- Text Size +

 

Brian's day started fine. He and Justin woke up at the same time, cuddled a little and hit the shower together which took them longer than when they had a separate ones.

 

Brian drove him to Starbucks and shared breakfast together, then drove straight to his office. For once, he arrived before his ever reliable and punctual assistant, Cynthia.

 

She had to double check if she wasn't seeing a mirage of his boss and that he was really there before her. Cynthia always arrived at seven thirty on the dot and was one of the few who were early birds.

 

They had a little friendly banter about it for few minutes but then they started to work on an account that Brian was working on since last week. Cynthia updated him with his reschedule meetings since he canceled a couple of it yesterday when he chose to stay home with Justin.

 

Just minutes after nine o'clock though, Michael had started calling him and predictably asking so many questions about their aborted party and the ‘stupid fuck buddy’ that Brian had to chase the other day.

 

Brian tried not to lose his temper. But listening to Michael ranting about Brian's life like he had a say in it was utterly ridiculous. And Brian hadn't forgotten about the deliberate attempt to break him up with Justin. It was sickening.

 

He took a deep breath and told Michael as calmly as he could, though he was seething inside, that it wasn't his business to know anything about his private life. If he wanted Michael to know, Brian would tell him without being forced. But because he didn't, it should have been an obvious sign that Brian didn't want him to know.

 

Then Michael had become a little hysterical and he even mentioned the ring that Brian had on his left ring finger. Brian cut him mid sentence and told him he had to end the call because he actually needed to work, unlike Michael. He ended the call by saying, “One advice, Michael, get a fucking life.”

 

Not a second later, his phone was blaring again and Michael was now in full blown hysterics. Brian was in the end of his rope and yelled at Michael to stop calling. He once again ended the call and turned his phone off.

 

Brian had a peaceful ten minutes before Cynthia was buzzing him about Michael calling on line two. Michael didn't call his office that much after the accident and Cynthia was kind of relieved on that small favor from his boss’ obnoxious best friend.

 

Brian was seconds away from throwing the phone to the wall, but that wouldn't make Michael stopped bugging Cynthia and so he answered the phone and shouted to Michael that he wasn't playing games with him. He was actually working and lots of people were waiting on the papers that he needed to review.

 

“You never care if your employees would wait hours for you, Brian! But you always care about me! Why are you doing this to me?! It wasn't enough you breaking up with me but you have to get yourself a fuck buddy?! Who is that fucker, Brian?! When did you start fucking him?! You didn't do fuck buddies, you trick you son of a bitch!”

 

“Hey, I'm going to say this once Michael and you need to get it through your head. What I do with my life isn't your business, and whoever I want to be with is my decision. I don't want us to be like this, Michael, and I don't want to be cruel to you but you are pushing me to do it. Now, you listen to me, people break up all the time. It hurt, yeah, but that's life. We have to dust off ourselves, picked up the pieces and moved on. It's hard but it would be harder if you keep hoping that there's still anything left for us because I'll tell you, Michael, there is nothing left for us. I already belong to someone else and that someone else is not you.”

 

Michael was silent, but Brian could hear his heavy breathing.

 

“One more thing, I might've not respected my co-workers before but now is a whole new different game. If you really love and prefer that Brian, then I would have to tell you to forget about him, that Brian was gone-- he isn't coming back. This is me now and I love being me.” Then he ended the call.

 

He buzzed Cynthia and she came in after few seconds.

 

“Cyn, I don't want to receive any calls from Michael until I'll tell you so.” Brian looked up at Cynthia who lifted her eyebrow up.

 

“That's all?” She asked nonchalantly.

 

Brian nodded and she murmured a cheerful, “Great”.

 

He was kind of taken aback by her reaction. He was expecting her to get misty eyed like the other day when she learned that Brian was with someone else now. Brian surmised that she, like most women, got attached with his and Michael’s long relationship and the promise of ever after. It must've been painful to see it shattered.

 

But now, she acted like she was glad of his decision of banning Michael's call. Well, maybe she was just not in the mood to sulk or she had actually accepted that he moved on. Either way, Brian hadn't had the time to ponder it much.

 

After ten o'clock in morning, Cynthia called again saying that Michael was at the lobby fighting with the receptionist. She said the security was on his way to throw Michael's ass out of the building.

 

Brian told Cynthia to let the security handle him. He didn't want to do this to his once best friend but this was too much even for Michael. He knew they both needed to cool down for few days and talked when they were not high with emotions. Maybe by then, they could actually talk and Brian wanted to lay some ground rules. He wasn't going to tolerate Michael's bullshit anymore.

 

He had a peaceful day after that. He called Justin from his office line at one thirty telling him about Michael. Brian told him he needed to turn his phone off and gave his partner his direct line to his office.

 

Justin sounded a bit sad and Brian kind of understand why he would feel like that. But when Justin whispered that he loved him and he would be waiting for him in the evening at their house, Brian spent few seconds thanking the power that be for bringing his partner to his life.

 

Because he came so early, Brian was out of his office by five. He decided to go and get Justin from school and have dinner together. He was thinking that coming to the office earlier had an advantage actually. He could start his day having breakfast with Justin and he could get him from school to go home together.

 

He was bouncing with excitement with this realization when all of a sudden a screeching Michael was barreling in front of him. He was literally spitting fire and Brian was actually worried for his friend’s sanity.

 

Brian just looked at Michael and waited for him to take a breather. This was getting out of hand and Brian was really tired having to face this entitlement issue all the time.

 

“Are you finished?” Brian tiredly asked when Michael stopped his rant. “Did you even go to your store since this morning?”

 

“Is that what you're going to ask me?! My store?! I can't believe this, Brian! You owe me an explanation, you owe it to me to be honest, you owe me the life that I am supposed to have if you didn't have that stupid accident!” Michael was foaming in his mouth.

 

“Michael, for the last time, I don't owe you shit. Whatever we had, we mutually agreed to it.” Brian felt this wasn't worth anymore, trying to make Michael understand wasn't worth the effort anymore.

 

“But I never agreed to breaking up with you!” Michael shouted. Good thing there were only few people on the employees parking lot at that time.

 

“Michael, just stop this.” Brian roughly rubbed his face with his hands. “You know it would be futile to hang onto the relationship when we both know that I don't feel the same way before. I've been saying this over and over again but you have to move on. Let's just be happy for each other, why can't you do that for me?” Brian said frustratedly.

 

“You want me to be happy that you have moved on from me?! That you are now with some stupid schmuck and you didn't even care to tell me?! How could you do this to me, Brian? I should be the one you are going home to, I have been there for you when you don't have anyone! Now, you just give my place, the place that belongs to me for nine fucking years, to someone who doesn't deserve it!” Michael was flushing, his nose was flaring and his hands were in tight fist.

 

“I don't know what else to do to make you understand, Michael. I don't know why I even bother explaining, it's not worth it to spend a single second talking to you in circles. Michael, we've been friends for so long, I may not remember all of it, but you are the first one who thought that I'm worthy enough to be their best friend.” 

 

Brian thought to give Michael one more chance. This might be futile because their friendship was already hanging on the thread, but Michael and Debbie was the only family that he knew for so long.

 

“Despite everything, I don't want us to end the two decades of friendship. Please, let's just stop this before we say things that we probably regret later on. And I'm warning you to stop badmouthing my partner. You don't know anything about him, so you don't have the right to belittle or criticize him.”

 

“I don't care about your whore! I can call him anything I want because he's a slut who takes you away from me! When I see him, when I know who he is, I will let him know how horrible person you are! How after I have stood beside you, you just kicked me to the curb like yesterday's trash. Do you think he will like that, huh, Brian? Do you think he wouldn't question himself if you would do that to him, too?” Michael said pointing his index finger on his chest several times.

 

Brian caught his finger in a tight grip and said through clenched teeth, “Might as well couldn't remember loving you, because I couldn't stomach being with someone so despicable as you!”

 

With that, Brian released Michael's index none too gently and turned to walk to his truck. Brian had done everything he could do, Michael was not worth the chance that he even consider giving him. Brian was so furious, he needed to get away from Michael before he could do something that could land him in jail for physical assault.

 

But before he could step further, Michael held his elbow and forcefully turned him back.

 

Brian faced the still livid Michael.

 

“You will regret hurting me like this, Brian. I swear, you will regret breaking up with me and dumping me like one of your tricks. You are mine, Brian. Always remember that.”

 

Michael gave him one last fiery look and turned to leave in a hush. Brian stood for few minutes more, feeling a little unsettled. He knew Michael since they were fourteen and even though it took Brian a little time to like him, he truly cared for him as a brother. He could say that Michael was his only friend growing up as teenager and Brian didn't mind that he didn't have more.

 

Knowing Michael brought mixed emotions for him. He couldn't understand some of the smaller man’s attitude, and sometimes, he couldn't even stand him but decided to let it go in exchange for the hero worship Michael was giving him.

 

Brian always knew that Michael had developed a huge crush on him. It weirded him out at first but he later on used it to get his friend’s attention and devotion. He knew it wasn't right for him to dangle Michael like that, but Brian was so troubled that he was hungry for anyone's loyalty.

 

But Brian had grown out of that hungry feeling or the attention seeking as he graduated from high school and had to face the world outside his parents’ house. He had learned that there were so much life ahead of him and he could possibly get it if he just did it right.

 

That was the time he focused even more on his study and was so thankful for the scholarship that had been granted to him. Not that he took it for granted before, because he worked his ass off just to make sure his academic was exemplary for him to get the spot for scholarship.

 

And he got it. He became a college student who devoted his time in molding his future by focusing on his studies. He was a straight A student since high school, and Brian planned on exceeding it in every way.

 

Brian hadn't date in all his life and he honestly didn't have time to even contemplate asking someone out due to his hectic schedule. But he started to entertain the idea of having a life so opposite from his family. He knew it wasn't easy to find someone that could both understand and respect him, someone who was strong yet so tender and someone who would love him completely for who he was.

 

He knew there would be a guy for him out there, a guy who he would love and loved him in return, a guy who he would spend his life with until they grow old. But, because he had a very unstable family that he grew up with, it made him skeptical and a bit wary to start looking for his right guy. In his mind, if he was fated for someone, then someday, somewhere, somehow, it would happen. That's when he started calling him ‘Dream guy’ in his head.

 

He decided not to look for it instead he would wait for the right time. It wasn't like he had a spare time going out with someone when he was busy studying and researching all the time. He also started working at a record store for four hours everyday.

 

That was how Brian remembered his first year in college. He was busy as a bee and hadn't even gone out tricking the whole summer before his sophomore year as he started interning at Ryder agency which he really enjoyed so much. He hadn't seen Michael that much, too, since he started his freshman in college. He had totally forgotten about his secret satisfaction on Michael's hero worship that he yearned most of his teen years.

 

What happened on his sophomore year in college was a big question. The years following it until he was thirty one was a big hole that Brian honestly didn't know if he would retrieve again. What had happened to him on that years and what molded him to become the asshole that he was, was still a big mystery to him.

 

Going back to Michael, he was the one constant in his life. He might not give Michael the love that he wanted from him, but Brian was sure that he loved his friend like the brother he never had. They had shared so many memories, the good and the bad ones, and many naughty ones too. 

 

Michael was always demanding, he whined his way to get what he wanted, a boy who was used to be the center of attention. He was possessive and a little selfish, it was due to the fact that he grew up as an only child. But Michael was never this loathsome.

 

This Michael that he had just encountered was nothing like the Mikey he used to know. This Michael had turned out into vengeful and vile. He didn't know when Michael became like this, but Brian surely didn't like how Michael had grown up to be, too. Apparently, they both grew up to be assholes.

 

No one could blame him for what had happened after the accident, could they? It wasn't as if he asked to be hit in the head and had a memory loss. Brian had tried to give his and Michael's relationship a chance, but he guessed it just wasn't meant to be. He was nothing but honest to Michael about his feelings or the lack thereof. He thought his friend would appreciate his honesty because Brian certainly would if he was in Michael's shoes.

 

He took a deep shuddering breath and continued to walk to his truck. He glanced down on his watch and saw it was five thirty. He still got time to be at Justin's school by six.

 

He texted his partner that he was outside waiting as soon as he parked on the curb. And within few minutes, Justin opened the passenger door waving to some of his classmates and hopped in.

 

“What a nice surprise, Brian.” Justin smiled at him strapping his seatbelt securely on his body.

 

Brian leaned toward him and caught his lips in a searing kiss that left them both breathless.

 

“I just thought that we can have a nice dinner by the hill. I'm craving for seafoods tonight. Is that okay with you, mo chroí?” Brian asked and worried his lower lip.

 

Justin's eyes twinkled and nodded saying that he was already salivating for grilled lobster.

 

The evening was great and they both enjoyed their meals and each other's company. Though, Brian noticed that Justin was a little subdued from his usual quirkiness. And if he was being honest, Brian was still tense from his altercation with Michael at the parking lot.

 

“Are you still thinking about last night, Justin?” Brian asked as they walked hand in hand from the restaurant to Brian's truck. The weather was freezing but there weren't any snow falling.

 

Justin halted their steps and looked at Brian for few seconds. “I'd be lying if I say I wasn't thinking about it most of the day.”

 

“Are you… are you doubting me? Were you thinking I would go back to Michael when I can remember again?” Brian moved a little closer to him and looked him straight in the eyes.

 

“I don't doubt you, Brian… and I honestly wasn't thinking about you wanting to be back with Michael again.” Brian thought Justin was looking a bit remorseful. “I was just-- I was thinking how much I love you and I'd do anything to be with you. Anything, Brian.”

 

Brian could swear Justin was talking about something other than the literal meaning of his words. He lightly shivered and hugged his thick trench coat to his suddenly cold body. He couldn't be sure if the shivering was from the cold or from Justin's words.

 

They continued walking to the truck and not long after they were parking in front of their house. Brian contemplated telling Justin about what Michael had done and said that evening, he didn't want his partner to worry more than he already had. But in the end, he thought he needed to tell Justin, he promised to never hide anything anymore. They had promised to face everything that comes their way together and Brian didn't want to break that promise.

 

Justin didn't say much after Brian told him about what Michael had said, and he was looking contemplative and irate. Brian gave his partner a big hug whispering sweet nothings to his ear that elicited a loving smile and later a scorching kiss.

 

They ended up in bed and Brian proceeded to show how much he loved his partner by worshipping his body and made a long, slow and passionate love to him.

 

They both ended up sleeping right after they orgasm with Brian's cock still deeply buried inside his partner's ass. Brian was lying on top of Justin with his nose planted on its usual favorite place, on the juncture of Justin's neck and shoulder.

 

The quietness of the night was being disturbed by the incessant ringing of Brian's phone. It blasted for several rings then going to voicemail, but it went off again just after few seconds.

 

Brian frustratedly ran his hand on the night stand blindingly looking for the offending machine. When he finally had it on his hand, Brian answered it without checking the caller ID.

 

“‘Lo?” He croaked while hugging Justin's torso and placing his head on the crook of Justin's neck.

 

“Brian?! Brian, this is Debbie! Brian, it's Michael, please-- Brian can you hear me?” It was Debbie sounding frantic and scared. Brian sat up abruptly that had Justin stirred up looking disoriented.

 

“Deb, what's wrong? What happened?”

 

“Brian, Michael is in the hospital. He-- oh god, I'm freaking out. My son, my baby-- Brian, I'm freaking the fuck out.” Debbie was in borderline hysterical.

 

Brian stood up and started to search for his clothes that had scattered on the floor.

 

“Tell me what hospital, Deb, I'm coming.”

 

“Allegheny.” Then Brian told her he was on his way.

 

Brian finished getting dressed as Justin sat looking bewildered in the bed. 

 

“What happened, Brian? Who's at the hospital?” They both looked at the digital clock on Justin's nightstand and saw it was already 3:35 am.

 

“It was Debbie on the phone. Michael is at the hospital. I don't know what happened, Deb was far from being coherent and collect.” Brian was fully dressed and went to sit on the side of the bed. “I need to go and check on them.”

 

Brian might still be angry with Michael, but in case like this, even Brian knew how to set aside his emotions.

 

Justin nodded, “Yeah, of course. You call me later, okay?”

 

Brian nodded and put his hand on Justin's nape and pulled him to Brian, kissing him so hard. When they separated, Brian gently pushed Justin back to the bed and tucked him in.

 

Justin sleepily smiled and Brian kissed his head. “I better go before Debbie would have a heart attack. I love you.”

 

Justin whispered back, “I love you, too.”

 

Then he was alone. Justin was alone in their room looking out at the dark, velvet sky through their glass windows. His conscience was eating him inside and Justin felt a shiver ran through his whole body. 

 

He knew the dynamic of their relationship had shifted since he and Brian met at the Starbucks, too much had happened in so little time. Justin had everything he wanted but he still couldn't truly feel at peace.

 

He was honestly torn on what he had to do, all the little details were beginning to show, and Justin couldn't take anymore on how Brian was being treated in the past two years. And Justin was not innocent, either, and it was what killing him inside.

 

Justin only hoped that Brian would be strong enough to handle the truth. He hoped for them to survive this, he was hoping Brian loved him enough to forgive him from everything that he had done.

 

Justin prayed for strength, he prayed for courage and he prayed for his and Brian's future. How he wished that it would stay the same as they had at that moment-- but after everything would be revealed, Justin was not so sure anymore. 

 

He knew it was the time to tell Brian about the truth, the complete truth. Justin loved and respected his partner and he didn't deserve this kind of wicked mind manipulations from the person that he thought who had his best interest. 

 

Justin painfully realized that he was one of those people who was cruelly misleading Brian's life. His longing to be with Brian wouldn't justify the fact that he was outright lying to the man he confessed to love, the one who had given him everything without question. That was how trusting Brian was to the people he cared about, meaning Justin and Michael. Brian accepted what they were telling him knowing they wouldn't do him wrong. 

 

Well, Justin hadn't told him any lies, but he also neglected to tell the truth, and he honestly didn't know if there was distinctly difference between the two.

 

This was where Justin's fear came about, he could lose everything after telling Brian the truth. He wouldn't only lose the man he loved but most importantly his trust and respect for him. This what was stopping Justin from saying anything, he was too scared to lose what he and Brian had especially now his partner was loving him in a way that he thought he could only have in dreams.

 

Few minutes more, Justin finally succumbed to slumber after being emotionally drained from thinking too much.

 

***

 

Brian ran through the hospital’s main entrance and made a beeline to the Accident and Emergency department. He was just about to ask the front desk about Michael when he heard Debbie's voice on one corner of the building. He turned and found his friend's mother in a hallway talking loudly to the doctor.

 

Brian ran to them wanting to give support to her and learning what was happening.

 

“... my son is not suicidal! How many times I told you that Michael is a happy man, he doesn't have any reasons to want to end his life! I don't appreciate you concocting lies that would get my baby in trouble.” Debbie said indignantly to the doctor who had already looked frustrated.

 

Brian halted on his tracks after hearings the words Debbie was saying to the doctor. Did Michael tried to kill himself after their altercation that day? He couldn't believe what was happening.

 

“Mrs. Novotny, as a doctor and you being Mr. Novotny’s mother, I need to tell you everything regarding your son’s medical condition as well as his mental state. He intentionally drink several bottles of liquor and take a number of sleeping pills at the same time. I talked to him for few minutes when he woke up after performing gastric lavage to pump out his stomach contents.” The doctor took a deep sigh. “And he knew what he was doing, he was aware of its effects. It was intentional, Mrs. Novotny.”

 

“He doesn't have any reasons to do that! My son is a happy go lucky kind of guy and I don't know any problems that he might be having. I'm telling you that he must be drinking with his friends-- here!” Debbie was suddenly pointing at Brian who was standing silently just few feet away from them. “This is Michael's friend, Brian. He'd tell you my son is not suicidal. My son doesn't need to see a fucking shrink or be thrown to a looney bin!”

 

The doctor turned to look at Brian who looked a little tense to be suddenly put on spot.

 

He cleared his throat and said, “I'm not with Michael tonight. How-- Who found him?”

 

“Emmett. He was just coming in from Babylon and found Michael in the living room foaming from the mouth. Are you sure you weren't there drinking with him? I always tell you that you drink too much and you make my son drink too much!” Debbie was beginning to get agitated again looking daggers at Brian.

 

“I haven't been drinking since my accident, Debbie. And Michael is an adult who can make up his own mind if he wanted to get shitface.” Brian sternly told her as she started to run her mouth again.

 

The doctor was clearing his throat, “Uh, please, can we talk about the patient first? I am needed by another patients in this hospital.”

 

Debbie shifted her eyes to the doctor, “My answer is no. I'm not giving you any permission to put my son with crazy, suicidal people. He is perfectly sane. He just had way too many drinks and maybe took few pills to help him sleep. I know that's what happened.”

 

The doctor resignedly shrug. “Okay, that's your call, Mrs. Novotny. I ordered for your son to be transferred to the ward in third floor. We need to monitor his vitals for twenty four hours and if everything goes well, your son can go home Saturday morning.”

 

Debbie nodded.

 

“Okay then, I need to go see my other patients. The nurse will inform you when your son is already in his room.”

 

With that, the doctor walked away from them. Debbie looked up at Brian who was furrowing his forehead in deep thought.

 

“Debbie, are you sure Michael doesn't need what the doctor has recommended?” Brian asked looking at the woman who he once wished to be his mom. As he expected, Debbie's eyes narrowed and glared at him.

 

“What the fuck are you talking about? Are you insinuating my son is suicidal? Are you, of all people, agreeing to that stupid fucking doctor that Michael did this intentionally? You fucking kidding me!”

 

“Debbie, I am not insinuating anything, I was just thinking that the doctor might have a reason to recommend evaluating Michael's psyche. They are the doctors, for god sake!”

 

“Well, I don't fucking care if he is the president or the fucking pope. My son is perfectly fine. End of discussion.” With that, she stormed off to the end of the hallway and went into the waiting room.

 

Brian followed her and found that Emmett and Ted were already sitting huddled together in a corner. They both flickered their eyes up at him then looked away in just a matter of seconds.

 

They all sat on each side of the room until the nurse informed them that Michael was already resting in his room in third floor.

 

They all went together silently and saw that Michael was in a room with at least six other patients that were only separated by curtains. Brian hang back from their crowd and let the others hovered over Michael.

 

He heard his friend croaked when his mother smothered him with hugs and kisses, and maybe a slap on the head. That made him smile a bit, that was what Debbie would always be, a mother to his only son.

 

“Where's Brian?” He heard Michael asked in a weak voice.

 

He turned to see everyone was expectantly looking at him. He walked inside the curtain to Michael's side who broke out a smile upon seeing him.

 

“Brian!” Michael said, reaching his hand up to him. Brian hesitantly closed the small gap between him and the bed and took the offered hand who clutch on his in a demanding, possessive way.

 

“Hey, Michael.” Brian tentatively greeted.

 

“Hi. I'm glad you're here. I know you will be here for me, you will always be here for me.” Michael crooned sweetly, taking Brian's hand to his lips and kissed it. 

 

Debbie, Ted and Emmett were all looking at each other, having the same expression on their faces, their ‘what the fuck’ faces.

 

Brian reflexively yanked his hand free from Michael's hold as it landed on his friend's lips and backed away a little from the bed. Michael was looking at Brian with his puppy dog eyes.

 

“Brian, come closer, sit beside me. I want you here beside me.” Brian hadn't seen Michael being this overtly lovey dovey outside his loft.

 

Brian looked around the room and he saw the others were seemingly surprised watching their exchange. He glanced down to his wristwatch and saw it was already 5:25 am. He needed to drive Justin to his work and maybe spent some time with him over a coffee and bagels. Michael seemed to be fined and Brian had to go to work later.

 

“Uh, I need to go. My--” Brian started to say.

 

“No!” Michael shouted and cut him off. “I don't want you to go!”

 

“Honey, don't stress yourself too much. It's not good for you. The doctor only allowed us all to see and check on you but they have a strict policy for the time of visiting. I can only be the one to stay.” Debbie tried to explain to his agitated son.

 

“But I want Brian to stay. Let him stay, Ma, and you can go with Emmett and Ted.” Michael reasoned with his mother.

 

Brian waited with baited breath, but he knew he wouldn't be staying with Michael even if he would demand for it.

 

“No, Michael. I am your mother and Brian needs to go to work in few hours. You'll be going home tomorrow morning, so Brian can visit you later.”

 

Michael was about to argue but Debbie looked at him pointedly.

 

“Okay. But Brian, come back and stay with me today, okay? You need to be here with me.” 

 

Everyone was bewildered by Michael's overtly clingy way. They were all used with him being Brian's shadow, and it became more apparent after Brian's accident. It was almost as if he was monopolizing Brian's attention. And it didn't help Brian in restoring his connection with his other friends at all, instead it made him more aloof and distant.

 

“I'll try, I have bunch of work at the office, what's with the holidays and all. I'm glad you're okay, though, Michael.” Brian said as he was edging toward the opening of the curtain.

 

“Make sure to be here, Brian--”

 

“We are going too, Michael. Get well, okay?” Emmett interrupted the supposed demand that was starting to grate on Emmett's nerves.

 

“Yeah, Michael, I have to go to work, too. Debbie, let me know if you need anything.” Ted sympathetically said to both mother and son.

 

“Thank you for coming, guys. We'll have a little get together tomorrow welcoming Michael back home.” Debbie invited and looking at Brian pointedly.

 

They all nodded in affirmation and let themselves out of the ward as quietly as they all possibly could. All the other patients were still sleeping and they didn't want to disturb their rest.

 

They walked out the hospital in uncomfortable silence until they reached the parking lot.

 

“Uh, Brian, maybe you want to join us for breakfast?” Emmett said when Brian started to turn to where he parked his truck.

 

Brian looked back at them and smiled a bit. “Thanks for inviting, but…” He worried his lower lip. “... I have someone waiting for me. Bye, guys.”

 

He turned to continue walking while his friends were gawking at his back. Brian knew what they were doing and he intentionally did slip that information. It was a way to confirm what they heard at the loft Tuesday night.

 

He decided it was time that he would bring Justin to their circle. He wanted his ‘family’ to know how happy he was with his new partner and he wanted to make Justin feel that he wasn't keeping their relationship a secret to those people who he called his family.

 

When he parked the truck in front of their house at six o'clock, Brian smiled knowing his partner didn't expect him to be home this soon. Justin should know that he always comes first and Brian wanted him to feel secure in his place in Brian's life.

 

“Brian, hey you're back so soon. Is Michael alright?” Justin asked as he hurried to him from the stairs. Brian waited for his partner at the bottom of the stairs looking at the incredible man that he called ‘his heart’.

 

He received his hug and kisses from Justin and deepening it by tilting his head a little backward. He missed Justin just for that few hours away from him and his kiss had been an obvious way of telling him that.

 

“Good morning, mo chroí.” He whispered to his mouth as he released it from his intense morning kiss.

 

“Good morning, Brian.” Justin greeted back while biting his lower lip. Brian followed the movement with his eyes as he felt his manhood got harder. Justin wasn't aware of how sexy he looked like without even trying.

 

He leaned down to catch the luscious lips again, then stared down at his partner. “You ready to go to work?”

 

“Yeah, I wasn't expecting you, but I'm glad you are here.”

 

“Me too, my heart.” Brian lead his partner out of their house and drove them to Justin's work. They still had time for breakfast and few minutes to chat about Michael's condition.

 

“The doctor wants Debbie to consent the psychological evaluation and maybe see a shrink, but she refused. She said Michael just had way too much to drink.”

 

Justin looked thoughtful for a minute, then asked, “You don't agree with her, do you?”

 

“No, I don't. I think Michael is up to something and he thought it would make me want to dump you and go back to him.”

 

Justin fidgeted with a piece of tissue. “Would you?”

 

That question broke Brian's heart. This just confirmed how Justin wasn't still feeling secure with his place in Brian's life.

 

Brian reached to hold his hands and said with all conviction, “I would never, ever leave you for anyone, Justin. Please, believe that, okay? We could face more hurdles than we both can count on our little hands and feet but I promised you that we are going to overcome it together. No matter how hard life would throw us, we would both face it hand in hand. Please, believe that, mo chroí.”

 

Justin's eyes suddenly filled with tears but he held it and drew a deep breath. “Even if you will know that I'm… that I'm not the man who you think I am?”

 

Brian's brows knitted together in confusion. “What do you mean?”

 

Justin looked down to their still twined fingers. “Everyone has a past and some… secrets, Brian.”

 

Brian was staring at his partner. “I know we all have a past, Justin. I even have one that I can't remember and I have told you how bad I actually was according to my friends. I fucked and treated men like trash while still being with Michael, I gave up my son for god sake. So, what past that could be much worse than mine? And even if you have a not so good one, Justin, it was in the past. This-- us, here-- this is the present and will be the future. You are my future, mo chroí.”

 

Justin's tears had finally rolled out and Brian wiped it with his thumbs cradling Justin's face with his hands. Brian kissed him after that, until it was time for Justin to get to work.

 

Brian went to work that day a little tired and sleep deprived. His body had already adjusted with his and Justin's pattern and with only few hours of sleep, Brian could actually feel the difference in his stance.

 

Cynthia, blessed her heart, who was always one step ahead of everyone had kept the unwanted calls at bay and limited the employees visit for him that day.

 

He called Justin that he'd be going to pick him up after school but had to go visit Michael at the hospital after, Brian was actually wanting to confront Michael about this supposed accidental overdose.

 

Justin was fine with it. But when they were home and Brian was changing his suit, it only took him one glance at Justin's direction and saw his naked torso to make him abandon his previous plans and pounced on his partner.

 

He made love to Justin on the carpeted floor of their room and the sound of wet skin slapping skin and the mixed moaning and grunting were the only thing anyone could hear for almost thirty minutes.

 

Brian loved to feel his partner's ass, every ridges and contractions were more heightened to its fullest extent when there weren't any barriers between them. Brian wouldn't trade this feeling for million asses in the world. This was the only ass he would want to be in, the only ass he wanted to plow for the rest of his life.

 

He nipped on Justin's neck as they both trying to calm their breathing down. Justin was running his hands on Brian's back so softly that almost made him sleep.

 

“Brian, let's have dinner first before you go to the hospital.” Justin's voice was gentle on his forehead.

 

“Yeah, I'd love that. Let's eat at Romeo's.” Brian automatically answered running his tongue on Justin's collarbone up to the back of his ear. Brian's hands had started to knead the perfect globes of his partner's butt and Justin had started to rut his half hard penis on his still wet cum that was on Brian's abdomen.

 

When Justin moaned loudly and his thrust became frantic, Brian caught his lips and gave him a fiery kiss. Brian started to move his once again hard cock, that was still inside Justin's hot cavern, in a slow in and out motion.

 

Brian felt the hotness and the wetness of his cum inside Justin. It was so good, it was heavenly, actually. Brian thrust slowly, just feeling the sensation of his cock and his cum gliding together inside.

 

Justin was thrashing again, he was moaning incoherently and tried meeting Brian's thrust with his ass.

 

“Harder, Brian...” Justin whispered, then Brian abruptly pulled out. Justin whimpered at the loss of contact, but before he could verbalize his protest, he was being flipped to his stomach. 

 

Brian put his arm on his partner's abdomen and pulled him up until Justin's knees were bending and his ass was up high in the air.

 

Brian could still see his cum coating Justin's pucker, some had been trailing on his thigh. The sight made Brian growled like a lion in heat and couldn't help but taste his own spunk. Justin yelped when he felt Brian's tongue lapping on his entrance, then moaned loudly as he inserted his tongue inside.

 

Brian hummed in satisfaction as he continued to stick his tongue in and out, while he was drooling down Justin's balls. He held both Justin's cheeks apart to have a better access.

 

“Brian… fuck… Oh god!” Justin said incoherently while slowly stroking his rock hard cock in his hand.

 

Then Brian pulled his tongue out running it to his perineum to his balls down to the dried streak of cum on his thigh.

 

And in a matter of seconds, Brian was penetrating him with his cock as he growled and held one hand on Justin's hip and the other on his shoulder to guide the motion of meeting their thrusts against each other. The impact was hard every time their bodies meet and Justin was honestly at the edge of unconsciousness. He knew his orgasm would hit him hard and he wanted to savor it for few more moments.

 

Brian was continuously growling and grunting and sometimes biting Justin's neck. God, this was nothing they both had experienced before with any other men. What they had at that moment had strengthened the bond that was binding them as one, marking their souls to the point where nothing could break the ties that keeping their lives intertwined.

 

They were both in nirvana, swaying to the music that the two of them only knew. They were the one who composed the rhythm and sang the tune together. They were soaring up to the highest heaven while still connected as one, connected from inside out.

 

When they came, they both could swear that they were being brought down to earth by a cloud.

 

Brian didn't want to pull out and he didn't have a reason to do it, too. That was the best thing of doing it raw, they could even sleep with him still inside his partner, and that's what they were doing most nights.

 

They waited a little bit to calm down before showering and got dressed to go and get dinner. The evening was great in their own way, a way they both loved, simple and quiet yet a very satisfying one. 

 

They were almost finished with their meals when they heard from one of the patrons at Romeo's that there were some Christmas Art extravaganza at Carnegie hall and they were both interested to check it out. It turned out to be a great way to spend the rest of the evening.

 

They strolled the hall full of mixed arts. They had varieties of Christmas paintings, sculptures, hand crafted pots, dresses, house decors, different Christmas trees and jewelries from ancient to modern age. It was a spectacular display of arts that had been around even before the civilizations.

 

They went home before midnight and had been talking about their Christmas plans. Brian was sure that Debbie would invite him for Christmas Eve dinner along with the family. He asked Justin to come with him and be finally introduced to his friends, but his partner refused saying it wouldn't be good for Gus if his Christmas would be ruined if some of Brian's friends wouldn't react appropriately.

 

Justin was right, they both know Michael would not close his mouth just because of Gus. Brian wanted his son to have a memorable holidays, something that he didn't have.

 

Maybe he could bring Justin to meet his friends after New Years. He'd make sure they would attend one of Debbie's Sunday dinner and he'd bring his partner to introduce to them.

 

When they came home and got ready for bed, Brian noticed that he had forgotten his phone on his night stand. When he picked it up, he found his voicemail was full and that he had twenty eight missed calls.

 

His phone was in silent mode since morning and he had forgotten to turn the sound on again. He checked his call log and found Michael had been calling him since after lunch until just ten minutes ago. There was two calls from both Emmett and Ted with the last one just half an hour ago.

 

Brian had totally forgotten about Michael and his suppose visit, and he didn't want to call him that late at night knowing he would only demand for him to come. He opted to call Emmett instead, but when he called, Emmett didn't answer his call.

 

Brian just shrugged, he knew Debbie would call when there were any emergency. He decided to call Emmett again after brushing his teeth and settled for bed. When he was waiting for Justin and sat his back on the headboard of their monstrous bed, his phone vibrated on the night stand.

 

Justin came in from the bathroom and noticed that he was staring at his vibrating phone. Brian mouthed ‘Emmett’ at him and proceeded to answer the call.

 

“Emmett, hi.” Brian greeted and paused to listen to the other line of the call.

 

Justin settled beside his partner who automatically opened his arm to let him snuggle closer which Justin happily obliged.

 

“I understand… that's okay, Emmett…”

 

Brian was absently running his unoccupied hand on Justin's arm soothingly.

 

“I was planning to visit after having dinner but then… yeah, I was with my partner.”

 

Justin lovingly kissed Brian's shoulder.

 

“So, he is doing well?... Uh-huh…”

 

Justin settled his face in Brian's neck and breathe him in while tracing his index finger on his partner's happy trails.

 

“You do that, mo chroí, and you will not be sleeping tonight.” Brian playfully chastised his partner who giggled in response. “Oh, I'm not talking to you,Emmett-- yeah, I was talking to my-- yeah, I call him mo chroí.”

 

Justin looked up and nipped at Brian's chin.

 

“You all going to meet him soon… no, not on Christmas… ok, I'll be by your apartment tomorrow at ten… yeah, bye.”

 

Brian ended the call and put the phone on the night stand.

 

“Brian, I didn't mean to distract you from going to the hospital--” Justin suddenly said.

 

“Hey, I never thought you'd do that intentionally. I honestly don't want to visit him, and the display we saw at Carnegie, was pretty distracting.” Brian kissed Justin's temple.

 

“So, Michael is okay? Why did you talk to Emmett and not Michael?”

 

“I had my phone on silent all day today, Michael was starting to get his claws on me, I suppose. He apparently calling me since lunch making my voicemail full and left twenty eight missed calls. Emmett and Ted had called, too. I thought calling Emmett would be better than Michael. He told me Michael was queening out, and Emmett was already enraged by it. He asked me what I fed Michael to be this over the top clingy, more clingy than he usually was.”

 

“Michael wants you there.”

 

“Yeah, I figured that much. I'm sure he thought I'm going to run over there every time he calls. So, according to Emmett, the doctor is releasing Michael tomorrow morning just like what he told us last night. Debbie is giving him a welcome party.”

 

“You're going?”

 

“Yeah, I honestly don't want to, but Gus would be there. I can ask Lindsay to let me take him tomorrow instead of Sunday. Then, we can spend the day with just the three of us.”

 

“That would be great. I missed that little guy. I'll get some groceries while you have breakfast with them.”

 

“Take a cab, okay?”

 

Justin nodded and they both shifted to get comfortable. They shared few lazy kisses and drifted to slumber.

 

***

 

Brian consciously turned his phone off. He was being mean, he knew that, but he also knew by now how vicious Michael could be. Brian still felt that his ‘accidental’ ingestion of ‘few’ sleeping pills while having ‘way too much’ alcohol was precisely premeditated. 

 

Michael knew what he was doing and he perfectly knew what would the outcome be. Brian was also aware that Michael would probably milk this situation in anyway he could.

 

He honestly didn't want to attend the ‘welcome’ brunch for Michael. It almost felt like Brian was rewarding Michael for being stupid or better yet, being manipulative.

 

He drove Justin to the grocery store five blocks away from their home and sped off to Michael and Emmett's apartment. He found his friends’ cars already parking on the curb and Brian readied himself from the onslaught that was awaiting on the other side of the door.

 

He could already imagine how the morning would be like, Michael would guilt trip him from not visiting yesterday, then he'd cling on him like an octopus. His friends would back Michael up and ganged up on him for being an asshole who didn't give a shit if the world around him collapse. He only cared for his dick to get sucked or stuck in someone else's ass. Yeah, he had heard all of that over and over again for two fucking years.

 

As he predicted, Michael played the scorned sick friend who fired thousands of questions for not visiting him the other day. He subtlety assessed his friend's condition and he satisfactorily concluded that Michael was better than fine.

 

Good thing his kid latched on him the moment he stepped on the apartment and Brian didn't let Gus get off his lap.

 

“Where's daddy's heart?” Gus innocently asked his father when they all settled on the dining table.

 

Brian smiled at his son who sat to his left looking up at him with sippy cup in hands. Brian took Gus’ right hand and placed it to his left broad chest.

 

“Here.” he softly said that made Gus giggled.

 

When Brian looked around the table, he saw Emmett with a tender expression on his face. Michael was scowling who looked like he swallowed a whole lemon, while Ted was amusedly looking at him. 

 

Brian was kind of surprised by Emmett's reaction, usually he and Ted could not wait to laugh at his expense. But he was sure that Ted was just waiting for his time to taunt him about his supposed partner.

 

He saw Ted at that precise moment leaning to say something on Emmett's ear, then he saw their eyes looking at his ring. Brian let them gawk some more and didn't even flinch when Ted leaned to Mel’s ear.

 

“Yeah, how's your ‘heart’, daddy?” Melanie goaded with an emphasis on the word heart. She was inciting a reaction from Brian.

 

Ted snorted but hadn't said anything, he just shoved a huge piece of bagel to his annoyingly smirking mouth. 

 

Brian didn't give them the satisfaction of stirring his emotions, they weren't worth eliciting any response from him. He noticed Michael was silent on the other end of the table, a scowl was still pasted on his face. 

 

Mel was getting okay the past few weeks, they weren't clashing so often like before, but old habits die hard, right?

 

“What happened to your heart, Brian?” Debbie asked as she came from the kitchen with a plate of cheese.

 

“Nothing, Deb. Mel was just joking with Brian.” Lindsay demurely said. She looked at him with twitchy eyes but had chosen to close off her expression.

 

He surmised, most of his friends didn't take the news seriously and had actually found it hilarious. They found it funny knowing he was seeing someone. That had honestly hurt Brian and it reminded him why he couldn't seem to connect with his friends even after all this time.

 

Debbie just nodded absentmindedly and went on to put some more eggs onto Michael's plate. Brian thought it was a small mercy, at least.

 

“Maaaa.” Michael protested.

 

“Don't complain, you need to get your strength back, Michael.” Debbie said, sitting on the seat beside his baby boy.

 

“Maaaa.” He was now sounding more like a whining goat than human.

 

Brian wasn't really surprised to know that Mel and Lindsay had known about the ‘Mo chroí’ incident and maybe even what he had said at the hospital parking lot.

 

And of course, they would goad him for it, making fun of it. That would be the topic of the day despite the elephant in the room sitting with them on the center of the table.

 

Everyone seemed too keen on gossiping about his life, but consciously ignoring the serious matter in which Michael had put himself into.

 

Instead they all coddled and cooed at him even after what he did, giving him the pass just because he was the doe eyed, innocent little Mikey who seemed to walk on water.

 

It felt so wrong that no one was actually addressing the incident. No one was even contemplating if the act was intentional or not when it was pretty obvious that it was. Michael could be stupid, but he always knew what he wanted and do whatever it takes to get it. 

 

The only downside to this, Michael wouldn't be getting what he thought he could have had, all his efforts for trying to kill himself was for naught. Brian was not a stupid, he was actually far from being one.

 

Just then, a thought crossed his mind of him being the one who recklessly took the pills together with the dangerous amount of booze. If that was the case, he was sure to have already been castrated and looked down by his good friends by now. Well, that just summed up his worth to these people.

 

After a while, Brian was tuning them all out especially the whining that had been happening non stop since he arrived. More to his surprise, Michael didn't mention anything about Brian's new partner to put him on the spot for ‘betraying’ their relationship. It would surely get sympathy from this family and Debbie would be blaming him for his son’s drinking and eventually overdosing.

 

Brian wanted to be anywhere but here.

 

He was dreading the time for him to ask Lindsay and Melanie to have Gus that afternoon. It could go bad if they wouldn't lay off the snide remarks about his personal life and Brian didn't know if he still had the patience to ignore it.

 

After the meal, he slipped out of the apartment to smoke at the fire exit at the end of the hallway. He stood there looking out at the busy street below him, all those people who had their own lives and problems of their own, too. People who had their own Justin and a son like Gus, and people who had shitty friends, too. He wondered if one of them had an amnesia like him.

 

“Nice view, huh?” A voice came from behind him. He turned to find Emmett standing on the doorframe jutting his hip on it.

 

“Hmm..” He responded unenthusiastically.

 

“Mind giving an old friend a smoke?” Emmett stood beside him looking straight ahead.

 

Brian fished his cigarette from his pocket who only had two sticks left.

 

“Running low?” Emmett asked while taking one to his lips and lit it with Brian's zippo.

 

“I don't smoke that much anymore.”

 

Emmett glanced at him for a while with a slight shocked face.

 

“It's hard to believe, huh?” Brian said that in a tone where Emmett couldn't escape the resentment in it.

 

“It's not like that, Brian. You have to understand that we have known you for so long being this ‘no regrets no apologies’ kind of guy who stuck his dick in any available holes. That was the Brian that we've always known. Then, bam! Everything changes… I think our minds have a hard time catching up with everything that has happened, or it resisted to catch up with what you are becoming.”

 

“It's been two years, not two months. How many more years you all have to need to catch up on what is happening to me? Maybe I haven't really tried connecting to you all, but you must know that you all didn't give me any reasons that I should even bother.”

 

“We never really try hard, too, Brian. I'm ashamed to admit it, but it's weird seeing you quiet and behaving like you were a stranger. You seemed too uncomfortable in our presence, obviously not enjoying our company. And I guess, we just left you alone to at least get used to us, but we all drifted away as we let more times passed without even bothering to reach out to you.”

 

“Funny you'd say that I was behaving like stranger. Because you guys were strangers to me, I haven't seen you before in my life. I couldn't get your jokes and I always felt disrespected when you all making fun of me when I don't even know the guy you all were laughing at. I think, it's hard to understand when it wasn't you who's suffering.”

 

Emmett took time to blow his cigarette, nodding his head in agreement.

 

“We make it about us, instead of you. We focused on ourselves, on how hard it was to see you with the same face and body, but so totally different. We don't even consider how petrified you must be waking up without memory. This is all fuck up, Brian, we fucked up and I'm really sorry.”

 

Then Emmett leaned forward to look at Brian for a while.

 

“For what it's worth, I know when you told Ted and I that you are seeing someone, I believe that you are serious about it, that you are serious about the guy.”

 

Brian flicked the butt of his cigarette and stepped on it.

 

“Why would you? They all seem to make me the butt of jokes.” Brian clenched his jaws.

 

“Because I saw you being in love before.”

 

Brian didn't say anything, he continued to look at the streets down the building.

 

“It wasn't a perfect relationship, but I know you were both in love and committed to each other in your own undefined and unconditional way. Oh god-- oh my god--I didn't mean-- sorry--”

 

Emmett was suddenly looking agitated and apologetic at him.

 

“I shouldn't have said that-- oh god, Brian.” Emmett really looked horrified.

 

“That's okay. Of course, I have known about it. Michael wouldn't stop telling me how much I was in love.”

 

“He did?” Emmett was surprised to know that, then he continued,

 

“Well, I'm relieved to know that I didn't fuck up again. It was the consensus of majority not to tell you, though, and Michael was so adamant on not mentioning it. Well, the doctor had actually advised us not to tell you more than what you need to know, it's about the bad side effects if we do. Speaking of Michael, what's has gotten into his head and he suddenly becoming this…this over the top, extremely, hyperbolic clingy to you.”

 

Brian snorted, “You mean he wasn't always like this?”

 

“You got a point, but, no this time it's different… it's almost territorial and possessive. Brian, what happened at your loft? What did Michael say to you in the bathroom?”

 

“He deliberately did something that could cost me my partner.”

 

“What? How can Michael-- wow. This is crazy, how did he even know who's your talking to? We honestly didn't have an idea until you were talking in the bedroom. Did you tell him when you started dating your partner?”

 

Brian shook his head, “No, I've never told anyone, but he was always at the loft and I wasn't home most of the time. He even slept a couple of nights waiting for me to come home. I think, he just put everything together. He heard Gus asking for daddy's heart when we were at the girls’ house. The girls didn't get it, but I think Michael did. Then he heard my conversation with my partner in the bathroom before barging in pretending to be my lover.”

 

Emmett was shocked. “What the actual fuck? Do you think Michael-- the overdose-- God, no, this is too much. My mind cannot process this just yet-- that fucking dick. What did he thought he could accomplish by this? He hasn't been like this since--”

 

“Don't worry, I'm not going to give in to his advances. I'm fully aware of what he is doing.”

 

Emmett was still looking troubled.

 

“Now, tell me what all of you have been talking behind my back?”

 

Emmett snorted, “Well, it's a new topic, so you know, we tend to get invested over it. Mel and Ted are just fucking with you, Brian, don't think about it too much-- they thought it's not serious. Lindsay doesn't believe, and Michael is surprisingly mute about it.”

 

Brian wasn't surprised by all that.

 

“But don't think that ring hasn't been catching everyone’s attention. There's a debate going on about this.” Emmett smirked at him.

 

 

When they went back inside the apartment, Brian saw Lindsay and Melanie on the couch talking with Ted. Michael was nowhere to be seen, but his money was betting on the bathroom.

 

Gus was playing on the floor with his truck, while Debbie was fluffing Michael's pillow in his bedroom. He walked up to the group who suspiciously got quiet as he got nearer to them.

 

“Brian, sit with us, lover boy.” Melanie invited him with her taunting smile.

 

Ted snickered but scooted aside to give him room on the couch. He didn't take it, instead he crouched down in front of Gus who gave him a sweet smile.

 

“So, we've heard that you are dating again…” Melanie was interrupted by Lindsay's elbow digging to her side.

 

“Why don't you tell us about it, Brian?” Lindsay asked in her waspish kind of voice.

 

Brian shrugged, “I'm with someone, what else to know?”

 

“Wow, this is kind of amusing, he really did admit it. The world must be nearing its end.” Melanie surprisingly gaped at him.

 

“I'm glad to be of service.” He gave them a three fingers salute like a little good Boy Scout that he was.

 

“And you must wear a ring, Bri?” Lindsay eyed him.

 

Brian shrugged, “When I decide to do something, I go all the way.”

 

The conversation was interrupted after that when Michael came out of the bathroom whining about feeling dizzy. Debbie was immediately on his son’s side leading him to his bed. They all followed the mother and son with their eyes until Debbie closed the door to Michael's room.

 

“Lindsay, Melanie…” Brian started to say. “I would like to have Gus for the rest of the day.”

 

“We want to be with our son on weekends, too Brian.” Melanie said, shooting him an icy glare.

 

“Of course, you will have him tomorrow.” Brian compromised.

 

“That's okay, Bri. But I don't have enough clothes for him with me now. We could--” Lindsay said in which Brian had to cut.

 

“No worries. I have some change clothes for him at my place.”

 

That made the two mommies looked at each other.

 

“Is your--” Melanie was looking at Brian skeptically. “I'm not comfortable letting my son be with someone that I don't even know, Brian.”

 

“You don't know him, but I do. I'm not going to put Gus at any risk.” Brian defended.

 

“We know that, Brian. Mel was just saying that it would be more nicer if you at least bring him to our house and let us meet him. To know him a little better.” Lindsay challenged, arching her brow up.

 

“We don't even know the guy’s name, we don't have any idea how you met him. We don't know how long you've been seeing him that you trust him enough to be around my son.” Melanie interjected.

 

“He is my son, too, Melanie.”

 

“No one is saying that he isn't yours, too, Brian. Why don't you bring your ‘friend’ to meet all of us?” Lindsay insisted again, but Brian didn't like her tone. He remembered Emmett saying she didn't believe that Brian had a partner.

 

“I could, but I don't think this is the right time. Let's all have this holidays be over with, and when it quieted down a bit, I'll bring him to meet the family.”

 

“Whatever.” Melanie mumbled standing up looking down at Lindsay. “We better get going, Lindz.”

 

Lindsay nodded and went to Emmett's room to take Gus’ bag and handed it to Brian. The two mommies said their goodbyes to their son telling him that they would be waiting for his return later that evening.

 

Gus was jumping up and down upon learning that he was going to see daddy's heart.

 

The girls and Ted had knocked on Michael's door saying that they were leaving and thanking Debbie for the breakfast. Michael was starting to get agitated when he saw Brian kissing Debbie on the cheek with Gus perched on his hip.

 

“I don't want you to go, Brian.” Michael tried to sound distress and in pain.

 

“You have to rest, Michael and I suppose Brian is going to have Gus today, don't you, honey?” She looked at Brian who nodded his head. She turned to her son again and chastised him with, “You are still not well, so rest.”

 

They all went out of the apartment together and were on their separate ways in just few minutes.

 

Justin was baking chocolate chip cookies when Brian and Gus arrived at their house. Gus ran straight to Justin calling him, “Daddy's heart! Daddy's heart!”

 

Justin hugged the little guy to his chest that looked so much like his father and telling him that he missed him so much. Gus returned the sentiment and kissed Justin's cheek.

 

“I want cookies, daddy's heart.” He adorably said to Justin who smiled so widely and sat him on the tall bar stool.

 

“I want a cookie, too, my heart.” Brian said sticking his tongue on his cheek.

 

“Okay, one cookie each for my favorite boys. With milk for you…” Justin gave an Eskimo kiss to Gus. “... and coffee for you.” He turned to Brian and did the same.

 

But before Justin could pull away, Brian caught the back of his neck and gave him an intense open mouth kiss.

 

They had forgotten Gus for a matter of minutes as Brian savor the taste that he was craving the whole morning. But then they heard Gus giggling, and they both softly nipped on each other's lip and smiled.

 

“Daddy kissy kissy Daddy's heart.” The little Brian said while making a kissy face at them.

 

“Yeah, daddy loves to kissy kissy daddy's heart.” Brian chortled that made Justin laugh out loud.

 

The afternoon went so great and they even went out and brought Gus to meet Santa and his elf at the mall. They also brought Gus an appropriate gear for them to play on the snow outside their home. The snowfall had started couple weeks ago and the forecast for the next seven days were 1-3 inches of snow.

 

Brian was knocking on Mel and Lindsay's door at exactly seven in the evening. Gus, who was already in his pajamas, was sleeping on his father’s shoulder.

 

Lindsay encouraged Brian to have coffee with them, but he politely declined saying that someone was waiting for him.

 

***

 

The next day, Brian and Justin started the day like they usually had. But when Justin started to work and Brian had no Gus to take with him, he decided to brave the busy streets of Pittsburgh to buy his Christmas presents.

 

Debbie had already told them to attend her Christmas Eve dinner and they would have the exchange gifts that day. That would leave each and everyone of them to be with their own little families or special someone on the actual day of Christmas.

 

Brian spent his morning dodging elbows and umbrellas, but he really needed to buy Gus, Vic, Rodney and Justin their Christmas gifts. He already had bought for the rest of the gang, including Cynthia and his business partner, Gardner.

 

In all honesty, Brian wanted to buy Justin a car but he knew his partner would freak out and Brian didn't want that for their first Christmas together. And so he settled for an Italian leather sketchbook case, a complete set of kolinsky sable brushes and a black leather strap Tag Heuer watches.

 

Well, Justin might still freak out with his presents but Brian couldn't help buying him those things when he saw them.

 

He bought Gus an elaborate set of trains having six feet railways that went up on a mountain and tunnels. The mommies would certainly freak out, too.

 

After picking Vic and Rodney’s presents, Brian went home to secretly hide the gifts from his partner. Checking the clock, he found it was only ten minutes after eleven. He decided to just watch some old Christmas movies that was on TV.

 

But before his butt was even heated on the sofa, his phone vibrated in his pocket. It was Michael and he regretted answering it when he started spouting that Brian didn't care if Michael had died that night. Saying he needed his friend but Brian was busy to even give him few minutes of his time.

 

Brian resignedly agreed and drove to Michael's apartment. He even bought lunch for both Michael and Emmett.

 

When he arrived though, he found the front door unlocked and Emmett was nowhere to be found. Then Michael was apparently feeling a little bit dizzy and was resting in his bed.

 

Brian plated the lunch for his friend and handed it to Michael who bit into the sandwich with gusto.

 

Brian wasn't comfortable with only them in the apartment. The realization had made him sad, he used to hangout with Michael from sunrise to sunset when they were still teenagers. But now, his mere presence was beginning to be unbearable to Brian.

 

“So, where's Emmett?” He asked sitting on a chair near the window.

 

“Out with Ted. Why are you so far away, come sit next to me.” Michael patted the bed invitingly.

 

Brian shook his head and looked around the room. He didn't come out here much in the past two years, it was always Michael coming to his loft. Now, he noticed that Michael had a top chest full of picture frames.

 

He stood up to check it closer. One picture was Michael with Debbie and Vic, another was with all of the gangs sitting on Debbie's couch, and the six remaining frames left were all Michael and Brian's pictures.

 

The pictures had varied from high school until before the accident, because he couldn't remember taking some of those pictures.

 

He was so engrossed looking at it and hadn't noticed when Michael stood up and walked up to him. He jumped when he felt a pair of arms hugging him from behind.

 

He instinctively moved forward in an attempt to get away from his friend. He succeeded and backed away slowly from Michael.

 

“What are you doing?” Brian snapped unkindly.

 

“Babe, when my life was hanging on the edge of death, I saw us, you know. I saw our life, our past and the future-- and I promised myself that when I get through it, I'd fight for our love. Babe, this is what I was telling you over and over again, we belong together.” Michael said while inching closer to Brian.

 

“Michael-- Michael!” Brian was trying to escape from Michael who had caught him off guard and latched on his body like a leech. “Stop it, Michael, for god sake!”

 

Brian was almost yelling. He had successfully shrugged Michael off of him again.

 

“Brian, I can't live without you. What else do you want me to do to prove that I'm the one who deserves you? We are together for nine years, Brian, we should be together until the end-- you promised me that. Don't fucking do this to me!” Michael shouted at him.

 

Brian let out an angry sigh but maintained the distance between them.

 

“I told you I can't be with you anymore. I don't love you anymore like I did for nine years. Stop this, Michael. I'm so tired of you insisting on the things that I cannot give you. Just stop this.”

 

“I'm going to do it again, Brian. I'm going to off myself again if you don't take me back, I swear to you, Brian.” Michael threatened.

 

“You are a thirty three years old grown up man, Michael. Be a man and accept that we are over. Our nine years relationship was over and you can't have me back.” Brian walked to Michael's room door and yanked it open, he almost had a heart attack when he found Debbie standing there looking so shocked herself.

 

“Debbie.” He whispered. “I'm sorry.” Then Brian fled Michael's room and out of the apartment.

 

Brian knew that he shouldn't have gone there in the first place.

 

***

 

“What the fuck, Michael?” Debbie laid it to his son after what seemed to be like forever. Her face was a revelation of shock, anger and distaste. She couldn't believe what she had just heard coming from both his son and Brian's mouth. This was not happening. How could Michael do this to his friend? A friend who had an amnesia. How could they not know anything about this?

 

Debbie was so devastated. How could his son be this devious and conniving little asshole? Debbie was actually speechless and dumbfounded for once in her life. Michael was in serious mental trouble than she originally thought and seemed to have done a great deal of damage where Brian and his amnesia was concerned.

 

“What have you been telling Brian about you and him? What the fuck did you do?!”