spooned up behind him.

"You're not actually going to sleep at ten o'clock."

"I'm tired. A certain horny blond kept me up half the night."

Justin closed his eyes and pressed himself closer to his lover's warmth. "As soon as I feel a bit better, you can return the favour."

Brian kissed the top of his head. "Count on it, Sunshine."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Brian was working on his computer when he heard Justin get up and go into the bathroom. He saved the file he'd been working on and headed to the kitchen for a bottle of water and the pain pills his lover would no doubt be needing. When he entered the bedroom it was just in time to see the younger man crawling beneath the covers once again.

"How are you feeling?"

Justin groaned softly. "I slept for twelve hours and I'm exhausted. Everything hurts and the headache's back with a vengeance. You?"

Brian chuckled. "Definitely better than that." He sat on the edge of the bed and shook two pills out of the small bottle before handing them and the water to Justin. "Here. Take these."

Justin did and then collapsed back atop the pillow with a moan. "I feel like shit."

"You look like it, too," Brian said, leaning down to kiss his forehead gently.

"Thanks." He glanced at the clock again and then back at Brian, frowning. "You're going to be late for Michael's appointment." Michael had asked them both to be there when he got his results and they'd willingly agreed to lend whatever moral support they could.

"I'm not going. Ben will be there, anyway."

"But you promised him you'd be there."

"That was before you came down with the plague. I already called him and told him we wouldn't be able to make it."

"What did he say?" Justin asked, a wary expression creeping into his eyes.

"That he hopes you feel better and that he'll call us when he gets his results." He frowned a little as though trying to remember. "And I think he might have mentioned calling Deb and getting her to send over some fucking chicken soup."

Justin reached for his hand and squeezed it weakly. "I'm sorry you won't be there with him when he gets his results, but at the same time, I'm glad you're here."

Brian stretched out beside him and brushed a limp lock of hair from his forehead. "Now who's the selfish one?" he teased with a small smile.

"I guess you didn't corner the market on that particular trait, after all."

"Or maybe I did," he replied, slipping his arm around the warm body. "Seeing as how I'm exactly where I want to be."

Justin tried for a smile, but his bottom lip quivered dangerously. "I love you so much."

Brian huffed a short laugh. "I think that's a definite sign that the drugs have gone to your head."

"I think you're right," Justin acquiesced. "But that doesn't make it any less true."

He looked at him for a minute before leaning down to kiss him gently.

When they parted, Justin smiled. "I heard that."

Brian smirked, though there was an amused tinge to it. "Get some sleep, Twat."

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

The next time he woke, it was to the sound of the buzzer and Brian going to answer it.

"Yeah."

"It's us. We won't stay long."

"Come on up."

Brian unlocked and opened the door before returning to the bedroom. "Michael and Ben are here."

"Did he call?"

Brian shook his head. "I guess he wanted to deliver the news in person."

Justin rolled carefully out of the bed and Brian frowned at him. "You don't have to get up."

"We've all been waiting for this," Justin reminded him. "I want to be there." He pulled on a robe and slowly made his way downstairs to collapse on the sofa. "I never realized how far that was," he moaned.

Brian shook his head in amusement before sobering at the sight of his best friend and his husband in the doorway. "Mikey."

Michael looked at him with a straight face for a moment before breaking into a grin. "Negative."

Without a word, Brian crossed the room and pulled the smaller man into a tight hug. When he finally pulled away, his grin matched Michael's.

"Congratulations, Michael," Justin said with a smile of his own. "I'm really glad."

"Thanks," Michael replied, his smile fading a little. "How are you feeling?"

"I've been better."

"You've certainly looked better," Ben teased him amiably. He placed a pot on the counter. "We picked this up from Deb's with strict instruction to tell you to call if you need anything else."

"Thanks," Justin replied. "I will." He glanced over at Brian who had yet to say a word since their friends' arrival. "But I think Brian has it pretty much covered."

His comment got the desired snort of mock derision and he smiled, glad that his lover had recovered from the emotions brought on by Michael's news.

"Trust me, Sunshine, I have ulterior motives for wanting that ass of yours back in good health."

"Please, spare us the details," Michael teased.

"We don't have time for them, anyway," Ben added on a chuckle. "We really can't stay."

"We just wanted to deliver the news in person," Michael concurred. He looked over at Justin with a slightly apologetic smile. "Maybe when you're feeling better, the four of us should go out to celebrate."

"Sounds good," Justin agreed with a nod.

"In the meantime, we'll be celebrating without you," Ben said, snaking an arm around Michael's waist.

"A vision I may never be able to get out of my head, thank you very much," Brian intoned.

Michael laughed. "Ben's taking me out to lunch and then we're taking the rest of the day off. Sort of an early Thanksgiving."

"You both deserve it," Justin said with a smile.

"And both of you deserve our thanks. I know you didn't always agree with my decision to keep it from Ma and the others, but you stuck by it and that means a lot."

"To both of us," Ben added sincerely. He stepped forward and hugged Brian, taking him momentarily by surprise. "Thanks, Brian."

"You're welcome," he replied uncomfortably.

"You too, Justin."

"I'd think twice about hugging Typhoid Mary over there if I were you," Brian quipped.

Ben smiled at Justin. "Rain check, then."

Justin nodded. "Sure thing."

"I hope you feel better soon," Michael said sincerely. "Ma's soup should help." He turned to Brian with a small frown. "Make sure he eats it."

"Oh, I will," Brian replied with a knowing smirk in Justin's direction. "Payback's a bitch, Sunshine."

Michael looked from one to the other and saw the smile of shared remembrance that passed between them. "Since I have no idea what that means, is it safe to tell Ma he's in good hands?"

"The best," Justin replied with a smile.

"He's drugged," Brian explained, rolling his eyes at his partner's comment.

"OK, then, I guess we'll be on our way."

After another round of good wishes, Brian saw them out the door before returning to the sofa to find Justin lying on his back, one forearm covering his eyes. "Do you think you can handle some of Deb's soup?"

"That depends. Do I have to move?"

"You might want to sit up since I have no intention of explaining to Deb how you choked to death on her home remedy."

He pulled himself to a sitting position and groaned. "Forget what I said last night. You should fire Hewitt."

"Maybe I'll keep him on and just make his life miserable for a while," Brian replied as he ladled soup into a bowl and warmed it in the microwave.

"That works, too. As long as you wait until I'm there so I can watch."

"Being sick brings out your more malicious side, I see," Brian chuckled as he placed the soup on a tray and carried it to the sofa along with a bottle of water and a small glass of juice.

"It's always there," Justin intoned. "I just don't have the strength to hide it right now."

"I'll keep that in mind."

They were silent for a few minutes while Justin ate what he could of the soup before placing the tray on the table. As he made a move to lie down, Brian stopped him.

"Uh uh, back to bed for you."

"But I want to stay out here with you," Justin practically whined. "It gets too lonely in there by myself."

"You've slept the majority of the last twenty hours," Brian scoffed. "How would you know?"

Feeling too tired and miserable to argue the matter, Justin allowed himself to be escorted back to the bedroom, pleasantly surprised when Brian stripped down and climbed in beside him. "Are you just going to laze the day away?"

"Why not? If Mikey and Ben can do it, I should be entitled."

"I'm glad things worked out for them," Justin mused, snuggling closer to the other man's warmth. "It was a long six months, though."

"Yeah, it was," Brian agreed. He put his arm around his partner and waited until the blond head was settled comfortably on his shoulder before adding quietly, "But it would have seemed a lot longer without you here."

Justin was silent for a moment before tilting his head to look up at his lover. "I'm the drugged one here, remember?"

Brian arched one eyebrow regally. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"I could have sworn I just heard you say something dangerously close to sweet and romantic."

"Great," Brian muttered, rolling his eyes. "Now you're suffering auditory hallucinations."

"In that case, this would be a perfect time for you to tell me that you love me."

"It would, would it?" Brian asked, tongue in cheek.

Justin managed a slight smile. "Only if you mean it. I'd hate to suffer an auditory hallucination that stemmed from pity because I'm so obviously at death's door."

Brian laughed and kissed him lightly. "Drama queen tendencies and a malicious streak. What's not to love?"

Justin smiled and reached up to kiss him before snuggling back into the warm embrace. "Precisely."

They were quiet for a moment. "Brian?"

"Hmm."

"Tell me more about those ulterior motives of yours."

He chuckled softly, tightening his hold on the body in his arms. "Well, first…"

The End

The End.
Kimberley is the author of 13 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Friends and Lovers also liked 702 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Rage Over Hollywood. The previous story in the series is Rage Over Hollywood.