- Text Size +

 

Chapter 11

^^^^^^^^

"Dad?"

"Yeah."

"Do you think I can do this?"

"Do what?"

"Intern at Kinnetik."

"Gus, you'll be a glorified gofer. You can certainly do that."

"But … I'm the boss' son. Everybody will be looking at me, judging me."

Brian let out a sigh. "If there's one thing I've learned over the course of my life, it's that people will always judge you. There's nothing you can do about it. But what you have to learn is when it matters that they're judging you, and when not to give a fuck."

"But don't you want me to be a good example for the other employees?"

"A good example of what?"

"Of … of a worker. Shouldn't I try to be better than all of them?"

"That's a noble goal, Sonny Boy, but it's also a surefire way to make them all hate you."

"Wh…what do you mean?"

"I mean that the best thing you can do is be yourself. Work hard and do each task to the best of your ability, but don't try to overshadow anyone else. Just do what makes you feel satisfied with yourself, and everything else will fall into place."

"You think?" Gus asked with a little smile. He could certainly do that.

"I know."

"Thanks, Dad," Gus said as they pulled into the parking lot at Kinnetik.

"Do me proud," Brian said as he squeezed Gus' shoulder. They walked into the building together.

"Hey Boss, Gus," Ted said when he saw them walking towards Brian's office.

"Morning, Schmidt," Brian smirked. "What can I do for you?"

"I heard Gus was starting today. I have some numbers I'd like him to run with me," Ted explained as they made their way into Brian's office.

"Running numbers is definitely not what I brought Gus here to learn," Brian said with a mock glare. Gus tried not to giggle.

"You…you know what I mean," Ted stammered.

"Who said you could have first dibs on him?" Brian asked, not ready to let Ted off the hook just yet.

"I just … I thought if I jumped in … you know … that it would give Gus something useful to do."

"Whatever Gus is assigned to do will be useful," Brian countered.

"Of course, sure, no problem, hope you have a good day, Gus." Ted started to back out of the office.

"Ted," Brian stopped him.

"Yeah?"

"Take Gus with you. I'm sure he'll be happy to help you with your arithmetic."

"Um … thanks, I think," Ted replied as he gestured for Gus to follow him.

Gus rolled his eyes at his father and followed Ted out of the office.

Some time later Gus reappeared at his father's office door. Brian gestured for him to come in.

"So how did your assignment with Theodore work out?" Brian asked.

"It was fine. He wanted me to double check the numbers he was punching in. It didn't take a genius to do that."

"But it does take someone who is careful and accurate. I hope you were."

Gus nodded his head hoping that he had been very careful with the numbers. After a while they had all started to run together and he had found it hard to concentrate.

"What's next on my agenda?" Gus asked.

"I thought in honor of your first day here you could run down to the donut shop and buy a couple of dozen for the morning break," Brian said busying himself with shuffling papers on his desk.

Gus smirked. "That's what you thought, huh, Dad?"

"Um … yeah."

"Okay, I'll go," Gus said. He knew this was his father's way of treating the staff without making a big deal out of it.

"Here's some money," Brian said handing Gus forty bucks.

"Forty dollars for donuts?"

"You don't have to spend every last red cent."

"Of course."

"But maybe you should get four dozen in case they want seconds."

"Sure, Pop," Gus grinned. "I'll be back in a few minutes."

"You better be," Brian smirked. "Forty bucks won't get you very far these days."

Gus chuckled to himself and hurried out the door.

When Gus returned laden with boxes of donuts, he carried them into the break room and set them out on the table. He started a new pot of coffee and then went to tell his father that he was back.

"Here's the change, Dad," Gus said hauling the money out of the pocket of his slacks.

"Keep it," Brian said.

"But…"

"You're doing good, Sonny Boy. Keep it up."

Gus smiled and stuck the money back in his pocket. He could learn to like working here.

"Let's go try out one of those donuts," Brian said coming around from behind his desk.

"Like you'd actually eat one," Gus scoffed.

"You never know. I might."

"Yeah, I'll believe that when I see it."

They made their way into the break room which was already packed with bodies. News of donuts always traveled fast.

"These are great, Boss," several people commented.

Brian nodded but then felt compelled to say, "You should be thanking Gus. They're in honor of his first day here."

Gus felt himself blushing as people congratulated him and welcomed him and slapped him on the back.

"Daaad," he said with a glare.

"Suck it up, Sonny Boy, and enjoy your moment in the sun."

"Have a donut, Boss, before they're all gone," one of the staff said sticking the rapidly emptying box under Brian's nose.

Brian looked at the box and then at a smirking Gus and then at Chuck who had had the nerve to stick the damn donuts under his face in the first place. He reached inside and grabbed the biggest, fattest, gooiest donut that was left. With a smirk that Gus could never hope to rival, he took a big bite out of the donut and walked out of the room.

Brian headed back to his office trying to calculate the time on treadmill to caloric intake ratio as he took another bite of his donut. Realizing that higher mathematics was not his forte, Brian disposed of temptation before the next bite. He went into his private bathroom, brushed his teeth then washed the stickiness from his face and hands. 'Damn,' Brian thought, 'the sacrifices I have to make for these people.'

Brian sat at his desk contemplating a new campaign Cynthia had proposed. A new gaming software company wanted Kinnetik to come up with media and print ads for their new high tech and interactive games. The company sent six different sample games for the Kinnetik employees to try out. Brian figured that by the end of the week his house would be overrun by teenagers. He'd have a captive audience to test the games. He set the discs aside and began to study the product material and other information the software company sent.

"Brian, there's an Owen Brenner on line one for you," Brian's intercom broke through his reading.

"Thanks," he said into the air then picked up the receiver. "Owen! To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"Um, you suggested I call today," Owen hesitated. He wasn't sure if Brian's invitation regarding lunch was sincere.

"So I did. Are you free for lunch? I'd like to get to know you better," said the spider to the fly. Brian was using his 'seducing young meat' voice. It worked.

"Yes, I am. Is one okay?"

"That'll work. Pappaganos all right with you?" Brian wanted the home court advantage.

"Yes, I love that place."

"Very good, see you then." Brian cut the connection. He sat back in his chair with a smug look on his face. It had been years since he had the opportunity to 'play' someone and Molly's new beau seemed to be a prime target. Brian thought of it as a necessary duty. He had to make sure Owen had the balls to fit into this cwazy family. And if anyone was an expert on balls, it was Brian. His cat and mouse game with Ted was just that, a game. Brian growled, Ted jumped, both men knew their roles. Brian valued Ted and in his own way demonstrated that to Ted on a daily basis. Having learned some dignified behavior over the last few years, Brian suppressed the urge to laugh. Lunch was going to be fun.

His private line ringing brought Brian back down to earth.

"Kinney."

"Taylor."

"Sunshine! How's your day going so far?"

"Don't you 'Sunshine' me, Brian Kinney. What are you planning?"

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Don't you try that bullshit with me. I'm on to you and you know it. Tell me about your lunch date."

"My...my lunch date? I don't do dates."

"Brian," the tone of Justin's voice softened.

"Justin, I just want to play with him for a little while. I promise I'll be real gentle. I'll take good care of him."

"Stop it. You sound like a whiny kid. Worse, you sound like Michael."

"First you yell at me, now you're throwing insults at me. A guy could feel hurt."

"Poor baby."

"How did you know I was having lunch with Owen? I only spoke with him about fifteen minutes ago."

"That's right. You scared the shit out of him and he called Molly, who then proceeded to call me and tore me a new one. Then my mom called."

"Whoops!"

"Yeah, whoops. Brian, you play nice, you hear me. Not one hair out of place, no blood, no tears and no flirting!"

"Damn, you never let me have any fun."

"Brian, if you value your other ball, be nice. Now, there's a young lady who wants to say hi to her dada."

"Dada!"

"Squirt! Have you been good for daddy?"

"Very good! Daddy let me and Patrick paint at our easels."

"He did?!"

"Yup and I paint you a picture. Flowers, Dada, lots and lots of flowers!"

"Thank you, Squirt. I'll see it tonight when I get home. Let me talk to daddy. I love you, sweetheart. Later."

"La'er, Dada."

"Brian?"

"We should be home on time tonight, Sunshine."

"Okay. How's Gus doing?"

"He's having a blast so far. Has Ted charmed already."

"That's good. I love you, you know."

"I know. Later, Sunshine."

"Later...and be nice!"

^^^^^^^^

Precisely at one, Owen Brenner, assistant to the assistant vice president at Brenner Enterprises, Inc., and newly affianced to Miss Molly Taylor, sister to the famous Justin Taylor and sister-in-law to the infamous Brian Kinney...phew...walked into Pappaganos.

"May I help you, sir?" the maitre d' asked.

"Yes, Brian Kinney, please, he's expecting me."

"Of course, sir, please follow me." The maitre d' straightened his shoulders and led the young man to Brian's table. Owen was seated and a wine list placed in his hand. "Mr. Kinney asked me to apologize; he has been detained. I was instructed to make sure you are well looked after."

"Thank you." Owen ordered a glass of wine and tried to relax.

Brian Kinney walked into the restaurant with the air and grace of a great king. 'If they only knew,' Brian thought to himself. Alberto Pappagano greeted Brian, personally.

"Mr. Brian, good to see you again!"

"It's always a pleasure to see you, Alberto. Is the gentleman here?"

"Very punctual and seated at your table as instructed. He's been nursing a glass of wine but I can see he wishes the drink was perhaps a little stronger." Alberto winked at Brian. Over the years Alberto was witness to many Brian Kinney conquests, business and otherwise. Brian was pleased. "Mr. Brian," Alberto became very serious, "you are a good and loyal customer. I don't wish to anger or insult you but I must ask. You and your beautiful young man, everything is okay, yes?"

"Yes, Alberto, you have nothing to worry about. That young man intends to marry Justin's younger sister. I want to make sure..."

Alberto raised his hand before Brian could say anything else. "Say no more, you are an honorable man protecting your family's interests. You must be sure this young man is worthy. I completely understand. Please follow me and allow me to tend to you personally." Alberto shook Brian's hand firmly then took Brian to his table. Owen stood at Brian's arrival. Alberto nodded his approval.

"Owen, forgive me, a last minute phone call, you know how that goes." Brian extended his hand which Owen took.

"Of course. I've been very well looked after."

Alberto beamed then scurried off to bring wine for Brian and the pre-selected meal Brian had arranged.

"I hope you don't mind; I ordered for us. I don't like dealing with menus. I do recall you enjoyed the chicken when you came for the barbecue. I ordered the grilled chicken with vegetables. I hope you approve."

Owen was stunned. He was impressed and somewhat insulted all at the same time. He nodded and remained quiet throughout most of the meal. Over coffee, Owen found his tongue.

"Brian, what is all this? You ask me to lunch, go all out and you've barely said two words. On the phone you sounded like you were trying to seduce me and now you're rather cold. Did I do or say something to insult you?"

"Not at all. You're obviously intelligent. Your manners are impeccable as well as your business reputation."

"What little there is of it."

"You're just starting out but I can tell, you'll do well in your father's company and beyond, if you choose."

"So what changed? Why did you back off?"

"Do you want me to seduce you?"

"No, but I don't understand."

"I was told to be nice so I'm being nice."

"Oh. Um, Brian, I'm not much of a dessert person but I would love to see your office."

"Then follow me back to the office and I'll wow you." Owen smiled, a very handsome smile. Brian shook his head.

"Is smiling a bad thing?"

"No, but you have a very nice smile."

"Do you seduce all of your clients?"

"In a way, yes. I seduce them with my ideas. Get them to see things my way and I have been known to use sexual innuendo to get what I want."

"And I'm sure you got what you set out for."

"Most of the time."

"And those who rejected you?"

"Weren't worth my time. Let's go and I'll let Kinnetik seduce you."

Back at Kinnetik the company was bustling. In the studio, a photographer was shooting a model. In the art department a friendly but heated debate regarding color and font was in progress. And in the conference room Cynthia and a junior ad exec were giving a presentation. Brian caught glimpses of Gus setting up foam core boards. On a main wall there were pictures of the Kinnetik family. Some marked the prominent moments in Kinnetik's history including Scott's rise to partner in the Harrisburg office and Joseph's triumphs at Perspective. Owen got an eyeful.

In Brian's office, Brian offered Owen coffee.

"Brian, my father told me how impressed he was about your set up and I agree. To be so young and so successful, it's truly amazing."

"Not that amazing but I had a lot of help, a lot of help. We're a family, a very diverse family. You gotta have guts to work here."

"I can see that. May I ask something personal and not very pc?"

"Go on."

"Are all of your employees, um, you know?"

"No, I don't know. It's don't ask, don't tell. I don't care if you're gay, straight, bi or purple. As long as you do your job, that's all I need to know. Owen, in our family it's not who you love, it's how you love. It took me a long time to learn that. Let me ask you something. You love Molly, right?"

"With all my heart."

"Then the rest is bullshit. That includes me, Justin and Craig. You and Molly do what's good for you two. Nothing else matters." Owen smiled and nodded. "Now, scram. Some of us don't have a rich daddy and need to get back to work. We're having a Fourth of July party at the cottage; you and Molly are more than welcome to join us."

"Will Emmett be there?"

"I'm sure he will, with flames burning brightly."

"Then we'll be there!" Brian and Owen shook hands then Owen left Kinnetik.

Brian hit number one on his private line.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Sunshine."

"Hey."

"I played nice." Justin's beautiful laugh filled Brian's heart as he cut the connection and went back to work.