- Text Size +

 

Chapter 22

Emmett and Drew went back to Pittsburgh and in the nick of time. While Emmett enjoyed his time in the Big Apple the coming of Thanksgiving and the holidays signaled a very busy time for his business and the Ironmen were missing their color man. It was back to work for Emmett and Drew.

Michael, Ben and JR were planning their long weekend in New York. And as much as Gus missed his dad and little sisters, he decided the prudent thing to do was to stay home with the moms to celebrate Turkey Day with them. Brian assured the family that he and Justin, et al, would all be home in time for Christmas.

The gaming software was selling like hot cakes and the other ads that N'rgy promoted were doing exceptionally well. Stacey was finding her way around in her new position as well as settling into her new apartment. She and Ken, while butting heads, more often than not on their approach to new clients, were learning how to compromise and work together. Ken admired Stacey's drive; Stacey admired Ken's creativity. They were going to make an unstoppable team. Stacey found the input from Cynthia, Scott and Joseph, invaluable and she appreciated the technology that kept them all in touch. Cynthia had suggested that Stacey consider hiring a personal assistant. While Ken enjoyed his temporary dual role, it was obvious that N'rgy was on the map. Ken would need the time to devote to the art. Brian and Ted were slowly stepping back, allowing Stacey to take over the reins gradually. Stacey appreciated not being thrown to the wolves all at once.

"Kinney."

"Simon, here."

"Hello, Mr. Greene, miss me already?"

"It has been rather quiet around here lately. I have noticed the lack of crashing and vibrating walls but that's not why I called."

"I can always come in to slam a door or two."

"I'll pass. I did call to issue an invitation."

"What kind of invitation?"

"A Thanksgiving invitation. A little birdie told me that you are planning to spend the holiday here and that Michael and his family are coming in too. Usually it's just us and the boys. I'd love to do a really big Thanksgiving. You can take everyone to the parade and then we can have dinner here."

"Simon, I appreciate the gesture but that's a lot of mouths to feed."

"I'm used to cooking large and I'd like to thank you for taking such good care of us when we visited your fair city. I never got the chance to pay you back for the expense of the clothes."

"I didn't expect repayment."

"I know you didn't, so please, let me and Ken cook dinner for you. I'm sure Joan and Justin wouldn't mind a home cooked meal. You have got to be sick of room service and restaurants."

"I think they'd like that."

"So it's a date. The concierge can provide you with the parade info and then afterwards you all come here for dinner."

"You drive a hard bargain, Simon Greene."

"Then it's settled. We'll talk again and let you in on the details. So long, Brian."

"Bye, Simon."

*****

Michael, Ben and JR flew into LaGuardia Wednesday evening. They would spend Thanksgiving with Brian then return home on Saturday. Ted was planning to fly back with them. Justin had been very busy closing down his temporary studio. All the old masters were packed, ready to be shipped off to Sidney. Justin's new show would debut the second week of December at the Bloom gallery then, as promised, Kyle would have the next crack at it. If all went well, Brian would drive himself, Justin, Bree and Joan back to Pittsburgh on the Monday following Thanksgiving. John had flown back home, leaving 'the beast' in New York for Brian.

*****

"Brian! Look at all the people!" Michael exclaimed. He and Brian had grown up watching the parade on television but that didn't prepare them for the crowd and the noise. Debbie would insist on putting on the parade as she cooked her turkey. Brian always found a way of sneaking out of Jack's house to go to Deb's for her turkey, lasagna and all the fixings.

They arrived early as instructed by the concierge, choosing a spot about a quarter of the way down the parade route. It was cold but sunny; everyone was bundled. Brian had Briana on his shoulders as was JR, perched on Ben's broad, strong shoulders. The kids had an unobstructed view of the floats, the Rockettes and of course, Santa!

A couple of chilly hours later after Santa and his reindeer ho ho ho'd their way past the group, Brian ushered his little band of parade goers to a cross street in order to catch taxis to go to the Greene-Mann house.

*****

"Hello!"

"Hey, Ken, it's Brian Kinney and mob," Brian stated into the intercom.

"Well come on up, Brian Kinney and mob!" Ken laughed as he buzzed everyone in. Brian had his key but this wasn't business and Brian didn't want to barge in.

Up in their apartment, Ken, Simon and the boys made everyone feel welcome. There was a large pot of hot cocoa with whipped cream, fresh fruit and an assortment of dainty treats beautifully arranged on large platters.

"We have a couple more hours until the turkey is done but this will tide us over. And you must be frozen. How was the parade?" Ken gushed and fawned all over his guests. The boys popped in their favorite holiday DVDs for the girls and they all had fun watching Charlie Brown celebrating Thanksgiving with the Peanuts gang. And watching 'A Nightmare Before Christmas'.

Brian and Ted played tour guide for Michael and Ben, showing them the finished office. Even Justin and Joan enjoyed the tour. Stacey, who was going to spend the day with some local friends heard the noise in the office and came out to investigate.

"Ms Manning! How did you know that I wasn't an axe murderer or someone of dubious character out to relieve you of your virtue?" Brian bellowed at his latest employee.

"Oh puh-leez!" Stacey said as she rolled her eyes at her new boss. "I think I can recognize your distinctive howl by now." Brian looked sufficiently chastised and the gang laughed.

"She certainly has your number, Brian," Ben teased his friend.

Brian made introductions all around and then Stacey invited them all in to take a look at her new apartment. She was so proud of its showcase appearance.

"Emmett did all this?" Michael asked in amazement.

"Mostly, Ken helped too, and Drew."

"Drew?" Michael and Ben asked at the same time.

"You didn't expect me to carry in all her shit, did you?" Brian snarked as he raised an eyebrow and the gang cracked up again.

"Stacey, we're going upstairs now. Will you be all right? There's plenty if you want to join us." Justin didn't want the woman to spend the holiday alone.

"Thank you, Justin. Simon and Ken did invite me but I'll be fine. I rearranged my plans for Thanksgiving. I'll be going back home for Christmas. That is, if my new boss will give me the time off." Stacey did her best to smile flirtatiously at Brian.

"Don't waste that smile on him." Ted indicated Brian. "It won't work. But don't worry; Kinnetik runs a skeleton crew over major holidays. You'll have time to spend it with your family. Family means a lot to Kinnetik."

Justin smiled at Ted's comment as Brian nodded in agreement. Stacey just shook her head in amazement.

"You guys are unbelievable, you know that?" Stacey was still having trouble adapting to Kinnetik's unique philosophies.

"We know!" Brian and Ted answered as one. The family left Stacey to her plans then went back upstairs to Ken and Simon.

*****

"Simon, do you mind if I go up to the roof? I want to make a few phone calls." Brian addressed Simon as the big man was stirring his gravy.

"Brian you're welcome to use our phone in the den if you want some privacy."

"No, thank you, I need some air."

"It's freezing up there."

"I'll be fine," Brian said as he slipped on his long coat.

"Go on then, just keep a firm hold on the door. Sometimes the wind wants to whip it off the hinges." Brian nodded as he went to the stairs.

*****

"Lindz?"

"Brian? Where are you?"

"Still here, in New York, standing on a roof, talking to you."

"Everything all right?"

"We're fine. I just wanted to call to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving. You at Deb's?"

"Yes, she's ordered us here since Michael went to New York."

"Probably thought she was saving you all from having peanut butter sandwiches for Thanksgiving dinner."

"I think she mentioned something to that effect. Brian, are you sure you're okay?"

Lindsay could hear the sigh in Brian's voice.

"I'm fine. I..."

"You miss home, you miss us."

"Yeah."

"We miss you all too. I miss you, Brian."

"I love you, Lindz. You know that, don't you?"

"I know, Bri. I love you too. Do you want to talk to Gus?"

"Can I?"

"Of course, hold on, I'll get him." Brian heard a brief rustling noise then Gus came onto the line.

"Pop!"

"Hey, Sonny Boy. You taking good care of your mothers?"

"Sure, Pop. Happy Turkey Day! When are you coming home?"

"Soon, real soon. If everything goes well we should be back in the Pitts by Monday night."

"That's great, Pop. I really miss you."

"I miss you too, Sonny Boy. I love you, Gus."

"Love you too, Pop. You want to talk to Grandma Deb?"

Brian dramatically sighed. "If I have too."

"You do, Dad. Hold on."

"About time you called, you little shit!"

"Nice to hear your sweet voice too, Deb."

"Asshole! Brian, when are you coming home? We miss you." Debbie's voice took on a soft motherly tone that she saved for her first and most beloved lost boy.

"Monday, I hope we'll be driving into the Pitts Monday night."

"Come to dinner."

"Deb..."

"Please, Brian. I know you miss your home but your family misses you and Sunshine and that little princess of yours." Debbie heard the snort Brian couldn't hide.

"The Squirt's no princess."

"Sounds like a story."

"You don't know the half of it. Okay, let me run it by the blond and I'll get back to you."

"He's got you by the balls, doesn't he?"

"Yeah, he does and I wouldn't have it any other way. Goodnight, Debbie, give my love to the family. Let them know Brian Kinney's coming home."

Brian cut the connection then dialed another number.

"Hey, lil' bro, I was wondering if you forgot all about your country bumpkin relations."

"Ha, fuckin' ha! You at Claire's?"

"No, Rachel. This is her first major holiday since the move, she wanted to do Thanksgiving this year. We're all here. Brian, you okay?"

"Why does everyone keep asking if I'm okay? I'm fine, just missing home and you, you big goof."

"Still the sweet talker, aren't you? Dinner's almost ready, I have to get back. You kiss that hubby and your little princess for me, okay?"

"I will; you do the same. If my plan works, I'll be driving the beast into the driveway late Monday night."

"Then I'll see you Monday night."

"You sound confident."

"Your plans always work out, Brian. I love you, little brother. Happy Thanksgiving."

"Love you too, big brother. Tell the family a very Happy Thanksgiving from all of us." The brothers cut the connection. Brian went back inside.

*****

"Brian! Where have you been hiding?"

"I haven't been hiding, Sunshine. I went to the terrace to make some calls."

"You're freezing." Justin helped Brian with his coat then stuck a piping hot mug of cocoa in his lover's hands.

"I'm fine."

"I know you are," Justin cooed softly, "but I worry anyway." Brian kissed Justin's cheek gently with cold lips. "Brr," Justin said with an exaggerated shiver.

"That's my job, Sunshine," Brian retorted but allowed Justin to fuss over him, leading him to the sofa. The lovers sat close sharing body heat while waiting for dinner to be served.

*****

"Gosh, I'm stuffed!" Michael exclaimed rubbing his protruding belly. "I'm gonna have to do more than fifty sit-ups to get over this meal. It was great, thank you, Simon."

Simon smiled fondly at Brian's best friend. Their differences appeared to be all gone. "You are most welcome. I'll let this settle for a while and put on the coffee. I hope you saved room for dessert!"

Everyone's eyes grew large. They couldn't conceive of eating another bite. Then Simon and Ken did this little Vanna White thing, displaying all the cakes, pies and cookies they had baked for the occasion.

"Make that a hundred sit-ups," Michael groaned.