- Text Size +

 

Chapter 4

The SUV headed into the city of New York. Brian was at the wheel having relieved John at their last stop. It was a little after two o'clock. Brian hoped to have them at their hotel by three or soon after. That way they would miss some of the rush hour traffic and he could get the family settled in with time to spare for a trip to the Kinnetik N'rgy office.

Bree was babbling away in the back seat as Justin pointed out buildings and people that they passed along the way. Her crying jag over Patrick not coming with them had ended with her falling asleep. She seemed to have forgotten about Patrick as Justin gave her Muñequita and talked to her about what they were going to do in New York. Brian was very happy that his daughter seemed to be in a better frame of mind. He couldn't have stood four hundred miles of her crying.

"Won't be too long now," Brian said.

"I could use a nice soft bed to stretch out on," Justin said with a sigh.

Brian groaned. He'd like nothing better than stretching out on that bed with Justin. But that was not going to happen, at least not until he had been to Kinnetik N'rgy to see what was shaking there.

"Muñequita tired," Bree said holding her dolly out to Justin.

"You and Muñequita can have a nap as soon as we get to the hotel."

"We made good time," John offered trying to be optimistic. "I want to come to Kinnetik with you to see what I'm up against."

"I'll appreciate any suggestions you may have," Brian admitted already feeling the weight of the Big Apple pressing down on him. His doubts about this whole venture were returning.

They drove in silence for a while until Brian finally pulled into the space in front of a high rise hotel.

"This is home for the next few weeks," Brian said as he got out of the car.

Everyone looked around at their location, noting the hustle and bustle of the big city.

"Look, Daddy," Bree said pointing to the bell captain with his uniform.

"Yes, Bree, this gentleman is going to help us with all those bags of clothes and toys we brought for you." Justin tickled Bree's tummy and she giggled.

"It will be my pleasure to be of assistance to such a lovely little girl," the man said.

Bree buried her head against Justin's neck but not until she had batted those baby blues at the bellman.

"She's a terrible flirt," Justin said with a smile.

"She's quite adorable," the man said. "Will you be staying for a while?"

"A few weeks," Brian replied.

"Then allow me to introduce myself. I'm Isaac and I work the day shift. If I can do anything to help you, please ask."

"Thank you, Isaac," Brian said. "Right now we need some place to park this beast." He pointed at the huge SUV.

"I'll take care of that," John offered, "if Isaac will give me directions."

"We'll meet you in the lobby in a few minutes," Brian said. "I'll get us signed in."

Brian and Justin went into the lobby where they got more than a few looks from patrons of the hotel. Two such handsome men with a beautiful little girl was not a common sight.

By the time John returned from parking the vehicle, they were signed in and ready to go up to their room. As the three waited for the elevator, they could feel people staring at them. When the door finally opened they quickly stepped inside.

"Do I have mustard all over my face or a giant whole in the ass of my pants?" John asked.

"I know. That was weird," Justin replied. "Why were they all looking at us like that?"

"They couldn't believe their luck at seeing three such handsome guys all at the same time," Brian smirked.

"No seriously," Justin said. "Do we look like hicks from the wilds of Pennsylvania?"

"God, I hope not," Brian said looking in the mirrors on the elevator wall.

"I think you were right the first time," John said trying not to laugh. "They probably think we're on our way to a threesome. I bet they can't figure out what we're going to do with Bree."

"JOOOHHHNN!" Brian and Justin gasped in disbelief. That was so unlike anything John would ever say.

"Sorry! Just kidding."

"What a threesome, Dada?" Bree asked.

They all groaned as the elevator door opened.

*****

After they rested and had a bite to eat, Brian and John caught a cab to Kinnetik N'rgy. It was close to five so they hadn't planned on staying long but John wanted to get a sense of the layout of the office and attached apartment so that he could order the right materials. As they approached the door they could hear voices emanating from the office. John and Brian looked at each other then barged in.

"What the fu...?" Brian bellowed then stopped mid yell when he saw Cynthia and Ted huddled at his desk. "How? What...?" Brian was rendered speechless for the moment. John crossed over to the two smiling business associates and drew them both into a big bear hug.

"What my, oh so eloquent, brother is trying to say is, thank God you two are here! Now maybe he can get some real work done … and without bloodshed." Ted, Cynthia and John all laughed as Brian tried to recover.

"Yeah, what he said. Not that I'm not happy to see you two but when the fuck did you get here?" Cynthia pointed to a couple of chairs, then got everyone coffee as she explained.

"Some disturbing reports were getting back to me regarding a certain bully of a man who seemed to think that secretaries grow on trees. I decided to come to New York to see if the reports were true. Of course, Ted had to be a witness so I booked a few tickets yesterday and we arrived late last night. Oh, and we're staying at your hotel. On Kinnetik, of course."

Brian nodded. "Wait a minute, you said a few tickets. Who did you bring?"

"Matthew came with me. You can't expect me to come to the Big Apple all alone, can you?"

"I, um..." Brian stuttered.

"He means, no," John interjected. "Won't Matthew get bored waiting around for you every night?"

"Bored? In New York? No, he won't. Besides he has family and friends here and he promised to take me to a few shows. I hear they have a show with a bunch of naked men running around. I want to see it." Ted's eyes widened and Brian nearly choked on his coffee while John tried to remain stoic.

"Naked men aside, where did you get this coffee?" Brian took another sip from his mug appreciating the fine aroma and smooth texture.

"Brian, it's your coffee, your special brew. You know, the one we order for Kinnetik? I brought it with me and I'll arrange for regular deliveries as long as you're staying here. More importantly, Ted and I are going to stay here until we get this office up and running. We won't let you down, Brian. We should have been here for you. You're not in this alone. We're a team, plain and simple."

Everyone became silent as Brian quietly put his mug on the desk then turned to walk out the door.

"Oh God, I knew this was a mistake," Ted mumbled.

"No, it's not a mistake; he just needs a moment," John explained. "He's been on an emotional roller coaster lately. Leave him be and show me the rest of this office. I want to take some notes." Cynthia and Ted nodded then showed John the rest of the set up.

Brian stepped out into the lobby then sat on the steps that led to the upper apartments. For a busy New York brownstone the building was relatively quiet and Brian needed the quiet to collect his thoughts and get his emotions in check. So much had gone on in his life over the past few months and now his friends and family were showing him the true meaning of love and loyalty. It was almost too much for him to bear.

"Hi." Simon came out of his office door and saw Brian sitting. "You're back. Feeling any better?" Simon sat on the steps next to Brian.

"I guess so."

"I met Cynthia today. I wish I had a partner like her when I was starting my own business. If I had, then maybe I wouldn't have made such terrible mistakes back then. And Ted, he just dives right in. You're very lucky to have such wonderful and knowledgeable associates."

"Yes, I am."

"So why don't you look happy?"

"Not sure. I guess I thought I was supposed to prove something and do this on my own, but Cynthia and Ted had other plans."

"Brian, do you really want to do this on your own?"

"I thought I did."

"May I give you some advice?" Brian nodded. "Many years ago I decided to branch out on my own and believe me, I made some horrible mistakes. It nearly cost me my partnership. If it wasn't for Kenny's innate goodness I wouldn't be as blessed as I am today. I've lived in New York all my life. I thought I could do it all on my own and I couldn't. I needed and got help from some good and trusted people; it's the only way to make it here. From what I can see, you have those people sitting in your office. Let them do what you pay them for. That way you have the freedom to do what you do so well. And between you and me, Kenny is a great graphic artist. He's been happier than a pig in shit playing with your ad all weekend. Now I don't expect you to hire him but this is his specialty. It would be a shame to waste his obvious talents."

"Simon Greene, you have some set of balls, you know that."

"I'm a New Yorker, I better have. Besides I've always known how talented my Kenny is. He just needs someone to promote him."

"Someone like you?"

"Maybe. Give it the once over. At the very least it may spark something."

"I can't promise anything. You ask Cynthia or Ted. I'm a bitch when I don't like something. But I will look at it. I have nothing in my head as yet."

"You've been distracted. Now, it's quitting time. Do you guys want to come up for dinner? We always have plenty."

"No, but I thank you. We left Bree and Justin at the hotel. I think I need to spring for dinner for certain ballsy employees of mine and a big brother."

Simon bellowed out a laugh. "You do that. We'll see you tomorrow. Goodnight, Brian."

"Goodnight, Simon, and thank you."

"Don't thank me yet; you haven't seen the ad." With that Simon got up and went up the stairs. Brian took a big cleansing breath and went back into his office.

"Well, troops, it's quitting time! Let's go see if this fancy schmancy hotel I'm paying for has a decent restaurant." Brian ushered out his troops, locked up Kinnetik N'rgy for the night then hailed a cab.

*****

"Brian, do you think this is good idea?"

"What the hell are you talking about, Justin?" They were getting ready to go to dinner. The hotel did have a very nice restaurant. Brian had made reservations for all of them tonight, including Ted, Cynthia and Matthew.

"I'm not sure; those looks we got this afternoon. Maybe Bree and I should stay up here."

"Justin, you are my partner, Briana is our daughter. We have every right to have dinner together as a family. I don't give a fuck who sees us and what they think. Justin, what's the real reason for all of this?"

"I just don't want any trouble. This isn't Pittsburgh."

"No, it's not but what it is, is the Gay capital of the world. If New York can't handle a couple of fags having dinner, I don't know who can. Justin, I will not go back in the closet and neither will you." Brian gave Justin a squeeze.

"Okay, I'm ready."

"Good, let's get Bree and John and go down. I told Cyn and Ted we'd meet them in the lobby." Brian, Justin, Bree and John went down to the lobby.

*****

"Kinney, party of six, I made reservations for seven," Brian stated with an air of authority that brooked no argument.

"Mr. Kinney, of course, your table is waiting." The maitre d' was courteous and efficient. He showed Brian's party to a nice table noting that everyone was dressed smartly. Brian thought it best to wear something casual but with a definite label. Even Ted looked good.

"My daughter gets a little impatient when she's hungry. Would you have the waiter bring a basket of dinner rolls?" Brian asked politely. He didn't want Bree to create a scene and Justin to become anymore anxious than he already was.

"Might I suggest our popovers? They're soft and warm. Most of our young patrons enjoy them." The maitre d' seemed to know all about children and their impatience.

"That would be appreciated," Brian answered.

"Then I'll have your waiter bring them while you look over our wine list." The maitre d' gave Brian a flirtatious smile then quickly scurried away. In moments their waiter came to the table with a large basket of fresh popovers. Everyone including Briana was impressed. Dinner went on without incident, well almost. Just as the group was considering dessert, a model thin woman glided over to their table and stood at Justin's chair.

"Excuse me," the young woman said. "You're Justin Taylor, the artist, aren't you?" Justin was a little startled that someone recognized him. Very rarely was he approached outside an art gallery. Justin's eyes quickly glanced at Brian for assurance. Brian gazed back and nodded.

"Yes, I am."

"Are you here for a show? I've gone to all of your gallery openings."

"Um, not at this time but I may have a show coming up soon."

"That's so cool. If you need a model, I'm available." The young woman flirted shamelessly with Justin who began to blush.

"Th...thank you but I rarely use models, except for one." Justin glanced at Brian again who dipped his head slightly.

"Oh?"

Justin prayed the woman wouldn't ask. "Well, here's my number just in case you change your mind, and could I get your autograph?" She pulled out a book that held many autographs she had collected on the streets of New York. Flipping to a clean page, she handed the book to Justin. "Just make it out to Nina." With a nervous hand, Justin signed Nina's book. "Thank you, I can't wait to tell my friends that I got your autograph. We all love your paintings. Bye!" The woman turned and wiggled away.

"Maybe I should have let you stay in our room, Sunshine. I'm not sure if I like being upstaged," Brian said with a smirk and then winked at his spouse. Later on when the check arrived, Brian took the check to sign then passed it to Justin.

"Justin, may I have your autograph?" Brian let out a giggle then the whole table laughed as Justin turned an interesting shade of red.

After dinner Brian and Justin decided to take Bree for a little walk to tire her out so she'd sleep. They asked the concierge where they would be wise to walk near the hotel and he steered them down the street. They walked along with Bree between them, each of them holding one of her hands. She stared at the bright neon lights and all the people.

"Lights," she whispered. "Lots of lights, Daddy."

"Yes, sweetheart, New York is a big city."

"A big, unforgiving city," Brian added thinking about his experiences in the Big Apple so far.

Bree looked up at her father. "Dada?" she asked starting to feel anxious. She didn't like the sound of Brian's voice. Something was wrong.

"I think it's time to take someone back to the hotel," Justin said with a nod to Brian.

Brian seemed to snap out of his mood. "Let's go to the end of this block and then we'll go back."

At the corner there was a little hole-in-the-wall tourist type shop. It was filled with everything gaudy and offensive that the tourist might ever want.

"Look, Dada," Bree called, pulling Brian and Justin towards the shop.

"What? What did you see, Squirt?"

"These," Bree said shaking her hand free and pointing to a table of domed plastic containers with the skyline of New York inside.

"You like those?" Brian asked with a frown. He would have thought his daughter would have better taste.

"Do you know what these do, Bree?" Justin asked.

Bree shook her head. "What, Daddy?"

Justin picked one up and shook it. The small sparkly pieces sifted down over the city.

"Snow," Bree said with wonder.

"Yep," Justin chuckled. It was always interesting seeing the world through Bree's eyes.

"Mine," Bree said reaching up for the globe.

"No, it's not yours. It belongs to the person who owns this store," Justin explained.

Bree frowned. "Oh," she said looking at her feet which she scuffed back and forth on the sidewalk.

Brian watched and smiled. Maybe they were getting through to her about everything not being hers. "How would you like to get one of these for Patrick?" Brian asked thinking this would be a way for Bree to have it while they were in New York and then they could give it to Patrick when they got home.

Bree scrunched up her face. She didn't want Patrick to have it if she couldn't have it. "No!" she said emphatically. "Mine."

Brian groaned. "Let's go. We're not getting one."

Bree watched Justin set the globe down on the table. He took her hand and started to walk away.

"No!" Bree cried. "Mine." She dug in her heels and refused to move.

"Briana, behave yourself," Justin warned. "You're not getting it."

"Mine, Daddy," she repeated as the tears started to roll.

"No," Justin said. "We're going back to the hotel."

"No!" Bree cried as she went into full fledged tantrum mode and sat down on the sidewalk.

"Enough," Brian stated. He grabbed his daughter and scooped her into his arms. He quickly started the walk back to the hotel with Justin running to keep up. Bree wailed and shrieked all the way back.

They hastily sped through the lobby of the hotel over to the bank of elevators. Brian pushed the button impatiently noting that most of the people in the lobby were staring at them. Bree continued to shriek.

"Fuck!" Brian groaned as the elevator door finally opened. He hurried inside.

"I wonder what the hotel thinks we're doing to our daughter now," Justin said with a shake of his head.

"Who the fuck cares?" Brian reacted as the door opened at their floor.

But they both knew that they did care. They would have to have a serious talk with Miss Briana.