- Text Size +

 

It all started two years ago.

 

Brian woke up from a two days drug induced coma in a sterile room of Allegheny General Hospital. He was so disoriented that he didn't move for few minutes after waking up.

 

He heard low voices talking in one corner of the room and he saw from his peripheral that there was another person sitting near his bed. He didn't dare move or let those people with him know that he was awake. Something wasn't right, and he felt it since the first time he opened his eyes.

 

He wanted to know what happened, why he was at the hospital. He also wanted to know why his body was aching so much that he felt he was hit by a ten wheeler truck.

 

Brian wanted to continue the pretense of being unconscious but he was so parched, feeling like he had just been stranded in Sahara for a week.

 

He turned his head a little to his right and saw a man who he hadn't seen before in his life. He was reading a book and was wearing a hideous purple shirt that almost a second skin to him. Brian was puzzled by this, why he had some stranger visiting him at the hospital?

 

“Who are you?” Was what he thought a valid question. The guy jumped a little gaping at him in surprise.

 

“Brian?!” The guy dramatically asked, his face was mixed with elation and confusion. He was looking at Brian like he wasn't sure if it was him lying in the bed. Well, Brian wasn't sure himself.

 

The murmured voices in one corner were suddenly halted and hurried footsteps were heard. In a flash, the face of his friend, Michael, had appeared in front of him. He was grateful to see him, he really needed to see some familiar faces of people he knew.

 

Michael was cupping his face with both his hands and tearfully said, “Oh God, Brian you are awake! Thank god, I'm so worried.” Then his friend kissed him on his lips, a little longer than what they always did.

 

Brian didn't react in anyway though, he just thought his friend was terrified with him being at the hospital.

 

When Michael pulled away, with fat tears in his eyes, Brian tried to smile. “Hey, I'm okay.” He shifted a little and a hot pain shot from his chest and head. “What happened?”

 

“I think, we should call the doctor.” An unfamiliar voice had spoken from behind Mikey and Brian glanced up. 

 

He saw a man in his mid thirties, sporting a worried expression on his face. Who were these people? Why was he surrounded by strangers that seemed to worry for his welfare? It didn't make sense.

 

“Yeah, Ted. Uh, I think you're right. Can you tell the nurses that Brian wakes up?” Michael said to the man who nodded his approval and smiled at Brian a little.

 

“Yeah, sure. I'll be right back, Bri.” The man said to him. Brian couldn't do anything but nodded back. He was so confused. These people sounded like they knew him, that they genuinely cared for him, but he didn't know these people.

 

The nurse came with the man, Ted, as Michael called him, and he wasn't alone. He came with a short haired lady in a lovely tailored suit.

 

Just like everyone else, she looked at him with same worried face, but hadn't tried to talk to him.

 

The nurse checked his heart monitor and his IV’s, telling him the doctor had been page. Then she left promising Michael that the doctor wouldn't take long to come and check Brian.

 

“I see that you've been awake, asshole.” The lady said to him smirking a little. Brian was so puzzled that another stranger was comfortably joking with him.

 

“Excuse me?” He said, forehead creasing in confusion.

 

“It's a joke, Brian. You know I'm glad that you are finally awake.” She gave him a sincere smile.

 

“Uh, thanks, I guess.” He looked at each and everyone of his guests. “But who are you people?”

 

The room got quiet for a split second, then Michael burst out laughing. Brian looked at him annoyingly, couldn't see why his friend would laugh at him like that.

 

“Brian, you're so funny. Thank goodness, you're back. We missed you so much!”

 

Brian just stared at his friend, good thing those three had the decency to remain quiet.

 

A doctor and two nurses came inside the room at that precise moment, stopping him from answering Michael or asking them more questions. Dr. Rodriguez introduced himself to him, checked his vitals, and he saw Ted and the guy in purple standing close together, talking so seriously at the corner.

 

The lady was inching her way to their direction and Michael was still hovering on his side.

 

“Mr. Kinney, how are you feeling today?” The doctor asked, smiling at him.

 

He groaned a little as he felt his head was about to explode from the pain. “My head hurts. It's hard to breathe, too. What happened to me, doc?”

 

The doctor, gestured something to the nurse, who nodded her head and went out of the room.

 

“You've been in an accident, Mr. Kinney. Don't you remember that?” The doctor looked at him intently.

 

Brian closed his eyes and sighed deeply. “No.”

 

“Okay, two days ago, you were in a vehicular accident. Your head has severely impacted with the side window of your car, then onto the steering wheel. The steering wheel had actually broken a number of your ribs, too. This is the problem with classic cars, Mr. Kinney. They don't have the best safety features when it comes to accident. Your car didn't have airbags.”

 

Brian was wrinkling his forehead more and more as the doctor explained his accident.

 

“And who’s crazy enough to lend me a classic car? I would never let anyone touching mine if I have one. Now, I crushed it, God, he must be pissed. Am I going to jail?” Brian said closing his eyes again.

 

Then he heard Michael saying, “What's happening, doc? Why can't Brian remember his own car? That corvette was his!”

 

He opened his eyes and shockingly looked at Michael. What did he mean the car was his? A classic corvette? Damn, he wished he had one. He promised himself to buy one when he could afford it, but now he just have to be contented with his old Ford pick up truck. 

 

He bought it from his neighbor, three houses from his parents’ house. He got a great deal out of it. Despite the car being almost a decade already, it was still in a good running conditions. Besides, he looked badass driving it and it was cheap to maintain.

 

So, Mikey must be dreaming, or he didn't want him to be embarrassed. But he wanted to know the owner of the car he used, that he crashed actually. It would be hell paying back that thing, classic cars were expensive. Fuck!

 

“Fuck!” He muttered sulkily. “It will take years to pay for that car I wrecked, huh. Well, I think I can just use the money I set aside for the new place I want. Damn, I want that loft so badly and they are practically giving it away for free. How can I be so stupid? Now, tell me, Mikey, who is the owner of that corvette?” He desolately inquired looking up at his friend. 

 

Michael was looking at him so shocked. “Brian, stop kidding around! The corvette was yours, and what loft? Are you buying another loft? How come I didn't know this? And why do you want another loft, you have the best one already.”

 

Brian sat up abruptly and winced when his head and chest protested the action. Michael was on him and non stop asking if he was alright, well, obviously, he wasn't.

 

“Mister… uh, excuse me, mister…” The doctor interrupted Michael.

 

“What?” He asked, eyes so worried looking at the doctor. “Doctor what's happening?”

 

“Well, if you can just stand aside and let me check the patient, maybe I can tell you what's happening to your friend.” The doctor impatiently said to Michael, who nodded and murmured a distracted ‘okay’.

 

“Mr. Kinney. Can you tell me, what was the last thing you remember?”

 

Brian squinted his eyes, “Uh, I--, I had my last subject at one, then I was on my way to Ryder agency. I am an intern there.”

 

He glanced up when he heard Michael gasped. He also heard the guy in purple saying, “Oh, baby!”, and the lady in smart dress saying, “Oh, shit!”.

 

He stared at them questioningly. His head was hurting even more with these people's reactions to him.

 

“Brian--” Michael was about to say something when the doctor put a hand on his shoulder.

 

“Let me finish with the patient. If you can't deal with this, it's better if you stay outside the room.” The doctor sternly said. Michael stepped back shaking his head.

 

“Okay, Brian. What was the car you were driving? Do you remember?” The doctor started again.

 

He nodded, “Yeah, of course, my car, a Ford pick up.”

 

Michael was gasping again.

 

“Hmm, that was the last memory?” When he nodded in affirmation, the doctor continued. “What date was that?”

 

“October 9, 1991. Why are you asking me thi--”

 

Michael was trying to control his whimpering by covering his mouth with his hand. Ted came closer to him and dragged Michael to their corner.

 

What was happening?

 

“Brian, how old are you?”

 

“What? Why are asking me this kind of things?”

 

“Just answer me, please, Mr. Kinney.”

 

“Okay, I'm 20. Now, tell me what's going on.”

 

“Okay. It seems the impact of the accident to your brain is more severe than we originally thought. You have an amnesia, Mr. Kinney.”

 

Brian just gaped at the doctor.

 

“I know it must have been hard knowing this, but it seems you are forgetting 11 years of your life. It's already August 23, 2002, Mr. Kinney. And your friend is correct, the car that you have been driving during the accident was yours.”

 

Brian couldn't move, he couldn't even blink. Amnesia? 11 years?

 

“We need to do some more test so we can give answers to your questions. I know it's easier said than done, but I advise you to refrain from thinking and stressing your brain too much. I know you want to remember again, but please, Mr. Kinney don't force it. It may have an irreversible repercussions if you do.”

 

Brian didn't give any answers, he just stared blankly at the doctor but inside he was terrified. He was so scared for the meaning of all this. He didn't know what to think and he didn't know what to do. 

 

“Can I talk to all of you outside?” The doctor asked his friends. They all nodded, still visibly shocked.

 

He closed his eyes when he heard the door was gently closed. He couldn't believe something like this could really happen in real life, and yet, he was told by the doctor that the past eleven years of his life was erased from his memory.

 

Eleven years, meaning to say, he was already 31. Damn!

 

Later, when he opened his eyes, it was already dark outside. He must've slept for a while, but he was really parched and hadn't drunk anything since he woke up few hours ago.

 

He noticed Michael was sleeping on a chair. His head was cradled on his crossed arms resting at the side of the bed. His heart warmed by the dedication his best friend was giving him.

 

He reached and ran his hand on his friend’s hair. He got lucky the day he met Michael, he knew that. Everyone knew that he saved him from bullies in their school, but Michael and his mother, Debbie, had saved him in more ways than one.

 

Michael slowly stirred from his slumber and looked up to him with his still daze eyes. His face broke in a wide smile and caught Brian's hand caging in his.

 

“Hey, babe. How's your head? Are you still in pain?” He asked in a soft voice but clearly still worried about him. But what's with the endearment? When did Mikey start calling him a lesbian names like that?

 

“I'm thirsty, Mikey.” He croaked out. Michael stood up, releasing his hand and went to his side table to get him a glass of water.

 

“Here, wait, let me help you.” He adjusted the bed a little and held the straw to Brian's lips.

 

After he drank half of the glass, Michael sat back on the chair and took his hand again. This time, he twined it together and kissed it. Brian thought he must've worried Michael too much, because he was being a little more sweet and a little clingy than usual.

 

“Babe, I'm sorry for what's happening to you. I know it's not easy to take it all in, but I promise to fill you in whatever you need to know. I'll always be here for you, like I always do. You'll get through this, I will help you, I promise you that.”

 

Michael kissed his hand again and reached to run his palm on Brian's cheek.

 

“I love you, Brian.” Then he moved forward and kissed him on the lips. At first, he thought it was just a friendly one like they always did. But then he felt Michael's tongue invading his mouth. His one hand was still on his jaw caressing lightly, and the other one was running on his side down to his hips and thigh. He was stilled for few moments, shocked with what was happening. 

 

Just then, Michael let out a moan that made Brian snapped and pushed his friend away. The movement was killing him, but he didn't care. He wiped his mouth with the white blanket that was covering him from waist down. 

 

Brian looked so dumbfounded at his friend who was looking a little hurt. He was sure he had kissed Michael before, a little longer sometimes, but it was just that, a friendly kiss.

 

But this, this felt nothing like a friendly one like they used to do. Michael was frenching him, moaning into his mouth and he was kind of groping at him, too.

 

“Oh, did I hurt you, babe? I'm sorry, but I guess, I just got excited. I missed you and I just can't help myself.” He chortled good naturedly trying not to meet Brian's eyes.

 

“What's with all this lesbian endearment, Mikey? Stop calling me, babe. I'm not a cute little piglet.” He didn't mean to be so harsh but this day had already shook him to his core.

 

“Oh, but we call each othe--” Pained expression crossing Michael's face and his eyes began to moisten. “Of course, God-- I forgot that you can't remember.”

 

Brian's chest started to ache so much that he thought he had broken the remaining good ones. He was suddenly feeling dizzy. Oh my god.

 

“What do you mean, Michael? What happened… Oh god, eleven years. What happened to me in those times? And who are those people this afternoon? I don't know any of them.”

 

“Brian, they are your friends, our friends. Ted, Emmett and Mel. You met Emmett through me, he's my roommate. We've been friends with him for five years now. Ted is Mel’s best friend from college. He is an accountant. Mel is Linds partner. They've been together for eight years now. We've known Ted almost the same time.”

 

“Who is Linds?”

 

“Lindsay.” When Brian didn't give any indication that he knew her, Michael continued. “Lindsay Peterson, your friend from college.”

 

His brows met in confusion. “That blonde, tall, chick from my art class? Yeah, she's Peterson, I remember her. But, we are not friends. I mean, the semester has just started, and I only have that class twice a week. I probably saw her for a total of three times. We talked once, yeah, she asked me if the food from the cafeteria were good. And I told her that it sucks.”

 

“Well, you two became best friends, and you even fucked her twice.”

 

Brian was nauseous. What happened to him this past eleven years? There's no way he would want to fuck a woman.

 

“Brian, you also have a son with her.”

 

Now Brian was truly fainting. He was breathing a little heavily and his chest was aching so badly.

 

“I got her pregnant? Oh, god!”

 

“Yeah, but not the way you must probably be thinking. You didn't get her pregnant when you fucked her in college. She is a lesbian and married to Mel. Over two years ago, they decided to have a baby, and they asked you to father it.”

 

“And I agreed. Unbelievable…” He whispered, shaking his head.

 

“Yeah. Gus, that's his name, your son, is two years old now. He looks so much like you. We always bring him to the park and zoo, we both love your kid, Brian. I even consider him mine, too. What's with us being together for so long now--”

 

“Whoa, whoa-- slow down. This is crazy, Michael. I could swear, I just hear you saying, we are together for so long. What do you mean?”

 

“Brian, we are together. It's crazy, I know, and I was so scared too when we decided to have a go at it. But we were happy, babe, and it really pains me a lot that you cannot remember a single time that we shared together.”

 

Brian couldn't say anything. No words would come out of his mouth, because it was unbelievable.

 

“Since when?”

 

“Nine years ago. We started dating after you were employed at Ryder. You asked me out for a celebratory dinner, and it was just you and me, you know. You didn't invite Linds or my mom and uncle Vic, and you didn't want to go to Babylon. After we have eaten, you brought me to a hotel. I was so thrilled at that time, and I could see how happy you were, too. I thought we were just going to hangout, you know, got wasted. But then, when we get inside you kissed me... I still couldn't forget that night, Brian. It was the best night of my life. You made love to me, over and over again. We are together ever since, happily together.”

 

“No. That's not true, Michael. We are friends, best friends, I would never--” Brian was shaking his head repeatedly that the action was actually making him dizzy.

 

Michael sobbed onto his hands swearing he was telling him the truth. “You are hurting me now, Brian. I know you cannot remember anything, but you don't have to do this to me.”

 

It hurt him, too, knowing he was consciously hurting his only best friend, but he couldn't wrap his brain around the idea that he was now involved with Michael romantically. It felt almost like an incest to him.

 

“I'm sorry, Mikey, I didn't mean to hurt you, I swear.” He whispered.

 

Michael looked up, smiling a little taking his hand on his again. “It's okay, babe. I know, you'll get your memory back and remember all the times that we shared. We were so happy, Brian, so content. I never thought something so tragic like this could happen to us and everything will be-- gone.” He cried again, and Brian couldn't take watching him so hurt like this.

 

“Hey, hey, we'll be fine, okay? Don't cry now, you know I hate seeing you cry.”

 

Michael smiled at him with eyes still full of tears, running the pad of his thumb on Brian's wrist. “I know.” 

 

“So, I really have a corvette?” He asked just so they could change the subject.

 

“Yeah, and you had two brand new jeep before buying the corvette. Oh, and you already bought the loft that you want when you were just in college, all paid.” Michael beamed at him so proudly. 

 

“About my son, is he with Lindsay and Mel?”

 

“Yeah, that was the agreement. You gave Mel your parental rights, but they let you spend time with him.”

 

That was like dagger slicing through his chest. How could he agree to bring a child into this world and just gave his parental rights to someone. Gus, his son, was not a puppy that you could just give to anyone. 

 

He couldn't believe the man that he became if he could do such an awful thing to his own child. Not after what he went through with his parents. He had a bad feeling how Lindsay convinced him in fathering her child. He only knew at that moment he would never agree to anything so cruel, so vicious. Not to his own flesh and blood.

 

“Is he happy? Tell me that Lindsay and Mel take good care of him.”

 

“Yeah, of course. You help too, you know. You give them financial support even though legally you don't have to do that, but you still do. You love your son, Brian, and Gus loves you too.”

 

It didn't make him feel any better. He still gave his son away. He could shower him with money and all the material things he could buy but it wouldn't change the fact that he didn't have any claims for his own son. He'd never have. 

 

He still hadn't met his son, but he could already feel the warmth inside him just the mere mention of his name. And when Gus was old enough to know what he had done, he would hate him. 

 

And If that day would come, he knew it would be his end. He couldn't bear to live knowing his son despised him like he despised his own father.

 

“Isn't it a little late?” He asked, longing to be alone.

 

“It's okay, they let me stay with you. I'm your POA, you know.”

 

Brian nodded his head despite the fact he didn't know Michael had his POA. Instead of trying to tell Michael to leave him, he closed his eyes and resigned to the knowledge that he couldn't be alone when he desperately needed to. 

 

He didn't have any energy left to get Michael out of his room, and he knew he needed a lot of it if he wanted him out.

 

He could still feel Michael's hand gently caressing his wrist, and the last thing he remembered before succumbing to sleep was Michael's voice telling Brian he'd always be there for him.