- Text Size +

 

Chapter 16

^^^^^^^^

"Dada!" Bree ran back into the sun porch with an armful of flowers, more than a few were plucked out almost to the root. "Flowers for you and Unca Simon!" Briana held the flowers up to her Dada. Michael was standing by the door, witnessing the episode. A part of him was hoping that Mount Kinney would blow and Brian's new friends would leave. A small part of Michael knew how petty and ridiculous he was being but somehow Michael couldn't help himself.

"Squirt," Brian said sternly, "what have I told you about picking flowers?" Briana stopped in her tracks and became very serious. Simon came up behind the little girl.

"Brian, this is all my fault, I should have..." Brian held up his hand and shook his head.

"Squirt..." Briana looked up into her Dada's face and smiled.

"I'm 'apposta' ask a 'growup' for help with the 'snizzor.'"

"That's right, and did you ask Uncle Simon to help?"

"No, Dada, I forget," Bree pouted, sticking out her bottom lip and looking just like her daddy when he would lure Brian in with his own pout. Of course both Bree and her Dada knew the pout would work.

"Let's go to the kitchen," Brian said as he led Briana and Simon to the kitchen. Brian found the first batch of flowers neatly arranged in a large vase. "I see you've been busy, missy." Brian took out a pair of shears, neatly trimmed the new batch of flowers and then put them into the vase with the others. "What do you say?"

"Pretty. Thank you, Dada." Briana wrapped her little arms around one of Brian's legs. She flirtatiously batted her lashes at her dada and then at Simon. "Unca Simon, can you help me with the 'snizzor'?" Simon knew he was being conned but couldn't help being sucked in by Briana's charms.

"Brian, is your daughter flirting with me?"

"Sinful, isn't it? She gets THAT from her father," Brian stately emphatically. Brian and Simon laughed loudly as Brian handed the shears to Simon. "Cut what she wants; she has a good eye for color but try to keep her from getting muddy."

"Sure. I don't know how you do it, Brian. I thought the boys were a handful. I wouldn't have a clue how to handle a little girl."

"Neither did I. Justin's better at it than me. She just gives me those big blue eyes of hers and I'm toast. I meant what I said; she's just like her daddy." Brian's cheeks flushed. Simon chuckled.

"You have it bad, don't you?" Simon took Bree's hand, "Come along, little miss, let's cut us some flowers and make the big table pretty."

"YAY!" Bree squealed, "Wuv you, Dada!"

"Love you too, Squirt." Brian got himself a bottle of water as Simon and Briana walked out of the kitchen.

"She's got you wrapped around her little finger, doesn't she, Brian," Claire commented. She had been cutting up vegetables for Emmett's veggie platter and heard the whole exchange.

"Big time. I think I'm guilty of spoiling her rotten," Brian said almost sadly.

"Brian, honey, the only thing you're guilty of is loving that child and she can never get enough of that. She deserves it and so do you. Now scoot, go play host, or go growl at Ted." Claire winked at Brian.

"I do declare, Miss Claire, you have a bit of the devil in you," Brian drawled with mischief in his voice.

"Comes from hanging out with all of you boys. Now out, before I have to get tough." Claire waved a pair of tongs at Brian and he raced from the kitchen in mock horror, Claire's giggles followed.

^^^^^^^^

"Schmidt!" Brian bellowed across the yard. Ted was helping Debbie put out trays of munchies on each of the tables. Ted left his last tray and sprinted back to Brian.

"What is it, boss?" Ted's eyebrows rose up into his forehead as Brian put his arm around Ted's shoulder.

"Let's talk New York," Brian purred in Ted's ear as he led the startled man to a secluded part of the garden.

"I wonder what that's all about?" Michael grumbled to himself as he saw Brian lead Ted away.

^^^^^^^^

"Hello?"

"Justin?"

"Susan?"

"Yes. I'm sorry to bother you and on a holiday but this has been bothering me since we saw you in St. Augustine."

"What has?"

"You mean besides the way your father behaved down there?"

"Yeah."

"Justin, Brian mentioned you have documents and journals about Patrick Taylor. I'd like to learn about him, even if your father is acting like a, an..."

"Asshole."

"Yes. I'm so sorry, Justin. This is supposed to be a happy time for you and Molly. Owen is such a nice guy and they love each other so much. Did she tell you that she wants a Christmas wedding?"

"Yeah, she did and she wants us there. Briana is supposed to be the flower girl."

"I know; we've been meeting for lunch. Your dad won't have anything to do with it. I wish I could change his mind."

"We have over a year, Susan, anything can happen."

"I hope so. Justin, no matter what he's done, how he's acted, I do love him."

"I know. I do too. Susan, I don't want to be rude but I have a house full of guests."

"I understand; I have to go too. We're supposed to spend the afternoon with your grandparents."

"Send them my regards; that is, if they want them."

"Justin, not all of us are homophobic."

"Yeah, sure. Bye."

"Bye."


^^^^^^^^

"What's up, Mikey?" Brian asked as he walked up to his friend.

"You decided to speak to me, did you?" Michael sulked. He had been sitting in a lawn chair watching Simon play "Toss the Ball" with Bree. It mostly consisted of Simon lobbing the nerf ball in Bree's direction and the little girl running after it. Each toss of the ball had irritated the hell out of him.

Brian knew that look and sighed. "You could go play with them too."

"Play with who?" Michael asked belligerently.

"You've been staring at Bree and Simon for ages."

"Who the fuck is this guy, and when did he become Uncle Simon?"

"Bree just started calling him that."

"Yeah, right," Michael said petulantly crossing his arms on his chest.

"Where's JR?" Brian asked wondering if Michael's daughter might cheer him up.

"She's over on Patrick's swing. She thought Ben would be able to make her go higher."

Brian tried to stifle the chuckle. Michael glared at him. "Oh, for fuck's sake, Michael! Just because the kids want to do something with someone else doesn't mean they don't love you."

"And what the fuck would you know about love," Michael said before he could stop himself. He immediately regretted the words.

"Maybe more than you think, Mikey," Brian said trying not to explode with anger. "It's time you dragged yourself kicking and screaming out of the past and got your fucking head out of your fucking ass. At least one of us has grown up." With that Brian strode away and began opening and slamming the lids on the barbecues.

Michael felt a hand on his shoulder. He wanted to cry out of frustration and anger, and because he had once again hurt his best friend, if he could even call Brian that anymore. He looked up to see Simon staring down at him.

"I hope I'm not intruding but Briana wanted to ask you something," Simon said gently.

Michael glanced down to see Bree standing in front of him.

"Hug, Unca Mikey," Bree said holding up her hands for him to pick her up.

"Sure, sweetheart," Michael said as he felt a smile turn up the corners of his mouth. This little doll could always cheer him up. He picked her up and hugged her tight.

"Play with me?" she asked batting her baby blues.

Michael looked up at Simon. "Do you mind?"

"Not at all. She wore me out," Simon laughed. "I'm Simon, by the way."

"Michael, and it's nice to formally meet you." Michael felt all his anger and jealousy fall away. After he played with Bree he would have to try to make things right with Brian.

Meanwhile, watching all this transpire, Bobby was standing with Ken who had finished his duties in the kitchen for now.

"So that's Brian's best friend," Ken said staring at the dark haired man now playing ball with Briana. "He's not at all what I would have expected."

Bobby laughed. "Michael's an acquired taste, and sometimes not one that you can acquire."

"You don't like him?"

"It's not that. I don't know him very well. But I do know, he can't seem to let Brian grow up, at least not in his mind. He still sees Brian as the stud of Liberty Avenue, and that's how he expects Brian to act."

"But Brian has grown way beyond that," Ken observed.

"You know about Brian's reputation?"

"A little bit of it came up in conversation in Orlando."

"Well, that Brian is long gone."

"And he has people like you and his brother who realize that," Ken said as they watched John move over to Brian and stop him from demolishing the barbecues. They were now talking quietly with Brian shaking his head a lot. "They look so much alike."

"Everybody says that."

"And Claire is his mother?"

"Yeah."

"She's great. We were working together in the kitchen."

"She is great. Brian should have been so lucky."

"Why?"

"You'll probably meet Joan this afternoon, but she and Brian have been barely civil for years. It's only recently that they've started to reconcile. Joan, and Jack too, really did a number on Brian over the years."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Ken said wondering what Joan Kinney would be like. "Oh, look, there's your son playing with Michael and Bree."

"Yeah, he's a great little guy," Bobby said proudly. "Smart as a whip."

"Just like his Dad," Ken observed.

"Yes, his Dad's very smart," Bobby said with a grin playing on his face.

"But aren't you…?"

Bobby shook his head. "Everybody takes one look at that red hair and assumes that I'm the biological father. But I'm not; it's John."

"Really?"

"My sister, Rachel, over there," Bobby said pointing out Rachel and George, "acted as a surrogate."

"Wow!"

"Yeah, wow. And now she and George are about to move in just down the lane."

"Wow again. You people do have an interesting group dynamic," Ken said.

"Big time!" Bobby laughed.

^^^^^^^^

"Hi, sweetheart!" Jennifer had walked into the yard. Molly and Owen had driven her to the cottage along with Joan. Jennifer had called her earlier in the day and suggested it. Joan had decided that maybe it would be a good idea to get to know Jennifer. After all, it was her son, Justin, who had 'married' Brian. In getting to know Jennifer and Molly, maybe Joan could gain some insight into Brian.

"Mom! Hey, Mollusk, Owen. Hi, Mrs. Kinney." Molly and Owen hugged Justin.

"Nice to see you again, Justin," Joan replied warmly. "Oh my, it looks like the family is growing." Joan commented as she looked around the yard.

"I think you're right. Bobby's sister and her family are here and some friends we met in Florida. They live in New York and will be staying with us for a few days. They have two boys, Gus' age. I'll introduce you all later. Please make yourselves at home. I'll let Brian know you're here." Justin smiled broadly and ushered the group into the main yard where Debbie and Emmett were playing host. Brian was still fussing with the grills, Justin walked over to him.

"Hey."

"Hey."

"What is it, Brian? You look like you lost your best friend and you're taking it out on the grill."

"Yeah, John said the same thing."

"What happened?"

"Mikey happened."

"What's his problem now?" Justin rolled his eyes.

"He's got his boxers all in a bunch because Bree likes Simon and Ken."

"What's not to like? They're friendly, level headed and fun to be with. Briana recognizes that."

"I know; the whole family has except for Michael. I think he's jealous that we've made friends on our own. And he has no right to. We didn't get bent out of shape when he got chummy with Biff and Boff."

"Biff and Boff?" Justin giggled.

"Those suburban fags next door to him."

"Oh, that Biff and Boff. Does he think we need his permission to have friends?"

"Maybe. Maybe he thinks I don't love him anymore."

"You'll always love Michael, always have, always will. And Brian, you don't need anyone's permission to make friends."

"Just yours?" Brian snarked with his tongue in his cheek.

"Maybe," Justin laughed. He could tell that Brian was feeling better and the grill was out of danger. Justin put his arms around Brian. "Bri, go and mingle. Joan is here with my Mom. I'll beat on the grill for a while."

"Asshole," Brian grumbled.

"Takes one to know one," Justin retorted and then they both cracked up into giggles. Crisis averted, Brian kissed Justin and went to find Joan. Ken and Bobby walked over to Justin.

"Is it your turn to beat the grill into submission?" Bobby asked Justin with a smirk.

"Yup, and one of these days the grill may fight back. You saw Brian?"

"We did. I think he was a little upset but John seemed to have calmed him down," Ken observed. "Is he okay now?"

"Yeah, he's fine. I sent him to his mother. Michael has a way of getting to him."

"Why is that?" Ken asked. Bobby had always wondered about that too.

"It's a very long story but basically it boils down to one simple fact. Brian and Michael met when they were teens, Michael has always had a crush on Brian and thought when they grew up, it would be Brian and Michael. Brian does love Michael, very deeply, but as a friend. He's never considered any other kind of relationship. Brian considers Michael his brother, just as he considers Debbie his mother. Everyone knows it. We all know that Michael loves Ben but he's always been in love with Brian."

"That must be hard on you," Ken remarked.

"It was, especially when I first met Brian. I couldn't compete and it took me a long time to understand why Brian could say out loud that he loved Michael and never say it to me. Even when it was obvious how he felt about me. He could say the words to Debbie, Gus and Lindsay but never me."

"Oh Justin, I'm so sorry. I never knew," Bobby said sadly.

"Don't feel bad about it, Bobby. It took a while but I finally understood. Our kind of love, Brian's and mine, was different. It took him by surprise; he didn't think he deserved it. But I wore him down," Justin stated with a twinkle in his eye. "I finally got it into that thick stubborn skull of his that he deserved to be loved and I was just the man who could do it." Justin smiled radiantly.

"Well, thank God for that! And thank God that his brother wasn't so stubborn." Bobby laughed. So did Ken and Justin.

"No, John was just scared out of his wits!" Justin commented.

"Why?" Ken asked. "You two look perfect together."

"John was a late bloomer. He didn't know he was gay until he was almost forty," Bobby explained. "If it wasn't for Brian and Justin, my John would have never strayed over to the dark side." All three men laughed wholeheartedly then went to the kitchen to get the meat that was marinating in the refrigerator. Justin and Bobby began to fill in Ken on Justin's Sunshine Files and how they all met.

^^^^^^^^

"Mother!" Brian went over to where Joan and Jennifer were sitting to greet his mother and mother-in-law. "I'm glad you came." Brian gave Joan a kiss. "Mother Taylor, thank you for bringing her." Brian winked at Jennifer.

"I'm happy to be here," Joan said fondly, and she really meant it. She was beginning to truly feel a part of the family. "Jennifer so very nicely offered to drive me. It gave us time to get to know each other better."

"Not revealing any of my secrets, are you, Mother Taylor?" Brian narrowed his eyes on the woman.

"I would never do that, sweetheart. Just two of us mothers bragging about our sons," Jennifer snarked.

"Hmm. I think I'll go get you two something cold to drink. Maybe something for me too. I have a funny feeling I'm going to need it." Brian walked away shaking his head to their laughter. "When did they get to be friends?" he was heard mumbling. Joan and Jennifer laughed louder.