- Text Size +

 

Chapter 3

^^^^^^^^

"How's it going with Gus?" Justin asked into the phone.

"I think he had a great time with Jeff and Ray, Ken and Simon's sons." Brian was sitting on one of the beds in their hotel room talking to Justin while Gus was in the shower.

"That's great."

"We went out to dinner with all of them and then we had cupcakes." Brian smirked at the memory.

"Cupcakes? You!?"

"Yep, they were awesome," Brian chuckled using one of Justin's favorite words.

"Is this really Brian Kinney or are you some impostor?"

"I'm thinking of importing them to Pennsylvania."

"They must have been some cupcakes for you to be so enamored," Justin laughed.

"They were. I'll try to bring a dozen home with me."

"I can hardly wait."

"I wish Bree was still up," Brian said sadly.

"It's after eleven, Brian," Justin reminded him.

"I know, but we went back to Simon and Ken's after the cupcake place. We were talking and time just got away."

"Why don't you call in the morning?" Justin suggested.

"Maybe I will."

"You better. You know she misses you."

"Does she?"

"Of course, you big Smoosh, and so do I."

"Does that Smoosh have a capital 'S'?"

"Absolutely. So what do you and Gus have planned for tomorrow?"

"We're going to talk about that before we go to bed."

"And you're letting Gus make some decisions?"

"Naturally, this is his trip."

"You're a good dad," Justin said smiling into the phone.

"I'm trying."

"And you're succeeding."

"I think it was good for Gus to meet Ray and Jeff. Ray is gay and he has just come out to his fathers. Jeff is straight. Maybe they can help Gus get some things straight, pardon my choice of words, about his sexuality. He seems fucking confused right now."

"I know. Maybe they'll get a chance to talk."

"I'm going to try to arrange that," Brian said and then added. "I better go. The shower just went off."

"Okay, I'll have Bree ready for your phone call in the morning."

"Thanks. Later, Sunshine."

"Later."

Brian cut the connection as Gus called from the bathroom. "Dad, can we go to the Statue of Liberty tomorrow?"

Brian groaned. This could be almost as bad as Disney World, but he'd survive it … for his son.

^^^^^^^^

"Have you got everything loaded into the car?" Justin asked John.

"Everything except the kids."

"I'm glad you could stay home today. I'm looking forward to lunch at the farm. We don't see as much of Claire and Steve since they got married."

"I know. I hate to think what they're doing all the time," John said with a chuckle and a waggle of his eyebrows.

"Eiw, John," Justin laughed.

"I know, I know. It's all the time I've spent with Brian. He's a bad influence." Justin raised his eyebrow. "Okay, it's nobody's fault, but I bet they're doing it all the time."

Justin laughed again. "You're as incorrigible as your brother."

"Probably," John admitted as he called the children from the living room. "Come on, Munchkins, let's get this show on the road."

"I'm not a Munchkin," Patrick protested standing up straight and tall so his father would remember what a big boy he was.

"What a Munchkin?" Bree asked.

"Later, sweetheart," Justin said not wanting to get into a long explanation.

"Grandma Claire is waiting for us. Let's go," John repeated.

"I take muñequita," Bree said holding up her dolly who now had a new name thanks to Katerina.

"Okay, let's get you and muñequita into the car," Justin said as he took her hand and led her out to the SUV.

"Muñequita," Bree corrected him.

Before long they were at the farm where Claire greeted them warmly and had them sit down to one of her excellent lunches in the kitchen of the farmhouse. They chatted and caught up with what they all had been doing. The children ate and contributed to the conversation when they could. Bree had to show Grandma Claire her muñequita. They all shared a laugh over that one.

When lunch was finished and the adults were cleaning up Bree and Patrick wanted to go outside to play. John went with them while Justin helped Claire and Steve with the dishes. He knew old Beau would never let anything happen to the children, but he felt better with an adult outside with them.

John had brought a Frisbee with them, and the kids had a good time running around chasing it, because mostly they never caught it. One errant throw landed the disc at the base of the tree where Gus' treehouse still sat. It was mostly covered by new growth that had taken over since no one used it much anymore.

As Patrick picked up the Frisbee, he looked up into the tree. "What's that in the tree?" he asked his father.

"That's Gus' treehouse," John replied without thinking.

"Twee house?" Bree asked, her eyes lighting up with the memory of her favorite little house in St. Augustine.

John groaned. Brian was going to kill him. "I designed this house," John said to his son conveniently leaving out the word tree. He hoped for the best. Maybe Bree would be distracted.

"You did?" Patrick asked. "Can we go up?"

"Sure," John said and walked towards the tree.

"Me too," Bree called and ran over to her uncle.

John directed Patrick how to climb up. He picked up Bree whose legs were not long enough for the steps. Together they made their way to the top.

"If we cut back some of these branches, you get a nice view from up here," John said setting Bree down and pulling some of the branches out of the way.

"What's inside?" Patrick asked looking in the window.

"A fireplace," John said smugly.

"A fireplace?" Patrick's eyes got very large.

"Come on; I'll show you." John pushed open the door and they all went inside. The little table and chairs and the mural were still there, although a little dusty from the passage of time. The fireplace still stood against one wall.

Patrick looked around and sized it up. "Gus sure is lucky to have this house."

"Uncle Brian and I built it. Maybe we should ask Gus if he would let us clean it up and use it. It could be fun," John said.

"Mine," Bree said looking around.

"No, Bree, this is Gus', but I'm sure he'll let you and Patrick play here."

"Mine," Bree said defiantly.

"Sorry, little missy, but not everything is yours."

Bree looked at her uncle and tears began to form. "Mine," she whimpered.

John picked her up. "It's not yours, sweetheart. Do you really want a little house of your own?" Bree nodded looking at her uncle through tear filled eyes. "Maybe we can talk to your dada about this, but in the meantime this is not yours and I don't want any more tears. Okay?"

Bree nodded and took a deep breath. Maybe her Dada would get her a house too.

^^^^^^^^

Brian and Gus were up early, had breakfast at the hotel then caught a cab to Battery Park where they could get the ferry to Liberty Island. After their tour they had plans to meet up with Ken and his sons.

The ferry ride wasn't too long and they had a wonderful view of lower Manhattan. On Liberty Island they walked around the grounds, took the tour so they could listen to the history of the statue. Brian and Gus entered the pedestal observation platform to view the interior structure and learn about the statue's design. They had a great time.

Back on the ferry, Brian experienced another moment of 'reflection' similar to how he felt in St. Augustine. An unintentional scowl formed on his face. Gus, who was getting very good at reading his dad, commented.

"What is it, Pop?"

"What's what?" Brian had no idea what his son was referring to.

"The look on your face. What's wrong?"

"Nothing." That famous Kinney eyebrow arched a few notches on Gus' face. Brian shook his head and laughed. "Nothing, really, I'm fine. Better than fine. I'm just grateful you're here with me and that you waited for me."

"Waited for you?"

"Waited until I grew up enough to be a real father to you."

"Oh Dad!" Gus threw his arms around his father to give him a hug. "You're the best dad a kid could have." Brian snorted; he knew it wasn't always that way. "Besides, there aren't many dads I know who would build a kid a treehouse complete with fireplace."

Father and son laughed as they hugged. Another tourist seeing the happy father and son, offered to take their picture together with the Lady herself as a backdrop. Father and son happily posed against the rail of the ferry.

^^^^^^^^

"Push the button." Gus pushed the button at Ken and Simon's door. This time it was Ken who answered the call.

"Yes?"

"Gus Peterson and dad!"

"Well come on in, Gus Peterson and dad!" The buzzer sounded then again at the inner door.

"Come on up!" Ken called out from their landing. Brian and Gus went up the stairs to Ken's apartment. After greetings all around, Ken wanted to know what the guys wanted to see.

"We didn't have anything specific in mind but Justin is about to do a study of the 'old masters', so maybe a museum. We can take pictures for him," Brian suggested.

"Then I have just the place, we'll go to the Met. The boys and I love it there. We just have to wait until someone finishes up his school work for today." Ken gave a pointed look at his son Jeff. Jeff duly blushed then scampered away.

"Almost done, Dad."

"Come on Gus, you can hang with me in my room until Jeff is done." Ray showed Gus to his room.

When it was just Ken and Brian, Brian cocked his head a little.

"School work?"

"That boy of mine, he's a great kid but hormones were hitting hard this past semester and he's into sports. His grades started slipping. He just has a few reports and projects to do as make up. This trip to the Met will help too."

Brian nodded; so far Gus was doing well in school. Briana would be starting far too soon for Brian's liking. He sighed loudly.

"They grow up fast, don't they?" Ken nodded.

"They certainly do." Brian quickly changed the subject. "Will Simon be joining us?"

"I'm afraid not. He's closing a big deal today but you can go down and visit with him for a few minutes. He'd love to see you. We'll be down soon." Brian went back down to the first floor then into the first apartment which was converted into office space.

"May I help you?" a nice looking woman greeted Brian as he entered.

"Brian Kinney for Simon Greene."

"Brian!" Simon came out of another room. "Good to see you. How was your morning?"

"It was all right. We saw the Statue of Liberty."

"Damn, I'm one of those New Yorkers who has lived here all his life and never went. We should take the boys."

"They'd love it. Gus did."

Simon showed Brian around the spacious office as they discussed the plans for the day.

"Ken is taking us to the Met."

"You're going to love it. There's something for everyone there. We're members. We go to all the new exhibits." The sound of foot traffic coming down the stairs signaled Brian's departure. "Have a wonderful time, maybe we'll do dinner." They shook hands then Brian joined the guys in the lobby.

^^^^^^^^

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is a large multi-floored building that houses hundreds of works of art and specialty exhibits. Brian and Gus were a little overwhelmed as to where to turn but decided on visiting the gallery that houses the Impressionist Masters. Gus took out his camera and took several photos for himself and for Justin.

"Hey, Sunshine, where are you?" Brian took out his cell, deciding to call Justin as he stood in front of Van Gogh's 'Irises.'

"John and I took the kids to Claire's. They're having fun in the treehouse. What are you up to?"

"I'm standing in front of an amazing painting."

"Which one?"

"Van Gogh's Irises."

"The one with the vase or the big one?"

"The big one. The way the blues and purples contrast with the green, it's beautiful. I think you should include Van Gogh in your study."

"I thought you wanted me to stay away from Van Gogh," Justin chuckled.

"I changed my mind. I'll protect those cute ears of yours."

"My hero. Bri, can you take a picture of it with your phone?"

"Yeah."

"Do it, please. I want to share it with you."

"Okay, Sunshine. Hold on." Brian took the picture then sent it to Justin.

"I almost forgot how wonderful his paintings are. Thank you for calling me." There was a pause and Brian heard Justin sigh.

"Two more wake-ups, Sonny Boy. I'll call you tonight."

"Okay, I miss you."

"Miss you too. Kiss the Squirt for me?"

"Of course. Oh, before I forget, what do you think of a playhouse for the kids? They're having a great time in the treehouse. John had to light the fireplace. They're having a nap up there."

"I guess a playhouse would be okay. We have the room and maybe Bree will get that Redwood house out of her head."

"Great, I'll discuss it with John!"

"You do that." Brian smiled; he knew some sort of treehouse would wind up at Edna's Treasures. "Tell him I've retired my tool belt."

"Will do," Justin laughed knowing that Brian would help out no matter his protestations.

"Later, Sunshine."

"Later, Bri." Unbeknownst to Brian, Gus with his trusty camera had taken pictures of his father in front of the painting talking to Justin. At fifteen Gus knew he was way too young to consider any kind of serious relationship but he hoped that one day he would find true love like Brian and Justin.

^^^^^^^^

"Hey."

"Hey," Brian yawned but he wanted to say good night to Justin. Gus was already asleep.

"How was your day?"

"Gus and I had a great time. We went to the Statue of Liberty in the morning and after the Met, the guys took us to 'Little Italy' for dinner. I need to make a date with the treadmill when I get back."

Justin laughed softly at Brian's comments. "When Bree is older, we should take her to New York."

"It's a date."

"What's on the agenda for tomorrow?"

"The Bronx Zoo."

"Brian Kinney going to the zoo! Will wonders never cease!" Justin laughed.

"Say good night, Sunshine," Brian groused good naturedly.

"Good night, Sunshine." Brian could hear his lover laughing as he cut the connection.