- Text Size +

 

Chapter 18

Life in New York appeared to be becoming more routine and less dramatic. So much less dramatic that Brian sent Cynthia back home to the Pitts and back to Kinnetik. The main branch had been without a captain for far too long. Ted elected to stay in New York with Brian. Stacey had given notice to Kennedy and Collins and to her roommates, but it would still be a couple more weeks until she totally took over. Ken was having the time of his life. He was at N'rgy's beck and call and he absolutely loved it. Simon was reaping some of the rewards of having a very excited partner to come home to. Even the boys could see the difference. Briana had her appointment at the clinic and she was pronounced fit as a fid...guitar, ahem.

Justin was a lot more at ease with himself and with Bree now that Joan was there. Who'd a thunk it that Justin and Brian were actually happy to have Joan around? New York still intimidated her but, she like Brian, was good at hiding her fears. She faced them daily and triumphed over them. Each day they'd go to the studio with Justin then after lunch Joan and Bree would leave Justin to his art while they took in the city's culture. Joan had her little map, all the cab fare she ever needed, provided by Brian, and she and Bree were off to daily adventures. They visited every museum, went to the Empire State Building and even took the Circle Line tour around the whole of Manhattan Island. Brian had purchased a cell phone for Joan's use, programming all the numbers she'd need in case of an emergency or if Bree needed to speak with her fathers.

"Look, Gamma! Hello-een!" Bree pointed to a very decorated store front.

"Halloween, dear and yes, I think it's Halloween this Saturday."

"I want to be a princess. A princess in a long pink dress and a crown and a white cape and get lots and lots of candy and, and...what are you going to be, Gamma?"

"Maybe I can be your fairy godmother. Every princess needs a fairy godmother."

"Like Cinda-elly?"

"Cinderella, yes, just like her." Briana became silent for a moment, the little wheels in her head were turning. Joan valiantly hid her laughter.

"You be my fairy godmother!" Briana stated with confidence.

"Then it's settled; we better go tell your fathers about our plan. We need new dresses."

"Oooo! Shopping! Gamma Joan, we need Auntie Emm. He does good shopping."

"Hmm, I do believe you're right." Joan hailed a cab and directed the driver to N'rgy.

"Mother? Is everything okay?" Brian asked as Joan and Bree entered the office.

"We're fine, Brian. But Briana and I have something important to discuss with you," Joan said sternly but with a twinkle in her eye. Brian looked at Ted who shrugged then made himself scarce into the conference room. He motioned to John and the two of them hid behind the door.

"What's going on?" John whispered.

"I have no idea, but Joan Kinney just came in and she looks mean."

"Mean? What do you mean by 'mean'?"

"I don't know but I think we'll find out." John and Ted inched the door open to listen.

"Brian, do you know what Saturday is?"

"Um, the 31st?"

"Yes, dear, October the 31st. And do you know the significance of that date?"

"Uh, the last day of the month?"

"Oh for heaven's sake, Brian, it's..."

"Halloween, Dada!"

"Oh, that October 31st. And why should that concern me?" Brian was getting with the program but thought he'd have a little fun. He could almost see Bree and Joan stamping their feet in frustration.

"Brian, dear, in Pittsburgh, as I recall, on that date young people dress up and go Trick or Treating. Don't they do the same in New York?"

"I believe they follow the same tradition here."

"So what are you going to do about it?"

"I hadn't given it much thought, we don't know many people here. But I think I heard Ken mention something about their local GLC doing a Halloween party."

"Well then, we don't have much time. Briana suggested we call her Auntie Emm to help."

"She did, did she?" Brian arched his brow at his daughter who squirmed then hid behind Joan's coat.

"Well?" Joan looked at her son with her own death glare. Brian saw the determination in his mother's eyes, and along with it, lots of love.

"Well, I guess I had better make a call to Auntie Emm."

"YAY!" Bree cried out as she began to jump around.

"Shh, Bree, your Dada has to make a very important phone call."

Bree stood still and waited for Brian to make his call.

"Emmett? Yes, it's Brian. What are you and Drew doing tomorrow? Cancel it. I need you two here in New York. Don't worry about the hotel arrangements. You let me take care of that. I need you and your man here, pronto. Why? There's a little girl and her Grandma Joan who need to be outfitted for Halloween." Brian held the phone away from his ear as Emmett squealed with delight. After Emmett calmed, Brian took the chance and held the phone close to his ear again.

"Emmett, I don't how. You just get here. We need you. Okay, see you tomorrow. Bye, Emm. Done deal, ladies. Now if this meeting is adjourned, I do have a business to run."

Emmett and Drew arrived the next afternoon. They had two days to get the Kinney-Taylor family properly outfitted for Halloween. Emmett also brought a surprise for the family, Bobby and Patrick. Bobby had promised Patrick's teachers that all of Patrick's homework would be completed and he would be back in school Monday morning. And since Patrick was taking an impromptu holiday, he had to write a report about Halloween in New York.

*****

"You do know we have a Halloween parade every year?" Ken asked of Emmett. "It's almost a bigger event than Pride weekend."

"Oh I know, honey, Liberty has its own version but not nearly as grand as the Big Apple," Emmett gushed.

"Well then, I think that means the whole family should be involved, don't you?" Ken asked his kindred spirit.

"I agree but I don't think I can convince Brian to get dressed up. He hates that sort of thing. Besides the last time I tried to get him to dress up in a costume he nearly bit my head off."

"Do tell." Ken was treated to the story of the Honey Bear's Valentine Drag Show. "But that was then and this is now. And now Brian has a little girl. I bet Justin can get his majesty to dress up." Ken winked at Emmett.

"Hmmm..."

*****

Halloween night down in the Village was indeed a grand affair. Streets were barricaded, New York's finest was out in force to keep the peace and the whole city was crammed into a few square city blocks to celebrate. Anyone in costume was welcomed to march.

Emmett found the perfect pink princess outfit for her ladyship and a dignified fairy godmother outfit for Joan complete with warm undergarments so they wouldn't need to bundle up and hide under thick coats.

Patrick decided to be a swashbuckling pirate. His dads joined in becoming his loyal shipmates and fellow pirates. That left Emmett to cope with Brian.

"Brian, you have to join in," Emmett pleaded.

"I don't have to do anything. We can watch from the sidelines," Brian stated like a petulant child.

"No, you have to walk with Bree," Emmett insisted.

"All I have to do is pay the bills," Brian growled back.

"You are the most stubborn man in the whole world. Do you know that?!" Emmett stomped away.

"Your point," Brian groused as he got himself a beer from the mini bar in their suite.

"You talk to him," Emmett grumbled at Justin. "He's your partner." Emmett left the suite with a slam of the door. Brian glared at Justin daring him to say something.

"Don't look at me like that. I don't want to dress up either," Justin said nonchalantly.

"You don't?" Brian was sure that Justin was going to use his best convincing techniques on him.

"Nope. I'm happy to watch. Besides John and Bobby will be there with Patrick. They can march with Bree and Joan. They don't need us." Justin took a sip from Brian's beer and sat next to his spouse.

"That's right. I mean it's not like we won't be there. We can find a spot somewhere down the street and wait for them."

"True and I can give my camera to John or Bobby. They'll be happy to take pictures of Bree. I'm sure she'll be a crowd pleaser. I just hope she..." Justin paused for effect.

"She what?"

"Well, it's going to be very crowded. I overheard Ken saying that people come from all across the country to be here on Halloween. I don't want Bree to get frightened. What if she gets separated? On second thought, maybe we should just stay here. The concierge said that they have safe snacks for the kids."

"Snacks! What the hell kind of Halloween is that? Snacks? There should be candy. It's not like she eats junk every day. This is one day out of the fucking year. If we were home, Bree and Patrick would score enough candy for the whole year. Snacks!" Brian made a gagging noise. They stayed quiet as Justin took another sip of beer.

"Um, Jus, did you have a costume in mind. I mean if you were going to march, what were you thinking of going as?" Brian asked casually.

"I really didn't give it much thought but I did have a fleeting idea of going as JT in the wedding issue. You know, dressed in a white tux. I thought maybe John could be Rage."

"John? My John, my brother John?" Brian's voice rose up two octaves and his eyebrows were nearly lost into his hair line. "Why John?"

"First off, I didn't know Bobby and Patrick were coming and I knew you wouldn't want to be Rage, and John looks so much like you, so I was going to ask him."

"My brother as Rage, huh? And he was going to do it?" Justin didn't answer. He just gave Brian a little shrug and a crooked smile. "Did you get him a costume?"

"It's not so much a costume as an attitude. John could never be the real Rage..."

"Like he ever could be, there's only one Rage."

"True, but I thought he could pull it off. Tight black leather pants, the mask, oh a shirt with that Rage slash cut in front." Justin made a slicing motion over his chest. "It's kinda cold out so I thought maybe a tan long sleeved t-shirt under it."

"It's not that cold but I guess that could work." Brian got up and went to get them another beer. "John as Rage." Justin heard Brian mumble from behind him. "I am Briana's Dada, I should be there and John is going to be busy with Bobby and Patrick."

Justin let Brian prattle on, knowing that Brian was doing a good job of convincing himself to be a part of the Halloween festivities. It was all a matter of time and Justin didn't get his reputation for being tenacious for nothing.

Brian handed Justin the beer then sat back down next to him.

"Um, Justin, can I see the shirt?" Brian asked hesitantly, he didn't want to appear too eager.

"What shirt?"

"The Rage shirt."

"Oh, sure." Justin reached over the end of the sofa for a large garment bag that happened to be conveniently laying there. "It's in here, with my tux. And your pants are in there too."

Justin handed the bag to Brian.

"They just happen to be there, eh, Sunshine?" Brian's brain began to kick in. He gave Justin one of his best death glares only to get one of Justin's most innocent looks in return. Brian pulled out the pants and Rage shirt which were coincidentally in his size.

"I think I've been had," Brian snarked.

"Not yet but you will be, especially if you model that in our room." Justin waggled his eyebrows at Brian.

"When did you get so devious?" Brian pulled Justin close, kissing the younger man senseless.

"The day I met you," Justin confirmed then kissed Brian back, hard.

"I think we should adjourn this meeting to our room. Rage needs his restorative bed and JT to make love to him."

"JT will be very happy to oblige."

"I thought he might." Rage and JT retired for the night.

*****

Halloween night and the gods were shining down upon the city. The weather decided to cooperate. It was still warm enough to make the need for a coat unnecessary. The heavy underwear would keep everyone toasty. The family decided to meet together at Simon and Ken's apartment to change into costume and primp before heading to the parade route. Allen had flown in for the weekend to spend the time with Ted. Ken and Simon were volunteering at their chapter of the GLC where Kinney and company were to join them after the parade. The boys were going to spend some time at the parade with their friends then also go to the GLC to help out. Patrick made the cutest pirate ever known to man with his flaming red hair sticking out from under his hat. John and Bobby made a rather dashing pair of swashbucklers complete with swords and matching eye patches.

"How do I look, Briana?" Joan was wearing a long white gown that sparkled with glitter and sequins. She had a wand that glittered with silver, and white satin opera gloves. The dress reminded her a bit of her grandmother's wedding dress.

"Pretty!" Briana exclaimed. "You make the best fairy godmother."

"Thank you, Miss Briana, and you are the most adorable princess I have ever seen."

Emmett had outdone himself. Briana was wearing a pink gown studded with pink and gold sequins. She wore a golden tiara and a long white fake fur cape. She was wearing thick pink tights to keep her little legs warm. Instead of fancy shoes, Emmett found Bree shiny pink high top sneakers that were laced with ribbon. Emmett declared Briana to be a princess with 'tude'! Briana delighted in modeling her outfit for anyone and everyone.

Emmett had decided to be 'Piero', dressed in sparkling white with a large feathered headpiece. Drew dragged his old football jersey out of mothballs to wear. They made an unusual pair but somehow they fit together.

Justin came out of the den dressed to the nines in his simple white tux. He made a beautiful bridegroom complete with ruffled shirt and carnation in his lapel.

"Um, Justin who are you supposed to be?" Emmett asked. He had been so caught up with getting everyone else's costumes right that he didn't think about Justin.

"Wait for Brian, then I think you'll know," Justin said smugly.

Brian came out in his leather pants and shirt. The tan shirt under his Rage shirt was form fitting so you barely knew it was there. The slash in the black shirt gave the appearance of glimpsing skin underneath.

"I'm still not sure, Brian looks like he always does," Emmett was perplexed, then Brian whipped out the Rage mask and put it on.

"Well, I'll be damned! It's Rage and JT! Perfect! Fabulously perfect!" Emmett gushed.

It took several cabs to get them all to the parade site but they managed. New York's Greenwich Village was in for a treat, Rage was there!

The streets were very crowded and the younger members of the family were a bit overwhelmed. Joan had a strong grip on Briana's hand as they walked just behind Brian and Justin. They were followed by John, Patrick and Bobby with Drew and Emmett bringing up the rear. Emmett was in heaven. Here in the Village his full flames were allowed to burn brightly and he relished the opportunity. He was also delighted that several football fans recognized Drew and asked for his autograph which Drew very happily gave. Rage also had a following, literally. Several young men recognized the gay superhero and begged for his autograph too. Somehow the word had gotten out that Rage might make an appearance and his followers had copies of the comic for the superhero and JT to sign.

"What do I do, Sunshine?" Brian couldn't believe that anyone wanted his autograph.

"Sign it Rage, Brian," Justin instructed. Brian shrugged then gave the autograph hounds his best Rageian glare and signed. The fans went wild and cheered. After about an hour, the kids were growing tired so the family went to the GLC.

*****

"Brian, Drew, there are several reporters here. They'd like to interview you both." Simon gestured to the news reporters who were assigned to this year's parade. When they realized there were true celebrities in their midst they couldn't resist seeking them out for a scoop. Drew had no problem speaking with reporters. He had done that for most of his football career and he still was affiliated with the team. Brian, on the other hand, wanted to shrink into the woodwork. He sought out his JT for support.

"Justin, I'm not famous, I don't deserve all this attention."

"Maybe not, but Rage does, and you are the inspiration for the real Rage."

"I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything. Just stand there and look Ragey. I'll do the talking," Justin smirked. Out of all of them, Justin was the most qualified to speak about Rage.

"Ragey?" Brian snarked.

"Just follow my lead, you big Smoosh."

"Don't I always? Lead on, McSunshine." Brian stood tall and followed Justin to where the reporters and photographers had set up camp. The Rage movie was still playing in selected theaters across the country and the DVD was going to be released in time for the holiday season. The adman in Brian took this as an opportunity to push the movie.

"Rage! Rage! JT! Why are you here?" several reporters shouted all at once.

Justin took over. "Rage allows his actions to do his speaking for him so I'll be happy to answer your questions," Justin stated with confidence.

"Was this planned? Why didn't anyone know that Rage was coming to New York?"

"Rage doesn't always make his intentions known but he was flying by your city and decided to drop in for the night."

"You're wearing your wedding tux. Does this mean Rage is settling down?"

"Rage, the comic hero, will never give up his quest to save Gayopolis one fuck at a time." The reporters giggled at Justin's statement and camera flashes all went off at once.

"However, the man behind the inspiration for Rage has been happily married for several years now." Justin turned to see Brian nod and noted the twinkle in those hazel eyes. "We're here to celebrate this day with our family like everyone else."

"Justin Taylor, will you have another show soon?"

"Yes, I'm preparing for one now. Sidney Bloom, my manager, will be issuing a release soon." More cameras flashed taking pictures of Justin the artist.

"Brian Kinney! It is Brian Kinney, the owner of Kinnetik, the man behind Rage?"

Before Brian or Justin could answer, Briana came running over to them.

"Pee pee, Dada!" Bree shrieked over the noise.

"Excuse me, gentlemen and ladies, duty calls," Brian said. With that Rage whipped off his mask to become Brian the proud dada. He scooped his daughter into his arms then left to find the nearest restroom.

"I guess that answers that," Justin said with a laugh. The cameras clicked more, the interviews were done and the Halloween party continued.