- Text Size +

 

 

CHAPTER SIX- LET LOVE RULE

BGun1.jpgBGun1.jpgBGun1.jpgBGun1.jpgBGun1.jpgBGun1.jpgBGun1.jpgBGun1.jpg

 

BGun1.jpgIt Takes A Fool to LearnBGun1.jpg

 

Michael dipped down in the seat, as he watched two of the cars from the ‘mystery' house depart. He couldn't deny he was tempted to follow them, since he knew one of the cars contained two of the men he'd regarded as close friends for many years. He wondered to himself, not for the first time, when Brian, Ted and Emmett had become so fucking close. As far as Michael was concerned, no one was entitled to usurp his position of ‘Brian's best friend.' And he meant NO ONE!

Which led to why he was still sitting in his car, after being there for a little over an hour, watching the constant activity- the comings and goings- within the property. The wrought iron fence was a major obstacle, as he couldn't scale it. He would have to either wait for Ted and Emmett to get back, if they were coming back, or risk being denied entrance by ringing the bell on the post he sat across from. Based on the less-than-hospitable reception he received from Brian earlier, that didn't seem like a good idea. He thought back to that particular confrontation as he contemplated his next move.

Granted, he was wrong for assuming the young woman who answered the door was Brian's housekeeper. His mother spent years working at the Liberty diner before she bought it, so he knew better than to disregard anyone within the service industry. But the young woman- Daphne, was her name- had treated him so coldly and looked upon him with such disdain that he couldn't help himself. He had to threaten her with Brian's wrath, if she didn't do as he asked. He mentally shrugged, believing his actions were well within his rights.

Then there was that little fucker, Justin Taylor...Justin Taylor-Kinney. He couldn't believe that Brian was still falling for Justin's bullshit, after all these years. Michael had practically shit himself when Brian said that he was getting married, but he nearly had a coronary when he'd found out to whom. Even now the idea that they were STILL attached, in any form or fashion, rankled. He wondered if Brian ever found out why he and Justin never got along.

From all accounts and the way Justin still treated him, Michael guessed that the real reason still remained between Justin and himself. Somehow, he had to find a way to tell Brian when they were alone....that was if he could ever get Brian alone. It seemed that whenever Brian and Michael were having a moment, Justin was always there, either physically or Brian's thoughts were always shifting to him. Which brought Michael to his next round of unanswered questions.

Brian...why did he treat him so coldly whenever he said something about Justin? He wasn't used to it. Brian- the legendary Stud of Liberty Avenue- being in love with anyone, but himself was a fucking abomination to everything Michael knew about the man. Brian was too selfish, too self-absorbed, too scarred from his childhood to ever give himself fully to another person. Well he was, until fucking Justin Taylor came along.

For years, Michael had longed to be the person who Brian changed for; to be the person he needed. Michael could never figure out how Justin had managed to gain everything regarding Brian that should have been HIS...his heart, his trust, his admiration and adoration. Michael, as Brian's best friend since they were fourteen, was entitled to those things. But then that fucking Justin Taylor entered the picture and all of Michael's hard work- all of his emotional sacrifices- went to shit!

Michael narrowed his eyes, as he remembered Brian telling him that he and Justin had important ‘business' so he wouldn't have time to see him, or hang out with him. After ten fucking years of not seeing each other, Michael hadn't even received a hug and an expected kiss in greeting; just indifferent words, except when it came to Justin. And what the fuck could Justin possibly do for a living that would require an ‘assistant?' The last time he'd bothered to check, Justin was a nobody within the art world. He was just a fucking kid with no money and big dreams.

When the fuck did that change?

Michael shook his head at all the thoughts, regarding Brian and Justin. He knew he'd missed a lot in Brian's life, but all the changes were just too much to process. He'd asked his mother about Brian all the time, and why he wasn't returning his phone calls; if he was okay, or did Michael need to move back to the Pitts to take care of him like he always did. All she would say was that Brian was busy running his company, and was out of town. Considering that he had a husband, Michael found himself jealous that Brian would return Justin's phone calls, but not his own best friend's.

As far as Michael was concerned, he was just as important as Justin. In fact, he was MORE important than Justin after all he and Brian had a shared history! David would often make several snide comments, about Michael staying stuck in the past while Brian was happily moving along in his life, which rankled repeatedly. Just because they lived in separate states, and lead very different lives shouldn't have negated their long-standing friendship!

Michael certainly didn't like the changes he'd noticed in Brian. He was still ‘young and beautiful', but he didn't have any fun. It was all business all the time, Michael could tell. And it was Justin's presence that caused Business Brian to totally blow off his best friend. Well if Brian wouldn't pay attention to him willingly, Michael decided that he would MAKE him pay attention. After ten long years of being apart, Brian could at least do that much.

With his resolve in place and his motive clear, Michael stepped out of his vehicle. First things first....How the fuck do I get inside the property? After minutes of searching, Michael still couldn't find a way without entering the front gates, but that didn't mean it wasn't there. His cell phone rung and he knew that it was undoubtedly David calling to check on his whereabouts. Sometimes his husband was the most insecure man on the planet, especially where Michael's friendship with Brian was concerned.

But then the sentiment went both ways with some of David's friends from college too, especially those other ‘professional' acquaintances that always seemed to make fun of his limited post-secondary educational experience. Michael had often wondered what David saw in him other than a playmate for Hank, but that was neither here nor there. They were married for better or worse, and if he wanted to stay that way, it was time to take the half-hour drive back to Pittsburgh. He would come back again tomorrow and try once again to gain access to the estate.

 

BGun1.jpg Back to Basics BGun1.jpg

 

Cynthia had just finished setting up services with the gas and electric companies, while Daphne dealt with the security company and the Water Company to have the house fully functional within the hour. Fortunately, most everything could be turned on remotely. The Water Company had an electric meter, so all Daphne had to do was pick a room in the house and the meter would start per the customer service operator's instructions. It was a good thing the former owners of the house had maintained a good working relationship with all the utility companies, and that their children had kept all of these things in working condition per the request of their real estate agent. It made showing the property a bit easier because of its isolation.

With that done, Cynthia and Daphne moved through the house looking for the ideal office space. They settled on the large sunroom at the back of the house, it was equipped with good lighting and a spacious design so that Brian and Justin wouldn't be in each others' space while they weren't training. Due to both Brian and Justin's business concerns, each had acquired internet via their cell phone companies. The compact devices could be loaded anywhere since it resembled a flash drive-- a very handy tool to keep encrypted files from falling into the wrong hands. It was also convenient for Daphne and Cynthia, since they would not need to have the local cable company come out to the house to set up internet service.

The two ladies worked efficiently to make everything pertaining to Kinnetik, JT Designs, and contract businesses readily accessible. By the time Brian and Justin sought them out, they had just about everything up and running as it should be.

 

Entering the office, Justin said, "Wow, you two dames work fast. It almost looks like there isn't any work to be done in here."

Daphne laughed. "With you, there is always work to be done, Oh Great One. I already know what you're thinking Justin, so don't bother."

"Have I become that predictable, Daph?" Justin asked, smirking at his best friend.

"Only to someone you used to take baths with since preschool. Cynthia and I are going to take one more turn about the property, and then we'll head out to stock up on supplies. What do you want for dinner?"

"Surprise me, although I wouldn't be adverse to a steak tonight. But then Brian can't have one. He'll be in training today and tomorrow."

"Mind not talking about me like I don't exist, Sunshine?" Brian drawled as he stood next to his husband. "I think I'm old enough to make up my own mind about what I want to eat."

Justin smiled brightly at Brian. "Okay, Mr. Taylor-Kinney, I'll make a deal with you and we'll let fate decide." At Brian's nod, Justin continued. "Come outside with me now. If you can pin me down, then you can have your steak tonight."

Brian sent a wary look over to Daphne. He narrowed his eyes, noticing the same sunny smile on her face and her wide innocent eyes. He didn't trust her or the devious little imp in front of him, but he couldn't resist saying, "Okay. But if I win, you have to eat salmon, which I know you hate."

Justin scrunched his nose. "I don't necessarily ‘hate' it, Brian. It's just never tasted all that good whenever I've had it. I doubt it will ever taste any better to me considering that fact."

"Nevertheless, you'll eat it. And don't forget we still have to speak with Deb and Jenn. I doubt you'll want to do that on an empty stomach."

"Fine. We'll do this your way, Brian but I already know you won't be getting that steak."

"Oh? How so?"

Justin smiled innocently, which immediately raised Brian's hackles. Winking, Justin told his husband, "You'll see." And with that the four of them filed through the patio doors into the bright sunshine of the backyard.

 

BGun1.jpg Business, Broads and Bullshit BGun1.jpg

 

An hour later, sore and tired, both Brian and Justin reentered the office area of their newly-acquired house. Justin had to admit that he really did love the space with its library feel, but the functionality of JT Designs away from headquarters. Daphne and Cynthia had really worked hard to make the space all it could be for the duration that Brian and Justin would be in their self-imposed exile. He missed Britin already, but he could definitely appreciate the new purchase.

 

"Ready to get this over with, Sunshine?" Brian asked.

Justin could detect the same note of reticience in his husband's voice, which matched his own present mood. Even after the workout they just had, in which Justin rigorously trained Brian in Kempo, Justin would still rather be back in boot camp as opposed to dealing with his mother and her nemesis. He sighed before answering. "Let's just get the shit over with, Brian. I want a bath and then some sleep."

"Ah... Are you admitting that I'm a tough student as well as a formidable opponent, young Taylor-Kinney?"

Justin couldn't help but laugh, as Brian affected Pat Morita's voice when he played the karate-guru Mr. Miagi in the Karate Kid. That was one of the things he loved best about Brian. He was a helluva impressionist when it came to old movies, and always got the accents just right. "Of course I'll admit to both, dear," Justin said in falsetto before switching back to his real voice, "but we now have to deal with our mothers. What grown man alive looks forward to that when it won't be good news. I don't know about you, but Jennifer Taylor has the ability to make a grown man feel twelve years old when she gets her scolding rhythm going; I'm not looking forward to it at all."

Brian chuckled and nodded. "Debbie has the same talent. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some secret handbook for all mothers titled ‘How to Guilt Your Sons 101.' Fuck, I wouldn't be surprised if those two actually WROTE the book."

"So how should we play this, Brian?"

The older man crossed the room to where Justin was standing. Brian wrapped his arms around him, tucking his blond head under his chin. It often amazed Brian just how well Justin fit in every single groove, hill and valley on his body like a missing puzzle piece. He felt Justin's hands, gripping the back of his shirt as he pressed closer into Brian's heat. "I think the best we can do is to lay out our terms, and give them a few hours to think about it. This way it will also buy us some time to strategize if the answer comes back in the negative," Brian answered.

Justin nodded, even as he burrowed into Brian's body a little deeper. God, he missed the feeling of Brian's arms around him. Unfortunately, he couldn't dwell too much on that fact, having to focus on the business at hand. "I like that idea, but we should agree to meet in a public setting with them and the company we're keeping. I know Mom will be at least be civil in that setting; she is a WASP after all. Appearance should mean everything to all of us high-siddity human beings, regardless of what goes on behind closed doors. I also think Vic, Carl and Ben should also be present. They usually have calming effects on both Mom and Deb, and can help them to see the bigger picture beyond just their simple wants."

"Agreed Sunshine. Also with the fact that Michael is in town- which means David is not far behind- I think we should do it early enough over drinks so that the Camerons won't interrupt the meeting."

"You know, Brian, I've been thinking about Michael and David."

"Oh?" Brian asked, although he was fairly certain what his husband might have been thinking about.

"The timing of Michael's visit is... How much of a coincidence is it that we're literally on the fucking chopping block now, and a major distraction lands square in the middle of it?"

"What are you suggesting, Justin? We know that Michael is not a spy or an assassin; he could never be in this business. We would spend half of our time saving his ass."

Justin laughed as he pictured Michael in tights and a cape, playing superhero. But his humor was short-lived. "That's true, Bri. But it's not him per se, and I have a feeling all is not what it seems with this. The timing is just off somehow."

 

Brian didn't have a chance to analyze his husband's statement further, since both of their cell phones were ringing. Noting that both Debbie was calling on Brian's phone and Jenn was on Justin's, both men opted to take Cynthia's advice and place the women on speaker. Plugging both units into portable external speakers, Brian and Justin accepted each of the calls to begin negotiations.

 

"Hello Ladies," Justin said politely.

"Justin, what the hell are you talking about? There is only ONE lady on your phone and that's your mother," Jennifer huffed out. "You know why I'm calling, so cut the shit. I'm totally not in the mood!"

Justin chuckled at the clipped tone Jennifer was using with him. He was already prepared for ‘Mommy Dearest' to show her hand by first intimidating him, or at least trying to. "No Mom, you're wrong. Since Brian has to have the same exact conversation with Debbie, he and I decided to make this a joint call so you'll all receive the same information, and we won't have to repeat ourselves unnecessarily. You are on speaker along with Brian, Debbie and their team so watch what you say please."

"What the fuck do you mean, we're all on speaker? Brian this is family business," Deb squawked.

"Exactly, Deb. This is family business, and whether the two of you dames like it or not, Justin is MY family. So you have only one option at the moment and that's to listen to all Justin and I have to say," Brian said sternly. He wasn't going to allow Deb and Jen to try pulling rank with them. The time for that has passed and it was time both women realized it, and at least tried to be reasonable.

"Semantics, Brian," Jenn said. "In any event, let's get down to business, shall we? The bottom line is that you and Debbie need to back off and let the Taylors take that account. We're better equipped to handle what they're asking for."

"How do you figure, you harridan?" Debbie asked nearly screeching. "Brian and the team we've amassed here are just as skilled- if not more so -than the pretty boys and girls you employ."

"It's quite simple really, Debbie. You all lack finesse and tact, from the head of your organization to the fucking janitor."

"Now you listen here, you Waspy bitch! I've had just about all I will take of being insulted! You..."

 

Brian and Justin stood there listening to the two women argue, sometimes laughing at the abject foolery and barbs they traded, while becoming increasingly annoyed at their antics. Both men doubted that left to their own devices, these two headstrong broads would be able to see the bigger picture, or even the fact that they have a common enemy descending on them, and their constant discord could get them all killed.

 

"ENOUGH! E-fucking-nough of this shit!" Justin yelled. When his unusual outburst obtained the required result of silence, he continued, "We really don't have the time for you two to come to blows over a fucking contract. In case neither of you have noticed, the same way you received the invitation to apply for it, so has Sapperstein and a host of other agencies in our line of work. Now your options are very fucking simple: either combine companies or Brian and I will walk. Whether we start our own or not is of no consequence. You have three hours to weigh your choices, at which time we will meet at Papaganos to discuss the pros and cons of such a merger. Brian and I will NOT negotiate or change our stance on this. Are we fucking clear about our options, ladies?"

 

Brian looked at his seemingly innocent, mild-mannered husband in awe. Hearing the implacable tone of voice, and seeing his all but belligerent stance while he addressed the two moms was such a fucking turn-on. He grabbed Justin in a heated embrace, taking his mouth as forcefully as the words had left it, pulling moans from the blond with the practiced ease of a master.

 

"Oh my God! Are you two gonna fuck while we're on the phone?" Deb gasped, listening to the groaning of both men.

"Justin, that is so rude! You should never let your mother hear those types of sounds pour out of you! And Brian, release his mouth and whatever fucking body part you're holding right this second! That's just.... oh my God, that's just..."

Brian and Justin detached, chuckling in the process. They could hear both Ben and Vic in the background, grousing that they miss all the opportunities for free porn starring Brian and Justin, and that they needed to somehow find a way to live stream the moments when they are together. They were such comical and good natured pervs that Justin whispered in Brian's ear, "Well that was probably the most effective way yet to redirect their attention to the matter at hand."

"Hm, Sunshine, I do believe you're right." Brian smiled, before turning serious and directing his next comment to Deb and Jenn. "Now that Justin and I have gained your full attention once again, Vic, Ben, and Carl, Justin and I would also like you to sit in on the meeting this evening. The most trusted members of our teams working with us will also be there."

"Who's that?" Vic asked, already nodding his head in agreement with Brian and Justin's tactics. He knew they would come up with something as he'd already told Debbie. As far as he could see, it was the only viable solution other than letting Brian and Justin go their own way, which would be the biggest mistake of all for both companies.

Justin answered. "I have Daphne and Emmett working with me; Brian has Cynthia and Ted. I also think, Mom, that you should bring in Lindsey and Brian is all for Melanie coming to the meeting."

Brian also added some of his thoughts on the matter. "Considering that Michael, and by default, David are also in town, we think the meeting should be held two hours before scheduling dinner with them. Justin and I would prefer to keep to Papaganos for this enforced ‘family' reunion as well."

"Why? And what's the deal with this David?" Jennifer asked. She really didn't know the man, but from what she did hear about him through her contacts, she wasn't apt to like him either.

"David is my son-in law," Debbie responded to Jennifer's inquiry. From the way she nearly choked out the words, there was certainly no love loss in that quarter. "The thing is that the timing of his and my son's visit is all wrong."

Brian and Justin looked at each other. It almost amazed them to have their own suspicions confirmed, but they needed whatever information Debbie had to put it all together. Brian asked the question directly, "Debbie, is it possible that David works for one of the competing agencies?"

He felt the silence, more than heard the initial lack of response before Carl joined in the conversation for the first time. "We just received word a bit ago that David Cameron-- Dr. David Cameron- works for Gary Sapperstein, son. The information was sketchy at best, until a little over an hour ago when one of our informants saw him leaving Babylon in the middle of the day and looking extremely pissed off. After doing some more research on the matter, and before we called you, we've found out that there are two top assassins in Sapperstein's organization, and David is one of them. We wouldn't put it past him to try something tonight at dinner."

"Having so many of his enemies in one place though could act as a deterrent, or a catalyst for action. How can we contain the threat?" Ben asked.

"I'm not entirely sure that we can," Justin said. "I wouldn't put it past the fucker to use Michael to ease us all into a false sense of security. Lord knows I've already had more than my fill of the man today alone."

"Wait! You saw my son today? Where?" Debbie asked, genuinely confused.

"He came out to Britin, and it is safe to say that he was neither expecting Justin to be there, nor was he happy with my reception of him since we were on our way out and preparing for this meeting," Brian answered.

"Where are you two now?" Jennifer asked. "I went by the house and neither of you were at home. So I came into the office on the off chance that you would come in and speak with me, Justin."

"Where Brian and I are is of no concern of anyone, unless we choose to share our location. What does matter is that we will be at the restaurant at the appointed time." Justin knew that if he had gone into the office to impart the news, there would have been a major argument and he just wasn't in the mood to stay calm or to rationalize his and Brian's decision with her. Having made the decision to stay together, Brian and Justin had no intention of buckling under the pressure of guilt and a false sense of duty. "That being said, I think you both have a lot to think about."

Brian interjected, "In the meantime, I would suggest that you both seek out the lawyers and have them draw up a list of what you would each desire if this merger is to work. You can still work as separate entities, even if you are under the same company. With our current contracts and those the merger will garner, I have no doubt that everyone will find the deal satisfactory."

"It seems you boys have given both Raven and I a lot to think about," Jennifer said.

"We have," Justin agreed. "And wouldn't it be better to have half of a mega company, than to lose the best two in the business? That is the question you and Deb have to answer, Mom. At the end of the day, what's more important? You and Deb have literally worked your asses off to get to the top, so why risk bringing it all down over a fucking government contract? We'll see you all at six," Justin said, right before he and Brian disconnected the calls.

"So what do you think, Sunshine? It went about as well as I expected."

Justin laughed. "Our mothers sure can curse! I've never heard my mother call anyone a ‘Strawberry Motherfucker' before. That was definitely new."

"And Deb calling Jen a ‘Bitch throwback from Fraggle Rock'....Geeze! What the hell are we going to do with them when they agree to the merger?"

"I don't know, Bri. Maybe somehow they will find their peace then. This fight between them has lasted so long it's a wonder they still remember why they hate each other."

"I guess the competition among women in the business breeds that kind of hatred." Brian pulled Justin closer to him and wrapped his arms around the blond's waist, bringing him up on his toes. "I'm glad I don't hate you."

"It was touch and go for a while there though, wasn't it?" Justin asked.

"No it wasn't, at least not for me, Sunshine. I spent many days wondering where we fucked up, when we stopped having something to say that consisted of more than our schedules out of town or dinner plans. It was real lonely without you."

"Same here, Brian. I didn't know what happened to ‘us' as a couple instead of just being Brian and Justin Taylor-Kinney. It almost felt like our marriage was in name only for awhile. Then the distance and space between us just seemed to grow wider; it began filling up with secrets and thoughts that had nothing to do with our jobs. I missed having my husband, my lover and my best friend, Brian."

"I missed you too, Justin. So that only leaves the question of what's next. How do we get back to where we were before life happened and the honeymoon stage ended?"

 

Before Justin had a chance to answer, Daphne, Cynthia, Ted and Emmett came into the library/office. Any talks of them and where their relationship was going in spite of deciding to stay together would have to wait. Each of them filled the newcomers in on the conversation with Debbie and Jennifer, advising that they needed to be at Papaganos at six. Brian instructed Cynthia to call the restaurant at reserve the usual room used for Kinnetik business. They had already paid a year's retainer fee so if there was some other party booked in the room for the night, it would have to be given another.

Justin advised Daphne of the new contracts, and to get in touch with his personal attorney. There were some other stipulations that Brian and Justin wanted put into the future contract, which had to do with increasing their profit sharing options. Ted nodded at that little bit of information, and advised the group assembled to seriously consider doing the same since they all owned a share of their respective companies as they were. By the time the group finished discussing the pros and cons that were bound to come up during the discussion with Deb and Jen, and all of the phone calls were made, it was time for them to shower and get dressed for dinner.

Brian dressed in his black-on-black Armani; Justin resplendent in his cerulean blue shirt and tie against his navy Hugo Boss suit. Brian stood behind Justin in the mirror, taking in their appearance as well as the worry in his husband's eyes before he could mask it completely into cold indifference. When had Justin learned to do that in Brian's presence?

 

Brian pulled the blond in close, relishing all-too-briefly the body heat which radiated from both of them. "I would much rather stay here with you. We could get naked and have hot sweaty sex. Then when it's all over, we could lay there and I could hold you, all wet and sticky."

Justin turned in Brian's arms and smiled. "And waste a perfectly good occasion to wear this suit like the sex god I am? Nice try, Mr. Taylor-Kinney. But if you behave, I might let you peel me out of it later right before hot sweaty sex and then you can hold me all wet and sticky."

"Twat," Brian said, smiling affectionately at his most favorite person in the world. "You have a deal."

"Well then let's get this show on the road. I think we have more pressing matters later on that facilitate the need to get this shit over with."

 

With one brief but meaningful kiss of promise, Justin and Brian left their bedroom to meet up with the others, each hoping that the night wouldn't turn out to be too long...well not with the family anyway.

 

BGun1.jpgManipulations and Machinations BGun1.jpg

 

David anxiously awaited the arrival of his wayward husband back into their hotel room. When David had last spoken to Michael, he assured the impatient man that he would be arriving within the next hour saying that he needed to see his mother first. Okay, he could buy that since it had been a good long time since they had seen the loud redhead or her mild-mannered brother, Vic. But this was beyond the pale! Michael was fifteen minutes later than he had originally said, and it left David to wonder if the reason Michael was kept a prisoner of time was because he was elsewhere with his best friend, Brian.

As he paced the room, David thought Michael needed a lesson about not keeping promises. Apparently, Michael had forgotten the last time he pulled such a stunt with him. Orgasm Denial was David's weapon of choice then, and it had been effective in teaching Michael to be a man of his word. David smiled viciously, remembering that day three years ago and how Michael had begged for release; how he'd pleaded for mercy! Often in his fantasies, he replaced Michael's incessant whine with the raspy tone of Brian Kinney.

The thought of doing so again made David instantly hard, just as Michael walked in through the door of the luxurious hotel room.

 

"Hi Honey, sorry I'm late. I finally caught up with Ma. She invited us to Papaganos for dinner tonight. Everyone is supposed to be there at eight," Michael said, while beginning to undress.

"Everyone? Everyone like who?" David asked.

"I don't know exactly other than her, Carl and Uncle Vic. I imagine Brian and Ted might be as well."

"And Justin? Will he be there, too?"

Michael frowned at the mention of the blond. "I don't know, and I didn't ask. As far as I'm concerned, he could jump into the Monongahela River; it wouldn't be a great loss."

David noticed Michael's annoyance, which answered several things for him. The first was if he was finally over his obsession with Brian Kinney, which was a big glaring NO. The second was if Michael had finally accepted Brian and Justin's marriage- another NO. The third was if Michael would step aside and allow David to have Brian, if something were to happen to Justin... again the answer was NO, which meant that he would have to make sure Michael was out of the way personally. David smiled cooly, while hiding his innermost thoughts from his naive, unobservant husband.

"You know, some might beg to differ that Justin's loss wouldn't be great. Brian definitely wouldn't like that statement, coming from you. They've apparently lasted much longer than the six months, you had originally given their marriage."

Michael derisively snorted in response. David hated that sound coming from him, but once again, Michael was oblivious. "I still don't buy it, David. I mean, so what? So what that he's even more beautiful than he was the day he met Brian? It still doesn't make up for his personality disorder."

David stiffened at Michael's description of Justin. "What did you say? You've seen Justin?"

Michael froze. He heard the sudden menace in David's voice. He wondered at its source, and how the truth would affect David's current mood. If he knew that Michael was late, due to actually going to Brian and Justin's house in West Virginia, he would be upset and Michael really didn't want that... or to answer questions that could cause an argument amongst other things. David wasn't the most patient man most days, so if he found out that he'd been kept waiting because of Michael playing Brian detective, things could go south really fast.

Michael did the only thing he could do in that moment, with self-preservation to the forefront of his mind. He lied. "I saw a recent picture of them at Ma's house."

"Oh? How recent?" David asked, knowing that something was fishy about Michael's story, but not able to pinpoint it. The reasoning coming from his husband was indeed plausible. But there was something wrong with Michael's tone, which instantly raised David's mental red flags.

"According to Ma, it was taken last month at one of Justin's shows. I don't understand the big deal about that fucking kid. It's not like he's Picasso, or that Van guy, or an artist for Marvel and DC Comics or something. He belongs teaching finger painting to preschoolers!"

David laughed. "Michael, Justin Taylor's talent would be wasted drawing comics for the rest of his life. And for the record, he's quite famous. His art is in high demand all over the world, and he has commissions with some of the biggest corporations, which commands no less than six-figures, both here and internationally."

He took great pleasure in the shock written on Michael's face as he finished. For the first time, Michael was getting a long overdue reality check in the disparity between himself and Justin Taylor. David had done more than a little research on his nemesis. And thanks to his office manager, he owned several pieces of Justin's work, which were kept at his office, where Michael was never allowed to visit. Even he had to admit, the young man was beyond talented.

Yes, it's going to be such a shame when the art world loses young Taylor's talent after I kill him, but Michael doesn't need to know that.

 

"Oh so what, he can paint pretty pictures; he's still useless! I can't understand why he would need an assistant for that Kindergarten bullshit he calls art. No one understands it, especially me."

"Yes well, not everyone has limited..." David cut off the thought, realizing what he was about to say to his husband.

"What?"  

"Nothing," David hedged. He decided it was time to redirect Michael's attention to the fact that he had broken a promise to him, by being late regardless of the reason. "You know, Michael, I really missed you today. And then you were late coming back here."

"I...I know. But I apologized for that, David. It took me forever to track down Ma. She's always so busy lately."

"I'll bet she is," David mumbled.

"She's thinking about buying another property down the street on Liberty, and expanding the Diner. I can't understand why, but apparently the population in the area surrounding Liberty Avenue has grown in the last few years. She said the wait at the diner is over an hour now, during the busier times of the day."

"Nice to hear business is going so well for your mother," David said nonchalantly. "But you owe me some time."

"I know," Michael said in a small voice, already knowing what David meant to do to him.

He sighed heavily. He hated when David got into one of his dominant moods. Everything had to be done his way, and no matter how much Michael begged and pleaded, David wouldn't relent. They had spoken only once of the last time, David employed such tactics on the shorter brunet, and Michael had told David point blank that he didn't like what he did to him. But David just laughed at the time, telling Michael not to fuck up again so there wouldn't be a need for such a hard lesson given.

It confused Michael, and pissed him off at the time, mostly because prior to meeting David, Michael had engaged in BDSM and had actually enjoyed it. The guys he'd had scenes with before, all seemed to respect him and his wishes, even if they still couldn't compare to his very first Dom. But with David, it was torture; bordering on abuse! Michael didn't have any choices in the matter at all, and often enough his safe word was completely ignored. It was shaping up to be an afternoon where it would definitely happen again, depsite all of David's former promises that it wouldn't.

He sighed again before asking in a small voice, "What are you planning to do to me, David?"

David smiled, he knew that Michael had understood what he had in mind; it was a benefit of being married as long as they had. "That depends on you, actually."

Michael looked into David's eyes then. "How so?"

"Answer me this question honestly, and perhaps I'll go a little easier on you than my mood warrants right now."

"What's the question?"

"Why didn't you ever tell Brian, or me that Justin was the Dom, who initiated you into BDSM?" David nearly laughed aloud at the look on Michael's face, when he imparted that information.

"How...how did... Who told you that?" Michael stammered. It was the one secret that Michael had never wanted to get out, primarily because Justin was technically underage when the scene occurred, and Michael had wanted more from the little blond dynamo. The other was because the little bastard became Brian's husband.

"It doesn't matter who told me. Do you envision him, while I fuck you during a scene, Michael? Is it his dick you mentally suck, when I order you to suck mine? Is it his cock you crave, while I pound into you?"

"No. NO! I hate that little fucker!" Michael stated a little too adamantly, and quickly for David's liking, which meant that his husband was lying.

"Prove it." David crossed over to his suitcase and took out the object he'd bought earlier in the day in anticipation for Michael's return. He fingered the gold collar in this hand, sliding his fingers over the smooth metal to open the small clasp. "Put it on," he ordered.

"I...I don't want to," Michael said, his small voice the only sound in the room other than his harsh breathing.

"You don't want to? From the pictures I saw, you love to play the bitch, Michael," David whispered, sensually. "You love getting fucked doggie-style, while the collar is being pulled."

"That was then..." Michael argued, his breath quickening.

"And this is now. If you truly don't think about Justin while you and I engage in a scene, then you shouldn't have a problem wearing this, and letting me fuck you in the same manner he did."

"David, this is ridiculous..."  Michael tried to reason.

"Not to me, it isn't," David answered.

"I'm with you...only you. I think about you and fantasize about you...ONLY you, David. Please don't taint what we have because of that part of my past, and misplaced jealousy," Michael pleaded.

But David wouldn't bend. "Put it on."

 

When Michael saw that all of his pleading with his husband wouldn't change David's mind, Michael put the collar on. It was uncomfortable and rubbed his skin a little, but he wouldn't complain. It wouldn't do any good anyway. Had David asked, Michael would have told him that he preferred the leather collars more than the metal ones. But apparently, that wasn't the point; what he wanted never mattered to David.

How the fuck had David found out?! He was sure Justin hadn't told him. Strangely enough, even Michael couldn't think the worse of the young man being the culprit of spilling the secrets of their briefly shared past. And in a rare moment of wide-open clarity Michael could see that, even more than him, David couldn't really tolerate Justin, even though he supposedly admired the younger man's work. The question of why that was drummed into his brain, even as the heavy weight of collar dug into his skin, when Michael bowed his head in preparation for the rest of his punishment.

 

"You will wear the collar for the rest of the night, Michael," David intoned, satisfied that his initial order had been obeyed.

"I can't go to dinner with this thing on! What will everyone think?!"

"Who the fuck cares what they think, Michael? I'm your husband, and what I think should be the most important thing in your mind at all times. Not your mother or her husband; not your uncle and certainly NOT your best friend or his husband. Is that understood?"

Michael swallowed hard, and closed his eyes before answering, "Yes...yes Master."

"Good. Then let's begin," David said, while attaching a silver studded leash to the back of the collar.

 

Two hours later, Michael was sore, bruised and tired as he sat in the tub, preparing for a dinner he was no longer looking forward to. He was happy when David exited the room, deciding that the two of them needed new suits if they were going to dinner at Papaganos. Michael bowed his head in shame, as he recollected the moments of his torture, reluctantly comparing them with Justin's treatment of him years before. Even at seventeen, Justin had much more finesse than David, anticipating Michael's every need before, during and after a scene. With David, he just didn't give a fuck, causing Michael to wonder if he ever did.  

When Michael had told Justin that he wanted things between them to be more permanent, Justin had quoted a no-repeats policy similar to Brian's. Whereas Michael could somewhat understand Brian and where it came from, it rankled that seventeen year old, Justin didn't want him. A few years later, when Brian introduced Justin as his fiancé, Michael was not only hurt but angry as hell. How dare the little shit be able to fulfill his deepest wish and fantasy while Michael wasn't?! There were so many feelings wrapped up in that moment: anger, betrayal from both Brian and Justin, resignation and resentment.

Unfortunately, they were still a key feature in Michael's interactions with Justin, even now. It sucked to be Michael Charles Novotny-Cameron in ways that no one could possibly understand. Breathing deeply and trying to get his emotions under control again before David came back, Michael resigned and reconciled to his life once again. He was with David for better or worse... and it felt like he'd just entered the worse category. There was nothing more that he could do to prove his devotion to his husband; only hope that Justin wouldn't be at the dinner. His presence would definitely add more fuel to David's fire.

And that was something he really didn't need.