- Text Size +

 

Chapter 8

^^^^^^^^

People began arriving early in the afternoon. Briana and Patrick were only too happy to give each new arrival a guided tour of the play house. Brian and Justin and John and Bobby just stood back and watched their children conduct themselves like little adults.

"They're growing up so fast," Bobby said. That he was choked up at the thought was evident in his voice.

"Our little man," John said giving his husband a hug and then a kiss to the cheek.

Justin and Brian looked at each other and silently hugged. There were no words to describe how they felt about their daughter growing up. They wanted her to grow and be happy and successful in her life, but they also wanted her to stay their little baby girl. That was every parent's dilemma.

"You boys have all done a wonderful job raising your children," Debbie said with a smile. She had already had her tour and had been watching the proud parents.

"Aw, thanks, Ma," Brian smirked.

Debbie reached up and gently smacked Brian's cheek. Then she pulled his head down into a lipsticky kiss that took some doing to remove from his skin.

"Good work, men," Carl said as he stood beside his wife. "That's quite the little edifice. I noted the Kinney fireplace and John's fine construction work," Carl added.

"Hey, what about my mural?" Justin asked with a laugh.

"Your usual superlative work," Carl replied.

"It was genius," Bobby added. "We brought back all kinds of Lego from the store at Disney. I think we need a special box to hold it all out there."

"That's a great idea," Justin said. "Then we don't have to worry about it being all over the house and getting lost."

"As long as the storage isn't in the shape of a frog," Brian smirked.

They all turned to look at the massive toy chest in the corner of the sun porch. Its froggie mouth gaped wide at them. Everyone stifled a laugh as Brian glared at the offensive frog.

Bree and Patrick took that moment to come back to the sun porch leading Emmett, Drew, Ted and Allen fresh from their tour of the play house.

"What the fuck's the matter with you, Honeycutt?" Brian demanded looking at Emmett's face which was flushed from crying.

"It's just the most lovely little house," Emmett gushed. "I always wanted a little house with a picket fence, didn't I, Teddy?" Emmett looked at his longtime friend and once lover.

"Yeah, Emm, but I don't think Bree and Patrick would like you moving in," Ted chuckled.

"Oh, you silly man," Emmett laughed as he swatted Ted's chest. "I don't want to move in, but it's just so pretty…" Emmett started to tear up once again.

"Auntie Emm," Briana said tugging at Emmett's pant leg. "Don't cry. You play with me all the time in the play house?"

"Thank you, sweetie," Emmett replied picking up the little girl. "That's very nice of you to ask."

"Dada says I have to share," she said sweetly and batted her eyes at her father.

Brian groaned. He was so whipped by someone who was barely two feet tall. He wanted to grab Bree and hug her and never let her go. Sometimes she was just too damn perfect.

Emmett kissed her cheek. "I'd be happy to play in your house anytime, sweetie. I can't believe how perfect that little house is." He started to well up again.

"Let's get you a drink," Drew said pulling Emmett away. Emmett handed Bree to Justin as he followed his lover.

"God, do you think he'll be all right?" Justin asked. "I didn't think a play house would affect him so much."

"It's like the realization of an old dream for him," Ted said with a wistful look on his face. "When we were looking for a house, that was exactly how he described what he wanted." Ted pointed to the play house.

"We always aim to fulfill everyone's fantasies," Brian smirked.

"Brian?" a female voice said from behind him.

"Mother, glad you could come," Brian said smiling slightly at his mother. "Where's Claire?"

"She decided that she couldn't afford the time away today, so I came by myself," Joan said proudly.

"That's a fair trip all on your own," Ted stated. "You could have ridden up with us."

"That's very sweet of you, Ted. I'll remember that for another time."

"No problem," Ted replied as he and Allen headed for the drinks.

"Would you like Bree to give you a tour of the star of the day?" Brian asked.

"I'd love it," Joan said smiling at her granddaughter.

"Down," Bree ordered. Justin set her down and Bree grabbed Joan's hand. "C'mon, Gamma."

Bree hustled her grandmother out of the sun porch and across the lawn to the play house. They stopped outside and Brian and Justin could see her pointing out things to the older woman.

"She really does listen to what we tell her, doesn't she?" Brian said huskily.

"I think she sees and remembers a lot more than we have any idea about," Justin said squeezing Brian's shoulder.

"That's a scary thought," Brian said with a frown.

Outside Bree was explaining gar-gar to her grandmother. "Dada and me made those," Bree said as she pointed to the flower boxes.

"They're very pretty. Do you like to garden with your dada?"

"Yep. We have fun."

"That's good," Joan replied wiping at a tear that threatened to fall. She wished she had such memories with Brian and Claire.

"Inside," Bree said pulling Joan's hand.

They went through the door and Joan stopped in amazement. She had never seen anything like it in all her life. Even in her wildest dreams she would never have imagined building such a house for a child.

"This is me," Bree said pointing to the painting on the wall. "And Patwick, Patrick," she corrected herself. "There Dada and Daddy and Gus."

"And who are they?" Joan asked pointing to the Morrison-Andersons.

"That Unca John and Unca Bobby."

"You are a smart little girl," Joan smiled.

"I know," Bree replied confidently.

Joan had to laugh at her cheeky granddaughter. "What's this?" Joan asked looking at the fireplace. She couldn't believe there could actually be a fireplace in a play house.

"It's a fireplace," Bree said slowly making sure she pronounced every word correctly. "Daddy says we can use it when the weather gets colder," Bree explained, parroting her father's words.

"You mean it actually works?"

"Yep."

"Well, you sure are a lucky little girl to have all this."

"It's Patrick's too," Bree told her. "I share."

"That's very good," Joan replied and marveled at how well raised her granddaughter was.

Mel and Lindsay arrived with JR and Katerina. They were all treated to a tour then JR decided to hang with the kids and Gus in the play house. Gus brought in a large container that held the Legos. Justin brought in some cushions for the kids to sit on if they wanted to sit on the floor instead of the chairs. He stood by the door and watched as all the children played together, building Lego characters, buildings and vehicles. It wasn't until lunch was announced, several hours later when the adults saw the kids again.

"Brian." Lindsay was sitting under an umbrella out at the edge of the garden. "I wanted to discuss something with you."

"How much is it going to cost me?" A touch of the old Brian snuck out now and then.

"Brian," Lindsay scowled.

"Sorry, what do you want to discuss?"

"Are you planning to have Gus start at Kinnetik this Monday?"

"Yes, he seems to be very excited about it. Cynthia has his schedule all worked out for him. Why?" He silently feared that Melanie and Lindsay had changed their minds about the summer job.

"We brought more of his clothes. I put them away in his room. There's enough there for two weeks. We thought he could stay here for the next two weeks then you can drop him home for two weeks. If it's okay with you we can do that for the whole summer."

"Really!" Brian valiantly tried to remain stoic but the thought of Lindsay and Mel volunteering a visitation was too much to hope for. "We'd love it. Thank you."

"Um, one more thing..."

'Oh shit, here's where the other shoe drops,' thought Brian.

"Would it be all right if JR stays too? Just a week. She misses Gus

when they're apart and she can help out with Bree and Patrick while Justin is busy painting. She's growing up so fast."

Brian couldn't agree more. All the children were growing up fast.

"We can put her in Bree's room, I have a fold away bed someplace or she can use the pull out in the attic. We'd love to have her."

"Don't you want to ask Justin first?" Lindsay didn't like it when Brian assumed that Justin would agree to everything Brian wanted.

"Sure, but I don't see a problem. I'll go ask him now."

Lindsay smiled with approval as Brian stood up to search for his partner. Said partner was in the kitchen, elbows deep in lettuce.

"Whoa there, Sunshine, what's all this? It looks like the 'The Day of the Triffids' in here." Brian referenced an old 60's horror movie he stayed up to watch one night when Briana was teething and needed her dada.

"I'm trying to make a salad big enough for all of us but I think the lettuce has other plans," Justin snarked. "More helping and less gawking would be nice."

Justin's gripe brought Brian out of his reverie. He got down an extra large serving bowl that was high up on a shelf. He quickly rinsed out the bowl then helped his spouse corral the lettuce and turn it into the basis for their salad.

Brian's silent helpfulness signaled a question.

"What is it, Brian?"

"What's what?"

Justin did his own version of the death glare. There were many mouths to feed already and more on the way. Justin wasn't in the mood to play twenty questions. Brian sighed, Justin was so onto him.

"Lindsay wants to know if we'd like Gus to stay with us for the next two weeks. And then off and on every two weeks through the summer. They brought more clothes for him. They also wanted to know if it was okay for JR to stay this week. She'd love to help out with the kids while you're busy painting."

"Did you put them up to this?" Justin was still feeling a little guilty about neglecting Briana the other morning.

"No, I didn't. She asked me." Brian waited for Justin to digest the whole idea as he cut up the cucumbers and threw some cherry tomatoes into the bowl.

"I think it's an excellent idea. JR is ten; I bet she'll be a great babysitter. And I'm sure she misses Gus when he's away."

"That's just what Lindsay said. But she wanted me to run it by you first."

Justin leaned over the huge bowl to give Brian a kiss.

"Then it's settled." The lover's kissed again.

"Hey! No lover's spit in the salad!" Emmett shouted as he came in to help with the food preparation.

"Fuck you, Honeycutt. It'll probably make it taste better."

"You're a sick bastard, Kinney," Emmett groused.

"Your point?" Brian glared at the tall queen.

"Go away. Shoo! This calls for finesse. Go warm up that monstrosity of a grill. We have a lot of hungry people out there," Emmett ordered. Brian gave them both a mock salute then gladly went out to do as he was instructed.

"How do you do that?" Justin asked of Emmett.

"Do what, sugar?"

"Get Brian Kinney to jump like that?"

"I don't know. I guess over the years we've come to an understanding. Maybe he knows he has my loyalty as a friend. He really has helped me out in the past. In more ways than I can count." Emmett remembered when Brian pulled some strings to get Stockwell and the DA not bring criminal charges against Ted. "We're friends."

"Yeah." Justin gave Emmett a hug then they both got back to the task at hand.

Brian and John were preparing the grills for the feast.

"John, I want to run an idea by you."

"Sure."

"You know I really love our little corner of the world out here and I think you do too."

"You bet I do. This is a beautiful area." They both looked up to gaze at their little oasis.

"I've been wondering about the land surrounding us. Do you know who owns it?"

"I'm not sure. I think it's state land. The nearest neighbor is about three miles away. Why?"

"I've been thinking about investing in the land. What if we bought it up?"

"You mean we'd own it and then sell parcels to friends or endow it to grown child some time in the future?" Brian nodded, that was exactly what he meant. "We could have Jennifer and Bobby look into it." Brian smiled.

"Sounds like a plan."

"I've always liked your plans. We can discuss it later with Justin and Bobby."

"Okay. Now I think we need to concentrate on cooking. Rachel and her family just got here."

Bobby was captured by his sister and his sister's family. They were so grateful their house was going to be saved and they loved the idea of living close by.

"Then we better get the meat on the grill!"

^^^^^^^^

"Hey Jester!" Molly and Owen came through the front door. They brought some wine and fruit salad.

"Mollusk!" Justin came around the granite island to give his sister and her fiancé a hug. "What's all this?"

"We had to bring something. I figured you couldn't go wrong with fruit and wine. Can we help?"

"Hi ya, honey!" Emmett called out to Molly and Owen. "You can bring that out to the table. But not before you introduce me to your handsome young man," Emmett gushed. He was in total flaming chef mode with his 'kiss the cook' apron and his fuchsia chef's hat perched atop his head. He looked like seven feet of flaming queen.

"Emmett, this is Owen. Owen, this is..."

"Your new Auntie Emm!" Emmett rushed around the island to embrace the aghast young man. Justin and Molly were failing at hiding their giggles. "Welcome to the family! Oh Justin, our little girl is growing up." Emmett sniffled as tears formed in his eyes. "Silly me, must be the onions. Take your fruit and your beau to the porch. I'm sure the family will just eat him up!"

Emmett released the shocked Owen and Molly led him out to the porch.

"Em, that was a little over the top, you know." Justin leaned in close to the taller man to whisper.

"I know, sweetie, but if that boy is going to survive our family, he better get used to it." Emmett and Justin giggled as they continued their work.

^^^^^^^^

"You're Drew Boyd! I've seen all your games! Oh my god, Molly, you never told me that you knew Drew Boyd!" Owen was in awe of the retired football star.

"Drew, this is my fiancé, Owen," Molly introduced.

Owen shook Drew's hand vigorously. "The pleasure is all mine. You've got yourself a nice catch here, little lady." Drew turned one of his winning smiles on Molly and Owen.

"Um, is your wife here? I'd love to meet her." Somehow the ruckus over Drew's outing never sunk into Owen. And it was a long time ago.

"You've already met," Molly said gently, blushing slightly.

"We did? I, um..." Just then Emmett stuck his head out the door and into the porch.

"Drewsie, honey, we can use those big strong arms of yours!"

"Coming, baby! Excuse me, duty calls." Drew walked away leaving a very confused Owen in his wake.

"Molly, he's not."

"I'm afraid so."

"Are they all?" Owen whispered as he looked over most of the couples.

"Mostly. Does it bother you?" Molly needed to know because she couldn't stand the thought of not inviting her precious 'family' to her wedding.

"No, not really. It just takes a little getting used to."

Molly nodded. "You better get used to it quick. Oh shit, here comes Debbie."

"Who's Debbie?" Owen's eyes widened as the strange loud redhead marched up to them.

"Molly, honey!" Debbie shouted. "Is this him?" Debbie stood with her hands on her hips, smacking the gum in her mouth.

"Yes, Aunt Deb, this is Owen. Owen, this is Debbie Horvath; she's Michael's mother and my brother's."

"How the hell are you?" Owen didn't get the chance to answer or question Molly about Debbie being Justin's mother, as the short but surprisingly strong woman drew him into a fierce hug.

"Ma! Ma! Let him go, he's turning blue!" Michael sprinted over to save the helpless man. Owen caught his breath and then extended his hand to Michael.

"Owen."

"Michael. I'm Brian's best friend."

"I'm Molly's..."

"Yeah, I know. Welcome to the family. Anyone seen Brian?" Michael's attention was quickly diverted as he sought out his best friend. "Oh, I see him. Nice to meet you. Come on, Ma, we have to say hi to Brian."

"I'm right with you, honey. We'll talk later, Molly." Debbie and Michael walked out the garden door.

"Mol, is he?"

"Yup."

"Debbie?"

"Hell no, she's married to Carl." Molly pointed out the big burly ex-

cop.

"Thank God."

"Molly, honey?" A stately blond approached the couple. Owen was impressed by her beauty and poise.

"Hi, Lindsay, I'd like you to meet Owen."

Lindsay extended a dainty hand. "Very nice to meet you."

Owen was practically sweating as he took the smaller hand in his. "Nice to meet you."

Lindsay turned as Melanie strode up. "And this is Melanie, my wife."

Melanie extended her hand and gave Owen a bone crushing shake. "Nice to meet you. Let me give you a word of advice regarding Brian Kinney."

"Mel..." Lindsay growled.

"Oh fuck it. Welcome to the family." Lindsay steered her wife away.

"Them too?!"

"Yup," Molly said with a grin. Owen shook his head and groaned.

Molly led her fiancé to a nearby table then went off to get him a drink.

Lunch was set up buffet style and everyone helped themselves. The family sat out just beyond the gardens enjoying the warm day. The kids were pried away from the Wendy house and were sitting together at their own table. Briana was holding court explaining to anyone who would listen all about the new play house and about gar-gar.

"Briana?" Joan wanted to know Bree's secret to successful gardening. "How do you get all your pretty flowers to grow?"

"Dada tells them to grow," Briana answered matter-of-factly as she popped a piece of hot dog in her mouth.

"What does your Dada say to the flowers?" Joan had to ask. Brian blanched; he couldn't think of what he told the plants.

"Now grow, you fucker!"

The yard suddenly got very quiet.