- Text Size +

 

Chapter 14

Over the next few days the deal with Adam Croft appeared to be finalized. All that was left was for Adam to sign on the dotted line and for some reason Adam was hesitating. If Kinnetik didn't close the deal soon, it would be too late to launch the ad and take advantage of the holiday season. Halloween displays were decorating the New York streets. Thanksgiving and Christmas decorations would soon follow. They had to launch soon.

"Why the fuck won't he sign?" Brian muttered to himself. They had had another meeting with Adam and now Adam and his little teenaged partners wanted to drop by for yet another meeting. Brian felt sure Adam Croft was going to drop a bombshell and cancel the whole deal.

"He will sign, Boss, the ad is perfect," Ted pronounced using his most encouraging voice.

"He fucking better or Simon can put a for rent sign on the door." Brian slammed his way out of the main office and into the antechamber that connected the office with the adjoining apartment. The room could be used as an additional office or break room. The bathroom was just off the room and it had a small kitchenette. Through the next door was the attached apartment. It was large by New York standards and given its location, could most likely bring in a few thousand dollars per month rent. It had three large rooms and a huge bathroom. Plus it was on the first floor, no lugging furniture up stairs and down narrow hallways, a gold mine in the city.

"What's wrong?" John asked as he poured himself a large travel mug of coffee.

"It's fucking Adam and his little posse. They won't sign the fucking contract! They like the ad, they said it themselves but they won't fucking sign. It's like they're playing with me and I don't like it," Brian groused around his own mug.

"You never did play well with others." John tried to lighten the mood.

"Well, it's my sandbox and everyone else can go fuck themselves. Maybe they think I'm too old to appreciate their little game. I'm not that old, it's just, I..."

"No, you are definitely not old but you were never the video game type, were you?"

"No, never, even when Mikey and I were kids, I had my mind on other things. And I don't mean fucking," Brian added for good measure. "I needed to study, to learn everything I could to get myself out of the Pitts and now that I'm out, I want to go back."

The brothers were quiet for a moment as John pondered what Brian had told him.

"Brian," John crossed the room and put a supportive hand on his brother's shoulder, "I'm going to make a suggestion and I want you to try to remain objective. Think about this as an executive."

Brian's eyes grew wider then he nodded.

"Why don't you have someone younger make the final pitch?"

"But..."

"Hear me out! You're the boss, the owner. Since when does the owner of a multi-million dollar agency go around pitching his own ads?"

"But this is..."

"No, it's not that different and not even in New York would a man or woman in your position make a pitch like this." Brian took in what John was trying to explain.

"But who? Cynthia and I are about the same age, Ted is older."

"How about Ken?"

"No, he's my age; besides he's an artist. I need someone who can talk numbers and demographics not just color."

"Justin, then, he's been around you long enough. He's smart, very youthful looking, knows about computer games and you can coach him."

"No, not Justin, not that I doubt he could do it but you're right, he does look youthful. Too youthful. You and I know his real age but he does look just as young as Adam and his lackeys. We need someone with experience, someone with sex appeal and someone..."

Brian paused then pulled out his wallet.

"Brian?" John watched with curiosity as Brian rooted around in his wallet for something. Finding it, he motioned for John to follow him back out into the office. Picking up the phone, Brian began punching in some numbers.

"Ted, what time is Adam's appointment?"

"Around three, why?" Brian held up his hand as he was connected to his party.

"Stacey Manning, please. Owen Brenner." Ted and Cynthia stared at Brian with curiosity, John raised that Kinney brow.

"No, it's Brian Kinney. Sorry for the subterfuge. I didn't think it would be wise if word got out that you were speaking with the competition. Are you still interested in that proposal you made me the other day? Can you clear your calendar today, say around two? Excellent. We'll see you then."

Brian hung up the phone.

"Brian, what are you planning?" Cynthia demanded to know.

"Don't get your panties in a twist and you can blame it all on John if this doesn't work."

"ME?! Don't get me involved. I have no idea what you're talking about," John protested.

"You're the one who brought it up, big bro."

"What?!" Cynthia, Ted and John said all at once.

"When I stormed out a few minutes ago, I wanted to know why Adam and his flunkies are so hesitant to sign the contract. We know the ad is perfect and they know it too. But the stubborn little shit just won't sign. John overheard me..."

"Like I couldn't help but hear you," John snarked.

"But he did point out a few things to me. First off, when was the last time I made a pitch personally. I mean I'm there most of the time when we sign the deal but lately it's been you guys that have done all the pitching, or all the other ad execs. And then there is one thing that I hate to admit; we are old enough to be Adam's parents. I know about computer games and shit like that but it's never been my thing even when I was younger. I was never into stuff like that. Were any of you?"

John, Ted and Cynthia all shook their heads, no.

"I had my head filled with numbers," Ted mumbled.

"Advertising was all I wanted to do; break that glass ceiling. I wanted my own agency," Cynthia admitted out loud. Brian moved to her side.

"Did I prevent you from reaching your goal?"

"No, Brian, I realized a long time ago that my talents lay elsewhere. I've never regretted my decision to remain with you and Kinnetik. This is where I belong. We've made, still are making, our own history and I'm proud of it." Cynthia gave her boss and business partner a hug.

"Don't look at me!" John declared with a laugh. "I'm happy pounding nails into a board! But what are you getting at, Brian?"

"You said it yourself, since when does the owner of a multi-million dollar company pitch his own ads? And you're right we do need someone younger but not too young. Adam doesn't want to hear how good we are from a parental figure. He's hard wired to reject anything an adult may suggest especially if it's good for him. And he's not going to listen to another kid. He has his buddies throwing shit at him all the time. If he was listening to them, he wouldn't have sought us out. No, we need someone who looks like they understand and like these games and knows their shit around advertising. Someone who's good enough to work for Kennedy and Collins."

"Stacey Manning!" Ted and Cynthia said in unison. Brian nodded in agreement.

"This is my plan..." Ted, Cynthia and John huddled around Brian as he put forth his plan of attack. They called for Ken to join them and the battle lines were drawn in the sand.

Precisely at two, Stacey Manning walked into Kinnetik N'rgy. She was immediately descended upon by Brian who, in his best seductive tone, filled in the young ad exec regarding his plan. Stacey's eyes immediately took on the gleam of an ad exec ready to make a kill. She had that hungry but exhilarated look that Brian knew oh so very well. Brian knew his plan was going to work. Ted was already counting the millions in his head and Cynthia relished seeing Brian back in form. John had little to do with it all other than helping Brian with some last minute moving of furniture in the antechamber. Brian decided to use that room to make their final stand. Ken's job was to stand there, look sweet, and answer any questions in regards to the ad itself. At around three fifteen, Adam and his flunkies walked in.

"May I help you, gentlemen?" Cynthia asked in her most professional tone.

"Adam Croft to see Brian Kinney. Sorry we're late, traffic." Adam was hoping to see Brian and his people sweat. He enjoyed toying with Brian. Adam's friends were giggling in the background.

"I'm sorry but Mr. Kinney's meeting with another client is running late. He sent his apologies but our junior exec, Ms. Manning, will be happy to go over the final details with you." Cynthia made it a point to stress the word junior and she ignored the lewd remarks Adam's friends were making about her. Cynthia was a very pretty woman. She showed Adam and his posse into the antechamber.

"Stacey Manning, Adam Croft and his associates. I'll leave you to it," Cynthia said as she backed out of the room. A few seconds later Brian popped his head into the main office.

"Are they in there?" Brian whispered.

"Yes, I just introduced them to Stacey. Now get out of here and wait for your cue." Cynthia made some shooing motions with her hands. Brian went back out into the hall then into the adjoining apartment via a second entrance. John and Ken were in the apartment waiting.

"Are they here?" Ken asked. There were several rooms in between the antechamber and themselves but he kept his tone low.

"Yeah, Cynthia just let them in, Stacey's with them now."

"Good. Let's get you looking the part." Ken began to fuss at Brian's suit. Brian began to swat at Ken's hands like he would at Emmett's.

"What are you doing?" Brian groused as John snorted out a giggle.

"Trying to make you look like New York," Ken answered undeterred by Brian.

"What the fuck are you talking about?"

"Brian, your suit reeks of money but you have to be casual about it, now let me work!" Brian sighed. Ken reminded him of Emmett and Brian had a big soft spot for that queen. It appeared that Brian had a soft spot for Kenneth Mann-Greene too.

Brian turned himself over to Ken.

*****

"Do you like what you see?"

"What?" Adam was thrown off by Stacey's question.

"The ad, do you like it? Here are the demographics amassed by the test audience." Stacey handed out folders to Adam and his friends, not that they bothered to read any of it. Stacey was wondering if they could read at all.

The room had been transformed into a conference room with a suitable table and chairs in the middle and Adam's ad on one side. On the other side stood the easels that held the ads that Ted and Cynthia were working on. You could tell there was artwork under the protective covering. Stacey was flirtatious but professional, formal but able to put Adam at ease and she knew all about his computer game.

"I'm still not sure..." Adam was disappointed that Stacey wasn't falling for the tactics that worked on Brian. Ted, up till now was quietly taking notes. No one really paid him much attention and he went unnoticed when he slipped from the room into the apartment.

"How's it going?" Brian asked Ted as he walked into the room that would eventually be the bedroom.

"The kid's still holding out. Stacey's dynamite; she just about has him, but I don't know." Ted was just as perplexed as Brian.

"Does it have anything to do with the artwork?" Ken asked.

"I don't think so. Adam's just acting like a spoiled brat," Ted explained.

"A spoiled brat, huh. I think I know how to handle a spoiled brat."

Brian strode into the bathroom, there was a full length mirror on the back of the door. He had to admit, Ken was right. Ken had gotten rid of Brian's tie, undid a few buttons on the shirt and let his cuffs hang lower than his jacket. He would have untucked the shirt altogether but Ken decided that Brian's ass was too pretty to hide under a shirt. The glimpses of it from just under his jacket were good enough.

Brian grabbed his attaché case then went to the apartment door. He had Ted make sure the coast was clear then sent Ted back into the conference room through the connecting door. Brian fucking Kinney would take no prisoners.

Brian sauntered into the main office of Kinnetik N'rgy like he owned the place. He gave Cynthia a wink then stormed into the conference room.

"Gentlemen and Lady! Sorry to be late but you know how that goes." Brian slammed his briefcase onto the table for effect. "So, what have I missed?" Brian gave Adam's hand a seductive squeeze, totally ignored the posse then gave Stacey's cheek a gentle swipe of his finger.

"I believe we were just about to close the deal," Stacey stated with confidence. Inwardly she wasn't sure. These 'boys' weren't like any of the clients she was used to.

Ted began to pass out copies of the contracts, hoping they would be signed today.

"So are we ready?" Brian pulled out a pen and passed it to Adam.

"Um, I'm not so sure," Adam began stammering.

"Oh? Didn't you have your attorney look over the contract we faxed you?" Brian said in almost an accusatory tone.

"Yes, he said it was all good," Adam affirmed.

"Then what's the problem? You've seen the numbers; you already have a solid fan base. This campaign will push your numbers in the right direction so your backers will fork over the money for full production. I repeat, what's the problem?"

Adam's nerve began to falter. He wanted to make Brian sweat a little longer but it wasn't working and he was going to make a fool of himself in front of his friends.

"I, um..."

"Adam, would your associates excuse us for a few moments, unless you need them to co-sign your contract." Brian sensed that Adam did not want to be embarrassed in front of his friends.

"Sure, Adam, we'll go wait at the diner. We're kind of bored anyway," one of Adam's friends said and then they were out of the office in a flash.

As Adam's posse left the room, Brian stood up to remove his jacket.

"Well, Mr. Croft, it's just you and me." Brian deliberately ignored Stacey and Ted and he took no notice of the adjoining door opening just a crack.

"I'm not sure what you mean." Adam was losing his nerve rather quickly now.

"Sure you do. I'm sure you have better things to do than play cat and mouse with me. We're both too old for these games. And I have several other clients who all want and appreciate my time. So, you've looked over our ad and your lawyer gave his stamp of approval regarding our contract, so stop acting like a spoiled brat. Either sign or get out. I can just as easily tear this thing up as I can stick it in a computer rag." Brian walked over to the foam core board and looked as if he was going to smash it over his knee.

"Wait! I'll sign!" Adam took the pen and scrawled his name. Then Brian signed where Ted indicated. Stacey and Cynthia began scurrying around the room for phones.

"About fucking time, kid. Any longer and we would have lost a whole month's worth of print and air time."

"What? I don't understand."

"The first set of holiday ads is about to run in that computer mag you've been walking around with and we were able to make a sweet deal for air time on your local cable station." Brian paused to bellow for Cynthia.

"Cynthia! Did we get it?"

"Yeah, Boss, just in time too. They're just about going to print now," Cynthia called in from the outer office. She was on the phone with the magazine.

"Stacey?" Brian turned to look at Stacey Manning. She held up her hand, nodded and grunted a few times into the phone then gave Brian the thumbs up. She hung up the phone then lit the room with an ear to ear grin.

"The first ad runs tonight and...can I tell him?" Stacey looked to Brian for approval and got it. "We got you a Google spot for your website." Stacey was very proud of that coup.

"No shit?!" Adam exclaimed.

"No shit, that's what you get when you don't dick around with the big boys. Now go back to Brooklyn and let us take care of everything. That's what you're paying us for," Brian said smugly.

"But I'm not paying you yet."

"You will be, we'll be getting 10% off the top before taxes. Now out before your ruffian friends terrorize the neighborhood," Brian said with a little wink. Adam smiled then politely shook everyone's hands.

"I'll be in touch," Adam said as he grabbed his jacket, Brian walked him out to the street.

"We did it!" Brian yelled as he strode back into N'rgy. He twirled Cynthia around then picked up Stacey to swing her around. Ted slapped Brian on the back. John wore a smug look as if to say he knew it all the time and Ken was so happy he had tears in his eyes.

"This calls for a celebration!" Brian rummaged through his desk for a bottle of wine or something.

"Um, Mr. Kinney," Stacey began. She had gone back into the conference room to take a peek at the other ads.

"What?" Brian called out as he found a bottle of Merlot.

"Can I make another suggestion?"