- Text Size +

CHAPTER 25: THE ‘HONEST TRUTH’ & ‘HARD KNOCK LIFE’

 

ZEE

 

“Wait if this goes the way we hope the charities will lose out on the money because the assets will be frozen. We can’t allow that.”

 

“No, Uncle Luc will honour it, as will mom.”  Zeus smiles.

 

“And we…”

 

“No you won’t. This is ours, Justin, ours.  Leave this be.”  Zeus rebuffs him.

 

“Normally, I would object strongly to you speaking to my husband like that, but he’s right.

This one is for them and them alone.”

 

“Thanks Brian.”

 

“But this is the only time you get to do that.”  Brian’s eyes flash and Zeus raises his hand.

 

“Understood.”

 

LUTHER’S NO. 2 CONDO – FRIDAY EVENING

 

BASEMENT

 

MICHAEL

 

I’m still pissed at Lindsay and the way she’s been treating me lately.  She wasn’t this bad with Talon.  I don’t see the difference between her and Bethany. They were both screwing the same married man.  Okay so Bethany is from a better to do family, apparently, but that doesn’t give Lindsay leave to try and hide me away like a bad little secret.

 

That being said I love what she’s done with the place and despite what she’s said, I’m putting some of my stuff out.  I can always put it back at night.

 

“Hello is anyone down here?”

 

I freeze at the sound of Grady’s voice.  “What do you want?  Shouldn’t you be upstairs fucking your girlfriend?”

 

“Yeah, was just going to get to that.”  He smirks at me.  “Nice place you’ve got here.”

 

I settle down to watch my movie and try to ignore him.

 

“Grady are you down there?”  Lindsay calls.

 

“Yeah.”

 

The speed with which she comes downstairs makes me smile. She’s obviously threatened by me.

 

“So Grady how have you been?”  I decide a change of tactic is called for.

 

“Fine.  Happier than I’ve ever been.”  He pulls Lindsay in for a kiss.  “Won’t be long babe. I just wanted to see what Bethany and you did with the place.  Nicely done.  Yeah this is a much better place for him.”

 

As Lindsay goes upstairs, I swallow down my hurt. I’m surprised when he doesn’t immediately follow her up.

 

“Michael.  Let me give you a piece of hard knock life advice.  Us fucking doesn’t a relationship make. I had an itch, you scratched it…badly…I might add.  I had to think of your friend Brian to get off.  And if a guy doesn’t give you their address or number after they’ve had you, it’s generally because they…”

 

“You came back!”

 

He shrugs.  “Why pay for it when you can get it for free?”

 

“I hope Lindsay realises that applies to her, too.”  I snap.

 

“No it doesn’t.”  He stands over me glowering.  “And don’t ever let me hear you’ve said that to her.  She’s carried you all this time!  Without her and her parents’ money you would be nowhere.  It’s about time you started pulling your weight Michael.  She’s getting tired of you doing fuck all but sitting here trying to relive your childhood through comics. Have you applied for any jobs, have you even looked?”

 

I open my mouth to protest.

 

“No, no he hasn’t.”  Lindsay’s voice shocks me as I thought she’d gone.  “Thank you Gray for saying that.  I tried to tell him but…”

 

“It would lead to a row?”  He asks and she nods.

 

“I contributed to this!”  I shout at him.

 

“Only by fucking up!”  Lindsay shouts back, surprising us both.

 

“Who cost us $6000 in relocation fees?  Who got us kicked out of Canada by applying for a tourist visa and not telling me?  Who got jailed for mouthing off at the judges and almost hitting Zee?  Whose parents have abandoned her because of your insistence on…”

 

“Oh don’t blame Canada on me!  You made a mistake too…”

 

“There is a difference between thinking your visa is still in date and applying for a tourist visa and fucking working when that is the first thing they say you should not do!”

 

Grady just looks at me, much like David did when he was being superior.

 

“And as for ‘my insistence…!”  I yell at her.  “You wanted to challenge the rulings too!”

 

“Yes that’s true but you didn’t contribute anything except with inane comments.  For example, we didn’t win, who the fuck says that?!”

 

“Now look here Lindsay, I’ve had enough of your bitchiness!  You’re just as much to blame in our losing the cases as I am.  And as for your relationship with Grady, we both know it’s because you couldn’t get Faal so you’ve settled for second best!  And you’re jealous because I had him first…”

 

“No, you are the sloppy second Michael!  And I mean sloppy. Blow job rule 101 cover your teeth.”  Grady interrupts me.

 

My stomach rolls and I gape at them breathing hard.

 

“Stop!  Just stop before we say anything else we regret.”  Lindsay sighs.  “Look Michael, you and I have to have a serious and calm discussion about what we are doing here, but right now I’m getting a headache and I just want to go to bed.”

 

As they head up the stairs, I snark at her.  “Remember to cover your teeth.”

 

“I don’t need to be told to do that Michael. It’s a shame as a gay man that you did.”

 

As the door closes I shout at them.  “You’re a bastard and Lindsay... you have one and you are one!”

 

An hour later I wake up and feel calmer and am able to think a lot clearer and she’s right to a degree.  I get up and head upstairs to go to bed when I notice the note, taped to the door; Michael, what you called me was despicable and hurtful.  We need to rethink our living arrangements.  We will talk tomorrow.

 

Fuck!

 

CRAIG TAYLOR’S RESIDENCE – SATURDAY MORNING

 

OFFICE

 

CRAIG

 

No fucking way am I doing that; I would rather go to jail!  I email Lucian back and tell him I refuse to accept those terms.  I will pay the money to him but not those places.  The phone ringing jolts me out of my fury, I stab at the speaker button.

 

“Craig Taylor.”

 

“Mr Taylor, Lucian Stark.  Those are the terms take them or leave them.”

 

“Then I’ll leave them.”

 

“See you in court.”

 

“Fine!”  I shout into dead air before dialling Luther.

 

“Luther Stark.”

 

“Luther it’s Craig.  Your brother is refusing to accept the money unless I agree to present the checks to faggot charities.”

 

“So?”

 

“So?  What do you mean so?”

 

“The whole fucking point of me loaning you the money is so that this problem with my brother goes away, not that you make it fucking worse.  Do I agree with gays?  No!  Do I have to do things I don’t like to get what I want?  Yes.  So suck it the fuck up and do as he said!”

 

“But Luther…”

 

But he’s hung up.

 

LUTHER’S NO. 2 CONDO

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

I come in quietly and sit down.  “Look we both said things we didn’t mean and…”

 

“Michael, just stop,” Lindsay interrupts. “This situation has become untenable and…”

 

“That means she can’t take it anymore.”  Grady tells me.

 

“I know what unendable means!”  I snap.

 

“Yeah you know what it means but can’t pronounce it.  It’s un-ten-able.”  He scoffs.

 

“So there will be a change in the living arrangements…”

 

“I’m not moving out Lindsay; I have nowhere to go!”

 

“I know that Michael, which is why Grady is moving in as of today.”

 

“What?”  I gasps.  “Lindsay you can’t be serious?”

 

“I am.  We both are.  How much of the money have we got left?”

 

I cringe as I think about my pending bids.  “I’m not sure.”

 

“Whatever is left, I want it transferred to a separate account, which we will both have access to but one that requires both signatures to confirm a withdrawal.”

 

“Oh come on, don’t you trust me?!”

 

“I saw that look Michael. You’ve been bidding and I know your generous nature, remember?  If you can get away without paying, you do so.  As I have now learnt to my cost.”

 

“But Lindsay!”

 

“No Michael, no more! You want to stay here, this is what is going to happen, and if you don’t like it you can leave.  I’m sorry it has come to this but you left me with no other option.”

 

Grady and I watch her leave in silence.

 

He shakes his head at me.  “Nice going.  Most moochers are smart but not you.  Calling your cash cow a cunt was stupid.”  He walks out chuckling.

 

Double fuck!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please be kind.  Thanks