- Text Size +

CHAPTER 51: THANKS FOR THAT…

 

PENNSYLVANIA UPSTATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY

 

INTERVIEW ROOM – WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

EPHRAIM

 

We’re waiting for him to be brought in.  Meriam keeps chuckling at the idea of him representing himself.

 

“He’s going to be so bad at this!  Would it be bad if we were to take bets on how long it takes before one is forced upon him?”

 

“Or he’s jailed for contempt.”  Charles snickers.

 

“Watching him trying to cross examine himself will be interesting too.  Do you think he’s prepared anything for us to take with us to submit as evidence?”

 

“No of course not!”  Charles snorts indignantly.  “As far as that is concerned he’s done nothing wrong so nothing to prepare… ah here he comes, I think.  Oh and remember what we’re not supposed to do?”

 

We both nod at him and wipe the smirks off our faces…we’re not sure why the guy asked but we’re more than happy to help in the misery.  The door opens and he shuffles in and glares hatefully at us.

 

“Prisoner Michael Charles Novotny has entered Interview Room 2.  Recording starts, present are Ephraim Williams, Charles Phelps-Brown, Meriam Maatje the defence lawyers and…”

 

“Thank you Officer…we all know each other here.”  I interrupt smoothly.  “Shall we start?” I look at the prisoner and begin. “We understand that you wish to represent yourself, is that still correct?”  I ask him.

 

He nods and looks smug.

 

“For the record, Prisoner Michael Charles Novotny is nodding, though the video will show that too.”  Charles smirks in the face of the glower he receives.

 

“Yes I am.”

 

“Fine.  You are aware of the charges against you?  How do you intend to plead?”

 

“Not guilty, of course. I can refute each and every one.”  He replies confidently.

 

Meriam rolls her eyes and shakes her head.  “On what grounds?”  She asks.  “You did commit the crimes. What possible reason do you have for being not guilty?”

 

“I was going through a high degree of stress at the time and wasn’t in control of my actions.”

 

“Let the recording show that I, Meriam Maatje, am handing the, ahem, attorney for Michael Charles Novotny a copy of the recording made during his first interview and request that he watch it now.”

 

She nods at the Officer and he taps the window behind us and for an hour he watches himself sometimes smirking, sometimes nodding.  When it comes to the question about the scarf, he gets this gleam in his eye.  Charles and I exchange looks and nod.

 

“What was that about?”  He demands.

 

“What?”  Meriam asks, raising her hand and the disc is paused.

 

“Those two.  They looked at each other and nodded. Again, I ask what that was about!”

 

“Client attorney privilege.  And since you are not our client and not an attorney, you don’t get the privilege of knowing what we discussed.”  Charles replies tartly.

 

“But…”

 

“Let’s continue.”  Meriam waves for the disc to be turned back on and we come to the end where he fires his lawyer.  “Now the evaluation results.”

 

“What evaluation results?”

 

“You were advised in the interview that you were being evaluated. This is what Jermaine Stewart, the court appointed psychologist, had to say… In my medical opinion, there is absolutely nothing psychologically or emotionally wrong with Michael Charles Novotny. He’s lying about why he has everything that he had in his possession, of course.  But he’s more than aware that he should not have them.  But that still rules out a defence such as kleptomania since he went to great lengths to hide those things and reaped emotional rewards in the intentional trauma he caused those around him…

 

As he continues to listen, he gets more and more annoyed.  “Who is this quack anyway and isn’t it a breach of my rights that I wasn’t informed of this?”

 

“You were informed.”  Charles interrupts his tiresome tirade.  “Right at the beginning of the DVD.  Remember when you asked if you could plead migrating circumstances?”

 

The Officer snorts and then clears his throat.  “Sorry.”  He mutters.

 

“Now are you sure you still want to plead not guilty in light of other evidence we now have?”  I sit back in my seat with a smile.

 

“What other evidence?”  He looks warily at me.

 

“You are a very meticulous, as well as vicious, man.  You kept detailed records of your toys and comics…”

 

Collectibles...they are my collectibles!”  He growls.

 

Were but let’s move on...”  I hand him a raft of papers.  “Can you confirm that this is a copy of the spreadsheet for your toys?”

 

He glares at me again and I nod at the papers and wait for his answer.  “Yes it is.”

 

“Can you turn to page 57 please?”

 

Sweat starts to form on his forehead as the reason why he has to turn to page 57 most likely sinks in. He licks his lip.

 

“Prisoner Novotny, turn to page 57.”  The Officer orders.  “Or would you like me to do it for you?”

 

“I can manage.”  He spits at him and turns to the page.

 

“This spreadsheet, specifically page 57, will be entered into evidence as well as the disc.  Can you explain how you can plead not guilty to the thefts from Brian Kinney, your mother’s and Ben Bruckner-Smart’s homes when you have a detailed list of the things you stole?”

 

“You most probably did this to set me up.”  He snaps, pushing the papers away violently.

 

“This is a screenshot that clearly shows the date the document was modified before we opened it to print it.  Which was over two years ago, and the last entry made by you was for the Rage notebook.”

 

“I want to go back to my cell NOW!”  He demands, standing up.  “I refuse to sit here and be treated like this, like a criminal.”

 

“You are a criminal.”  I smirk.  “Hence your presence here in an orange jumpsuit and the inability to leave.”

 

“I said I want to leave!”  He yells.

 

“Attorney meeting with Prisoner Michael Charles Novotny terminated at Prisoner/attorney request.”

 

Meriam snickers and then waves through the window again for the TV to be switched off.

 

He marches to the door and glares at the Officer.  “Well?!”

 

“Aren’t you forgetting something?”  He drawls.

 

“What the fuck could I be forgetting?!”

 

“As the attorney, you would need to take the stuff we’ve given you so that you can present it in court.”  Charles points out.  “We’ll leave you to it.  The next meeting is in two weeks’ time.”

 

“Wait why that long?”

 

“Because we have other cases to work on and next Thursday is Thanksgiving.”  Charles smirks.  “I can’t wait to spend it there with the family. It’s going to be amazing.”

 

“Oh where are you going?”  Meriam asks as she gathers her things.

 

“Portland.  And Debs, Alice, Delia and Talon are in charge of food.”

 

As we walk out, the combination expression of surprised, crushed and annoyed on his face was priceless.

 

MICHAEL

 

I gather the stuff they left and follow him out.  I watch them leave thinking, you wait you fuckers...I’ll show you.

 

“I get to make a phone call today.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well I want to do it now.”  I demand.

 

“Fine.  Let’s go.”

 

He leans nonchalantly against the wall as I place the call.  “A little privacy.”

 

“You have that in solitary, remember?”  He smirks.  “Now hurry up! I’ve got a lunch to have.”

 

I grind my teeth and dial the number but it just rings and rings.  Where the hell is Lindsay? Surely she’s gotten over that little misunderstanding by now!

 

QUBE HOUSE – THURSDAY AFTERNOON

 

KITCHEN

 

BRIAN

 

I’m looking out of the kitchen window watching Justin come back from his walk.  These last few days have been exactly what we’ve needed.  Although the family has been here all the time, they’ve left us alone to deal with what he’s done... well except Blake.  

 

Blake has spent every day just listening to us and getting us to talk to each other.  About each and everything, including why I didn’t tell him about the cancer and that he’s terrified he’s going to lose his memories again.

 

“Hey.”  He slides his arms round me and gives me a squeeze.

 

“Hey.” I squeeze back and ask, “Did you manage to draw anything or was it a thinking walk?”

 

“Finished this.”  He shows me the drawing he started on Monday. It’s of me sleeping and I have a smile on my face, much like the one he had when I woke him up that morning.

 

“I love it.  Are we going to frame it?  Can you do one of yourself?”

 

“Yes to framing and no to one of myself since I don’t know what I look like when I’m asleep.”

 

“You look like that.”  I show him the picture on my phone.  “Took it on Monday just before you woke up.  Can you use it? I’d like it for my office.”

 

His eyes are bright and he smiles.  “Of course. Send it to me and I’ll work on it over the weekend.  Um, Emmy Lou was saying that they might check out a bar and club tonight and then Yard House on Saturday whilst getting some stuff for Thanksgiving.  Fancy that?”

 

“Definitely.  Hopefully Hunter won’t find anymore hidden treasures that interrupt our lunch.”

 

I lower my head and give him a soft but deep kiss before releasing his bottom lip with a pop.

 

Hunter clears his throat.  “There are no paintings here, Uncle Zeon has them all.”  He shifts from foot to foot before looking at us uncertainly.  “So you guys are coming, right?  You’re okay, right? I mean with each other?”

 

“Yes, yes and yes.”  Justin comes out of his slight daze.

 

“Great.  I’ll get mom to organise a coach.  Grandma Del has left some food if you fancy eating, in the Aga. Just a small snack of veal schnitzel and fries.”  As he heads out to find Zee, he turns back.  “There’s also a salad in the fridge for the long tall fellah who needs some meat on his damn bones.

 

“I do not!”  I grumble as I take out the fries and help myself to a handful.

 

“Then stop eating my fries!”  Justin pouts.

 

STORM ROOM – EARLY EVENING

 

BRIAN

 

“Hey you almost ready?”  I call out from the bathroom having almost finished styling my hair.

 

“Yep.  You?”

 

“Meet you downstairs in five minutes!  I promise!”  I call back.

 

“Five or we go without you!”

 

I hear the door shut and after four minutes, I am done.  I head downstairs and get wolf whistled by Faal but then I see Justin.

 

He’s wearing a suede sleeveless boiler suit in grey with his grey Gucci boots and God he looks gorgeous!

 

“Uh where did you get that and why haven’t I see you in it before?”  I walk round him.

 

“It was in the auction boxes”.  He steps away from me.  “Don’t look at me like that!  We are going out tonight; I need to dance.  Ben, Faal, Zeus and everyone else hold him off until I get into the coach!”  He yells and sprints off.

 

“Fucker!”  I yell at his retreating back and groan as his butt bounces deliciously away from me.

 

BUBBA’S SULKY LOUNGE – EARLY SATURDAY MORNING

 

EMMY LOU

 

I am so glad that we are out and more importantly that Stud and Baby are out and about. I was worried they would never leave the house.    

 

“Where’s Justin?”  Drew asks, noticing that Brian is talking to Zeph.

 

“Dancing over there with Zeon and Thomas.”  I point at Baby shaking his thing.

 

“Why isn’t Brian dancing with Justin?”  Drew frowns.  “Are you sure they’re…”

 

“Because he’s looking at Justin and has not stopped looking at him all night.”  Zee pats my arm, reassuringly.  “Now you and your queen need to shimmy your sweet stuff.”

 

“You heard the lady...take me my man!”  I demand and he sweeps me to the floor.

 

Two hours later, we are making our way back to the coach.  Brian and Justin take the back seat and start to make out.  But there’s something different. It’s less frantic, not so showy. It’s as if… like they are kissing for the first time and it’s beautiful.

 

“Uh mom, dad, do you remember my friend Kyran Lobe?  Came to the BBQ and is about my height but stockier?”  Matt calls out chortling, Zee frowns at him then nods.  “He’s moved back to Pittsburgh.”

 

“Wonderful!  He went into the military or something, right?”  Matt nods.  “Great.  Can I go back to sleep now?”

 

“Want to hear the something he went to do?”

 

“Will you shut up about it if we say yes?”  Faal groans sleepily.

 

“Yep.”  Matt is bouncing on his seat and looks impatiently at his father.

 

“Matt.”  Faal growls.

 

“He’s a Corrections Officer at Pennsylvania Upstate Correctional Facility and guess who he gets to look after…”

 

He has everyone’s attention now.  “Oh please God, make it so?”  Faal looks heavenward.

 

“Yep one Michael Charles Novotny and it seems he’s already had his privileges revoked!”

 

We laugh all the way home.

 

STORM ROOM

 

JUSTIN

 

“Sit down.  Let me help you with that.”  Brian orders and kneels at my feet and takes off my boots, massaging my feet as he does. I groan in delight.  “Come on get up and let’s have a shower.”

 

He tugs me into the bathroom, tenderly undresses me and hangs up my bubble-butt-suit as he has taken to calling it.  Quickly he undresses and we get in the shower. He gently washes my hair and then the rest of me then to my surprise, he kneels down in front of me so I can wash his hair for him.  After I finish, we make our way silently to the bedroom, having oiled each other’s skin.

 

“God you looked so beautiful tonight.”  He smiles.  “So beautiful.”

 

“So did you.”  I stroke his chest and then scoot up so that our faces are level and kiss him.

 

He pushes me onto my back.  “Justin.”  He moans into my mouth.

 

“Please Brian, please.”  I beg and he reaches for the lube.  “Don’t need it.  Please now.”

 

Inch by perfect inch he slides into me and sucks on my neck at the same time.  “Oh God!”

 

Once he’s fully embedded he goes still and we lock gazes.  “I love you Justin Cole Taylor-Kinney and I will never stop loving you.”

 

“I love you Brian Aiden Taylor-Kinney and I will love you even more if you move!”

 

He snorts and gives a quick jerk of his hips.  “Uh!”  I gasp.

 

“Say it properly.”

 

“And I will never stop loving you.”  I tell him between kisses.

 

“Better.”

 

He withdraws almost all the way and then glides back in nailing my prostate.

 

I come immediately.  “Jesus oh!”  I shudder and clench hard.

 

“Fuck!”  He yelps, then his hips jerk and he pumps into me.

 

We look at each other in surprise and then burst out laughing.

 

“Wow that was hard and fast!”  He pants.

 

“I haven’t come like that in my life!”  I giggle.

 

“Perhaps we should’ve taken the edge off in the shower?”  He murmurs, brushing my hair out of my eyes.

 

“Or we can have shower sex now?”

 

“Yeah that, let’s definitely do that!”  He chuckles.

 

WINTER ROOM

 

DREW

 

“Where have you been and what’s so funny?”  I ask Emmy Lou and he closes the door.

 

“Lilah was chirruping to get in but her daddies were busy. So I took her back downstairs.”

 

“So why is that funny?”  I pull him into my arms and rub his arms to warm him up.

 

“Oh that’s not what was funny.  What was funny was I overheard them laughing after they both shot early.”

 

“Shot?  Emmy!”  I chuckle.  “Wait… Brian was laughing about sex?”  I look at him to see if he’s joking.

 

“Yes, they both were.  I’m so happy for them and almost feel sorry for Michael.”

 

“Okay why and why?”

 

“Because they are happy and finally after such a hard road, completely at peace with each other.  And if Michael is stupid enough to put Justin on the stand, he will eviscerate the whiny fucker!”

 

“Speaking of fucking.”  I grind my cock into his ass and he laughs that laugh of his.

 

NEW JERSEY WOMEN’S CORRECTIONAL FACILITY – FRIDAY AFTERNOON

 

INTERVIEW ROOM 2

 

LINDSAY

 

“Are you kidding me? This is actually a legally binding document?!”  I gasp.  “I didn’t arrange this!  I was assured by my now-former friend that there would be no comeback from her.”

 

“And who is this friend?  Can he corroborate this?”  Lance Wright, the lawyer, because of Talon I have to pay for, looks over his glasses at me.  “Save the tears for the courtroom.   Who is this friend?”

 

“Michael Novotny.  But he’s been arrested for assaulting me and I don’t know where he is…”

 

“Michael Novotny?  And what’s this about assault?  I wasn’t told about this.”

 

I explain what happened in my own words and wait for his response.

 

“Hmm.  Interesting.  Well I can answer a couple of things for you.  Michael Novotny is in prison in Pennsylvania…”

 

“What on earth for?  The assault happened here.”  I bridle.

 

“Yes I know that but the cases in Pittsburgh take precedence over your assault…”

 

“What cases?  What has he done?”  I demand, slightly insulted.

 

I gape at him as he lists what Michael is charged with and slump back in my chair, my mind racing.

 

“I asked, did you know about the garage?”  Lance repeats, jolting me out of my thinking.

 

“No!  Because I obviously wouldn’t have done what I did!”

 

“Are you trying to tell me that Michael Novotny asked you to skim off the top of your commissions?”

 

“Yes, and of course, there’s the extortion attempt. Well he would’ve attempted it if I had gotten pregnant.”

 

“Which led to the assault in the first place? You failing to get pregnant with your boyfriend but then refusing to get pregnant by him?”

 

“Exactly.”

 

“Are you willing to testify to that end? I mean in the Novotny trial?”

 

“Absolutely.  Would that make a difference to what sentence I get?”

 

“As long as it can be proven that he coerced you into the commissioning the fraud then yes it would make a difference.”

 

“Thank you Mr Wright. It's so good to have someone finally on my side.”

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review, kindly and constructively.  Thank you.