- Text Size +

 

Chapter 15

^^^^^^^^

Brian heard the heavy brass knocker pounding away on the front door. Part of him instinctively knew the who and the why and that he really needed to get up to let Emmett in. The other part of him wanted to stay in bed curled around his beautiful spouse. The pounding stopped. Brian smiled, hugging Justin closer.

"Hellooo!" Emmett's voice filtered through the glass walls of the sun porch. His nose was pressed against the glass and he was tapping on it trying to get Brian's attention. Drew was holding boxes and trying not to step on Brian's herb garden.

"Go away, Honeycutt," Brian grumbled as Justin groaned, trying to bury himself deeper into Brian's chest.

"Brian, open the door, pleeezzzz!" Emmett begged. They were planning a huge party and it was going to take all hands on deck to be prepared. Brian groaned and waved Emmett toward the door as he got out of the brass bed.

"Drew, is he naked?" Emmett asked his partner with eyes closed.

"Emm, baby, how would I know? The only thing I see are boxes."

"Thank God for small mercies, or long mercies in Brian's case," Emmett commented.

"Baby, you know you have nothing to be worried about." Emmett was rather well endowed. He still received emails from some of his loyal fans from his Fetch Dixon days.

"And neither do you, honey. You are one hunky hunk of man. But Brian is..."

"I know, he's Brian. I understand, babe. I just hope he opens the door and quick! These boxes are..." Drew didn't get a chance to finish his statement.

Brian had the door open and was grabbing at a box. As he sent a death glare Emmett's way, Brian was already marching back into the house and to the kitchen with the box. Naked, of course. He put the box on the counter then turned to storm out.

"Coffee!" Brian barked as he went into the bathroom to perform some morning rituals. Rather than going into his bedroom and waking Simon and Ken, Brian decided to don his robe that was on a hook in the bathroom. His coffee was just about ready when he strolled back to the kitchen.

Emmett gingerly slid a mug full of Brian's special blend and the sugar to Brian. He quickly pulled his hand back in fear that a pre-caffeinated Brian might bite it off. Brian took a long leisurely sip.

"Drew, how does he get you up and out so early in the morning? And on a holiday, no less?" Brian addressed Drew.

"He has his ways," Drew replied with a wink.

"Enough said," Brian snarked as he held up his hand. "I really don't need to know the details." Feeling better as his caffeine level began to increase, Brian became somewhat civil. "So what's on the menu for today?"

"The usual, and everyone who's coming is bringing at least two different dishes. I have it all organized."

"I have no doubt that you do."

"Would it be all right if you all made breakfast at John and Bobby's this morning? I want to start on the hors d'oeuvres and your oven is just divine."

"I think that can be arranged. Simon and Ken smuggled a whole suitcase full of New York bagels across state lines. This will be a real treat."

"Ooooo! I wish we could go to New York," Emmett gushed. He had only visited New York that one time when they rescued Justin. Emmett had barely got a chance to see anything.

"Baby, you name the day and I'll take you to New York," Drew cooed in Emmett's ear as he pulled the tall man into his strong arms. "Anytime you want."

"Oh, Drewsie!" Emmett gushed as he gave his man a kiss.

"Don't you two get enough of that at home?" Brian good-naturedly groused.

"Never enough," Emmett crowed. Brian poured himself another mug of coffee then went to check on the rest of the house.

^^^^^^^^

"Si, honey, this bed is divine!"

"I know, baby, I could stay here all day but I know I heard someone knocking on the door and I hear voices. We should get up and help."

"If we must," Ken replied in true drama queen fashion. Simon kissed his partner then they were up and into the bathroom in a flash.

^^^^^^^^

"Hey Pop!" Gus heard the house awakening and stuck his head out his bedroom door as Brian was walking passed. "What's happenin'?"

"Nothing much, we're just getting up. Emmett and Drew are here. Ken and Simon are in the bathroom. And I think your sister is about to pounce on Justin." Brian and Gus heard a loud "oof" as Bree pounced on her daddy's belly. They laughed at Justin's shocked yelp and then at the giggles father and daughter were emanating.

"Sounds like business as usual then, eh, Pop?"

"Yep. Why don't you guys get ready and help me move the table in the porch and arrange the garden furniture."

"Sure thing, Dad. But I heard that there are some New York bagels around here. Could we have some first?"

"Sure, Sonny boy, got to stoke the furnace. See you in a while." Brian went into his room to get his clothes.

^^^^^^^^

With introductions made all around and everyone participating, breakfast was made, served and eaten. The porch was now prepared for the hordes of people that would soon descend upon the cottage as well as the gardens. In between his plots of plants and flowers, Brian had designed his paths and clearings. Each clearing was big enough to hold a small picnic table, complete with umbrella and chairs.

Simon was sitting at one such table enjoying an iced tea. Ken was being given the tour of the Wendy house and the path toward the stream. Brian sat at the table with Simon sipping his own glass of iced tea.

"Brian, I am almost envious of this place. This is beautiful; you've created your own oasis in this crazy world of ours."

"I guess it is. We started small. When I made my commitment to Justin I wanted to find us a cottage like John and Bobby had. Their cottage was originally on the same land as his mother's house. John moved the whole thing here a year ago. Jennifer, she's Justin's mother, is a realtor. She found this place which was nothing more than a shell and falling down."

"They practically gave it away, didn't they?"

"Yes, then John did all of this. He rebuilt the cottage, preserving the original style and added the sun porch. It wasn't this wide at first, we eventually widened it when it became obvious that the family was growing and we're equidistant between the Pitts and Harrisburg. Then last year, John literally moved his cottage here. It attaches close to his kitchen."

"It's beautiful."

"Yes, it is." There was an awkward silence as Brian was trying to gather his thoughts.

"Brian, you appear to be a man in turmoil. Is it anything serious?"

"I'm not sure. Meeting you and Ken, seeing your beautiful home, visiting New York, I've been thinking a lot about New York lately."

"Brian, I have to be honest with you. The moment we met you in Florida I had my business partner check you out. Justin's life is an open book, more or less. You, my friend, are an enigma. You're stunning, highly intelligent and an astounding businessman. Why are you hesitating about branching out to New York? I think you'd take the town by storm."

"It's not that simple. My life is here. Everything I hold dear is here." Brian pointed toward the cottage. "I don't want to be away from them. If I do this and do it right, I'd have to be away. Simon, I'm not prepared to make that sacrifice."

"I don't think you'd have to, and New York is a lot closer than California. You have a branch out there."

"Yes, but that was Reilly's agency; we became partners. Perspective is more of a merger. Kinnetik Part Deux in Harrisburg is really the second branch of Kinnetik."

"Then do the same in New York, merge with an existing company or with someone who is trying to break out on their own like you did. You fought hard to keep your accounts from Vangard, right?"

"Yes, I did and I still compete with him today. But in all honesty, it's no competition. I know I have the best people and accounts come to me because we're different. Our ads are different; we don't play it safe. We're younger, edgier, and new companies like that. The established companies that are tired of the old ideas come to me because we can boost their sales, revamp their tired old ads."

"Then maybe that's the tack you should take. Find a young agency who's trying to make it and lend your name. It will give the agency more credence without you having to try to re-establish your name in New York. Start small, take on the small clients that no one wants, or the new companies."

"Like that software company; they're based in New York."

Simon recognized the signs of a man whose mind was on overdrive.


Brian pulled out his cell phone and hit speed dial. "Schmidt! Where the fuck are you? That close? Good, get your scrawny butt out here. It's time, my man, it's time for Kinnetik to take on New York." Brian quickly extended his arm as he heard the loud whoop. "I hope you're not driving, Theodore. I don't want my CFO ending up in a ditch. Okay, see you soon." Brian shut his phone.

"I take it, your CFO is pleased with the idea?" Simon chuckled.

Brian shrugged. "Apparently, Ted has been thinking similar thoughts especially since we were contacted by the software company."

"Does this company have a name?"

"Not yet, they're that new."

"A new ad agency launching a new software company. You'll need a lot of energy to do this but I think you can handle it."

"Yeah, hold that thought." Brian swung his head around searching for Justin. He spied Justin and Bobby preparing the grill. "Justin, come here a minute."

Justin meandered through the garden to where Brian and Simon were sitting. "What is it, Bri?"

Brian quickly filled in Justin on his scheme about New York. Justin reiterated Simon's sentiments. "Wow! I bet some of your younger execs will snap at the chance to go to New York. I can almost feel the excitement and energy."

"Jus-tin," Brian said emphasizing the ending of Justin's name. There was a gleam in Brian's eye and then Justin took on that same gleam.

"Kinnetik N-ergy!" Brian and Justin said out loud and in unison as Justin jumped into Brian's arms, Brian swinging his giggling bundle around. Simon looked a bit bewildered as Brian lowered Justin to his feet.

"Justin has always named my ventures; he even named Gus," Brian began to explain. "Kinnetik N-ergy, will be the name of Kinnetik's New York branch!"

"Yee-haw!" Justin yelled out.

^^^^^^^^

Gradually the family started to arrive. Claire and Steve were the first. Claire always wanted to be early so she could help in the kitchen. Steve was a big help moving furniture or setting up the grills. They were both pleased to meet Brian and Justin's new friends. The boys, Jeff, Ray and Gus, had been banned from video games for the afternoon, so they were actually around and civil and helpful. Everyone marveled that teenagers could actually be likeable.

Ken and Emmett hit it off immediately. They were in the kitchen with Claire doing their thing when Ted arrived. He and Allen were quickly introduced to the new faces and then Brian whisked Ted off to his study to talk about Kinnetik N-ergy.

Meanwhile Emmett was regaling Ken with tales of the Brian and Justin saga. He didn't mention the bashing thinking that was up to Brian and Justin to discuss, but he filled Ken in on some of the more significant and humorous events that had happened to everyone's favorite couple. His favorite had to be their road trip to New York to find Justin.

Ken then told Emmett about how they had met Brian and Justin in Orlando, and how they had all enjoyed each other's company. He ended by saying how nice Brian had been to everyone at Gay Days.

Emmett almost choked as he blurted out, "This is our Brian Kinney that you're talking about?"

"Of course," Ken said looking confused.

"Brian told us a little bit about what happened at Gay Days and how he helped the lesbians. Actually, now that I think about it, it was Justin who told us. I thought it was all just a big exaggeration."

"Why would you think that?" Ken asked.

"Well, um, Brian isn't noted for his kindly gestures, more for his death glares and cutting people off at the knees, or more likely the balls."

"Really? He was a perfect gentleman in Orlando … to everybody."

"Maybe he should go away on vacation more often," Emmett said thoughtfully. "I thought he was going to rip my balls off when I got here this morning."

"Why would he do that?"

"Tell Ken what time you woke him up," Claire said with a knowing nod.

"Well, um, early!"

"Exactly," Claire said with a satisfied smile. "Who likes to be awakened out of a deep sleep? Just how did you wake him up?"

Emmett blushed. "He … um … we … we tapped on the sun porch window."

"Emmett!" Claire said. "You should know better."

"But I wanted to get an early start. There's a lot to do with all the people who attend these soirees now," Emmett tried to defend himself.

"Did he get up and let you in … naked?" Claire asked using the pause for dramatic effect.

"Well, um, yes, he did."

"I think you do this every party so that you can get a look at his dick or Justin's bountiful bottom," Claire laughed.

"Definitely the dick," Emmett laughed feeling his cheeks burn just a little more. "You are a naughty lady, Miss Claire."

"You don't know the half of it," Claire laughed.

"Man, I wish I'd been up when you arrived," Ken laughed. "That must have been some show."

"Next time I'll call you when we're on our way," Emmett promised with a wink.

"I may hold you to that," Ken giggled. "I hear it's legendary."

"It definitely is memorable."

"You go, girl!" Ken cackled with delight quickly joined by Emmett.

"You two certainly are a pair," Claire admonished. "And I won't say what kind of a pair. We better get back to work or the hungry hordes will come after us with an axe."

"They better not or I'll sic Drewsie on them."

"He is one fine looking man," Ken observed. "How did you two meet?"

"I catered his engagement party."

"Who was he engaged to?"

"Sierra."

"That's a funny name for a man."

"He was engaged to a woman," Emmett said with a smile.

"Oh?"

"My Drewsie was a teensy weensy bit in denial about his sexuality back then."

"But you straightened him out," Claire said with a smile.

"Or bent him," Emmett laughed. "Thanks for the 'straight line'," he added making air quotations with his fingers.

"It's my fate in life. Straight woman for all the gay men in my life."

"And we love you for it," Emmett said kissing Claire's cheek.

"Pshaw, you're such a flirt."

"Yes, I am." Emmett beamed his pride at the compliment.

Ken watched the easy repartee and marveled at this little part of Brian and Justin's family.

The next people to enter the kitchen were Michael and Ben. Emmett made the introductions. No one seemed to know where Simon had got to. Michael was rather formal and remote, while Ben asked Ken about his job and their home and the kids.

"What's the matter with you?" Emmett whispered in Michael's ear as the man watched his partner talk to Ken.

"Nothing," Michael said abruptly.

"Yeah right! You look like something just crawled up your ass, and not in a good way."

Michael grabbed Emmett's arm and pulled him over into the living room where they couldn't be so easily heard. "Who the fuck are these people?" he demanded. "It's not like they're part of our family. What are they doing here?"

"Michael, honey, our family is continually expanding. Look at Katerina and Lacy and Hunter's Nick. We take in all the strays," Emmett laughed trying to jolly Michael into a better mood.

"But who are these guys. They're not 'strays' as you so aptly identified the others. They're … I don't know what they are."

"They're friends of Brian's and Justin's. I don't think they're aiming to be part of the family, Michael. They're just here for a few days."

"That better be all," Michael said crossing his arms on his chest and looking like someone had just stolen his bike.

"Auntie Emm," Bree called as she barreled into the kitchen.

"Over here," Emmett called as he stepped back into the kitchen. "What does my darling girl want?"

"Flowers," Bree said extending her hand which was full of blooms from Brian's garden.

"Ooh, those are bee-you-tee-ful," Emmett gushed and Bree giggled. "Let's find something to put them in."

"I hope Brian won't mind," Simon said from the doorway. "I helped Bree pick them."

"Um, maybe you shouldn't tell Brian that," Emmett said slowly as he got a vase out of a cupboard.

"Why? Did I do something wrong?" Simon asked looking alarmed. "They'll grow back."

"Well, Brian is pretty protective…" Emmett began.

"Brian will love that you took Bree into the garden and found these beautiful flowers for decorations," Claire said with a big smile.

Simon visibly relaxed. "Good," Simon breathed. "I thought…"

"Unca Simon," Bree said pulling at the bottom of Simon's shorts. "Come get some more."

"Maybe we shouldn't," Simon hesitated. Bree's face fell.

"You go right ahead, young man. It's Bree's garden too. Brian won't mind at all," Claire said.

Simon smiled. "Thank you, lovely lady." He kissed Claire's cheek.

"Come on, Unca Simon," Bree insisted pulling the man by the hand.

Michael scowled at the scene from the entrance to the kitchen. Who the fuck were these interlopers? And since when did they get the title of 'uncle'?"