- Text Size +

 

Chapter 8

"We should head back. It's almost one. We don't want to keep Adam Croft waiting." Ted and Brian had just finished lunch. Ted was paying the check with the company card so he could keep an eye on their expenses. A tall young blond was standing at the cash register waiting his turn.

"Brian Kinney?" Adam extended his hand toward Ted. Adam had a look of shock and disappointment on his face. Adam was in his early twenties and Ted was not.

Before Ted could correct the young man, Brian stretched to his full height and extended his hand. "I'm Brian Kinney, and you are?"

"Adam Croft, we spoke earlier." Adam gave Brian the once over. He was still disappointed that Brian wasn't closer to his own age, but nonetheless impressed. 'Much better,' Adam thought to himself as he firmly clasped Brian's hand. While Brian was not wearing a suit, his clothes did reek of expensive designer labels and he looked impeccable if not sensual.

"Theodore." Brian turned his gaze toward the accountant. "Why don't you run along and make sure everything is ready for…" Brian hesitated. He hated to use the title mister on someone who was young enough to be his son. "Mr. Croft." Ted nodded and left the diner.

"Call me Adam, please." Adam flirted with Brian and Brian could almost smell the pheromones seeping through Adam's pores. Brian, sensing a kill, began to relax but only a little. It was early days yet.

"Adam, it is. Tell me more about how you developed your little game." Brian led the younger man out of the diner, slowly making their way back to the office.

It was a typical Hollywood software story. Adam and a few buddies developed the idea for the game on their home PC in Brooklyn. They found someone who'd mass produce the game cheaply but they didn't have the money or the knowledge about how to sell the damn thing. They figured if they could get some ad agency to promote the game, cheap, and for the holiday season, they'd make a fortune. Of course, finding an ad agency in New York, a cheap ad agency was an impossibility. One of Adam's pals had a cousin who knew someone in Pittsburgh and he had thought of Kinnetik.

Brian was hard pressed to keep himself from bursting out with laughter. Some snot nosed kid knew somebody. 'Well, fuck me.'

"And what makes you think this game is worth millions?"

"We've already made a couple hundred grand by selling the games to local shops and friends but all the money goes back into production. We need to hit it big. If we can convince the manufacturer that sales are guaranteed, he'll advance us, so we can get through Christmas."

"And how can you guarantee sales?"

"The pre-orders, man! We have a website all set to go. We get a bitchin' ad, wrack up the pre-orders, submit the numbers to the man and we're in. Fast cash then sell the lot to Bill Gates or some shit like that. Millions, man, I can retire by twenty-five. Buy an island somewhere, suck up the pina coladas and anyone else I want to suck up."

"Sounds like a plan." Brian's snark went over Adam's head.

"A fucking better plan hasn't been made."

"I bet." They stopped at the front door to N'rgy and Brian took out his key. 'Please be ready,' Brian prayed as he opened the door.

*****

"Daddy, may I have a hot dog?" Bree asked slowly, carefully enunciating each word. She was still hungry after the cheese and crackers. She really wanted a hot dog, but thought it best to ask politely rather than yell out 'hungry'. That wasn't working so well anymore.

"Of course, baby. They have the best hot dogs here!" Justin remembered his days as intern, struggling to make ends meet, determined not to rely heavily on the money Brian always made sure was in his account. Justin kept all his receipts over the years. He stood by his loan agreement with Brian. Brian had no intention of taking back the money, squirreling it away in a special Sunshine Fund. Justin eventually found out and made a donation to Vic Grassi house.

"Look, Daddy! Hot dogs!" Bree pointed to a hot dog vendor. Justin ordered a plain hot dog for Briana and two with the works for himself. He bought a couple bottles of water and a large soft pretzel to share after. They sat on a bench in the park to enjoy their lunch.

*****

"That went well," Cynthia snarked, heavy on the sarcasm.

"God, I feel so old," Ken remarked.

"You? What about me? I thought I knew my way around computers but that kid was running circles around me. I didn't understand half of what he was saying." Ted flopped into a chair, scratching his head.

"Brian, you're awfully quiet. What are you thinking?" Cynthia said softly, not wanting to send her friend and boss over the edge.

"That fucking little twink! I'll show him..." Brian stood up and was about to fling his mug at the wall.

"BRIAN!" Ken, Ted and Cynthia yelled out before Brian could throw the mug at John's wall. The now covered walls. Ken had suggested that in New York modesty often took a back seat. Kinnetik should boast its successes. Cynthia had posters made up of all their memorable ads. Ken had them framed in gleaming silver trimmed frames. There was 'Eat the Meat,' the 'Pool Boy' ad, Liberty Air, 'Rage: the Movie' and many more. There were also pictures of the awards Brian and Kinnetik had won over the years. They all stood as silent testimony to Brian's genius. However, Brian wasn't feeling very genius-like at the moment. The kid had made Brian feel like he didn't know shit, worse, that Brian was over the hill and couldn't possibly know anything about selling video games to kids.

"I need air," Brian growled then slammed his way out of the office leaving Ken, Cynthia and Ted looking very sullen.

"He didn't dislike the ad," Ken said after some time. "But I guess it needs a slogan." Ted and Cynthia murmured their agreements. "Um, if you don't mind me asking, is this ad really that important? I mean from what I've heard, you have had other proposals, haven't you. I know this one could put N'rgy on the New York map but I do remember what you told me about Part Deux, that it was the smaller clients that Part Deux catered to that made it so successful. Could we start out with some of the other clients? Then maybe if this one falls through it won't hurt as much."

"And it would show Adam that we know how to handle the New York clients. Ken, you're a genius!" Cynthia cried out. She was in full agreement. N'rgy didn't have to put all their eggs in one basket.

"Then let's get to work." Ken pulled up his chair closer to the desk as Ted and Cynthia took out the other proposals.

*****

"Hey."

"Hey, Sunshine."

"What's wrong?" This time Justin was listening. He could hear the defeat in Brian's voice.

"Nothing."

"Brian." Justin heard the sigh.

"Where are you?"

"Back at the hotel, we needed a bath."

"What happened?"

"Nothing bad. We went to the Central Park Children's Zoo. Bree had a blast petting and feeding the baby animals. Then we had to have real New York sidewalk vendor hot dogs."

"Ah, truly New York's finest cuisine."

"Asshole, but nothing beats a New York water dog."

"If you say so, Sunshine. So why the bath?"

"Well, my water dog decided to fight back. I got covered in onions and relish and Bree smelled like a baby goat. We both needed a bath and now she's out cold."

"I take it feeding baby goats is very hard work."

"Exhausting. When are you coming home?"

"Late, I think, but John should be back there soon. He's done for the day. You should see the main office; he did a great job. He wants to confirm the airline tickets for Bobby and Patrick. They're coming tomorrow afternoon. He said he'd keep an eye on Bree if you wanted to go out and soak up a little New York culture without a two-foot little blond girl."

"Maybe. How's the ad coming along?"

"Okay."

"Just okay?"

"Early days, yet."

"Mmm."

"See you later?"

"Later."

Brian cut the connection then stared at his phone. Something was eating at him, something about Justin but he couldn't put his finger on it. He'd have to trust Justin to tell him in his own good time. Brian stood for a few moments when the sound of an old song broke through his thoughts. He was standing in front a boutique that specialized in vintage records. The window display had an old RCA Victrola and a replica of the RCA dog listening intently to the music. Brian pushed open the door.

"May I help you?" A very pretty and Goth looking salesgirl looked up when the bell over the door jingled Brian's entry into the shop.

"Just looking if that's all right."

"Please do." Brian marveled at the juxtaposition of the retro music and the Goth girl. Brian sifted through the racks of old 45's and 33's. The salesgirl changed the album to a classic Neil Diamond. Brian found the gravelly voice rather soothing.

"Excuse me, what song is that?"

"Play Me."

"I beg your pardon?"

"The name of the song, it's called 'Play Me' by Neil Diamond."

"Do you have that on CD?"

"Of course, let me find you a copy." Brian waited patiently as he looked around the shop. There were vintage clothes hanging from one rack and old posters of the Grateful Dead and the Beatles hanging on the wall.

"Here it is," the girl announced proudly.

"Thank you," Brian said as he pulled out his wallet. As the girl rang up his purchase, Brian took one of the shop's business cards and shoved it in his wallet. A self satisfied grin began to form on his lips. "Thank you very much." Brian Kinney left the shop.

*****

John got back to the hotel and took a quick shower. He donned a pair of sweats as Justin came out of his room wearing very stylish clothing.

"Hot date?"

"What?"

"The way you're dressed, are you meeting Brian somewhere?"

"Um, maybe. Do you mind keeping an eye on Bree? I don't think she'll wake up till morning. We had a workout feeding the baby animals at the zoo today."

"Baby goats and lambs will do that. Sure, no problem. I'm in for the night. I'll order up something later if she wakes up. I have calls to make."

"They're coming tomorrow," a statement more than a question.

"Yes, and the weather is supposed to be nice. Fall in Manhattan, my favorite time of year."

"Then I'll leave you to it. I just need a break."

"Go, have fun, just don't do anything I wouldn't do," John joked not knowing how close to the truth he really was.

Justin nodded then left the room.

*****

Brian burst into N'rgy waving the CD in his hand. He tore open the package and stuck the CD into the player, quickly forwarding to the correct song.

"Brian, what are you doing?" Ted looked at his boss as if he was crazy.

"Shush, listen." Neil Diamond's voice wafted in the office.

"Geez, Bri, that song's older than you are," Teddy griped.

"Shut up, Schmidt, listen to the words."

"Yeah, so that's a nice song but..."

"Ted, that's it!"

"What's it? What am I not getting here?"

"Wait." Ken perked up; a smile broadened on his face. "I get it!"

"Are you going to let the rest of us peons in on the secret?" Cynthia growled.

"Come Play Me! The slogan for the ad. The boys said it themselves. The ad has a retro feel to it. They just want to play it. Play Me. That's what we'll call it. The game has too many facets to make up a name that fits. It needs one generic name. Play Me!"

"By George, I think he's got it!" Ken shouted out with a bellowing laugh.

"Let's get to work!" Brian pushed up his sleeves and sat at his desk as Ted, Cynthia and Ken crowded around him.

*****

Justin was able to spend a little time at the Whitney Museum before it closed up for the night. He felt calmer than he had for days. He began to walk in the direction of his hotel fully intending to go back. But somehow he found himself on the street of Henry's office. He saw the bar that Henry had told him about earlier that afternoon. Justin hesitated, looking up and down the street. 'A drink with grown ups couldn't hurt,' Justin thought to himself then winced at the phrase grown up. "Gawd, I've been hanging around a three year old for too long," he muttered to himself. He pushed open the door and sat at the bar.

"I see you have an understanding wife; she let you out for the evening?" Henry had sauntered through the doors and took a seat next to Justin at the bar. He ordered a gin and tonic for himself. "Are you ready for another?" Henry asked, spying Justin's half filled glass.

"No, not yet, thank you."

"Where's your beautiful little girl?"

"At the hotel with my brother-in-law."

"Do you always go on holiday with your entire family?"

"I've been known to."

"Really, that must make for interesting travels."

"It does."

Henry's attempt at small talk and Justin's lack of response was beginning to frustrate him.

"May I get you another?" Justin nodded. Henry waved over the bartender. "He'll have another..."

"Beam, on the rocks."

"Bourbon? You don't strike me as a man who would enjoy bourbon."

"What do I strike you as?" Justin finished off his first drink then took a good long drink of the second.

"Beer, no, something more cosmopolitan, like a Cosmo or a Martini, extra dry."

"Beer is more my style."

"Then why the bourbon?"

"It reminds me of someone."

"Ah, the wife perhaps?"

"Perhaps."

"Tell me about her. Your daughter takes after you; that's quite apparent." Justin snorted at that comment. The alcohol was beginning to get to him; those hot dogs were long gone from his system.

"I think I need to eat something," Justin said slurring his words slightly.

"Of course, how rude of me. They have nice appetizers here. We can sit at a table." Henry nodded toward the small intimate tables in the room.

"Sure." Justin snatched up his drink and allowed Henry to lead him to a table. A waiter quickly brought them a menu. There wasn't much on it but the chicken wings looked appetizing. They asked for two orders. Henry ordered another round of drinks.

"What is she like?" Henry stressed the word, she, as if he already knew that Justin really meant he. Justin couldn't tell if Henry remembered that Justin mentioned his partner.

"Tall."

"Like me?"

"Taller, slim and very graceful."

"Graceful, a dancer then. You mentioned she was working. There are hundreds of shows getting ready for the holiday crowds." Justin burst out laughing at the image of Brian in tights and on a stage kicking up his long legs.

"Did I say something funny?"

"I'm sorry but that's the last career she'd choose."

"Two left feet, then?" Henry appeared amused.

"Something like that."

"Not very chivalrous, are you? You're supposed to defend your spouse's reputation to your last dying breath." Justin's reply was interrupted by the chicken wings. Justin practically inhaled the spicy, sticky treats.

"Easy there, they like to douse them in hot sauce here." Henry tried to warn Justin but it was too late. Justin downed the rest of his drink.

"Wow! They should come with a warning label," Justin said as he waved his hand in front of his mouth trying to cool off his burning tongue. Henry slid the menu over to Justin and pointed to the small print under the chicken wings, "Caution HOT!" Justin and Henry broke out into giggles as another round of drinks ended up on their table. Justin took another sip.

"All I know is that she's tall, very tall and slim. What about her coloring, fair like you?"

"No, dark, perpetually tan with flawless skin, deep brown hair with beautiful auburn highlights that shine red and gold in the sun. Mysterious changeable eyes. I've seen them go from golden green to deep forest in the matter of moments. And strong, deceivingly so, when B gets going, heaven help anyone standing in the way."

"You sound in awe."

"I am; I wouldn't be here if it weren't for..." Justin was suddenly stricken with guilt, feeling sick to his stomach. "I have to go."

"Let me see you home, or back to my place. It's just around the corner." Henry helped Justin to his feet and waved for the check. Justin was shaking his head and trying to take his wallet out of his jacket to pay his bill but his fingers felt like lead. "I'll get the check."

"No, I don't even know you." Justin kept fumbling for his wallet.

"Let's go outside, the air will clear your head. Don't worry about the check. I have a tab here." Justin pulled away as he finally wrestled his wallet out of his jacket. He opened it quickly and threw down several twenties, ignoring Henry's pleas. Justin's wallet was still in his hand as Henry led him outside and toward his own apartment.

By an alcove under a dim light, Henry drew Justin in close for a kiss. Justin could smell Henry's intoxicating cologne and his hardness pressing against his leg. Justin could hear Henry muttering wooing phrases. Justin turned as Henry leaned closer. He looked down at the wallet in his hand, to the picture staring at him. Brian holding Bree the day she was born, her tiny hand touching his nose, the day Brian lost his heart to their little angel. Justin pushed Henry away, sobering quickly.

"I gotta go!" Justin held the picture in his wallet close to his chest and ran down the street.