- Text Size +

 

Chapter 20

Sunday night found a sad Briana and a sullen Brian. Briana was missing her cousin while Brian missed his brother's quiet, gentle wisdom. John was only five years older than Brian but being Claire's son, John grew up with a huge dose of common sense and a strong moral character. Brian had learned a lot from his brother. Claire still called John, Jackie, at times because he reminded Claire of Jack when Jack was young, carefree and in love with her. Brian indulged in a little fantasy now and then, that given an alternative universe, Jack would have been exactly like John.

"You miss him, don't you?" Joan noticed that Brian had gotten quieter throughout the course of the evening.

"John? Yes, I do. He has a quiet way about him that I find calming. He...he helps me to find the good in myself when I have doubts. I do miss him and I trust him."

"Your trust doesn't come easily."

"No, it doesn't. But I do trust John. I trust him enough to look after Briana and Justin if anything should happen to me."

"Brian, you're not..." Joan gasped. She didn't want to think that her son was sick, not after their recent reconciliation and becoming a part of a family again. It would be too much to bear.

"No. Mom, I'm not." Brian placed his hand on Joan's to comfort her. "And I do everything I can do to keep myself healthy. But shit happens and I need to know that Justin and Bree will be looked after. I'm...I am older than Justin. "

"Is that why you chose John to be her godfather? Will John look after Bree?"

"Partly, and partly because it seemed the right thing to do." Mother and son sat quietly for a while before Joan broached the subject of prayers.

"Brian, the prayer Briana recited this morning, I didn't teach her that. She said Patrick taught her."

"He probably learned it from John. John went to church regularly with Claire."

"Brian, I..."

"It's okay. Mother, as Justin said, it couldn't hurt for Bree to grow up with a little religion as long as it's well balanced." Joan couldn't have agreed more, balanced and tempered with love. "Mom, now that John went back home, would you like to move into that room? Room service was here; there are fresh towels and the bed is bigger. You can stretch out. Bree is used to being alone in her room."

"I think I'd like that. Not that I mind sharing with a three year old but I do enjoy reading before bed."

"Then it's settled. I'll help you move your things."

"Thank you, Brian."

Thirty minutes later Joan Kinney happily occupied the room that John had vacated. Bree was a little disappointed but her Daddy pointed out that now Muñequita and the new stuffed rabbit that Grandma Joan brought her would have their own bed to play on. Bree found that acceptable.

"Kinney," Brian answered his ringing cell phone.

"Mr. Kinney, it's Stacey Manning."

"Hi there, Stacey Manning, a little past your bedtime, isn't it?" Brian snarked as he grabbed Justin's wrist to check the time.

"I'm sorry. I know it's late but I wanted to ask if it would be okay if I came into N'rgy tomorrow."

"You don't officially start for another two weeks."

"I realize that, sir, but I have some time coming to me and I thought I could use it to move into the apartment. Maybe paint the walls or something."

"Ms. Manning! What kind of establishment do you think I run? You do not paint walls; John hired a painter for that. All you need to do is to pick out the color. And move in your furniture."

"Um, I, uh..."

"Spit it out, Stacey, while I'm young."

"I don't have any furniture."

"No furniture?"

"No, not even a bed."

"Ms. Manning, this will not do. Report to Kinnetik N'rgy at nine sharp!"

"Yes, sir."

Brian cut the connection then dialed up a number.

"Emmett! Am I interrupting something gruesome? Good. I need you and your expertise at N'rgy tomorrow morning at nine. Don't argue with me, Emmett. To tell you the truth, it's Stacey. Stacey Manning, the new ad exec I hired to run N'rgy. She's moving into the apartment soon and the girl has no furniture. And from what I've seen so far, no wardrobe either. Calm down, you big old fairy! Look, you and Ken can have a crack at her tomorrow. And you might as well bring that hunky man of yours. I imagine you'll need him to tote that barge and lift that bale. Yeah, yeah, good night, Emmett. And thanks."

"Brian, what are you planning?" Justin gave Brian a look that required a plausible explanation.

"Apparently Stacey has no furniture, not even a bed."

"I gathered that but what does Emmett have to do with it."

"Justin, besides me, who is the most qualified person you know to buy furniture?"

"Emmett," Justin stated without any hesitation. Emmett was a highly qualified shopper.

"Well, there you are."

"And the crack about her clothes?" Justin asked and Brian groaned.

"Not only was she wearing FAKE designer labels, she was mixing a knock off Kenneth Cole bag with Louis Vuitton shoes! They weren't even good copies." Brian whispered that last statement as if the fashion police were listening and were going to arrest him. Justin burst out laughing.

"Only you, Brian, only you. Let's go to bed, you big Smoosh. I imagine you'll need lots of energy to get through the day tomorrow." Justin made sure their suite was locked up for the night then led his man to bed.

*****

Monday morning, Justin decided to treat Bree and Joan to breakfast in the hotel's restaurant before going to the studio. Justin was determined to paint while Joan was determined to take Briana to the library. Briana missed her 'school'.

Ted arrived at N'rgy at 8:30. He even put on the coffee as per Cynthia's instructions. Simon had gotten a bee stuck in his bonnet on Sunday and spent the day baking. There was a basket of muffins waiting for Ted and Brian.

Brian entered the office at 8:45. He wanted to check on the preliminary feedback from Adam's campaign. The other ads were all set to hit this first week of November. Brian very much wanted to celebrate the holidays at Edna's Treasures. In reality, he believed that they'd celebrate Thanksgiving in New York and Christmas at home. That's what he was hoping for.

Emmett and Drew had come in with Ted. Emmett wanted to check the layout of the rooms. Then he ran up to Ken's apartment to consult with him. Ken had had his own epiphany regarding the apartment but was keeping quiet about it. When Emmett informed him of Stacey's lack of furniture, accessories and apparel, the two men created a pact. Their mission was to outfit Stacey befitting an up and coming executive.

Promptly at nine, Stacey arrived at N'rgy.

"Hello?" Stacey called out as she entered the main office; it was empty.

"In here, Ms. Manning," Brian said authoritatively. Stacey went through to the conference room. Sitting around the table, scowling, were her new boss and graphic artist, Ted and Simon, and two other men she didn't know. One of whom was obviously very gay, the other, Stacey prayed, wasn't.

"Um, good morning?" Stacey asked tentatively, looking around the table at the men staring back at her.

"Good morning, Ms. Manning. Allow me to introduce Emmett Honeycutt, the number one party planner in the Pitts and his partner, Drew Boyd, formerly of the Ironmen and still associated with the team." Brian paused as Emmett and Stacey shook hands. Drew smiled coyly as Stacey inwardly groaned, thinking the popular phrase, 'why are all the good ones gay, married or both'.

Brian stood up to circle the hapless young woman.

"Ms Manning, a woman in your position must portray Kinnetik in a positive light. If you look shoddy then the client will have little faith in your abilities. First impressions are very important in this business."

"But, I..." Stacey sputtered. "I'm not working today."

"Not acceptable. Honeycutt!" Brian bellowed.

"Yes, your majesty," Emmett snarked.

Brian ignored the remark but raised an eyebrow. "When I have a day off, how am I dressed?"

"Deliciously."

"Emmett," Brian growled.

"Brian, for as long as I've known you and I don't care to count the years, you have always been the most fashionable person I know. Even in your tight jeans, and tight black tank..." Emmett drifted off for a moment savoring the image. A soft smile came to his lips. Drew smacked Emmett's arm.

"Focus, Emm," Ted whispered.

"Sorry," Emmett smiled, tipping his head. "Brian, you are always in style."

"Thank you. Now, Ms. Manning, here are your instructions for today. First, you will be taken by Emmett, Ken and Drew to the store of your choice. There, you will allow these gentlemen to suggest an appropriate wardrobe befitting your new position." Brian paused his speech but remained circling the woman. "Afterwards, I suggest lunch."

"Lunch? It's barely 9:30."

"Stacey, honey, you don't think we're going to K-Mart, do you?" Ken asked, shaking his head. "Picking out the right wardrobe takes time and effort. Perhaps we should have a nice breakfast. I don't see us finishing up until at least two."

"I agree," Emmett added. "We can grab a bite then shop for furniture. I took the liberty of measuring the rooms earlier." Emmett pulled out a sheet of paper with scribbles on it.

"And I have some suggestions on the arrangement." Ken pulled out a pad and flipped through several sheets. He had drawings of the living room, bedroom and bathroom all with different looks ranging from contemporary to classic. Stacey was becoming overwhelmed. She looked at Drew who was sitting quietly with a smirk on his face.

"And what about you?" Stacey asked Drew, pointedly. "Aren't you going to tell me how to dress or what to buy?"

"No, ma'am. I'm just here to help you carry it all." Stacey groaned out loud then plopped herself in the nearest chair.

"How am I going to pay for all this? I don't get my last check for two more weeks and I owe my roommates money 'cause I'm breaking my agreement with them. I have some savings but I was going to use them for Christmas presents and maybe seeing my folks." Stacey hung her head. Her head suddenly popped up when she heard a snapping noise.

Emmett held out his hand toward Brian, snapping his fingers, then he turned his hand, palm side up. Brian redirected the hand toward Ted who placed a brand new credit card in the middle of Emmett's palm.

"Fabulous. Let's go shopping!"

"Wait! Don't you understand? I can't afford it," Stacey pleaded.

"Ms Manning, Stacey," Ted gently began. "Brian is advancing your salary."

"But..."

"No buts, Stacey. Brian…we, have a lot riding on this office, and on you. We want you to have a fresh start here with Kinnetik. That includes the new wardrobe and furniture."

"But that's unheard of!"

"Not for Kinnetik. Did you study the material Cynthia e-mailed you on the history of Kinnetik and its branches. When we renovated the building that houses Part Deux, we offered the apartments upstairs to many of our employees. A few of them have made it their permanent home. Most of our employees never leave. We're a family and families take care of each other. We want you to be happy with us."

"Unbelievable."

"Believe it, Ms. Manning," Brian contributed. "Now will you all get out of here so I can do some work. Contrary to popular belief, I do not spend all my time contemplating the latest Armani collection," Brian groused as he helped Stacey to her feet and gave her a gentle shove out the door. "Go! Shoo! And take these boys with you." Brian indicated Emmett, Drew and Ken. "I don't want to see you back here until later, much later."

"This can't be happening," Stacey muttered to herself as Emmett and Ken led the way, totally engrossed in conversation regarding what they wanted to buy and what designer would look good on Stacey. Drew offered his arm to the stunned woman, gently directing her out.

Simon looked over at Brian who remained stoic and smug.

"You looked very pleased with yourself," Simon told Brian. Brian sucked his lips into his mouth. "Be honest with me; you've never done this with any of your employees."

"No, we haven't, not to this extreme. We did offer the apartments to whoever wanted to relocate to Harrisburg; that much is true. Most of them were single and it was convenient. The others who had partners or spouses, we put up in the local hotel and then helped them with a down payment for a house or condo. This isn't that much different. I've checked out Stacey. She has several clients who will follow her and I remember how it was when I was starting out. I struggled to afford my clothes and the loft. I want Stacey to be able to concentrate on her job, not worry about where to get a second hand bed or futon. I'll worry about that. She's good, Simon; she'll do good here."

"And you're a good man, Brian Kinney. Now, I do believe I have my own business to run. I have a feeling that my partner will be coming home with some new clothes. I don't suppose you have a credit card with his name on it, do you?" Simon laughed as he turned to leave the office. "Enjoy the muffins!" Simon Greene called out as he went to his own office next door.

"Schmidt!" Brian bellowed as he picked up a lemon poppy seed muffin.

"Yes, Boss?" Ted was at the ready with Brian's coffee and his financial figures.

"Do we have any butter?"

*****

Late that afternoon a weary but very happy group of shoppers returned to Kinnetik N'rgy.

"So how the fuck did it go?" Brian asked as they trouped in laden with bags and boxes. "And more importantly, do I still have a buck fifty in my bank account?"

"Buck fifty-two," Emmett grinned. "I'm exhausted."

"He … He's…" Stacey tried to express her admiration for Emmett.

"Amazing, fabulous, fan-fucking-tastic," Brian supplied trying to look stern.

"All of the above," Stacey cooed kissing Emmett's cheek and then dropping into a chair.

"Hey, some help here," Drew called. He had boxes and bags coming out the ying-yang and couldn't figure out how to put them down without dumping the whole pile.

Brian went over to help the studly football player since everyone else had found a chair to occupy.

"I don't think I've ever had a shopping experience quite like today," Ken said fanning himself. "It got me all hot and bothered, almost a religious experience."

"Do tell," Simon said poking his head in the door, having heard the commotion of the arriving shoppers.

"Hi, honey," Ken smiled. "I've never seen anything like it. Emmett is the shopper of all shoppers."

"Why, thank you, sweetie," Emmett said with his toothy grin. "It's nice to be appreciated."

Brian had finished unloading Drew and setting all the purchases against one wall. "What the fuck did you buy, Honeycutt?" Brian demanded looking at the mountain of stuff.

"Just a few essentials. The furniture and apartment things will be delivered next week. Oh, that reminds me, I need to talk to the painter. I have the perfect color scheme all picked out." Emmett sighed with satisfaction.

Brian glared at the tall queen, wondering when he had lost control of everything. Probably the day he first handed his credit card to Emmett Honeycutt. "It better not be fucking chartreuse, Honeycutt," Brian griped.

"Don't call me Honeycutt," Emmett responded as he always did. This had become a standing joke between the two of them. "I'm thinking varying shades of taupe with just a few splashes of color. I found these aubergine throw cushions. They were to die for."

"I couldn't believe I was selecting between aubergine and pomegranate," Stacey laughed.

"And you made the right choice, sweetie," Emmett assured her.

Brian shook his head. "I think I need to lie down. Color name overload," he whispered.

"Wait till you see the bills," Drew laughed.

"Fuck!" Brian said going back behind his desk and collapsing into his chair. "I never even went with you, but I'm exhausted from just hearing about this expedition."

"Would it be all right if I leave most of the clothes here, Brian? I don't want to wear them at Kennedy and Collins, so they might as well stay here for when I move in."

"Why don't you hang them in the closet right there so they don't wrinkle," Emmett suggested pointing to the closet intended for the coats of N'rgy clients.

"Anything else you'd like to rearrange about my business, Honeycutt?" Brian glared.

"No, I think that's all for today," Emmett said sweetly with a big smile. "Come on, Stacey, I'll help you hang them up, and you can pick a really fabulous one for your last day at your current and soon to be former employer's."

"Okay," Stacey agreed and the two moved over to the mound of purchases and started pulling things out.

"Ted!"

"Yes, Boss."

"Get that fucking painter on the phone. The sooner he's here, the quicker we can actually return this haven of retail shopping to its intended business purposes."

"Yes, Boss," Ted said and went into the conference room to make the call.

"I'm sorry, Brian," Stacey said having heard Brian's tirade. "If I'm being too presumptuous just say so." She didn't want to piss off her new boss before she had even started working for him.

"Don't mind him," Emmett said touching her arm. "His bark is notoriously worse than his bite, unless of course, you want him to bite you."

"Honeycutt!" Brian said ominously.

"Oh poo, use that voice on Ted. You know it never works on me. And in case you forgot, don't call me Honeycutt."

"Brian," Ken said hoping to diffuse the situation. "I found some great frames that I ordered for the office. I thought we could frame some of our best boards and have them on display for future clients. I think some of them will become classics."

"That's what I like to hear," Brian said perking up. "At least one of my employees knows what the fuck they're here for."

"In case you don't remember, I'm not your employee," Emmett stated. "I did this as a favor for one of my oldest and dearest friends." He smiled over at Brian.

"Maybe I should hire you, then I could yell at you and get the appropriate reaction."

"My services are always for sale, but that doesn't mean I'll jump when you bellow."

"I don't bellow," Brian sighed. "I give up," Brian said shaking his head. He knew when he was beat.

"I'll make some coffee," Ken said. "Let's get some of those cupcakes you loved so much." He really wanted to cheer up his boss.

"I'll send the boys for some," Simon volunteered as he left the office.

"Great!" Brian snarked. "Now I can be fat and broke."

The whole group broke into laughter knowing that that day would never come for Brian fucking Kinney.

*****

"So, did you enjoy the story?" Joan asked Bree as they came out of the library.

"Yes, Gamma," Bree said quietly, not in her usual exuberant voice.

"Is something wrong, sweetheart?"

Bree frowned and nodded.

"Come over here and we'll sit down for a minute," Joan said leading Bree over to a bench just outside the library. "Tell Grandma what's bothering you."

"The story…" Bree started but was unsure how to continue.

"Yes, the story the librarian read to you and the other children…?" Joan prompted.

Bree nodded. "The little girl got her mommy to help her find the lost bunny."

"That's right."

"How come…?"

"How come what?" Joan asked.

"How come I don't have a mommy to help me find my bunny?"

Joan blanched. This was definitely not a question she should be answering for her granddaughter. Briana's fathers needed to do that. "You have your daddies to help you if you ever lost your bunny," Joan said hoping that would satisfy her.

"But Gus has two mommies and I don't have any."

"Um…"

"And Gus has Dada just like me."

"Yes, that's true."

"Why?"

"Um … look, there's somebody getting out of a cab. Let's grab it and we can go to your Daddy's studio. Maybe he can answer all those questions for you."

Joan hustled over to the cab, relieved that she had at least a momentary reprieve from the difficult questions her granddaughter had posed.