- Text Size +

 

Chapter 2

^^^^^^^^

"Molly, come on in," Justin said as he opened the door to the cottage. "Katerina, it's good to see you again." He hugged his distant relative from Panama. "Hi, Owen, I haven't seen you for a while."

Owen stepped forward and shook Justin's hand. "Nice to see you again, Justin."

"Come on in. Bree's still down for her nap. She should be up soon. Can I get you some coffee?"

"That would be nice," Molly said taking Owen's hand.

Justin watched his sister lead the young man into the kitchen. He followed retrieving some mugs and the coffee pot. They sat down at the kitchen table where Justin had set a plate of cookies. Justin poured them coffee and passed the cookies around. He noticed that Molly and Owen were exchanging some furtive looks. He wondered why his sister had called to say that she and Owen and Katerina wanted to visit the cottage. Now he was more curious than ever.

"So, how's the job at the old folks home going, Katerina?" Justin asked.

"Very well, thank you. I like many of the elderly people there. But, there are a few who are, how you say, nasty."

"Nasty?" Justin asked with a smile.

"Nasty. Nothing I do for them is ever right or ever enough," Katerina declared.

"Well, it's only for the rest of the summer. Then you'll be off to nursing school. Is that all organized?"

"Oh yes, I've been accepted and I'm waiting to receive my program any day now," Katerina said proudly.

"That's great," Justin said with a big smile.

"I … I couldn't have done it without your help, Justin. The money you loaned me has made such a difference. I will pay you back when I am a full flighted nurse."

"That's full fledged nurse, Katerina," Molly laughed.

"Oh, sorry. There are still some words that I don't understand or use correctly. I hope it won't be a problem in nursing school."

"I'm sure you'll do just fine," Molly said reaching for a cookie and flashing the ring on her left hand.

"And just what is that, Miss Thing?" Justin asked with a big smile.

"I thought it was time I tried out wedded bliss. You and Brian have had the monopoly on that for long enough," Molly laughed.

"Don't tell Brian that. He likes to pretend that marriage is just something we did a long time ago on a whim," Justin grinned.

"He does not. After that second honeymoon you just had, how can you say that?" Molly asked horrified.

"We all have our delusions," Justin laughed. "But seriously, congratulations, you two. I'm happy for both of you."

"Thanks, Justin," Owen said shaking hands with his future brother-in-law.

"I'll be watching to make sure that you take good care of my little sister," Justin told him.

"I intend to," Owen said solemnly as he kissed Molly's cheek.

"Um … Justin," Molly said hesitantly.

Bree took that moment to run into the kitchen and try to climb onto Molly's lap.

"Hey, Bree," Molly said picking up the little girl and kissing her cheek. "Did you have a good sleep?"

Bree nodded. "Thirsty, Daddy."

"Yes, Bree, I'll get you some juice." Justin got up and went to the fridge to pour some apple juice into Bree's sippy cup.

"Glass," Bree said in a most definite tone of voice.

Justin sighed and set down the sippy cup. "You have to let Molly help you," Justin admonished.

"Or I could do that," Katerina said. "Then you and Justin can talk," she whispered to Molly. "Bree, do you remember me?"

Bree nodded. "Katwina," she said.

"Close," Molly laughed and kissed Bree's cheek. "Can you say Ka-ter-in-a?" she said slowly.

"Katerina," Bree managed to get out.

"Very good," Katerina said as Justin handed her a little glass of juice. "Would you show me your dollies, Bree?"

Bree smiled and slid off Molly's lap. She reached her hand up to take Katerina's and the two of them walked out of the room towards Bree's bedroom.

"So what's going on?" Justin asked as he took a bite of cookie.

"I … we … um…" Molly began.

"Molly would like you to attend our wedding," Owen supplied.

"Of course I will, but you could have sent me an invitation like everyone else," Justin said.

"Um… there might be a problem with that," Molly said with a sigh.

"Dad!"

"Yeah, Dad."

"He won't come if I'm there, especially if Brian and I are there."

"Exactly."

"So you want me to stay away and you're having trouble telling me that," Justin said sadly. He wanted to be part of Molly's wedding, but he wouldn't cause problems on her big day. "I don't mind … really. It'll be fine."

"Justin, I…"

"Don't worry, Molly, I understand the situation, and I won't come. Brian and I don't mind."

"Well, I do," Molly declared.

"What?"

"If you'd shut up for a minute, I could explain."

"Sorry, what do you want to explain?"

"I think you may be right that Dad will say you can't come to the wedding, but I don't care what the fuck he says. We're paying for most of it, and this is my wedding. I'm going to do it my way," Molly declared.

"And what does your way entail?" Justin asked with a frown.

"If Dad says you can't be there, then I'm telling him that he can't be there."

"Molly, you don't want to do that," Justin said shaking his head. "You want Dad to walk you down the aisle, don't you?"

"Of course I do, but I also want my only brother and his husband to be part of it too."

"You always did want your cake and eat it too," Justin laughed grimly.

"If Dad pulls the shit we both think he's likely to, then I want you to give me away, and Dad can go screw himself," Molly said emphatically.

"Molly, you don't mean that," Justin said gently.

"Yes, I do. I've seen the way he's treated you and Brian. I hear what he says about you being dead to him. I don't want to start my married life by feeding into his prejudice. I want you there, and if he chooses not to be there as a result, then that's his loss."

Justin felt a little grin creep across his face. "Have I told you lately how much I love you, little sister?" Justin asked.

He stood up and he and Molly found themselves wrapped in each other's arms. "I've tried, Justin," she said with tears in her eyes. "I've tried to get him to be more tolerant, but he…"

"It's okay," Justin whispered. "I know what he's like."

"You know better than anybody else," Molly told him.

"Are you okay with this if it turns out this way?" Justin asked Owen. He knew Owen's family held some social prominence in Pittsburgh and there would likely be press coverage and criticism from some of the better families, although Justin wasn't sure what it was that they were better than.

Owen looked at the brother and sister holding each other and supporting each other. "Molly and I have discussed this. I'm one hundred percent behind her decision."

Justin smiled at Owen over Molly's shoulder. "Then I'd be happy to walk you down the aisle, Mollusk," Justin said gently.

"Thank you," Molly said as she kissed Justin's cheek.

Bree chose that moment to walk back into the kitchen carrying one of her dolls. She looked at her daddy and Aunt Molly and held up her doll. "Muñequita," she said clear as could be.

"What?" Justin asked releasing Molly and looking down at Bree.

"Muñequita," Bree repeated. "My dolly."

"Where did you learn that?" Justin asked scooping her up into his arms where she giggled happily.

"I thought I'd teach her a little Spanish," Katerina laughed from the doorway.

"Well, you are my muñequita," Justin said kissing her cheek.

"She's everybody's muñequita," Owen laughed.

"And I hope she'll be my flower girl," Molly said with a big smile.

^^^^^^^^


"We're here," Brian told Gus as they got out of the cab in front of a stately brownstone in the Chelsea section of Manhattan.

"Where's here?" Gus asked as he followed his dad closely. Gus was excited being in New York but a little apprehensive too. New York City was certainly not the Pitts.

"Simon and Ken's home. I told you about them. They wanted to meet you. They also have two boys just about your age. I thought you might like meeting them too." Gus nodded but he wasn't sure about meeting these guys. It almost felt like school, meeting new people. Sometimes it was hard having two moms. Brian must have read Gus' face. He stopped just before he pressed the buzzer at the door and turned to face his son. "Gus, we're here for only four days. Justin and I met Simon and Ken in Florida. They've been together for twenty years and have two boys. They're really very nice people. Simon's kind of like Ben. You like Ben." Gus smiled. He always liked gentle Ben. "And Ken is a bit like Emmett but not so out there." Gus' smile grew wider; he really liked his Auntie Emm. "Their son's names are Jeffrey and Raymond. Jeffrey is fifteen and he's straight. Raymond is sixteen and he just came out to his dads."

"He did?" Gus' eyes grew wide. Gus was still so unsure of himself. Again Brian could read his son.

"Gus, there is no law in the world that says you have to choose one way or the other. And you do not have a deadline. Look at Uncle John; he didn't realize his true self until he was almost forty." Gus' eyes nearly bugged out. Forty was ancient to a teenager. Brian chuckled and rolled his eyes. "Come on, Sonny Boy," Brian pressed the buzzer.

"Yes," Simon answered.

"Simon, it's Brian Kinney and son."

"Well come on in, Brian Kinney and son!" Simon's voice floated through the intercom as another buzzer sounded and the door lock clicked open. They followed the procedure again at the inner door which opened onto a small lobby. Brian noted that the two apartments on the first floor were actually businesses, one of which belonged to Simon.

"Up here!" This time it was Ken who shouted down. "Fourth floor! Just follow your nose, Simon's been baking all morning."

"Baking?" Gus mumbled.

Brian shrugged as they started up the stairs. They followed the heavenly scent up to the fourth floor, split level home of Simon and Ken and family.

"Welcome to New York!" Ken gushed as he gave Brian a hug and a kiss. Simon wiped his hands on his apron then gave Brian a kiss.

"Simon, Ken, this is Gus."

"Hi," Gus said meekly as he held out his hand for a handshake. "It's nice to meet you. You have a cool home!"

Brian agreed. "This much prime real estate must cost a fortune!" Brian quelled his twinge of jealousy. Maybe some day Kinnetik would take on New York. Not yet but soon.

"It helps that we own the building. We bought it as a fixer-upper and rent out the second and third floors. My office is on the first floor and I temporarily rent out the other office," Simon explained.

"Temporarily?" The wheels started turning in Brian's head.

"Yes," Simon could see the wheels turning. "We can talk later." Brian nodded.

"Jeff, Ray! Come down please; our guests are here." Ken barely got the words out when they heard the stampede. Two big boys who closely resembled their dads hustled down a staircase.

"Boys, this is Brian Kinney and his son Gus." Simon made the introductions and everyone shook hands. "Why don't you take Gus up to the terrace?"

"Can we take some cookies?" Jeff asked his father Ken with just a little bat of his lashes. Ken and Simon laughed at the blatant display. "And he's the straight one!" They all laughed. Simon placed six large cookies on a plate.

"Only two each, lunch will be ready soon," Simon counseled the boys.

"Thank you!" All three boys offered then Gus followed Jeff and Ray back up the stairs.

"Let's go into the kitchen," Simon beckoned. "I want to hear all about St. Augustine."

Brian gave Ken and Simon the abbreviated version of St. Augustine and had them rolling when it came to the Shark House and the lesbians.

When lunch was ready, they packed up some trays and went up to the rooftop terrace.

^^^^^^^^

Summer in the city was hot but the terrace offered an awning and several small trees in large containers which gave shade. There was a light breeze which made it quite comfortable.

Brian was impressed. "Your boys, they take after both of you," Brian commented. The boys were sitting on the other side looking through some comics and computer magazines. They seemed to be getting along famously.

"They should. We were very lucky to have two wonderful sisters who were our surrogates," Simon explained as Ken beamed with pride. "I am Jeffrey's biological father. Kenny's sister was the surrogate."

"Raymond is mine. Simon's sis was the surrogate. The boys are brothers and cousins," Ken added.

"It's the same for my brother and his partner. John is the biological dad; Bobby's sister was their surrogate." They were quiet for a while as they relaxed and sipped iced tea. "If it's not too personal, how is Ray handling coming out." Brian was curious; his thoughts went back to his conversation with Gus.

"He's doing well, some confusion when it comes to drag queens and transgendered though," Ken said with a twinkle in his eyes. "We have a lot of support groups here. He gets to talk with other kids who are going through the same thing. You'd think it would be easy for a kid to come out when he's grown up in a same sex home. But teenage sexuality is a drama, straight or gay."

Brian had to agree.

"What about Gus? Has he spoken to you about it?" Simon sensed Brian's concern.

"Yes. He had a crush on a girl last summer. He swore that he was straight and he thought I'd be upset. Now he's not so sure. The girl in question looks like a boy. She was on the street hustling like a boy. A friend of mine who runs a clinic for street kids got her off the street, cleaned her up, helped her get a job and a home. She and Gus are just friends. Now she thinks she's a lesbian and my son has no idea what he is. Christ! Does it ever get any easier?"

Simon and Ken looked at each other and then at Brian. "No!" they answered in unison then chuckled as Brian groaned and hung his head.

"That's what I thought. I'm keeping Briana in overalls and locked up in her room until she's thirty," Brian stated emphatically as he crossed his arms over his chest. He knew he was not going to handle his precious Squirt growing up very well.

"Brian, I hate to break this to you but Gus is going to be a heartbreaker, gay or straight. He's won over our boys." Simon nodded toward the kids. Gus looked like he was telling them a tall tale. The boys were listening very intently. Brian groaned louder.

"Just let Gus know that you love him no matter what and it'll be fine," Ken said gently. Brian smiled. That was just what he said last night to Gus at dinner. Maybe there was hope for Brian and his parenting skills.

"More iced tea?" Ken held up the pitcher with a smile and everyone nodded.

After lunch, Simon and Ken with the boys, took Brian and Gus on a walking tour of the area. Gus took hundreds of pictures including the Flatiron building, Washington Square Park and the infamous, Stonewall Bar. They had a wonderful afternoon.

Later on Brian and Gus were treated to dinner in a local outdoor café. Gus remarked that the street with all the same sex couples strolling along holding hands reminded him of home.

"You have something like the Village in Pittsburgh?" Raymond asked.

"Not a whole section of town, it's more like one long street," Gus tried to explain Liberty Avenue. "But it belongs to us."

Brian looked up at his son after his last remark and smiled. Gay or straight, no matter where they would eventually wind up, Liberty Avenue was their home.

"It sounds fascinating!" Ken gushed.

"Then let me extend an invitation," Brian began. "Some time before the summer ends, why don't you all come to Pittsburgh to see how us peasants live. We have plenty of room at the cottage and we can take you to see Liberty Avenue. We can also go to Babylon."

"Pop, can we go too?" Gus was hoping that he and his new friends could get a glimpse of Babylon.

"Gus..." Brian growled softly.

"Pleeassse!"

"I'll work something out with Carl but I can't let you in on the dance floor."

"Thanks, Pop! You're the best."

"Yeah, right. Just don't tell your momma; she'll have my other ball."

"Eiw, Pop!"

Simon, Ken and the boys were trying to follow the whole exchange but to no avail.

"If you guys come to the Pitts, I'll tell you the whole story," Brian said by way of a very brief explanation.

"Dad, can we go to the bakery?" Jeffrey asked. Raymond was practically bouncing in his seat.

"Sure, let's go," Ken replied. The boys cheered as they paid the check. The band of men followed Ken as they wound through the narrow streets to a small bakery on the corner of Bleecker Street.

"You have got to be kidding me!" Brian groused as he saw the bakery with a line leading out the door and down the street. "You expect me to wait in line for a cookie?"

"Not cookies," Raymond stated. "Besides, Dad makes the greatest cookies. We're waiting for cupcakes." Jeff and Raymond were practically salivating.

"Cupcakes," Brian murmured as they got closer. "They have a bouncer?" Brian's eyes grew large as he saw a big African American man with an apron letting people in at the door.

"Brian, I promise the line moves quickly," Simon said reasonably. They all moved to the end of the line. Within fifteen minutes the adults went into the small bakery as the boys waited outside. It was very small, hence the need for the 'bouncer' who was really there to control the flow in and out. The guys came out with two boxes of cupcakes and handfuls of napkins. Simon turned and opened a box to offer one of the famous confections to Brian. Brian removed a chocolate cupcake from the box and took a nibble.

"Fuck me!" The cupcake was sweet without being sickly sweet, full flavored but light and airy. The icing melted in your mouth. "I wonder if they ship." They all laughed heartily as Gus wiped the icing off his dad's cheek.