- Text Size +

 

Chapter 13

^^^^^^^^

The next couple of days were rather tense at Kinnetik. Everyone knew that it was Trevor that Brian had been talking about in that meeting in the conference room. And Trevor knew that everyone knew it was him. He became very subdued and gradually went around to the people that he thought he might have offended. He apologized to them one by one. Most of them reported to Brian when the apology had been received.

Brian was glad to see that Trevor was trying to make amends. He had yet to hear from Gus that an apology had been received, but he was prepared to wait. He knew it couldn't be easy for Trevor to do this.

Being the head of Kinnetik when this happened, and having it happen to his own son, had set Brian back on his heels. Some part of him felt that he had brought this upon Gus and his company. Somehow his actions in the past had been the cause for what was happening in the present. He hated that realization. And no matter how much Justin told him it wasn't his fault some part of him still thought that it was.

On Thursday morning, Cynthia came into Brian's office and sat down in the chair across the desk from Brian.

"Yes?" Brian said looking at her quizzically. Her arrival, and then taking a seat without an invitation, was highly unusual. Even though she ran the day to day operations at Kinnetik, she always deferred to Brian, including waiting to be asked to have a seat. Brian's warning system immediately went up.

"I just had a visit from Trevor," Cynthia said by way of explanation.

"What did he say?"

"He was very contrite and apologized for what had happened. He seems to genuinely mean to change his ways."

"Did he ask for counseling?"

"No, he wouldn't go that far."

"Did you ask him about it?"

"Yes, and he said he would think about it."

"That's something, I guess."

"Brian, do you think we can afford to keep him on as an intern?"

"I thought that was the idea. If he apologized and changed his ways, then everything would go on as usual."

Cynthia sighed. "But I'm not sure I want him around here. Apparently he was snooping in desks and things. I can't put up with that kind of nonsense, especially coupled with the sexual stuff. I just don't feel comfortable with it."

"What did he say for himself?"

"Just that he was going to try to turn over a new leaf and leave all that behind him."

"What if he did get some counseling?"

"I think I would feel better about having him here if I knew that was happening."

"So, let's give him a week, and see how things shake down. If it doesn't seem to be improving then we consider giving him his pink slip as an intern."

"Okay, I can live with that. I just wish he would get counseling. I kind of liked the kid before all this happened. He never pulled any of that stuff with me."

"That's because you're the boss."

"Yeah," Cynthia smiled. "I am. But I'm glad you're here to help me deal with this. Why is it that interpersonal relationships in the workplace are far harder to deal with than the actual running of the business?"

"It hasn't been the easiest week I've ever had," Brian said with a shake of his head.

"Especially since it involved Gus."

"I was so proud of Gus that he came and told me. Otherwise who knows how long this would have been going on? Trevor really put the welfare of Kinnetik in danger."

"Danger?"

"Something like that is insidious. If it had continued, I could foresee some unhappy workers, maybe somebody quitting, all bad for Kinnetik."

"You're right. I'm glad it got nipped in the bud … thanks to Gus."

"Me too."

"I better get back to work, and thanks again for your help."

Brian watched Cynthia walk out of the office. He was glad he was here when all this happened. But it didn't make it any more palatable. If Trevor didn't shape up in the next few days, he was gone.

Some time later Brian wanted a cup of coffee and he headed for the break room where there was always a pot on the go. That was, if Gus was doing his job and keeping the pots brewing. Brian smiled to himself as he walked down the hallway. It was good having Gus work at Kinnetik. He had to wonder what it would have been like if Jack had ever taken him to work to see what he did for a living. Brian grimaced. There was no way that Jack would ever have done that. Brian had always been a major disappointment to his father, except when it came to money. Gus would never be a disappointment to Brian. He was a good kid, and brave. He and his mothers must have done something right.

Brian was about to step into the break room when he heard Gus' voice. He stopped dead in his tracks and stepped back so that he was out of view from anyone in the room.

"I'm glad you apologized, Trevor," Gus was saying. "I … I was upset by what happened."

"Sorry," Trevor repeated. "I never even thought about how you would feel. I was just messing with you."

"Well, I didn't like it."

"Or maybe you did like it," Trevor had the audacity to say.

Brian was about to step into the room and bodily throw the little twerp out of Kinnetik. Obviously he hadn't learned anything. Gus' voice stopped Brian once again.

"Trevor, I definitely did not like it!" Gus said emphatically. "I … I'm still not sure where I stand … sexually, but I know I don't like people putting their hands on me without permission."

"Yeah, you got a point. I guess I went too far, but you're very attractive, like your father."

"I'll take that as a compliment, but I never want to hear you say anything like that again."

"Okay," Trevor replied. Gus seemed to be getting through to him. "I just thought that since your Dad is gay and I sort of got that vibe from you…"

"Well, you thought wrong."

"It was you that turned me in, wasn't it?"

Brian held his breath wondering how Gus would answer that question.

"Yes," Gus replied, saying it emphatically.

Brian smiled and let out his breath. "Good boy," he whispered to himself.

"I don't put up with people messing with me," Gus added and Brian smiled wider.

"I guess you don't. I underestimated you," Trevor admitted.

"A lot of people do."

"Well, I'm sorry. I really mean it."

"Apology accepted, as long as you promise that it will never happen again … to me or anyone else."

"How can I promise that? I can try."

"You could accept the counseling that was offered. If you don't fix this now, you could be putting your whole career in jeopardy," Gus explained reasonably.

"My career?" Trevor asked taken aback.

"You have no idea how mad my Dad was," Gus continued. "You may have thought he was calm in that meeting, but he was fuming. You're lucky he didn't kill you before he tossed you out on your ear. How would you explain your sudden termination from the best ad agency in Pittsburgh? To say nothing of never being able to use your three years here at Kinnetik as a reference.

"Shit!" Trevor reacted as the seriousness of what he had done finally began to hit home.

"Excuse me, men," Brian said looking at both of them. "I need a coffee." He headed for the coffee machine. "Don't you two have work to do?"

"Yeah, right now," Gus said and quickly left the room.

"And you?" Brian asked glaring at Trevor.

"Mr. Kinney, do you think I could talk to you for a minute … in private?" Trevor asked in a little voice.

"Follow me," Brian said as he carried his coffee back to his office. He sat down behind his desk and indicated the chair in front for Trevor to sit in. "So, what can I do for you?" Brian asked wondering where this was going to go.

"I want to apologize to you and everyone at Kinnetik for my behavior," Trevor began.

"That's good. I'm glad you realize the serious implications of your actions."

"I'm beginning to."

"So, when you made the earlier apologies, you didn't?" Brian asked with a frown.

Trevor turned pale. "Not exactly. Um … Gus just told me that I could be putting my whole future in jeopardy."

"Gus is right."

"I … I had no idea. It was just sort of having some fun with people. I guess it got out of hand," Trevor said his voice shaking slightly.

"I don't think the people you pulled this sexual crap with thought it was very funny," Brian said laying it on the line.

"I know that now. I am really sorry."

"Good, now what are you going to do about it?" Brian demanded.

"What … what can I do? It's over."

Brian shook his head. "I think you know what you need to do, but you have to make that decision yourself."

Trevor stared at the floor for a minute. When he looked up Brian's eyes bore into him. "Counseling," Trevor said.

"Good idea."

"Thanks, Mr. Kinney."

"You're welcome. See Mr. Schmidt and he'll put you in touch with the counseling firm that we use."

"Okay, and thanks for not firing me."

Brian watched Trevor walk out the door. He let out a long breath. He seriously hoped that was the end of this incident.

^^^^^^^^

That evening Justin, Brian, Bree, Gus and JR hosted Michael and Ben for dinner. Since the Kinney-Taylors were having guests for the weekend, Michael was picking up JR and taking her for the weekend. He was looking forward to spending some quality time with his daughter.

"So what have you done here all week, JR?" Michael asked his daughter.

"I helped Justin paint," she replied.

"You did?"

"Yeah," Justin smiled, "she's been great about helping me clean up and get organized." JR beamed at Justin

"I guess she has my artistic talent," Michael laughed.

"She drew a bit, but that doesn't seem to be her forte," Justin replied.

"I make good things with Lego," JR contributed.

"She certainly does," Brian vouched for her. "You'll have to show your dad the skyscraper that you made in the play house.

"Okay," JR smiled.

"JR played with me," Bree said watching the adults.

"She was a big help with Bree," Justin said.

"Sounds like you had a busy week," Michael smiled at his daughter.

"I got to swing too."

"Swing?" Ben asked with a frown.

"John installed a swing for Patrick and I think JR has fallen in love with it," Justin said.

"Can I have a swing?" JR asked her Dad.

"I don't know, sweetie. We don't have a lot of room in the backyard," Michael said.

Ben watched JR's face fall and decided to step in. "I think we should look into a swing for the backyard. If we can find a suitable one, I might even join you on it," Ben laughed.

JR smiled at him. "Thanks, Uncle Ben."

"Would you like to spend more time with us if we had a swing?" Michael asked.

"Sure," JR grinned. She did love to swing.

"Looks like you're building a swing, Mikey," Brian chuckled.

"How's the internship at Kinnetik?" Ben asked Gus.

"Going good now," Gus replied.

"Now?" Ben asked.

"It's a long story," Brian replied. The last thing he wanted to do was get into that mess all over again.

"So, when do your guests arrive?" Michael asked sensing that Brian didn't want to pursue that avenue of conversation.

"Tomorrow. That's why we need some more bed space," Brian replied.

"Thank you for letting me sleep in the brass bed," JR said.

"You're welcome, little lady," Brian smiled.

"You got to sleep out in the sun porch?" Michael asked.

"Yeah," JR grinned. "It was cool."

"Cool, huh?" Michael replied. "You're pretty lucky. Your uncles don't let too many people sleep in that bed."

"Only the special ones," Brian said, and JR gave him her most radiant smile.

^^^^^^^^

It was early Friday morning when Brian decided to go to Kinnetik and put in a few hours. The cottage was quiet, Simon and Ken and their boys were expected around three. Brian could work uninterrupted and still be home in time to help entertain their guests. He was feeling better over the whole Trevor business but he couldn't stop the guilty feelings that kept creeping into his head. Sometimes some good old fashioned work was what he needed to clear the cobwebs. Brian kissed Justin, checked on Bree and gently kissing her sleeping brow. As he passed Gus' room, Gus popped his head out of his door.

"You're dressed too nice for gar-gar, Pop." Brian wasn't in a suit but still his usual fashionable self.

"Just going to the office for a while."

"Dad, you gave everyone the day off."

"I know, but I want to finish up a few things. I won't be gone long."

"Need any help?"

"No, Sonny Boy, you deserve the day off. Besides, Justin may need you to help out with last minute cleaning or something."

"Cleaning? This place is so clean you can eat off the floor."

"Can't be too clean. Speaking of clean," Brian peered into his son's room, "spruce up your room. Ray and Jeff are coming." Gus chuckled. "What's so funny?"

"You sound just like Mom." Brian rolled his eyes then giggled. He kissed his son goodbye, left a note on the fridge for Justin, grabbed his briefcase then went out the front door.

^^^^^^^^

Brian was finishing up his notes on a new campaign that Joseph and Perspective emailed over when he heard a noise coming from the main office. It was about ten in the morning. No one was supposed to be there today.

'I could've sworn I reset the alarm,' Brian mumbled to himself as he searched for a weapon. He picked up a desk lamp and slowly crept to the door.

"Brian!" Ted Schmidt barged in holding two cups of coffee in a takeout cup holder and a bag of bagels with cream cheese.

"Fuck!" Brian jumped, nearly dropping the lamp and bumping into the coffee. "Damn, Ted, you fucking nearly gave me a heart attack. Shit! What the fuck are you doing here? I thought I gave everyone the day off!" Brian set the lamp down on the desk and sat in his chair holding his hand to his chest trying to stop the heaving.

"I could ask you the same." Ted handed a coffee to his friend and boss, then dug an onion bagel out of the bag.

"I figured I could put in a couple of hours while it's quiet." Brian took a sip from his cup. "You?"

"Same, same." Ted was about to take a sip of his coffee when they both heard a noise coming from the outer office.

"Did you set the alarm?" Brian whispered as he got up and lifted the lamp.

"I thought I did," Ted whispered back. He stood up and got behind Brian as they slowly walked toward the door. Brian gave the not so brave Ted a little glare; Teddy just shrugged. As they approached the door, it suddenly swung open.

"Good morning, Gentlemen!" Cynthia announced cheerfully.

"Shit!" Teddy cried.

"Holy fuck!" Brian shouted as he nearly lost the lamp, again. Cynthia burst out laughing at the sight of her brave boss and co-worker ready to defend Kinnetik with a desk lamp.

"Very funny. Ha. Ha. Ha. I should fire your ass for trying to give me a stroke. I should fire both of you. First he tries to give me a heart attack then you. What is it with you people? Don't you like having a day off?" Brian opened a desk drawer and took out a mug. He split his large coffee into two portions to share with Cynthia. Ted handed her the sack of bagels.

"I had a few things to tidy up before Matthew and I took off for the week. You do remember I'm taking off this week, right?"

"Yeah, yeah, about time too. When was the last time you guys had a real vacation?"

"Don't remember." They all got quiet as they sipped their coffee and ate the bagels. "Brian, I'm still concerned about Trevor. I wish I knew for sure that he'll seek counseling."

"He said he was going to."

"Trevor came to me and asked me for the name of the group we use for EAP. I checked my email; he registered with them yesterday. I think he means what he says," Ted explained.

"I certainly hope so," Brian stated. "I'd hate to see a promising career go down the shitter."

"Ew!" Ted squealed.

"Brian Kinney!" Cynthia had that 'you almost crossed the line' tone.

"Out! Get out of my office, better yet, go home! Both of you. The office is officially closed as of now!" Brian got up, quickly downed the rest of his coffee and began to usher his extremely loyal employees and friends out toward the door.

"Go on, shut down your computers; we're outta here in five minutes."

"Yes, oh great master," Ted quipped, snatching up the bagel bag before Brian pushed him out.

"My liege." Cynthia made a curtsey then scurried out.

Twenty minutes later, Kinnetik was locked up and secured. Brian and Ted walked Cynthia to her car and bid her a great vacation. Brian unexpectedly gave his old friend a hug.

"Thank you, Ted, for all your help this week. If it weren't for you, I might have done something very stupid."

"Um, ah...," Teddy sputtered. He wasn't used to getting praise from Brian or Brian being this tactile. "You're welcome, Brian," Ted managed.

"Don't get too used to it, Schmidt. You're pulling double duty next week while Cynthia is gone."

"Yes, of course, anything you say, boss!" Ted smiled, this was the Brian Kinney he knew and loved.

"See you tomorrow, Theodore, and come hungry. I think Auntie Emm plans to outdo himself again." Brian smiled as he headed for his car. Ted laughed as he nodded.

"God, I love that man!" Ted muttered to himself as he got into his own car and drove home to Allen.