- Text Size +

 

Chapter 19

^^^^^^^^

The following day Simon and Ken and their sons decided to head off into the countryside and do some exploring. Ken collected pottery and he had found a list of potters when they were at the Sidney Bloom Gallery. He was hoping he might find something unique or particularly beautiful on their trek.

Brian and Gus went into work and Justin had decided to paint, inspiration having struck after their lunch at the diner.

Having put in a good morning's work, Brian made a decision about what he would do for the afternoon. He made a call and then headed out telling Ted to let Gus know that he would be back in time to drive them both back to the cottage.

Brian felt like walking so he set out on his mission. It was a pleasant not overly warm day and the walk would be good for him. It took about twenty minutes to arrive at his destination.

He pushed open the door of the comic book store.

"Brian, what are you doing here?" was Michael's enthusiastic greeting.

"I came to see my oldest and best friend."

"You did?" Michael grinned, the pleasure that Brian's words gave him written across his face.

"Can you take a couple of hours off?" Brian asked.

"I guess I could leave Jerry to mind the store for a while." Michael indicated the pimply faced high school student who worked part-time at the comic book store. "Why?"

"'The Attack of the Killer Tomatoes' is playing at the theater."

"No shit! 'The vegetables of doom return! They're bad and this time they're really stewed!'" Michael quoted.

"And George Clooney's in it for like a minute."

"Let's go," Michael replied with a big grin.

"I thought you might say that," Brian smirked.

"Let me give Jerry some instructions and I'll be right with you." Michael went over to the counter and talked to Jerry. Brian watched him and truly hoped this could be a fresh start in their relationship.

They walked the distance back to the theater that John had restored.

On the way Michael had to ask, "Where are your guests today? Have they gone back to New York?"

"Not yet. They're on a day trip through the countryside. Ken collects pottery so they're making the rounds of some of the local artisans and shops."

"Pottery?"

"Yeah, bowls and plates and dishes."

"Hm."

"What?" Brian asked wondering what kind of snide remark Michael was about to make.

"I thought I was the only one who collected anything."

"You mean your toys?"

"They're not toys," Michael corrected. "They're memorabilia."

"Excuuse me," Brian chuckled.

"You have no idea how much my collection is worth, do you?"

"No. You mean it actually has a monetary value?"

"Yeah, and quite a substantial one."

"I'm happy for you, Mikey. Who knew?"

"Not everything I do is stupid," Michael said rather petulantly.

"I never thought it was."

"If they were sold, I'd have a nice chunk of change to leave to Hunter and JR."

"Good for you, Mikey."

"I can look after my children, you know."

"What does that mean?" Brian asked as they entered the theater. Brian bought two tickets and Michael got them soda and popcorn.

"It means that I know about what you did for JR," Michael said.

Brian groaned inwardly. Melanie! It had to be her. "So?" he asked.

"It wasn't necessary."

"I wanted to do it, Michael. She's a great kid."

"I know she is, but sometimes she's so distant."

They found seats in the front row of the balcony and the movie began almost immediately. They had cut it rather close.

"I've noticed that JR's kind of quiet, but I don't think it's anything to worry about."

"Well, thank you, Dr. Phil," Michael said sarcastically.

"Michael, I thought we could enjoy the movie. I didn't realize you had all this shit to dig up."

"I'm sorry," Michael said with a sigh. "I just found out about the trust fund for JR and it threw me for a loop."

"I'll take it back if it will help," Brian offered.

"No, don't do that. I just wish you'd told me."

"I never told anybody. I'm going to kill whoever let the fucking cat out of the bag."

"Don't kill anyone," Michael said placing his hand on Brian's arm. "I'm sorry I brought it up. I just wanted you to know that I could look after the kids."

"I never doubted that you could."

"Then let's enjoy the movie."

They turned their attention to the movie enjoying the cheesy special effects and the weird characters. There were places they laughed aloud, usually at the same time. They seemed to be back in sync.

When the movie was over they made their way outside.

"That was great, Brian," Michael said enthusiastically. "I'm glad you thought of it."

"Me too," Brian replied. "Are we okay?"

"Better than okay," Michael replied. "Best friends forever."

"That's good."

"I loved those carrots with the guns at the end of the movie," Michael giggled.

"I don't know what would be worse," Brian laughed. "A world ruled by tomatoes or one ruled by carrots."

"Brussel sprouts," Michael grimaced and they both laughed.

Brian slung his arm over his best friend's shoulder and they walked down the alley together.

"So is this considered our date?" Brian asked with his eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, but I still want to have dinner with you."

"Just me alone or is it okay if the guys come too?"

"Not the diner," Mikey whined. "I want real food."

"Real food, you idiot, we'll go to Pappaganos."

"Really?"

"Yeah, really, but you have to wear your good clothes and something that'll look good on the dance floor. This Friday night, I want to show the guys Babylon."

"You're kidding, right? Aren't we too old to be shaking our pathetic asses on the dance floor?"

"Speak for yourself, Mikey, my ass is far from pathetic." Brian said with confidence as he smacked his own firm ass for effect. "And from what I can see your ass is holding up just fine.'

"You think so?"

"Yes, I do."

"You oughta know; you are the expert on ass." Brian shot Mikey a glare but then they broke out into laughs on the street in front of the comic store.

"So is it a date?" Brian hoped that Michael wouldn't be jealous again.

"It's a date. I think Ben will love it," Michael said as he was eyeing the front door to his store.

"Go on, back to work, Mikey, and of course, you can start the gay grapevine buzzing. Let them know the kings of Babylon are as hot as ever and ready to put on their show," Brian snarked as he gave his best friend in the whole world a kiss and a hug on Liberty Avenue for all the world to see. Michael smiled brightly then went inside. Brian sauntered back to Kinnetik.

^^^^^^^^

Friday afternoon and Ken and Simon's visit with the Kinney-Taylor family was coming to a close. Simon and Kinnetik had come to a preliminary lease agreement. Brian and Ken came to a tentative agreement too. Justin had done his own research into Ken Mann-Greene and pointed out to Brian that having a New York known graphic artist as part of Kinnetik N'ergy might not be a bad thing. Brian agreed and pitched his idea to Ken. Brian made plans to return to New York in the near future.

But for now the only plan Brian was working on was a reservation at Papaganos. While Brian was on the phone confirming his table, Emmett rushed into his inner sanctum.

"Hi, hi, hi!" Emmett flew in with an exaggerated flurry and made a show of himself reclining on Brian's sofa. Brian quickly finished up his conversation then slammed the phone down onto its cradle.

"What's the meaning of this, Honeycutt?" Brian growled.

"Oh pooh, that tone may work on Teddy but it doesn't work on me. Now is it true that our Lord Kinney is taking the lot of us to a fancy dinner then on to Babylon? Maybe with a stop at Woody's?" Brian was flabbergasted at Emmett's serious set of balls and could only nod.

"Fabulous! Now I'm sure you have something wonderfully black and sexy hidden at the loft and I know I can find something for Ted and his very conservative music man to wear tonight. Mikey is hopeless, of course, but I'll speak with Ben; he won't let me down. Now as for Hunter and Nick, well, I'll just have to rely on their young judgment not to embarrass themselves. As for our little Sunshine, he could walk in wearing a potato sack and still look scrumptious." Brian's head began spinning and he was doing his best to keep up with the rampaging flames.

"Now for Drewsie and myself, well, no worries there. The munchers, oh dear, we just have to pray that they remember how to dress themselves. I mean have you ever seen what Melanie wears to her office?" Emmett stuck a finger into his mouth and made gagging noises.

"That just leaves the boys and Ken and Simon."

Brian snapped out of his shock long enough to register that by the boys, Emmett meant Gus, Jeff and Ray. "Emmett, the boys are too..."

"I know, they're so tall and gangly. I'll just have to take them shopping on Liberty. I do believe Justin is in town with everyone?" Brian nodded. Brian and Gus drove in together with clothes packed and they had dropped them off at the loft before coming to Kinnetik. Justin was driving Ken, Simon and the boys with their clothes. They'd all meet at the loft after work then meet everyone at the restaurant. Brian had thought they'd drop the boys off at the loft after dinner.

"Emmett, the boys...

"Now, don't you worry your sexy head about it. Auntie Emm has it all under control. I'm going to take everyone to Torso in a few minutes. I'm just here for your credit card." Emmett extended his hand and snapped his fingers at Brian. Brian automatically went for his wallet to fish out said card.

"Wait just a fucking minute! The boys are too young for Woody's and the club. We can get into trouble."

"Sweetie, would I do that to you? Woody's will tag the boys as underage when we first walk in and they'll only be able to drink soda or water or anything non-alcoholic. Same thing at Babylon and Carl can always bring them up to one of the private booths upstairs. They'll have a bird's eye view of the dance floor. The boys will get a kick out of watching their dads shaking their booties!" Emmett made a twirl that ended in his praise Jesus move. Brian sighed loudly. Emmett had thought of everything. Brian handed over his credit card.

Seeing a distressed Brian, Emmett had to offer comfort. "Oh, honey, have no fear, Auntie Emm is here," Emmett gushed and gave Brian a big ole hug then released the speechless man and left in the same flurry as he had arrived. Brian stood for a moment then sat back down with a plop, groaning loudly as he scrubbed his hands over his eyes.

"Boss?" Ted was passing and heard the moans. "Brian, is everything all right?"

"No," Brian moaned softly.

Ted approached the desk slowly. "Brian, I'm your friend, you can tell me anything," Ted said gently. They had shared a few confidences over the years.

"I gave him my credit card," Brian groaned again then his head landed on his desk with a thud.

"What? I don't understand." Ted crouched close to Brian.

"I gave Emmett my credit card. He's going to take them all shopping. Clothes for tonight."

"Brian, I'm sorry, I still don't understand." Ted was having trouble following Brian's diatribe but clearly understood the look of sheer horror on Brian's face. Brian sat up and grabbed Ted by his collar.

"I GAVE EMMETT HONEYCUTT MY CREDIT CARD. HE'S GOING TO TAKE GUS, KEN, SIMON, THEIR BOYS AND JUSTIN SHOPPING! WHAT PART OF EMMETT AND MY CREDIT CARD DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND?"

"Oh Brian! What possessed you to give Liberty's queen of trash your credit card?" Ted stood up and sat on the edge of Brian's desk. Brian leaned on Ted's knee.

"I don't know. He came in, started yapping about what everyone was going to wear...oh by the way, he plans on dressing you and Allen too. Said something about taking the boys to Torso then demanded my credit card."

"And you gave it to him?!"

"I, I...FUCK!"

"No, that's fucked. Well, I gotta go. I better take another look at your accounts, make sure you have enough to cover it all. Later, boss." Ted moved, Brian's head landed on the desk again then Ted walked out. Brian groaned as Ted's giggles wafted back at him.

^^^^^^^^

"Ooh, those are hot," Emmett gushed as Raymond came out of the change room at Torso. He was wearing tight fitting black jeans and a gossamer shirt that left nothing to the imagination.

"Yeah, you look hot, Ray," Jeffrey chuckled.

"Shut up, Jeff! I want to look hot. This will be the first gay club I've ever been to."

"Think you can find a guy to hook up with?" Jeff laughed.

"A hot guy!" Ray declared.

"Raymond," Simon said sternly, "you are too young to be contemplating picking up a guy."

"Daaaad!"

"You heard me. You may look at Babylon, but you may not touch."

"But I want to dance," Raymond pleaded.

"We'll see," Simon grudgingly said.

Raymond looked sour, but then he turned and looked at himself in the mirror. He did look hot and his father couldn't keep an eye on him every minute they were in Babylon. His smile returned.

"Now Simon dear, we need to find something for you and Ken to wear to Babylon. We want everyone to look fabulous," Emmett explained as he rooted through the racks of clothing.

"I have clothes," Simon stated. "I don't need new ones. And I certainly don't need Brian paying for them."

"Simon, sweetheart," Ken said trying to mollify his partner. "I want you to look fabulous at Babylon. I'll be drooling all over you and so will half the club."

"Just half?" Simon laughed. Ken always knew how to make him feel better.

Ken ignored the comment and enjoyed the laugh he had been able to elicit. "We don't have anything suitable to wear to Babylon, and you know it."

"Nobody's going to care what we wear," Simon retorted.

"They will if you wear the right thing," Emmett said holding pants and a sweater up against Simon's chest. "Try these on."

Simon groaned but took the clothes into the change room.

"Is he always this hard to dress?" Emmett asked. Ken rolled his eyes. "Let's find something fabulous for you, sweetie."

By the time Emmett was done they all had new outfits to wear to Babylon. Their suits were at the loft and they would wear those to Pappaganos and would go back to the loft to change for clubbing.

The boys were very excited. Raymond knew he would look hot and his height would help him to look older than he really was. Jeffrey was looking forward to seeing what a gay club was all about. He thought he looked pretty good too in his new outfit. He wondered if anybody would hit on him. Gus had a new outfit that made him look like some of the pictures he had seen of his father when Brian wasn't much older than Gus was now. He still wasn't exactly sure about his sexuality, but a trip to Babylon might help him decide. The thought of all the hot guys there made his dick swell. But he was also a bit scared about what might happen to him at Babylon. It was a big unknown.

Simon and Ken managed to find outfits that suited their individual styles. Emmett, in spite of his out and proud ideas, understood the more conservative Simon, and actually found an outfit that was sexy but not sleazy. Simon liked it because it didn't make him look like he was trying to be twenty again, well thirty. And Ken found it very attractive on his partner. Ken let Emmett dress him in one of the wilder outfits. He told Simon that they needed to recapture their youth, but just for the one evening. Everyone came away happy.

Simon had decided he was paying Brian back for all the outfits his family was wearing. He didn't care what Emmett said about Brian's generosity.

Emmett was in seventh heaven, choosing clothes and ordering the staff of Torso around. They were only too happy to oblige when they realized that Emmett was using Brian Kinney's credit card and this would be their biggest day of sales in the last year.