- Text Size +

 

Chapter 17

Brian watched as Briana worked her own brand of magic on her Daddy. As Justin began to mix her paints to the desired shade of pink to match the small stone Bree had found, the tension slowly began to dissipate from Justin's body.



"Justin, I'm going down to the corner store to get us some lunch. Will you be okay?" Brian asked softly. He saw Justin nod so Brian put on his jacket to leave.

"Dada?"

"Yes, Squirt."

"I take care of Daddy for you," Bree said with the wisdom of a child ten times her age. Brian crossed over to her easel then crouched in front of his daughter.

"I know you will, Squirt. I'll be back soon with something good for your tummy. You be good for Daddy."

"I will," Bree said with her sunniest smile. Brian kissed his little girl, then Justin, and went out.

The corner store was not quite a supermarket but more than just a deli. Brian was able to purchase sandwiches, several cartons of hot, comforting soup, juice for Bree and coffee for himself and Justin. He was also able to buy other little necessities Justin would need as he spent more time in his temporary studio. At least Brian hoped Justin would spend more time in the studio. Even though the contract with Adam was signed there was still a lot of work to be done before Brian could turn N'rgy over to Stacey. They'd have to stay in New York a little while longer.

As Brian was ready to leave the store laden with his bags he saw rows and rows of fresh cut flowers all in buckets tiered along the sidewalk near the entrance to the store.

"Excuse me, could I buy those flowers, please?" Brian pointed to batch of purple-blue irises. They reminded Brian of the irises that Van Gogh painted. The clerk immediately jumped to help Brian. After all, Brian had just made the biggest purchase of his day. It was the least he could do. Brian was running out of hands so the manager had his delivery boy assist Brian around the corner and up to the studio.

"Hey, Sunshine!" Brian shouted at the door. "A little help would be nice."

"Brian, what did you buy?" Justin asked as he opened the door to see Brian standing with a bucket of flowers and the delivery boy waiting just behind him. They got all the bags into the studio, Brian laid a big tip on the kid and sent him happily on his way. "What's all this?" Justin asked. As he rooted around in the bags, the smell of strong hot coffee assaulted his nose.

"Lunch. There are sandwiches and soup, juice for Miss Squirt and coffee for us. Oh, and some essentials for that closet they call a bathroom."

"Pretty, Dada!" Briana zoned in on the bucket of irises.

"Flowers, Brian? Since when do you buy me flowers?" Brian winced at all the 'shoulda, woulda, couldas' of his past sins. Justin was observant enough to see the glimpse of regret on Brian's face. Justin gave Bree her sandwich and juice then went to his spouse.

"They're beautiful, Brian, thank you." Justin leaned up to kiss Brian's lips.

"I thought they could cheer you up. Maybe you'd paint them for me. They look like the ones Van Gogh painted," Brian whispered pensively as he leaned his forehead against Justin's. Brian wanted to take away Justin's pain.

"They do cheer me up and after lunch I'll paint them, for you. Just for you, if you and Bree will model for me." Justin looked up into Brian's eyes. He saw all the love he ever wanted or needed reflected in the deep hazel eyes. "Let's eat our lunch," Justin said gently. Brian and Justin sat next to Bree at the little table to have their lunch.

Briana's full tummy made the child sleepy so Brian made her comfortable on the futon. Brian cuddled the child onto his chest. He was feeling tired too. He was too worried last night to get a good night's sleep. Justin cleaned up their garbage and took it to the garbage chute outside in the hall. When he returned Brian and Bree were fast asleep. Justin stopped to gaze at them. They looked so peaceful, so beautiful, his heart was bursting. He took out another canvas and set it up on the easel.

"Hey," Justin gently shook Brian awake. It was growing dark in the studio. Brian and Bree had slept for most of the afternoon.

"Hey, yourself," Brian stretched. "How long were we out?"

"A few hours."

"Shit, Bree won't sleep tonight."

"I think she will. We can rent some movies for her; it'll be okay." Justin punctuated his statement with a kiss to Brian's nose.

"Pee pee, Daddy," Bree stretched her little body on her Dada's. Justin lifted Briana off of Brian to bring her into the bathroom.

Brian sat up and scrubbed at his eyes. He lit the small lamp in the corner of the room and immediately saw Justin's latest work. Brian and Bree were laying in a field of irises sleeping peacefully. In the foreground was a small reflecting pond surrounded by a bevy of pink pebbles in a myriad of shades of pink. The painting was so beautiful, done from Justin's heart, that it took Brian's breath away.

"Do you like it?"

"God, Justin, it's so, so...I don't have the words to describe it. Beautiful just isn't enough."

"Pretty, Daddy!" Bree added her own opinion.

"Very, pretty!" Brian affirmed as he kissed Justin's lips. "Let's go back to the hotel." They packed up, locked up the studio and went back to the hotel.

*****

"They asleep?" John asked Brian. The brothers were relaxing on the sofa watching the ten o'clock news.

"Yes, both out for the count."

"Can you handle another suggestion?"

"I think so. Lately all of your suggestions have been right on the money."

"Why don't you call Joan?"

"Joan?"

"Yes, Joan, thin, grey haired woman, recently ensconced into your family," John snarked with a laugh in his voice.

"I know who Joan is but why should I call her?" John thumped Brian on the head before going to his own room for the night. Brian stared at his brother's back as he walked out of the room then the proverbial light shone over Brian's head. He pulled out his phone.

"Mom? Did I wake you? Can I ask you for a big favor? A very big favor. Have you ever considered visiting New York?

*****

The following afternoon Brian, Justin and Bree were at La Guardia waiting for Joan's plane to disembark. Brian's mother had been somewhat hesitant to acquiesce to Brian's request to come to New York. She had not done much traveling and the thoughts of being in the huge city of New York frightened her quite a bit.

But then Brian had explained that they needed someone to take care of Briana while Brian and Justin were working, and she knew that she couldn't refuse. The chance to spend several days with her precious granddaughter was just too tempting. It overrode all her fears.

The only thing she had requested was that Brian meet her at the airport since she felt she would be overwhelmed trying to get her bags and find a taxi and all the hustle and bustle.

"Mother," Brian called as he saw Joan come out the door dragging her suitcase behind her.

"Oh, Brian, I'm so glad you're here," Joan said rather breathlessly as Brian took the suitcase from her and kissed her cheek.

"Justin and Bree are over there," Brian said indicating the direction they should move.

Joan linked her arm through Brian's, walking proudly beside her handsome son as they made their way over to Justin. He was holding Bree by the hand. When the little girl saw her grandmother she tugged on Justin's arm until he let her go. She made a beeline for Joan.

"Gamma, Gamma!" she called as she threw herself into Joan's arms.

Joan had bent down to kiss her granddaughter. The smile on her face was radiant. "It's so nice to have someone be so excited to see me," she cooed to Bree.

"Love you, Gamma Joan."

"Love you too, sweetheart," Joan said giving her another kiss before straightening up slowly.

"What are we, chopped liver?" Brian asked with a smirk. "I thought I showed you that I was glad to see you."

"Oh, Brian, you did, but there's nothing like this little one to make me feel ten years younger and a lifetime happier."

"Then that's a good thing," Brian said with his crooked smile. He squeezed Joan's arm. "We appreciate you coming all this way to help us."

"I'm pleased you thought to ask me," Joan said with a smile. "Justin, how are you, dear?"

"Just fine, Joan. Let me add my thanks to Brian's."

"You don't have to thank me, Justin. I decided that this would be an adventure in the big city, and I wanted to do it. And I get to spend a lot of time with this sweet little one." Joan bent over and chucked Bree's chin. The little girl giggled.

"Well, shall we get this show on the road?" Brian asked. He led them to the parking facility where John's SUV was parked. They had decided that that would be the best way for all of them to meet Joan and bring her back to the hotel.

Joan sat in the back with Bree and pulled a little stuffed rabbit out of her purse. This is for you," she said as she handed it to Bree in her booster seat.

Bree giggled and hugged the soft little critter to her chest.

"Mother, I've arranged for a hotel room down the hall from us, or … you could stay in Bree's room, if that would suit you better. There are twin beds in there."

"Oh," Joan said startled by the proposition. She had just assumed that they had some kind of apartment. She hadn't realized they were living in a hotel. "If I'm going to be looking after Bree, then I think it makes most sense for me to stay with her. Is that all right with you, Bree?"

"Share," Bree said smugly. Gamma Joan, I share."

Brian and Justin had to laugh. All their work on sharing that they had done with Bree couldn't have come to better fruition.

"Then Bree's room, it is," Brian declared. He looked over at Justin. They had wondered how Joan would handle this. It was going to be interesting living in such close proximity with Joan Kinney over the next while. Neither of them was sure that they had made a good decision. However, Joan was tickling Bree in the back seat and seemed totally okay with the whole situation.

When they arrived at the hotel, Joan wanted to lie down for a bit, and it was time for Bree's nap. Justin and Brian helped the two get settled in Bree's room and then shut the door so they could rest.

"I hope this will work," Justin said. "I really was prepared to give up painting, you know."

"I know. I heard the determination in your voice," Brian replied. "But you need to paint, and I think Joan is looking forward to spending time with Bree. It'll be good for both of them."

"I hope so," Justin said. "Are you sure you're all right with having her here?"

"She didn't freak out about staying in the suite with us … and I did give her the option of her own room."

"That didn't answer my question. How do you feel about having her here so close?"

Brian shrugged. "I guess I'm all right with it. It's for the best right now."

"You do so much for me, Brian. How can I ever thank you … for not blaming me for what happened to Bree, and for bringing your mother here so I can paint without worrying about our daughter."

"I love you, Sunshine. That's all that matters. I want you to be happy."

Justin let out a large and very fake yawn. "I suddenly feel like a nap myself," Justin said with a grin.

"Is that right?"

"Yep, and I could use some company."

"Does the bedroom door have a lock on it?" Brian asked.

"I think so. Why?"

"We better use it."

"Huh?"

"My mother knowing we're gay, and her actually seeing a demonstration, are two vastly different things. If you get my drift…"

"Eiw, Brian. Let's check that lock and then you can show me how much you love me."

"That's a deal, Sunshine."

They went into their bedroom making sure the door locked behind them.

The next day Brian went off to work at N'rgy with John while Joan and Justin were finishing up breakfast with Bree. Justin was still marveling that his daughter seemed to have no ill effects from eating the paint. She was happy and hungry and seemingly unafraid.

"Justin, is something wrong?" Joan asked as she watched Justin watch his daughter eat the last of her breakfast.

"How much did Brian tell you?" Justin asked.

"Tell me? About what?"

"About why we needed you here."

"He just said that you both wanted to work and so someone needed to be with Bree." Joan wondered what Justin was getting at. She watched his face cloud over at her words. "What is it, Justin?"

"I've rented a studio so that I can paint while I'm here in New York."

"That's good," Joan said. "You should be able to paint while you're here."

"Yeah," Justin grimaced. "Only one problem."

"What's that?"

"When I paint I sometimes get so wrapped up in what I'm doing that I forget where I am."

Joan frowned. "And why is that a problem. It must mean that you are concentrating fully."

"Yeah, to the exclusion of everything else."

Joan shook her head. "I don't understand."

"Bree has been coming with me to the studio. She likes to paint too."

"I've seen some of her masterpieces," Joan smiled. "I think she has a bright future as an artist."

"Yeah."

"I still don't see…" And then the light began to dawn. "You concentrate so hard on what you're doing that you forget about Bree."

"Right the first time," Justin said feeling like the piece of shit he knew he was.

"Did something happen with Bree?"

Justin nodded his head. "She ate some paint and we had to take her to Emergency. I thought she might…" Justin couldn't finish that sentence.

"Oh, my goodness. I had no idea."

"I thought Brian would have warned you."

"No, he didn't say anything, but you shouldn't blame yourself so much. Children get into everything. Heaven knows, Brian was always finding something that he wasn't supposed to have or doing something he wasn't supposed to do. That's what children do."

Justin looked at her. He couldn't believe this was Joan Kinney talking to him. He had expected her to call down the wrath of God on him, and he would have deserved it. But here she was making excuses for him just like John and Brian had done.

"Justin, I'm happy to be here and to help with Bree. Then you can fully concentrate on producing your wonderful artwork."

"You think it's wonderful?" Justin asked. He'd always thought she disapproved of his work on some level.

"I admit that I don't understand abstract art at all," Joan said. "But your portraits of Brian and Bree and others are just wonderful. The abstract pieces are powerful. Even I can feel that. They're just not my cup of tea."

Justin smiled. "I think that's about the nicest thing you could have ever said to me."

"Then I'm glad I said it," Joan smiled. She leaned towards him and kissed his cheek.

Justin felt like he had finally been given Joan Kinney's seal of approval. He beamed back at her. "I appreciate that so much, Joan."

"Whatever happened with Briana, she's none the worse for wear. Look at her shoveling in those Cheerios."

"Cheewios," she said with a big smile.

"Cheerios, sweetheart," Justin said to her.

"Cheerios," she repeated. "We paint today?"

"I … um, maybe Grandma Joan would rather take you to the park," Justin said. He didn't think Joan would find his studio very comfortable.

"I'd love to see your studio, and if Bree wants to paint…"

"Yay, paint," Bree squealed.

"Okay," Justin gave in. "Let's get ready."

Before long they arrived at the building housing Justin's studio space. As they got out of the taxi, Joan looked around and noted a little park area down the street.

"Does Briana ever go to that park?" Joan asked.

"Oh yeah, just about every day. She loves it there. She found a pretty pink pebble there just recently, didn't you, sweetheart?"

"Pebble," Bree said with her sunshine smile.

"Well, let's get inside so I can see this studio. Maybe Briana and I can go to the park later today."

"That's a good idea. There's a little deli down that way where we can get lunch and other things we might need," Justin said pointing out some of the things in the neighborhood.

They made their way inside and Justin showed Joan his space. She noted the pink blobs that Briana had painted at her little easel, and the striking gold tinted canvas that stood on the big easel.

"This is the kind of thing I don't understand," Joan said looking at Justin's painting. "But it's very beautiful."

"Thank you," Justin smiled. "Do you by any chance know Van Gogh's painting called 'Starry Night'?"

"Why yes I do," Joan replied. She looked at the painting on the easel. "Oh my, I see what you've done. That's very clever."

Justin beamed. "Thanks."

"And it really is beautiful."

"Bootiful," Bree agreed. "Paint now, Daddy."

Joan laughed. "She certainly is persistent."

"Some people would say she gets that from me," Justin laughed.

"And that can be a very good thing," Joan replied.

Maybe having Joan here with them wasn't going to be such a tricky thing after all. Justin got out Bree's T-shirt so she could paint.

"Maybe one of these days you'd like to try your hand at painting, Joan."

"Oh my, I don't think so."

"I show you, Gamma," Bree piped up.

"Thank you, dear, but I don't think I'm much of an artist."

"I share," Bree said holding her paint brush out to her grandmother.