- Text Size +

CHAPTER 14: CRACKS START TO APPEAR

TED

I text Blake and wait for him to come in because I want him to be here when I call Tobias.

“What’s put that smile on your face?”

I grin and hold up my hand for silence.  “Tobias Schenk speaking.”

“Tobias it’s Ted and Blake. Can you get Darius on the line too?”

“I’m on what’s going on?”

“You remember the place in Portland where the marriages and renewal ceremonies happened?”

“Yes oh it is gorgeous!”  Tobias sighs.  “What about it?”

“Well it’s yours.  Seems they would love to do a winter wedding.”

There is complete silence at the other end and at first I think they’ve hung up until I hear a sniffle.

“Are you serious?”  Darius demands his voice thick.

“Yes.  She said that Emily is expecting your call.  And E&ZHoD would love to do the catering.”

There is a thud and then a gasp.  “Ted!  I’ll have to call you back, Tobias has fainted!”

LUTHER’S NO. 2 CONDO – SUNDAY AFTERNOON

MICHAEL

“So how were drinks with Talentless?”

“Oh fine, she knows some cool places.  Has your stomach finally settled down now?”

“Yes, thanks.  I can’t understand why I was so ill.”  I grumble picking moodily at my boiled egg.

“Me neither.  We had exactly the same thing.  Anyway, look I’m going out...”

“With Talentless again? You two are becoming quite bosom buddies.”  I bitch.

“No, no we’re not and no I’m not.  Actually, I’m going to look round the galleries; see who I should honour with my resume.”

“Oh okay.  I’m going to watch all the X-Men movies back to back then.”

“How many times have you seen those movies?”  She asks with a hint of scorn in her voice.

“Doesn’t matter. They will never get old for me.  And besides it’s Sunday, a day of rest.  See you later.”

LINDSAY

As I watch him head to the lounge, it occurs to me that every day seems to be a day of rest for Michael.  With a sigh I follow him.

“Michael before you settle down to your marathon session, how much money have you got left?”

“Why?”  He asks, not pausing in his movie set up.

“No big reason.  Well maybe.  The money from my parents, our last checks and the money you have left is all the money we have. So we need to start adding to the pot ourselves as opposed to…”

“But when we win the misrepresentation suit we’ll get money from that…”

“No we won’t.”  I cut him off feeling the beginnings of a headache.  “The point of the misrepresentation suit is to get them to reopen the cases that we lost, remember? And then there’s the defamation countersuit…”

“What countersuit?”  Now he’s looking at me and I stare back at him incredulous.

“Remember when Adam White turned up here?  He served us papers from Philip Mitcham counter suing the misrepresentation with defamation.”

“I didn’t know that!”  He gasps.

“Michael.”  I grit out.  “You were standing behind me when he told me and I then repeated it to you.  How did you not take that on board?”

He narrows his eyes at me.  “Lindsay what’s really going on? You’ve been snippy with me for the last week now?”

Nothing is going on apart from what I have just said to you.  Now before this escalates into an unnecessary row, let’s check how much money we’ve got at the moment.  We don’t have rent to pay, which is a blessing but we have to be…”

“There it is again, that tone.”  He continues to frown at me.

“There is no tone.”  I paste a smile on my face.  “Everything is fine. I’m just worried that we will run out of money before…”

“We can always ask Luther.  Or even better, Talentless to share her fuck money with us until the cases are settled.”  He suggests as he reluctantly follows me to the office.

“That’s brilliant Michael!  Yes we’ll ask Talon for help and I think it would be best coming from you.”  I sigh.  “Okay let me check mine first.”

He remains standing behind me.  “A little privacy Michael.”  He backs away but doesn’t turn around.  “Turn around Michael. This is private.”

“Don’t you trust me Lindsay?”  He pouts.

“Mel didn’t know my bank details and I used to sleep with her.”  I smile tightly.

A few minutes later I log off.  “Your turn.”

Ten minutes later we’re totalling up.  “Okay we’ve got just under $14,000 left, that’s taking off the loan repayments to them for the next six months.  This is New York; this is not going to last long.”

I slump back in the seat.  

“How long is not long?”  He asks.

“As long as we only buy food, we can last until February tops.  We’ve got to get some money in.”

“Look let’s discuss this tomorrow.  We’ve got time and it’s not even November yet.”  Michael shouts over his shoulder heading back to the lounge.

I’m stunned.  I just cannot believe how utterly stupid this man can be sometimes!

E&ZHoD – TUESDAY EARLY AFTERNOON

ZEON

All four of us are staring at the dish of jugged hare with varying expressions of disgust.

“Are you sure that’s what they said they wanted?”  Thomas is actually backing away.

“It looks like um…”  Cara wince.

“Shit over vomit?”  Zee helpfully supplies.

“Maybe it tastes better than it looks.”  Emmy Lou says, ever the optimist.

“Well I’ll be going to the BroHouse to oversee the works. Let me know how you…”

“Like fuck you are!”  Thomas grabs my arm to stop me.  “Come on, we’re grown-ups. Let’s all just have a taste.”

We dig in and Zee shudders.  “This has better freeze well because I’m never cooking that again.”

“Oh that’s just nasty!”  Cara grimaces after she’s spat it out.

Emmy Lou hands us all a glass of water.  “Okay we can just tell them we couldn’t find hare and offer them confit chicken instead.”

“They’re game hunters. They will most probably provide us with one.”  Zee gripes wiping her tongue on her sleeve.  “Ugh this needs vodka.”

“Anyone in!”  A voice calls.

“The final test.  In here Lydia!”  Zee calls back.

Lydia comes in and waves a paper at us.  “The reviews are in and of course our…”  She pauses and looks at the dish.  “What on earth is that?”

“Jugged hare.”  I reply.  “Hi I’m Zeon, Zee’s brother.”

She looks at me first in surprise then warily.  “I’ve been told all about her brothers.  I’m Lydia and adore this woman.  Take that onboard okay?”

I look at my little sister and then nod at Lydia.  “Yes ma’am.”

“Want to taste?”  Emmy Lou asks and she nods taking a spoon and then heads to the bin and spits it out.

“Booking clash on any day they suggest correct?”  Cara asks.

“Absolutely.  Vodka Lydia?”  Zee offers her a tumbler, which she quickly knocks back.

“Fuck me sideways that is vile!”   She waves the tumbler and Zee pours another.  “Oh that’s better.  Now the reviews are in and of course my darling urchins have been praised to the heavens!”

“Urchins?  Reviews?”  I ask.

“That’s what she calls them. The ‘them’ being Hunter and Miranda. She’s Lydia’s niece.  They curated and hosted the Pearlman Show in New York at the weekend…”

“Ah I see.  It’s a shame about that…”

“Why is it a shame?”  I can hear the defensive edge to her question.

I hold up my hands.  “Nothing about your urchins especially Hunter, who is by proxy, my nephew.  It’s just that I love art and I have to admit to jealousy when Uncle Luc gave her his collection.”

Lydia looks keenly at me.  “How much do you love art?”

“More than me.”  Zee chuckles.  “I can imagine the bitch-fit you pitched when you heard about that.  What did you get by the way?”

“Their house in Fra…wait Justin’s show; where you guys staying?”

“Not sure yet, why?”  Emmy Lou replies.  “Okay what’s that face for?”  He looks at Zee.

“You got the house in France, didn’t you?”  She looks annoyed when I nod.  “Lucky fucker.”

“So you don’t want to stay there?”  I ask and then groan as Emmy Lou launches himself at me.

“Pictures! I want to see pictures!”  He squeals after releasing me from the hug.

“Okay, hold up everything!”  Lydia claps her hands.  “How big is this place?”

“12 bedrooms, never been to it.”

Lydia is counting off on her hands.  “Fine.  You and me, Zeon are going to have a little chat about this place, Emmy Lou you too.  And then we need to speak to Justin.  Come-come plans to make!”

She pauses and then turns around.  “Bag that up, dish and all, I know just the dumpster for it.”

BRITIN – EARLY EVENING

JUSTIN’S STUDIO

JUSTIN

The works to put a bed in the alcove are finally finished.  Baz, as usual has done an excellent job.  I’m making the bed while thinking of my sperm donor.

“Want to talk about it or you just going to keep doing that hospital corner?”

Brian comes over and pulls me into his arms and I sniffle.  “Why?”  I mumble from his chest.

He lifts my head and brushes the tears away.  “None of that.  He’s not worth these.  Not worth it.”  He drops a soft kiss on my trembling mouth.

“He’s…”

“Not worth it.”  He repeats firmly.  “Besides I have a feeling that Ted and Zee are cooking up something or other.”

“Huh?”

“Didn’t you notice that he, Solly and Menno disappeared for awhile on Sunday?  Something’s happening and Faal’s noticed too.  But we’re pretending not to.”

“Oh.”

“And look what happened the last time they combined forces and with Solly onboard. Whatever is happening it is going to be good.  Oh by the way, Lydia called, about the show in France.  Wants you to call her back.  Said you’ve not been answering your phone.”

“Mmm, will call her back tomorrow.  Right now I have something much more important to do.”

“Which is?”  He asks as I kiss his neck. “You know that osteopath table?”  He nods.  “Get it set up with your favourite oils and I’ll set the bath, then we fuck like rabbits.”

“Uh why not fuck like rabbits now...we have to test the bed you know for resilience anyway…”

“Brian, this is my plan and we…oh!”  I groan as he slides his hand into my sweats and tugs on my cock.

“Lie down.”  He whispers in my ear and I just flop down and he swiftly takes off my sweats and wraps his mouth round my cock.

I arch my back and give a little squeal of pleasure.  As I watch his head bob up and down and feel his tongue in my slit, my eyes roll back and I shoot down his throat.

Ten minutes later, I’m holding onto the railings of the bed for dear life as he pounds into me.

“He’s. Not. Worth. It!”  He thrusts on every word.  “Repeat.  After.  Me.”

“He’s…oh God…not, yes oh yes, worth it.”  I shudder.

“Again.”  He thrusts harder.

“He’s.  Ah, uh ah.  Not worth.  There oh God there!  It!” He starts to pump my cock in time and suck on my neck.  “Oh God Brian!”  I yelp and clamp down hard.

“Fuck!”  He roars and explodes.

As I snuggle back into his lap with him still inside me, my last thought is thank God we don’t have to buy another futon.

LUTHER’S CONDO – THURSDAY LATE AFTERNOON

OFFICE

TALON

Ralph and I just stare at each other.  “Miss Talon, what are you going to do?”

I smile at him.  “What I’m good at.  Ralph.  What I’m good at.”

LUTHER’S NO. 2 CONDO – EARLY EVENING

LOUNGE

MICHAEL

Lindsay is out at another gallery opening or something.  So once again, I can watch my movies and read my comics in peace.  I’m just getting to the good part in Spiderman, when the door goes.

“Oh hi Grady, Lindsay’s not in.”  I’m hoping he will take the hint and leave immediately.

“Oh shame.”  He smiles at me. He really is quite a looker.  “May I come in?  We never got much time to talk the last time.”

Inwardly sighing, I let him in and lead him to the lounge.  “Oh Spiderman!  Which one is it, 1 or 2?”

I look at him in surprise.  “Halfway through the first one. Never had you down as a Spiderman fan.”

“Not everything is as it appears.  May I help myself to a drink?”

“Yes, yes of course.”

“Will you join me?”

“Uh I’ll have a Beam, thanks.”

We sit and watch the movie to the end without a word. It's great to do that for a change without the sighing and eye rolling that Lindsay does or the rustle of papers that was Ben grading papers.

“Want to watch the 2nd one or do you have to leave?”

“I did want to get something to eat. Do you know how long Lindsay will be?  I mean, shall we wait for her?”

“Let me call and check.  Lindsay it’s me.  No nothing’s wrong. I just was going to order take-out and I wondered if I should order for you too?  Oh okay, see you tomorrow morning then.”

“No Lindsay?”  He asks.

“No.  Seems she’s going for cocktails with some of the people she met at the gallery.”

“So it’s just the two of us.  What would you like to eat, Chinese, Japanese, Mexican? Your choice my treat.”

“Um, I’m more a meat and potatoes guy. Not very adventurous when it comes to food.”

“Another thing we have in common, I love meat and potatoes.  So shall I choose for you?”

I nod feeling rather warm and an hour later, we’re eating the most delicious dim sum I have ever tasted.  “This is really good.”  I mumble round a mouthful of food.

“Have you tried the shrimp tails?  Here let me serve.”

“Oh that is so good. Where’s this place again? Lindsay will love it.”  He smiles at me and then frowns.

“Oh wait, you’ve got a bit of sauce.  Let me get that for you.”

And he licks my chin.  “Uh.  Grady I thought…”

“Like I said. Not everything is how it seems.”

BroHOUSE – FRIDAY LATE MORNING

KITCHEN

ZEON

I have to hand it to her.  She knows her kitchen kit.  This place looks fantastic! I love the range and currently Thomas and I are unpacking everything she ordered.

“What on earth is this?”  I hold up something and Thomas just rolls his eyes at me.

“You are joking correct?”  He puts his hands on his hips and waits for my response.

“A Frisbee?”  I suggest earning another glare.

“He’s messing with you Thomas. He knows full well it’s a…actually what is that?”  Zeus asks.

“It’s a rotary peeler.”  Thomas sighs.  “How can I be in love with someone who doesn’t know what a state of the art rotary peeler looks like?!”

Zeus chuckles and tugs me into the lounge.  “Just heard from Zeph.  You aren’t going to believe what’s happened now.”

LUTHER’S NO. 2 CONDO – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

KITCHEN

MICHAEL

I can’t believe that Grady and I had sex last night… well made love in my opinion.  He was so gentle with me; it was blissful.  Much better than with Ben or David.  I want to tell Lindsay but I saw how she was with him, all gooey eyed.  Once we’re established then we’ll tell her.

She finally came home just after midnight. Luckily, Grady went before she woke up and it seems she’s got one heck of a hangover.

“She’s up!  Must have been a good night?”  I ask.

“Yeah.  Need coffee though.”  She croaks.  “How was yours?”

“Oh great, just great! Watched Spiderman, got take-out… that was it.  You’ll love the new take-out place I found.”

“Great.”  She clears her throat.  “Michael we seriously need to talk about the money situation.”

“All sorted.”  I beam at her.

“It is?  How?”  She asks popping a couple of Advil.

“I took your advice and spoke to Talentless and she’s given us $50K, to tide us over until the cases are resolved and…”

“You did what?!”  She gasps.

“Spoke to Talentless and…”

“I was being sarcastic Michael!”  She snaps and then grabs her head.

“Oh.  Well she’s wired the money already.  Shall I send it back?”  I snap back.

“Let me think.  What collateral did you put up?”

“Collateral?”  I ask.  “She didn’t ask for anything, just asked us to sign this document to say that we will repay the money as and when the cases are settled.”

“So, we just have to give her the money from the trials when we win right?”  I nod.  “But Michael there is no money to come from those cases as I already told you.”

“I know that but she doesn’t.”

She blinks a couple of times and gives me a nervous smile.  “No she doesn’t, does she?”

“And we can say we’re appealing to explain the delay.”  I grin at her.  “Now why don’t you go and have a bath to ease the tension.

“Yeah I think I will.”  She heads back upstairs with her coffee.

Sometimes, I get the feeling that Lindsay thinks I’m stupid. Well I’ve just proved I’m not.

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively, thank you xx