- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The 'whats wrong with Lindsay' question is answered...

CHAPTER 45: REVELATIONS LEAD TO BAD REACTIONS AND GOOD ONES

 

TARTUFO CASTLE, TUSCANY – MONDAY MORNING

 

KITCHEN

 

DEBS

 

Brian looks like shit.  I hand him a mug of coffee and he almost takes down half of it in one gulp.

 

“How’s Justin?”  Jen asks.  “Should I go see him?”

 

“Trying not to freak the fuck out.  He, well we, both had a shit night’s sleep.  You can risk it if you like but you know what he’s like when he’s tired and worried.”

 

She nods and grabs a cup of coffee.  “I’ll risk it.”  She decides and heads up to the room.

 

We sit together in silence before I have to ask.  “Do you think he had anything to do with…?”

 

“If he did, I will kill him!”  He hisses before looking contrite.  “Sorry ma but…”

 

“No need.”  I reach over and squeeze his hand.  “The kid I raised is long gone. Whoever the fuck that is deserves exactly what’s coming to him.”

 

Lilah, as if sensing his distress, hops into his lap with a soft mew and stretches up to be wrapped round his neck.  Milo chirrups at the door and he opens it and he trots off to find his human.

 

At first I don’t notice but then hear the small choking noise and I rush round to his side before engulfing him and Lilah in my arms.  Ems comes in, takes one look at the situation nods and leaves.

 

EMS

 

If I ever get my hands on Michael the cunt Novotny, I shall keel haul him by his very small balls!  Some of the family are heading to the kitchen but I shake my head and they head to the lounge instead.  Ten minutes later, a red eyed Brian heads upstairs with Lilah wrapped firmly around his neck.

 

Zee has gone to meet Xanthe with Sol and Charles but should be back soon.  Alice’s squeeze on my arm brings me out of my reverie.

 

“I know people. It will hurt like fuck but they will make it look like an interesting suicide.”

 

“I’ll keep that in mind.”  I sigh.  “Come on, let’s get this family fed.  I think we’re going to be leaving after we eat.  I heard Faal and Mac talking last night and everyone just wants to get home and sort this out. This anticipation isn’t doing anybody any good!”

 

TALON’S CONDO – LUNCHTIME

 

LANDING

 

MICHAEL

 

Great... just what I want to hear... the sound of Lindsay throwing up!  Thank goodness we don’t share a bathroom!

 

I head downstairs, trying not to reach for my phone and call them again.  I pass Grady on the stairs with a glass of water.

 

“For Lindsay, in case you were wondering.”  He snipes.

 

I shrug and try not to roll my eyes.  I have more important things to worry about apart from her chucking her guts… wait!  She’s being sick!  She’s tired and she’s put on more weight!  Finally, my plan has worked!  Now for stage two.

 

BLOOM GALLERY – LATE AFTERNOON

 

LYDIA

 

I’ve gone through everything with a fine-tooth comb and sadly she was straight as an arrow with Bloom.  Though methinks, it was more to do with diligence on behalf of Sidney than honesty on her part!  I’m just waiting to hear from Marek. Although she was not involved in Uptown, better to be safe than sorry.

 

“Hey Lydia!”  Marek startles me.

 

“Goodness for the love of fuck!  Don’t do that to a lady wearing Prada and holding coffee!”

 

He chuckles at my, no doubt, indignant expression.  “Well?”

 

“Nothing untoward.”  He shifts in his seat and snorts at my dejected expression.  “But heard some interesting bit of gossip about the Kirkidan Series.  You remember that we loaned them out to the galleries round here?”  I nod.  “Well it seems she tried to get them to come to her directly instead of Hunter, citing her close family ties and his inexperience dealing with inter-gallery relationships.”

 

My hackles are well and truly up now!  If I had known about this her flat ass would’ve been grass.  “What squashed that little enterprise?”

 

“They did.  They didn’t want to deal with her.  They would rather take a chance on naïveté than rank opportunism.”  He chuckles.

 

I burst out laughing.  “So they saw right through that?”

 

“Lydia is everything okay?  I mean with the family?”

 

I snort.  On the Avenue and beyond they are known as the Family.  “Yes just tying up some loose ends, don’t worry.  Now more importantly are you going to the auction on Saturday?”

 

“Oh God yes!  I can’t believe the stuff they have.  I have placed reserves on at least three suits and there is a Huggy Bear suit that my other half said he will leave me if I don’t get for him!”

 

“Huggy Bear suit?”  I echo and he comes round the desk and clicks on the auction site.  He shows me a suit in brown suede, the pants are plain but the jacket is different of brown patches.

 

“Oh my God that is divine!”  I gasp and then giggle.  “And you have no hope of getting that.”

 

“Why not?”  He bridles.

 

“Darling, I mean this in the most loving of ways.  I’ve seen your better half and there is no way in hell he’s fitting into that!”

 

He looks again at it and then joins me in the giggles.  “Good point.  I’ll find something else to soothe his no doubt going to be ruffled feathers.”

 

WHITE & SULLIVAN – MONDAY EVENING

 

ADAM

 

There are times when being Michael Novotny has its advantages for his enemies and he can count me as one of them.  Sol has been emailing and I have checked the paperwork again on the Rudyard Garages and Hunter has the right to inspect any garage if he has reason to believe that there evidence of criminal activity.  Now all I need to do is find a judge to sign off on the search warrant.

 

I head to Alleghany Courthouse praying to every deity there is.

 

PLANE BACK TO PITTSBURGH

 

XANTHE

 

I’ve been caught up on what’s happening and I have never heard the like of it.  No wonder they are so quiet. It is a lot to take on board.

 

Sol and Charles have reassured me that I have absolutely nothing to worry about with regards to Luther. He’s just being Luther!  They are still both coming with me for the meeting and Zander and Zephaniah are coming with us too.  We’re staying at Zander’s condo.  Seems they want a word with their father!

 

MILLIE & HAROLD’S RESIDENCE – TUESDAY AFTERNOON

 

OFFICE

 

HAROLD

 

“Thanks Lydia.  I had a feeling we wouldn’t find anything bad there but it was worth a try.  Yes, we’ll see you on Saturday.”

 

I have never seen Millie look so disappointed!  “Oh don’t pout darling.”  I comfort her.  “If it brings you any comfort the sentencing in New York is far more severe than Pittsburgh.”

 

“A small grain of comfort, I suppose.”  She grumbles.

 

“About 15 years of comfort, depending on the judge.”  I add and the smile could light up the sky.

 

RUDYARD GARAGES, SCRANTON – EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING

 

ADAM

 

This is not going to be a fun day for Ben, Brian and Justin.  Especially the latter two.  From what I’ve been told Brian went haring after Justin to bring him back from New York after the break-in at the punching insistence of Debs and Michael went with him.  How that must have stuck in his craw!

 

Brian, being the meticulous man that he is, has given me a list of everything that was stolen at the time.

 

I still can’t believe what happened last night…

 

Flashback – Alleghany Courthouse

I dash into the courthouse trying to find a Judge Williams only to find out that he’s been called into an emergency hearing.  As I head back to my car, I hear my name being called.

 

“Adam White, long time now see!  How are you?”  Judge Meriam Maatje greets me warmly.

 

“Been better.”  I sigh.  “Was hoping to get Judge Williams to sign on a search warrant…”

 

“Oh I’m not good enough then?”  She teases.

 

“Uh, it’s not that. It’s just that there’s history with this one for you?”

 

She frowns and does an about face.  “My chambers.”  She orders, reaching for the paperwork.

 

Her clerk is still there and asks if she needs her to stay. Judge Maatje nods as she crosses behind her desk.  “I believe so.”

 

We settle down and she groans.  “Really?  Him?  What has he done this time?”

 

I explain to her everything that we’ve found out.  “Pen.”

 

“But if you do this you’ll most likely be…”

 

“Pen.”  She states firmly and signs the document.  “Good luck Mr White.”

End of flashback

 

The security guard has been given permission by Hunter to open up the garage and he seems to relish taking his time.  I look across at one of the police officers and he nods.

 

“Unless you want to be made an accessory after the fact, I would hurry this along if I were you.”  I threaten and that has the desired effect.

 

When he opens it up, it is like a treasure trove.  The car is there in its full glory, covered in a layer of dust but it’s the Tremont stuff we are after.  They load the barrel into the van and take it down to the station and we leave them to impound everything else.  That’s the thing about being Michael Novotny... he doesn’t read too well.

 

CHASE, DONALDSON & DRAPER – MID-MORNING

 

EPHRAIM’S OFFICE

 

EPHRAIM

 

Adam said he would lawyer up and he has. Not only that, but he has a representative from Pearl with him.  So this is the guy that Novotny cheated on Ben with.  Basically he was fucking himself or most likely being fucked by himself. There’s no way in hell that boy is a top!

 

“So Mr Rollins, thank you for coming in…”  I begin before he interrupts abruptly.

 

“I don’t know what I’m doing here.  Having an affair maybe amoral but not illegal.  I wasn’t the one who was married at the time…”

 

“True but insurance fraud is illegal.”  I reply smoothly and watch his eyes widen.

 

“Insurance…”

 

“Yes, you were having an affair with a man who consequently cashed in a policy to the tune of fifty gees in respect of his dead but still very much alive but now ex-husband.  Whose signature even Stevie Wonder could see was fake.”

 

Harry shoots me a warning glance whilst smirking.

 

“And how come there is no copy of the death certificate on file?”  I question nonchalantly, looking through the papers.

 

“I-I…”

 

“You-you…  Let me finish that sentence for you.  You are looking at a minimum of 5 years for collusion unless you can give me a reason to give you a deal…and to not drag Pearl through the shit.”

 

The guy from Pearl clears his throat and opens his case.  “I took the liberty of printing out everything with regards to that policy and here it is.  Mr Rollins you are fired.  Good day gentlemen.”

 

“So, Mr Rollins, still going to protect your former now living in New York lover?”

 

“No.  No, I’m not.”  He growls.

 

EVIDENCE ROOM, 57TH PRECINCT, PITTSBURGH

 

CARL

 

I turn to Brian and Justin, wishing I, we were, anywhere but here.  “Ready?”

 

They nod and I signal Det. Langton to lift the cover off the table.  “Fuck.”  Brian breathes.

 

“Mr and Mr Taylor-Kinney, do you recognise anything on this table?”  Langton asks.

 

“Uh huh.  Everything.  Some of the stuff is from before I even met Justin.”

 

“I’m going to kill him!”  Justin snarls.

 

“No sir, you can’t touch it.  Please point out what you want to have a closer look at.”

 

He points to a pad and Langton holds it up for him.  “What is this sir?”

 

“C-can you open it please?”  Justin is pressing into Brian’s side and has gone pale.

 

He does so and Justin goes paler.  “I have been looking for this for years.”  He whispers.  “And he had it all the time.”

 

“What is it?”  I ask.

 

“The original drawings of Rage.”  Brian answers.  “Wh-when we bought him out he said he had returned everything. Surely this is…”

 

“Fraud.  Yes it is.  By retaining this, he’s committed fraud.”  Adam replies.

 

“Brian is there anything from the burglary?”  Justin’s voice is so small and never have I wanted to hug them both so hard.

 

“Yeah.  That suit, the brown Armani one, the grey shirt and why the fuck would you keep an unwashed glass?  And…oh fuck no!”

 

Justin looks at Brian and then at the table.  “I-I thought you threw it away?”

 

“I couldn’t.  I just couldn’t.  But when I couldn’t find it, I assumed you did.  He-he must have come back at some point and found it and…trashcan!”

 

I rub his back while he throws up and signal for a break.  The table is covered again.  Adam helps Justin to sit down.

 

“Water... go get some water!”  I order.

 

“Want to tell me?  I’ll understand if you don’t.”

 

“The scarf. It was what Brian was wearing on the night I was bashed.  Michael took it.”

 

“Jesus.”  I whisper and try to think how the hell I’m going to tell Red.

 

“Realistically?”  I look at Adam, who has gone pale.  “What are we looking at here?  I’m thinking fraud, theft and in the case of the stuff from the robbery at least possession of stolen goods?”

 

Adam just nods.

 

MOUNT SINAI HOSPITAL – AFTERNOON

 

LINDSAY

 

Michael had been going on and on about me being pregnant but I kept telling him I’m too old for a start but he’s having none of it and so here we are waiting for an unnecessary scan.  The nurse applies the gel to my stomach and I wince and hiss as she presses down.

 

“Had that pain long?”  She queries, snapping off her gloves.  “Taking anything for it?”

 

“Aludrox and for the last month.  It’s just an acidic stomach. I’ve been under a lot of stress.”

 

“Well I can end this pregnancy speculation right now.”  We all turn to look at her.  “Going by the site of the pain, I think you have an ulcer and that’s what’s causing the bloating.”

 

I give Michael my I told you look.  “Come with me, so I can just confirm it.”

 

Twenty minutes later, we are heading home in a cab and Michael is incandescent.

 

TALON’S CONDO

 

LOUNGE

 

MICHAEL

 

“How the fuck are you not pregnant?!”  I shout at her.  “This ruins everything!”

 

“Michael, will you calm down?!  You’re not helping my stress levels!”  Lindsay barks back.

 

“The whole fucking point of me putting holes in the condoms is that you were supposed…”

 

Fuck!

 

“Holes in the condoms?”  Grady repeats and then looks at Lindsay, who looks shell-shocked.

 

“M-Michael, tell me you didn’t do this?”  She whispers as Grady runs out of the room.

 

A few minutes later, he’s back holding a box of condoms.  “Here!”  He spits at her flinging condom after condom at her.  “Each and every fucking one of them has pinpricks in them!”

 

“Grady you have to believe me, I had…”

 

“Well it wouldn’t have made a fucking jot of difference!  I’m infertile!”

 

“You’re fucking what?!”  I scream.

 

“Testicular cancer will do that to a guy!”  He grabs his coat.  “Oh and I’ve been fucking around on you Lindsay!  As much as I love pussy, there is something to be said for a nice tight ass, and before you get too smug Michael, yours wasn’t it!  But rest assured despite doing it bareback, I am clean. I only bareback for one guy.  I’ll be leaving now!  I shall collect my stuff tomorrow and if there is one stitch damaged, you will pay.”

 

He slams out of the condo and Lindsay and I just stare at each other in shock.

 

She comes round first.  “You were putting holes in…  Do you realise the danger you could’ve put me in?!”

 

My mind in racing.  “Sorry Lindsay but I have another idea.”

 

“Another…”

 

“It’s simple; I don’t know why we didn’t think of it before!”

 

“Michael?  What…”

 

“You have my baby.  You’re not that old.  And we sign over our rights to mom for…”

 

“No, absolutely not!”  She yells holding her side.  “Do you think I have forgotten how you were when Mel was pregnant with Jenny?!  Believe you me, I haven’t! Plus your sanctimonious attitude when we temporarily split up was sickening.”  She snarls.  “I wouldn’t have your kid if ordered by God himself!”  She spits.

 

I don’t know where it came from but I double slap her and she falls to the sofa.

 

“Lindsay!  Oh God Lindsay, I’m so…”

 

“Get the fuck away from her!”  Medea screams and gets between me and Lindsay.

 

“You keep out of this!”  I yell.

 

“I’m calling the police!  Just try and take this phone from me... oh please just try!”

 

“What the hell is going on?”  Gerald shouts coming into the room

 

“Make sure that doesn’t leave the room!  He just assaulted Lindsay!”

 

Gerald closes and locks the door before standing in front of it.

 

“Medea, please honestly it's okay. He was just angry.”  Lindsay mutters with tears in her eyes.

 

“See, its fine.  I just lost my shit temporarily and…”

 

“The cemeteries and other places are filled with woman and some men who listened to the ‘I’m sorry, I will never do it again’ song.  Well times have changed.  She doesn’t have to report it!”

 

“Lindsay please!”

 

“Honey let me see your face?”  Medea asks her and I can see the bruises already starting to form.

 

“Hello?  Police please.  I want to report a case of assault…”

 

Twenty minutes later, I’m in the back of a police car shouting at Lindsay to see reason!

 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Please review kindly and constructively.  Thank you.