- Text Size +

 

Chapter 18

^^^^^^^^

Over the next few days, Brian and Justin were the consummate hosts. On Sunday, the household arose late. Even Bree and Patrick decided to give their dads a break from their usual early morning pounce. Brian made his legendary breakfast. Coffee pots from both cottages were in full perk. The tea kettles never ran dry. It was going to be a welcomed lazy day.

On Monday, Brian and Gus had to go back to reality and back to work. With Cynthia gone for the week Brian didn't want to leave his precious first business without a captain at the helm. With Bree safely at 'school' and Patrick staying home with John who was working out the logistics with Gordon regarding moving Rachel's house, Justin was free to play tour guide. Ken insisted on making Sidney Bloom's gallery the first stop on their tour.

"Is this your work?" Ken asked as he pointed to one of Justin's large canvases. It was a wash of strong vibrant colors, strangely compelling and unsettling at the same time. It was done during one of Justin's unsure moments when he thought Brian was taking him for granted. Justin wasn't going to show it but Brian had insisted. Brian had convinced him that Justin's art had always reflected what was in Justin's heart and there was no reason not to put it on display.

"Yes, I was in a bad mood that day."

"Obviously, but it also gives a feeling of hope."

Justin was astonished that Ken could pick that up. The painting had been cathartic. And after Brian had seen it and knew where the inspiration had come from, Brian had whisked his partner from the sun porch and into the shower then their bedroom. Brian painted Justin with all the love his body could muster to take away Justin's hurt.

They continued the tour with Kinney and Patrick's work.

"Many of the pieces have been auctioned off; the proceeds went to The Farm. It's a working farm next to Claire's home in Bridgeton. Every summer they take in troubled kids. Often by the end of the summer the kids have turned their lives around."

"A worthy cause," Simon said quietly and silently counted his blessings that his boys, so far were good boys. Justin smiled. "How did Brian figure in all of this?" Simon was still very curious about his possible new tenant.

"It's a rather complicated and convoluted story but to put it simply, Brian supported me. Emotionally as well as financially. He allowed me to research his family which led to the discovery of JABKinney and Patrick. And when Joan threatened to sue us and take all the proceeds of the auction, it was Brian who figured out where Kinney hid his will which was unbreakable. The Kinney lands and whatever was found on it, including a dozen of his paintings could only go to the male line. Joan had no right to them."

"Then it all went to John," Ken said.

"No, it's true that John is Jack's first son but it had to go to a legitimate son and that meant Brian. But he had already signed the deed to Claire. We thought it was all lost since Claire didn't marry Jack but Claire had put John on the deed so everything was safe. Like I said, it was all very complicated but it worked out in the end. The wording in Kinney's will was so fancy but Brian had the right to give the land to any Kinney he saw fit, so John was okay."

"Wow, that does sound complicated. And now everything's okay between Joan and Brian?"

"It took them so many years to come to an understanding and having Bree helped. Joan wanted to be a part of Bree's life."

"Even though she's technically not related to Bree?" Ken asked.

"Yes, Joan took one look at Briana and succumbed to her charms," Justin said with a laugh. Ken and Simon chuckled.

"Who wouldn't, she's a charmer, your daughter," Simon laughed.

"She gets that from Brian," Justin snarked with mirth. "Come on, I'll take you over to Kinnetik and give you the fifty cent tour. Let's see if I can convince the big guy to take us to lunch at the diner. If we're lucky Debbie and Lacy will be there."

Ken and Simon exchanged looks.

"I know, forewarned is forearmed!"

^^^^^^^^

"Hey, big guy!" Justin burst into Brian's office like he owned the place and aside from Cynthia, he was the only other human on the planet who could get away with it. "I think I've bored the hell out of these guys at the gallery and we're hungry." The rumble of Justin's stomach confirmed the last part of his statement.

"Sunshine, I think it's you that's hungry but if you're hinting about going to lunch, I could eat." Brian winked at his spouse. "Schmidt!" Brian bellowed and within seconds Ted was in the office. "We're going to the diner; you're in charge." Ted's eyes grew wide for effect.

"Sure thing, boss. Whatever you say, boss. Have a nice lunch, boss." Then Ted scurried out. Simon gazed at Brian with a mixture of awe and disbelief.

"Does he always do your bidding and so quickly?"

"Yes, but he knows I rely on him heavily. He works miracles with the numbers. Without him and Cynthia I really couldn't do what I do." Justin stood gaping at Brian's admission. "But we won't tell Schmidt that, will we?"

"Your secret's safe with us," Ken stated. "So do we get a tour of Liberty Avenue and this legendary diner?"

"You think you guys are up for it? The fags will be on you like white on rice. It's been a while since new meat has been on Liberty," Brian teased.

Simon put a protective arm around his partner." We live in New York City; we can handle anything you've got," Simon said confidently.

"Then let's go." As they left Brian's office, Brian caught Gus' eye and waved him to join them. Gus let Ted know and then they were off to the diner.

^^^^^^^^

"Sunshine!" Debbie shrieked above the din of the diner. "And with the masters Kinney. And I see you brought the New York homos with you. Go grab a booth." The group found one of the larger booths in the back open and all took a seat.

"Deb, what's going on?" Justin couldn't help but notice that Debbie had an armful of plates and so did Lacy. The diner was packed with very hungry and impatient fags.

"The busboy called in and we're swamped." Lacy and Debbie we're trying to attend to their customers as the cook kept ringing the bell. "Keep your fucking shirt on before I shove that bell where the sun don't shine! Justin, honey, you know where everything is; can you get drinks and water for your table?"

"Sure Deb," Justin answered. It was the least he could do. He remembered how busy the diner could get and how rowdy the customers.

"Justin," Brian began.

"Don't, Bri. I don't mind and she's not getting any younger," Justin whispered. Brian nodded, Debbie was getting older but you'd never know it from how fast she was moving. Brian took out his cell.

As Justin brought over soda, coffee and the menus, Debbie managed to put a wet lipsticky kiss on his cheek.

"What did she mean that Justin knows where everything is?" Simon was curious about Justin as well as Brian.

"When Justin was a kid, his father threw him out when he found out Justin was gay and had no intention of following in Craig's footsteps. Debbie gave him a place to stay and a job here. Debbie has been a surrogate mom to a lot of us, including me, Justin, Hunter and Lacy. I don't know what we would have done without her."

Ken and Simon had a newfound respect for the short, brash, red-headed woman. The bell tinkling over the door signaled a new arrival. Hunter came in, acknowledged the group then went behind the counter to grab a bus box. Hunter began bussing tables as Justin grabbed an order pad and pencil. Brian beamed; he looked so much like that seventeen year old kid who braved the diner so many years ago.

"Sweetheart!" Debbie bussed Hunter with a kiss. "Thank you so much."

"No, problem, Deb." In a few minutes the tables were cleaned and the diner noise had lowered to a more acceptable roar. Justin had taken their orders and then sat down. Hunter joined them.

"Hey, blondie, slumming at the diner? The big guy not giving you enough of an allowance?" Hunter couldn't help fall into old habits. "Brian, when are you going to wise up and dump this guy? You know I'm always available." Hunter waggled his eyes at Brian. Brian rolled his and waited until Justin said his piece.

"Hunter, when are you going to get it in your thick, dumb head that Brian will never have any better than me?" Justin said smugly. The men faced off for a brief moment then laughed and hugged like the friends they were.

Ken and Simon gaped at the exchange.

"Old argument," Brian explained.

The bell chimed again. Mikey and Ben followed by Ted and Emmett came in. They took an adjoining booth.

"Hey! The gang's all here!" Debbie exclaimed with hugs and kisses for all. It was like old times with Brian Kinney the reigning king. Ken and Simon couldn't help notice that many of the patrons would catch Brian's eye in hopes of a smile or a nod.

"Does that happen often?" Simon leaned over to Justin. "Does Brian know everyone here?"

"You get used to it," Justin sighed. "Brian's been out of the game for years but he still has a certain reputation. And Liberty Avenue has a tendency to have a long memory. Besides he owns Babylon so they all want to keep on Brian's good side."

"Isn't that the club Brian mentioned after the barbecue?"

"Only the hottest gay club in the Pitts, we can go this Friday if you'd like."

"Sounds good to me!" Ken added. While Simon usually shied away from the clubs, Ken had fond memories of them. It was at a club where they had met and fell in love.

Debbie had an armful of their order and started to distribute them on the table. Lacy had more plates and was helping. Gus and Lacy smiled warmly at each other.

"Bacon cheeseburgers for growing boys," Debbie announced as the burgers with the works were placed in front of Gus, Jeff and Ray. "Tuna salads for Simon and Ken. Grilled cheese with the works for my Sunshine. And a grilled chicken caesar salad for Hunter. Oh and a..."

"Turkey on whole wheat hold the mayo!" The entire diner yelled out as Debbie placed the almost bare plate in front of Brian. As Brian blushed the diner roared with laughter. Liberty Avenue loved their king.

After lunch the group dispersed. Ted and Gus went back to Kinnetik. Michael and Ben took Jeff and Ray to the comic book store. Emmett went back to his kitchen. Brian, Justin and Hunter decided to show Ken and Simon the clinic, theater and bowling alley.

"This is incredible!" Simon looked over the bathhouse exterior. As a realtor, Simon had an appreciation for the buildings. "And it's still a bathhouse?" Brian nodded as Hunter took over the story.

"Brian had John renovate the whole building when we developed the clinic. It's the last bathhouse in the area, well the last good one. It's rather posh inside. John modernized the fixtures and plumbing as he restored it. The clinic's around back."

Hunter took them to the clinic's entrance and then introduced them to Karen.

"But isn't it a bit hypocritical having a clinic in a bathhouse?" Simon posed the question.

"Maybe, but it's a part of our culture and who says it has to be a bad part. We push safe sex, make sure the place stays clean and we have strict rules regarding the patrons. The kids that come through the clinic are street kids. We offer them counseling, have them tested and try to set them up with a GED program and jobs. We've been lucky; we haven't lost a kid yet." Hunter was so proud of what they had accomplished so far. "Many of the kids work next door."

"Next door?"

"At the theater and bowling alley. Come with me, I'll show you." Hunter took them to the bowling alley first. At the movie theater there was a movie playing and Hunter wanted Ken and Simon to see John's pride and joy in full light.

"Oh my, it's like stepping back in time!" Ken exclaimed at the fifties style bowling alley. Brian sported an ear to ear grin. The men enjoyed looking around and the bowling alley was brimming with all sorts having fun. "Pinball machines! You even have pinball machines. Where did you find them?"

"John found them hidden in the basement; we had them restored. The kids get a kick out of them as well as the parents. We also have computerized machines too." Hunter smiled at some of his former 'lost boys' who were manning the snack counter.

"Some of your kids?"

"Yes, it was Brian's idea. It wasn't enough to get the kids off the street. They need something to do. We offered them jobs to get them on the right track. Our first boy has recently entered into college." Ken and Simon could tell how proud Hunter was of their venture. "Let's go to the theater, I think the movie just let out.

The group walked back to the theater. The manager greeted them all and took over the tour. He saved the last part for Brian.

"I want to show you something. My brother and his group, including Justin worked a miracle in here." Brian threw open the inner theater doors. He crossed over to the light switch and slowly the light began to glow from the great crystal chandelier. Ken and Simon let out a loud gasp.

"Oh my God! It's magnificent!" Ken exclaimed. Brian, Justin and Hunter nodded, even after several years the chandelier never ceased to amaze them.

"It was here all that time, dirty and dusty with banners hiding it. It was almost entirely intact when John and Gordon found it. They had it fully restored. It's beautiful, isn't it?" Justin spoke with awe and admiration.

"The murals, do I detect your influence?" Ken indicated the restored murals that lined the upper portion of the walls.

"Yes, but we had many art students and professors from PIFA helping. If you look carefully they're all signed by the artist who completed each section. We had a lot of help with this project. And the Rage premiere opened the theater. Brian made that happen too."

"Enough, Sunshine, I have to go earn my keep. I'll see you all at home." Brian gave Justin a kiss, shook Ken and Simon's hand then bussed Hunter's temple. Brian Kinney left the theater.

"He doesn't like the accolades, does he?" Simon observed.

"No, he doesn't but this was literally his dream; he made it happen," Justin confirmed and Hunter nodded.

"Jus, I have to get back. Just let the manager know when you're leaving." Hunter bid everyone farewell and went back to the clinic.

As they left the theater Simon commented about Hunter. "He's an interesting young man. I imagine he has a story too."

"Yes, he does. Basically, when we met him he was a hustler. Michael and Ben got him off the streets and adopted him."

"Did Brian have any influence over him? He appears to be rather fond of Brian."

"That's an understatement. I had to practically beat him with a stick to get him away from Brian." Justin laughed at the memories. "But he's been in a relationship for a long time now. His partner is a doctor and helps out at the clinic too. Let's just say that Brian did help direct Hunter on the path toward his career choice. He's a Social Worker and Brian has been his staunchest supporter."

"I have to say, Justin, you and Brian appear to have interesting lives," Ken said dryly.

"Ya think?" Justin replied and they all laughed.