- Text Size +

 

Chapter 3

Later that night, with Bree safely tucked away in her room without nearly the drama of the night before, Brian and Justin got ready for bed. Brian watched Justin remove his clothes and felt himself start to grow hard. Justin still had that effect on him.

"See something you like?" Justin asked with a chuckle. He then stared knowingly at the crotch of Brian's jeans.

"Definitely. I think it's what I came home for."

Justin made a face. "I'm really sorry you had to walk in on that mess last night. I was at my wit's end with Bree, and I think she felt the same about her daddy. We missed you so much."

"It was actually good that I saw what was going on. If you had tried to tell me what she was like, I would have had trouble believing you. Usually she's such a little sweetheart."

"Until she turns into the drama princess from Hell."

"Do you think she got the message today or were we too easy on her?"

"I think you handled it just right. She said she was sorry and she seemed to mean it," Justin said thoughtfully. "And I really was sorry too about losing it with her."

"Maybe next time we can catch ourselves and the circumstances before things get to the critical meltdown stage like that."

"If we go to New York with you, that should help a lot. She really wanted to see you and that's what set her off."

"I wanted to see her too. I thought it would be easier now that she's a little older and we have been separated a couple of times."

"But not for three weeks," Justin reminded Brian.

"Definitely too long."

"So how is this New York thing going to work?"

"I was thinking I'd get a suite at the closest hotel. If we got one with two bedrooms, then John could stay with us. We could get a cot for Bree or she could sleep with us."

"Not every night," Justin said as he removed the last of his clothes. "In fact, we can talk about this in the morning." He sidled over to Brian and started divesting his husband of the clothes he had forgotten to remove. When they were both naked Justin took Brian's hand and led him to their bed. "It's time I gave you a proper welcome home."

"And what constitutes a proper welcome home?"

"I'm going to show you."

Justin dropped to his knees in front of Brian and started doing all the things with his mouth and tongue that he knew drove Brian wild. When Brian was a moaning mass of need he pulled Justin to his feet and they kissed long and hard.

"I missed you so much," Brian whispered.

"Me too."

Justin backed Brian up against the bed and gently shoved him onto it. Brian lay splayed out in all his glory as Justin crawled on top of him.

"I'm going to give you the ride of your life," Justin cooed as he stuck his fingers in his ass and prepared himself. Brian moaned at the sight feeling his cock grow impossibly harder. He lubed his cock and then positioned it for his partner who none too gently lowered himself onto it. Brian let out a deep growl as Justin sat down hard on his groin.

"Fuck!" Brian breathed as his husband shifted around and squeezed.

"You ain't seen nothin' yet," Justin laughed as he began his ride.

Some time later they lay locked in each others' arms as they came down from their sexual high.

"I knew there was a reason I came home. Thanks for reminding me," Brian chuckled.

"Asshole," Justin giggled and swatted Brian's ass.

"Maybe we need a three bedroom suite in New York. Then you could do that every night."

"What makes you think I'd want to do that every night?" Justin asked keeping his face straight. Brian frowned. Justin smiled. "I have many other things I want to do with you. I wouldn't want to be too predictable."

"Smug little bastard, aren't you?"

Justin grinned. "You bet, and I have the moves to back it up."

"I know you do, Sunshine." Brian looked thoughtful. "Are you really okay with being in New York for a while? You won't be able to paint."

"No, but I can visit some museums and maybe gather some ideas for a couple more 'Old Masters' before my show."

"That would be good," Brian said. He was glad that Justin would get something positive out of this trip. He hated feeling so needy, but he knew he couldn't stand another three weeks away from his family.

"If John gets some of the work done on the office, maybe I can help you decorate it."

"That you could," Brian smiled. There were so many reasons he loved this man.

"Maybe we should drive to New York. That way John could take his tools. If the construction people are on strike he may have trouble finding workers to help him. And if I know John, he'll be right in there doing it himself."

"That's not a bad idea," Brian said thoughtfully. "I'll run it by John in the morning. I should call the hotel and see what they have in the way of suites."

"In the morning," Justin said putting his finger on Brian's lips before he kissed him once again. "Right now I have some more moves to show you."

*****

Monday morning at Kinnetik:

"Ted, can you come into my office? We need to talk." Ted looked up, nodded then logged off his computer. He went into the office and took a seat.

"What is it, Cynthia?"

"How long have you known Brian?"

"More years than I care to count. You?"

"I was his assistant the minute he set foot into Ryder. He was the youngest ad exec they ever had and the most successful."

"Everything that man touches turns to gold."

"Yes it does, but I think we may have a problem."

"Did he call you?"

"You know he would never do that, but I did get an interesting phone call."

"Justin?"

"No, and he wouldn't dream of calling or interfering with Brian's business."

"Who?"

"John."

"John? What did he want?"

"He practically tore me a new one but in the sweetest most gentle way."

"Are you sure he's related to Brian?"

"I'm sure. He told me that Brian came home Thursday night and it wasn't pretty. The cottage looked like a hurricane hit, Briana and Justin were yelling at each other and Brian looked like death warmed over."

"Shit! I take it all is not going well in the Big Apple."

"No, and we knew this."

"And we did nothing to help."

"No, we didn't. I don't know what made me think we should let Brian do this on his own. We were there when Kinnetik launched and for Part Deux. We should be there for him in New York."

"You're right but Brian's stubborn."

"Yes he is."

"So, what should we do?"

"Do you think you can get away? Would Allen mind if you went out of town for a while?"

"There won't be any problem. The symphony is preparing for their holiday concerts. Lots of rehearsals and he'll be out of town too. You?"

"Matthew's retired and he has family in New York."

"Then I see a trip for the two of us. When does Brian go back?"

"He's taking Justin, Bree and John back with him tomorrow."

"I'll update my laptop."

"And I'll book us the tickets and a suite at the same hotel. We do this together."

"Together."

"And Ted..."

"Yeah?"

"This conversation never happened." Ted made a lock and key sign over his lips then walked out of Cynthia's office. Brian was going to get the help he needed even if it killed them.

*****

"Sunshine?" Brian and Bree had finished up in the garden. They had gone to the garden center and purchased their fall flowers. The gardens looked bright and cheerful again. Bree was taking an afternoon nap in her room and Brian was relaxing in the porch as Justin took the opportunity to finish up some of his 'Old Masters'.

"Mmm?"

"I've been thinking."

"Uh oh."

"Smartass. But you know when I said you wouldn't be able to paint if you come to New York?"

"Yeah."

"Maybe we can find a way. I mean you had a studio when you interned there. There's got to be a studio you can rent. You're going to bring your sketch pad, aren't you?"

"Never leave home without it."

"Then why don't you try to rent a studio?"

"I can call Sidney when we get settled. He ought to know who I should call."

"Good idea. You're so smart."

"If I was so smart then why didn't I think of it?" Justin put down his paintbrush and crossed over to where Brian was sitting then he climbed onto Brian's lap.

"Maybe you were a little distracted."

"Yeah, by you, you big Smoosh...capital 'S'. I love you."

"I know."

*****

Later on that night, their bags were all packed and waiting at the front door. John had arranged his life for the next two weeks so that he could concentrate on Kinnetik N'rgy.

"Baby, are you sure you're all right with me going to New York? We've never been apart for this long."

"I know and I can't say I'm going to enjoy it but I think it's for the best. And maybe Patrick and I can visit next weekend. I've never been to New York. You can show me your old haunts."

"Bobby, it was along time ago and if those places still exist, you have to remember I was straight back then. I don't think they're your kind of places."

Bobby contemplated what John had said. "Then I guess we'll have to find some new haunts." Bobby smiled lovingly at his partner.

John nuzzled the redhead's neck. "Bobby," John whispered, "I did something today and I don't know if I made a big mistake." Bobby pulled back a little to gaze into his lover's eyes.

"What did you do?"

"I called Cynthia."

"Brian's Cynthia?" Bobby said as his eyes grew wide.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I had to tell her what happened."

"With Brian in New York."

"Yes, and what's been going on here."

Bobby's eyes nearly bugged out of his head. "John, you know how Brian is. Do you think that was wise?"

"At the time I did. You were right about how miserable they all were. We weren't around when Brian created Kinnetik but we did help with Part Deux and the clinic. It's not right that he has to take on New York all by himself. Cynthia had to be told."

"Well, if anyone can get away with helping Brian, it would be Cynthia. What did she say?"

"She told me she'd seriously consider what I told her and then try to do something."

"What?"

"I have no idea but if your ears start burning some time tomorrow afternoon, it'll probably be Brian cursing the hell out of all of us."

"Is there anything I can do?"

"Yeah, make love to me. It may be a while before we get to do it again."

"That, I can do." Bobby rolled on top of his lover and proceeded to make gentle love to his spouse.

*****

The following morning everyone was up at the crack of dawn. They wanted to get an early start so that they could be in New York by late afternoon. They had decided to take John's Lincoln Navigator. It was the biggest vehicle with the most room for suitcases, people and tools. They had hooked in Bree's seat so that she would be secure, and the back of the SUV was loaded with all her toys and clothes and other paraphernalia.

Bobby and Patrick walked them out to the vehicle. Patrick hugged Bree before she was strapped into her seat. He kissed his uncles and had a long hug and warm kiss for his father. Bobby and John hung onto each other for a long time.

"I promise to look after him, Big Red," Brian said softly.

"You better," Bobby said wiping at his eyes.

"You can come visit next weekend," John promised as he gave his husband another kiss.

"Count on it," Bobby promised.

They got in the car and John started the engine. Bree looked around at her Daddy sitting next to her and her Dada and Uncle John in the front seat. And then she let out a long cry. "Paaaattrriiiccckkkk!"

Patrick waved to Bree.

"Patrick come too," Bree said staring at her father with large scared eyes.

"No, sweetheart," Justin said, "Patrick has to go to school."

"Me go to school. Patrick, come with us," she called out the window.

"No, Bree. Patrick's staying here."

"Noooo!" Bree wailed.

"John, get this fucking vehicle on the road," Brian said through gritted teeth.

John started the SUV and waved at his husband and son as he headed down the lane. Bree wailed in the backseat with Justin doing his best to calm her.

Brian rubbed his temples. He could already feel the headache building and they weren't even a minute into a seven or eight hour drive. He thought back to the last road trip to New York when he and Ted, Emmett and Michael had gone in search of a runaway Justin. That was such a long time ago. And the sex at the end of that search had been mind boggling. He could only hope this trip would turn out as well.

"Brian," Justin said as he hugged Bree to his chest as much as he could without taking her out of her seat. "A little help here, please."

"Um…what can I do?"

"Talk to her. Maybe she'll listen to you."

Brian let out a long sigh. What the fuck was he supposed to say to a three year old? "Squirt. Are you listening to me, Squirt?" He heard the volume of Bree's sobs lower a little bit. "I know you'll miss Patrick while we're away. We'll all miss him, but his Daddy John will miss him the most. See how brave John's being. You can be brave too. Patrick wouldn't want you to cry. He'll miss you but he was very brave. He didn't cry when we left. You can be brave too. Can you do that for me?"

Brian heard Bree take a couple of shuddering breaths, but she had stopped crying.

"Keep talking, Brian," Justin whispered.

"I love you, Squirt. I couldn't stand to be away from you for another three weeks. That's why you're coming with me. This will be a big adventure just like St. Augustine was. You and Daddy can explore New York while I'm at work. They call it the Big Apple. Did you know that? They call it that because it's so big. Much bigger than Pittsburgh or St. Augustine. I think we'll have fun, and I'm so glad you'll be there with me." Brian rambled on.

"Brian."

"Hm."

"She's asleep," Justin said softly.

"Great. I'm so fucking boring," Brian said rubbing his eyes.

"She was soothed by the sound of your voice. You handled that just right," John said patting Brian's leg.

"Hmmpff, you mean I actually did something right for a change?" Brian asked skeptically. It seemed lately that everything he did was wrong.

"You certainly did, and you're going to be a big success in New York," John said confidently.

"From your lips to the strikers' ears," Brian grumbled as he closed his eyes and leaned his head back against the headrest.