- Text Size +

CHAPTER 61: REALLY HAVEN’T THOUGHT THIS THROUGH HAVE YOU


 


PENNSYLVANIA UPSTATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY- FRIDAY MORNING


 


WARDEN JOBE’S OFFICE


 


MICHAEL


 


“Novotny!”  I get up when my name is called, and shuffle inside. I still don’t see the need for the leg chains.


 


“Nobody said you could sit.”  The guy I presume is the warden, doesn’t look up from what he is reading.  I wait for him to look up and sigh.  “Not going to get me to read any faster by sighing, either.”


 


Finally, after what felt about 10 minutes, he looks up and leans back in his chair.


 


“So what did you want to see me about?”  


 


“First…”  I go to sit down but he shakes his head at me. I sigh heavily and wait. He smirks, resting his hand on his chin and I can’t help but inwardly I swear at his smugness.  “Why am I back here and not in Pittsburgh and secondly, why has the trial been delayed?”


 


Sir.”


 


“Pardon?”


 


“You need to start or end your sentence to me with a sir.  It makes me much more co-operative.  So let’s start again.”


 


“Why am I back here and why has the trial been delayed sir?”  I smile sweetly at him.


 


“No room at Pittsburgh…”  He begins but I interrupt him with a scoff.  


 


“There was plenty of room sir and...”


 


“Not for medium risk prisoners and you are deemed a medium risk prisoner.  And a new jury has to be sworn in.”


 


“What for sir?”  I try not to roll my eyes at that.


 


“Because you calling them cunts has not endeared you to them.  We don’t want you to have any reason for delaying this any more than it has to be.  Return to your cell now.”


 


“Why can’t I be in solitary like last time sir?”


 


“Because this is a prison, not a holiday camp. You go where we say you go.  Now go back to your cell.  Guard remove the prisoner.”


 


The guard deliberately takes longer strides so that I’m almost falling over trying to keep up with him.  He takes his time taking off the shackles.


 


“Were they necessary?”  I ask.


 


“Yeah you were deemed a flight risk…”


 


“How could I be a flight risk?”  I sigh exasperated.


 


“Well you managed to escape from solitary, call a psychologist and then made it back in without anyone noticing.”  He snickers and I stare coldly at him.  “With the bracelets you rattling like Marley’s Ghost gives us a sporting chance.”


 


I really want to kick him in his smug face.  “Oh and another couple of things.  You have a lawyer meeting in an hour.  And on Sunday, you get company.”


 


“Company?”  I feel my stomach drop at the very idea of sharing a cell overnight with a hardened criminal.  “And who is this person?”


 


“Bubba.”  He smiles and then shuts the cell door.


 


PITTSBURGH WOMEN’S CORRECTIONAL FACILITY


 


INTERVIEW ROOM


 


EDWIN


 


Now that I know who I’m dealing with, I can see the hardness behind the simpering woe-is-me nature.  She’s still bitching about Martha constantly correcting her behaviour.  I hope that Zee is able to help with Martha. She needs to get away from Pittsburgh.


 


I read back on their cases and Google was indeed my friend with Zaden ‘Zee’ Ugerstacht. This lady is a piece of work and I mean that in a good way!   I was astonished to find out exactly who she is.  I can’t wait to meet her, which will be tonight.  Matt has decreed that he’s heard enough about me and told Kyran that he has to bring me to meet the family.


 


“So why is it delayed again?”  She snipes.


 


“Because he displayed such a charming attitude by calling the jurors cunts, it was thought they wouldn’t be impartial the next time they saw him.”


 


“Oh what an idiot.”  She scoffs.  “So when would I be called?”


 


“Depends on how the questioning goes with him and the prosecution.”


 


“You’re not giving me much!”  She huffs and glares at me.


 


“Back at you.”  I snark back.  “You want something for nothing.”  I lean back and look at her.  “He is calling you as a character witness for him.  And you will no doubt be asked about the people he considers to blame for what he did.”


 


“So what do I have do?  I mean to get a reduced sentence.”


 


“Tell the truth about what you know.  Make sure when it comes to the van hire that you ensure that you had nothing to do with it, you didn’t touch the van at all…”  Something about the way she reacts stops me in my tracks.  “Peterson?”


 


“Well I may have borrowed the van to move some stuff.”  She shifts uncomfortably.


 


“What stuff?”  I demand.


 


“Just some pieces of art and furniture that I wanted to keep for my…in storage.”


 


I slide the pad across to her.  “Word to the wise.  Never lie to your lawyer.  Write down everything you used that van for now!”


 


She glares at me and at first, I don’t think she’s going to do anything but then she picks up the pen and starts to write.  Ten minutes later, I’m heading to Chase, Donaldson and Draper.


 


PENNSYLVANIA UPSTATE CORRECTIONAL FACILITY


 


INTERVIEW ROOM


 


MICHAEL


 


People keep saying I don’t know Brian but I know him very well.  And they are about to find out how much.


 


“So the trial will definitely start next Friday?”  I demand.


 


“Yes.  We understand that you want to add two more witnesses?”  Williams asks.


 


“Before we go onto that…”


 


There is a knock at the door and they look at me for an explanation.  “No idea.”  I state and I nod at the guard to open the door.  He ignores me and looks at Williams.  “Are you expecting anyone sir?”


 


“No.”


 


“Attorney interview with Novotny, Ephraim Williams and Charles Phelps-Brown paused.”


 


He opens the door.  “Sorry, is Michael Novotny in here?”  A voice asks and I frown as I recognise it as my secondary attorney’s.


 


“Yes and you are?”


 


“Albert Thomas, his secondary attorney.”  He sounds out of breath as if he’s been running.


 


“Albert?!”  HB calls out and he indicates to the guard he should let him in.


 


“Now just a minute!”  I bluster.


 


“Sorry I’m late. I wasn’t told about this meeting.”  He looks angrily at me.  “Charles, how are you?”  He shakes his hand and then turns to Williams.  “And how are you after that first day?”


 


He shrugs nods at the guard and he taps the window behind us.  “Attorney interview restarted with the arrival of Albert Thomas, secondary attorney for Michael Novotny.”


 


“Where are we?”  He asks and reaches across to take my pad and frowns.  “Where are you questions?  Your order of the witnesses and speaking of which, you can’t call Craig Taylor without a subpoena.”


 


“Why not?”  I demand.


 


“He doesn’t want to appear for a nasty faggot.  Besides, he’s in jail for destruction of property with intent.  Again, where are your questions and your order of witnesses?”


 


“I will think of…”


 


“No.  I need to know what you are going to say ahead of the trial.  And before you do that, you need to do your order of witnesses. So start writing please.”


 


I can see the smirk twitching at HB’s lips.  “Mr Novotny.  You’ve already wasted my time by not informing me of this.  Let’s not waste any more of it.”


 


I snatch up the pen and write down my witness order and hand it to him and he frowns.  “Why are you calling someone who wasn’t even there?  Zaden Ugerstacht hadn’t met you yet.”


 


“She’s the reason I couldn’t return the property.”  He stares at me for a few seconds before clearing his throat hard.  “I am scared of her.”


 


“And what exactly are your questions for her?”   He runs his fingers through his hair.  “You are aware that she’s in the security services, correct?”


 


“Of course I am!  This is why I couldn’t…”


 


He holds up his hand and waves at the paper.  “Your questions for her.”


 


“I only have the one.  I want to know why she turned Brian away from me.”


 


“The reason I said write it down is so the opposing counsel doesn’t hear them.”  He rolls his eyes.  “That way they can be surprised.”  He snarks.


 


“Joan Kinney is going to attend.  She was rather keen.  So that goes in your favour.”  He tells us.


 


I smirk and inside I’m dancing.


 


“Is there anything about her that could be counterproductive to you?  I always find that someone who is that enthusiastic has an agenda.”


 


I shake my head.


 


“Right people, we will see you next Friday.”  He rips the pages off the pad and puts them in his case, he catches my look.  “I will be back next Thursday and we will go through them.”


 


He nods at the guard.  “Attorney interview with Michael Attorney is now at an end.”  Officer Mount taps the glass.


 


Who the fuck does this guy think he is?!


 


CHASE, DONALDSON AND DRAPER – EARLY EVENING


 


CHARLES’S OFFICE


 


I’m still chuckling at the expression on his face as we left.  He looked like he had all his toys taken away… oh wait, he did.


 


“Charles?  Edwin Birch is here. Says it’s urgent.”  Sophie calls from the door.


 


“Sure send him in.”  I stand up and shake his hand and wave that he sits down.  “What can I do for you, counsellor?”


 


“I’m representing Lindsay Peterson.”  He replies.


 


“Ah.  How’s that going for you?”


 


“Sadly client attorney privilege prevents me from saying anything.”  He takes out a piece of paper.  “However, she’s mentioned something that I think, uh a Melanie Marcus, should know about.”  He hands it to me.  “Seems she took some stuff from her and stored it with her parents.”


 


I sigh and take it from him.  “Thanks Edwin.  I’m seeing her tonight. I’ll give it to her then.”


 


“Shall we go then?”  He grins at me.


 


“Go?”  I look confused.


 


“Yeah.”  He blushes.  “Kyran said to bring Japanese whisky, is this the correct one?  I want to make a good impression?”


 


“Oh I see!  You made a good impression when you dropped everything to be with him. Give the whisky to Mel.”  I chuckle.


 


TREEHOUSE – EARLY EVENING


 


KITCHEN


 


ZEE


 


This is a good thing!  This is a good thing!  This is a good thing!  Right now, Tom and I are staring at the destruction that is my kitchen.  Emmy has long given up and gone to lie down with a headache with Miss Scarlett and Rhett but Drew has at least managed to coax him back downstairs and into the lounge.


 


I am looking at Brian, Faal, Hunter, Steve, Carl, Tucker and Zeus who have more flour and sugar on them, individually, than a five year old making their first cake.


 


“Okay.”  I take another breath and try not to scream.  “Amazingly enough, these are looking pretty good.  Now go and get cleaned up and send in Debs!”  I order.


 


“Ems already told me and…holy shit!  Jen!”  Debs bellows when she sees the kitchen.  “You guys out and back down in 20 minutes. I don’t give a fuck how your hair looks!  We’ve got company coming.  Justin!”   He too looks horrified when he comes in.  “You sit on the loveseat where we can see you!”


 


Brian stomps out, muttering about people ruining his shower routine.


 


An hour later, my kitchen is back to its pristine best and then the doorbell rings.


 


KYRAN


 


“Aunt Zee!”  I yell and scoop her into my arms.  I haven’t seen her for months, what with my dad and everything.  “Where’s…”


 


“Come here immediately!”  Uncle Faal bellows and I fly to him.


 


“How is your dad?”


 


“Much better.  He says hi.  Oh sorry!”  I go back to the door to grab a somewhat stranded Edwin.  “Aunt Zee, Uncle Faal, this is Edwin.”


 


“You look better when you smile.”  Aunt Zee teases him.  “Thanks for being there for him.  Only child.”


 


“Nice to meet you both too.  And so do you.  The murderous expression doesn’t work in court.”


 


The kitchen door flings open and Mel storms to the back kitchen with Leda hot on her heels.


 


“Uh?”  Aunt Zee looks across.


 


“I suspect Charles has told her something about my client.”  He intones dryly.


 


“Guys!  Kyran and Edwin are here!”  Uncle Faal shouts out.


 


Pretty soon, it feels like old times.  I can’t believe he’s married now.  I remember when we came out of the motocross centre he just said him, it’s him.  I’m not going to lie, and I didn’t to him, I was scared for him about the HIV but they are solid and they get tested every three months.


 


“Exactly how much can we discuss?”  Blake asks.


 


“Well I can tell you who his secondary is and who the new judge is.”  Ephie grins as does Charles.  “Albert Thomas is his secondary and Narda Paal is the new judge.”


 


Mel whistles.  “Oh that is not going to be pretty.”


 


“So what was up with you earlier?”  Aunt Zee asks her.


 


“Oh nothing it’s…”


 


“Spill.”  Grandpa Carl demands.


 


“Lindsay took some stuff from the house whilst we were together and left it with her parents.  Some of them were from my grandparents and my dad!  That fucking bitch!”  She angrily brushes away her tears.


 


Aunt Zee shakes her head and then leaves the room.


 


“Is it theft?”  I ask Edwin and he sighs.  “No because it was wedding presents. She’s been a bitch, not a thief.”


 


Aunt Zee pokes her back in.  “Leda, Jen a word!”


 


Twenty minutes later, the three of them come back into the lounge looking very pleased with themselves.  Leda sits next to Mel and puts her arms round her.


 


“So… when her parents packed the entire house they kept her stuff in storage.  So we’re going there tomorrow to go through the unit and take back what is yours.”  She squeezes her and Mel sniffles.


 


Edwin is beaming then frowns.  “Oh about Martha?”


 


“Oh yeah thanks for the reminder.”  I sigh.  “Aunt Zee, remember me telling you about Martha? Well she’s back but should be back out in a couple of weeks.”


 


“Who’s Martha?”  Grandma Debs demands and after I finish telling them about her she’s nodding.  “San Fran?  We would need someone there right?  That gets her out of the Pitts.  Ted, you and I will talk on Monday about this, got it?”


 


“Yes Debs.”


 


ZEE


 


“Okay so can we present what almost had me murdering half the people that are in this damn lounge?”


 


“We weren’t that bad!”  Zeus objects.


 


“It took four people and a run not to kill you!”  She retorts.  “From now on, the only people that cook in my kitchen are me, Emmy, Tom, Alice, Jen and Debs.”


 


“So what is it?”  Justin asks.  “And do I need to get up?”


 


“Just sit and stay there.  We’ll serve.”  Debs grins.  “Oh wait.  Where’s the pot?”


 


We head to the kitchen and take out pudding then go giggling back in.


 


“Aunt Zee, why is there so much money in there?”  Kyran asks.


 


“More family, more money.”  She grins.  “We have bets on reactions to things.”  I explain to Edwin.  “Brian and Justin have been taken out of most of the options because their reaction to most things is to disappear to the bedroom for a couple of hours.  But they’re in this one.”


 


Ephie chuckles.  “Oh by the way, 3rd floor. Come out the lift, turn left and the 2nd stall from the end.”


 


“Thanks.”  Brian leans over to kiss Justin.  “Remember that.  Friday may be a bit tough.”


 


“I know it will be and I will remember.”  Justin sniffs.  “Oh God, what is that?”


 


“Donuts.”  I reply.  “We have peanut fudge chocolate rings, spelt splits with apple cinnamon and custard and blueberry cheesecake.  Now dig in.”


 


The plates are cleared within twenty minutes.


 


“Oh that was so good.”  Justin groans as he finishes off his third blueberry cheesecake.


 


“Did you tell him?”  Ben demands.


 


“Nope.  I honestly didn’t tell him.”


 


“Tell me what?”  Justin asks, looking around.


 


“He made the blueberry cheesecake donuts.”  I smile at the blush creeping up Brian’s face.


 


The look on Justin’s face spoke volumes even before he says anything. He stands up and turns to Brian.  “You.  Bed.  Now.”


 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thanks