- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hi, guys, so sorry for posting so late. But here it is, hope you all like it. I'm so happy to finish another story and I want to thank you all for the reviews.

Hugs~Nadine

 

Two Years Later

 

“... Lastly, I want to thank the one person that I can truly call ‘the one’ for me. He is the one who makes me complete, the one last piece to my puzzle that is holding me up, the pillar that has been supporting me. Amnesia couldn't make me forget how I feel for this beautiful man. The man that I have loved, the only man that I ever loved and he would be the last one that I will love.” 

 

He smiled at the tables that had been occupied by the Vanguard employees and their loved ones. He settled his eyes on the most beautiful sight he had ever seen.

 

“You all must be thinking, ‘what happened to, Kinney?’” Hushed laughters had been heard throughout the banquet hall. “Well, that beautiful man, right there-- happened to me. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I love you, mo chroí. This award is for you, my heart.” He gave Justin his trademark smirk and addressed the crowd again. “Thank you all, and good night.”

 

Brian walked down the steps back to his seat, where Justin was waiting for him. He was standing and proudly applauded for his partner.

 

Brian caught him in a hug and kissed his lips softly. 

 

The event went on, and Brian was being approached by some other people throughout the night to congratulate him, and some were even boldly asking him to work for them.

 

Brian was just taking it all in strides. He was honestly happy where he was. Gardner had already made him a senior partner a year ago and he was talking of selling the agency to Brian in just a year. 

 

Gardner was even kind enough to make a proposal that Brian would pay him in two years. Brian would pay half of the amount next year, and he would turn over the company to Brian, and the other half would be paid by the following year. That way, Brian could focus more on building his empire than stressing over money for paying Gardner. 

 

Gardner could honestly sell it to just any rich man who could buy him out too easily, but he wanted the company to go to someone who actually cares about the place. He didn't want it to merge into another company, he wanted it the same as it was now. Then in process, it would be even more successful that it was today.

 

Brian and Justin were so floored when Gardner had proposed that. Brian had always wanted to own his company, and this was his chance of fulfilling yet another dream of his. One dream had already been granted to him, the man who he was holding hands with.

 

At 36, his professional life was great, it would even get better after buying the company. His personal life was unrivaled. He honestly, hadn't been this happy in his life.

 

He couldn't ask for more, having Justin and Gus in his life was more than he could hope to have.

 

***

 

After recovering his memory while listening to Justin telling him about his life, Brian felt relieved. It was so good to remember everything, and he was happy that despite how he and Justin parted that night before his first accident, they still found their way back into each other.

 

But then, when everything sank in, it was too painful to endure the things that Michael and Debbie had done to him. Brian tried to put it at the back of his mind-- but as much as he tried not to blame himself for it-- he instinctively thought that he was somehow the one to blame for this. Just like he was blamed for everything that Michael had fucked up. He knew he was reverting back to his old self, he could feel it in his veins.

 

Then his eyes fell on Justin who was sleeping in the cot few meters away from his bed. He was sleeping peacefully, liked he hadn't slept for so long. Well, he knew his partner hadn't slept since his accident, and it was good to see him rest like a baby.

 

Looking at Justin, he remembered everything. The sparks from that first night, the chemistry they had even from the start, the laughters, the tears, the fears and the pain throughout that two years. He knew Justin was worth chasing for, he was worth changing for and he was worth than anything in this world.

 

But he was so confused, he knew his old personality and his new one had been clashing inside his head. And if he would let it without addressing it with his doctors, Brian knew he would have a colossal drawbacks coming, and he didn't want that to happen. He wanted to be in good shape, body and mind, for Justin, for Gus and for himself.

 

The next morning he addressed it to Dr. Rodriguez and he requested a psychologist to assess Brian. Turned out, he really needed time to evaluate himself more, he was confused to the point he didn't know who he really was anymore. It was a very serious problem according to the doctor.

 

So, it was decided that Brian needed a psychological help and doing it without outside influences, was monumental to his recovery.

 

 

When Dr. Rodriguez had informed the family in the waiting room about Brian's condition-- that he had gotten his memory back-- Michael had staggered backwards in daze. He looked like he was about to faint or bolt to somewhere that no one could find him. But no one, except for Debbie, was feeling sorry for him. 

 

They all returned to the hospital the next day in hope to have a glance at Brian and maybe talk to him for awhile. They were all excited, well, most of them were excited and happy that their friend had somehow gotten through with yet another hiccups in his life.

 

But the doctor and Justin had come out to see them in the waiting room and delivered the news, it was a little setback from his condition. It was explained that Brian had difficulty in dealing with his two existing personality. It wasn't so much of a problem, it was just a matter of acceptance. The eleven years Brian, the persona, had to accept that it was just that-- a persona. Until he could get it into his mind that it would be okay just to be yourself-- Brian would have a difficulty in dealing with himself.

 

The family easily agreed to let Brian deal with it alone, with the help of the professionals and the support of Justin, they all thought that it would be easier for Brian to come to terms with himself. Justin asked Lindsay and Mel that Gus was an all clear visitor for Brian, and the kid was happily spending his afternoons with his dad and daddy's heart.

 

Well, most of the friends might be supportive of the doctor's decision, but Justin thought it wasn't all of them.

 

A week later, Justin heard a ruckus from outside the hallway. It was two in the morning and Brian was deeply asleep on the bed beside Justin. He slowly got off and went to check what was happening, and found Michael with two security guards and few night nurses arguing.

 

“I just want to talk to him-- you don't understand, I'm his best friend but they don't allowed me to see him. I need to see Brian, I need to explain to him everything that had happened-- why can't you all understand that!” Michael explained. He was being held by the guards on each arms.

 

“Mr. Novotny, there is a strict policy, and it's doctor's order--” one of the nurses tried to explain but Michael cut her off.

 

“Fuck the doctor's order! I need to talk to Brian! I know it's that fucking twink’s doing-- he banned me from coming to see Brian--”

 

“Well, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have anything to do with this-- I don't really have to, you know. Because I'm not afraid to let Brian see you, I'm not afraid nor threatened by you. I play fair, Michael-- this is all up to Brian.” Justin said from few feet away from the group. They all looked back at him.

 

“I don't believe you! I know you are telling Brian lies about me.”

 

“I don't have to, he can remember everything you did.”

 

“That's why I have to talk to him--”

 

“No, you don't! Listen, Michael, I don't know if you are being stubborn or you are just this selfish. Your best friend is right inside that room-- trying to fix himself physically and emotionally. Is it that hard for you to understand that? Is it that hard to give Brian that peace he needed? Is it really hard for you to think of Brian first before yourself?”

 

 

Michael was being escorted out of the building after that and was temporarily banned from the premise. Justin let Melanie know about the incident when she came that day with Gus. He told her how Michael didn't respect the doctor's order and to let him know that Justin wasn't playing anymore games with him. If he wouldn't back off, he would get a TRO on his ass. Mel said that she'd talk to Michael.

 

Then Justin contemplated not mentioning it to Brian, but then, he heard it from one of the nurses. Justin gave him the full version and Brian became visibly agitated. And that had started the floodgate to open and Brian had been moody and short tempered after that.

 

The therapist started to slowly address the issue, after talking to Justin, she was convinced that she needed to settle this before going back to help Brian with his outlook in life.

 

In the end, Brian had admitted that he was devastated by what his family had done to him. How hurt he was to know that his trust was being abused by the people he thought he trusted. He also told her that he was starting to blame himself for Michael and Debbie's actions.

 

The therapist told him that it was normal to be angry, and in sense, he should be angry. But then, he should also think what he wanted to do with the situation. She said, Brian had so many options to choose from.

 

But whatever action he chose to do, she said, he should also be ready with the aftermath. One thing to think, if he'd go after Michael and Debbie, sue them or permanently cut ties with them-- would it make Brian forget about the pain? In say, ten years from now, would Brian still feel the same anger? Would it make the Novotny see the evilness in what they did? 

 

Brian thought so hard about what she said. It was true that at that moment he wanted them to pay for everything that they did to him, the lies, the deceit, and the blackmailing. But would it make him feel good to know Brian had retaliated and the Novotny had suffered-- financially or emotionally?

 

Brian thought that it was so unfair that even at that moment, where he was the one who was being deceived, and yet he was still thinking about Debbie and Michael's welfare. When they were the one who started this mess in the first place.

 

But then, he talked about it with Justin, and his partner said, it was too much to think about in short amount of time. He said Brian could let himself simmer down a bit, and if he was not high with his emotions, he could consider his options again-- just like the therapist had suggested.

 

Brian thought Justin had a point. He couldn't make a decision, a life altering decisions when he was having an emotional breakdown. He should be concentrating on the other matter at hand.

 

The next few weeks was spent with the professionals to make sure that Brian would be physically, mentally and emotionally stable. The therapist and Brian had been working about his acceptance for what he thought was the real Brian. It was truly easier said than done.

 

Talking to the therapist had really helped him immensely, though, it was something that he regretted not doing after his first accident. It helped him accept what he really was inside, sans the mask and facade. 

 

He had learned too, that being true and accepting it was the best thing you could give to yourself. You were giving yourself the respect of being who you really were, and in return, you would be respected by those people who mattered.

 

It became easier after that and the doctors had released him after almost a month of staying at the hospital. And Brian had agreed to continue to have sessions with his therapist. 

 

The family had been so understanding so far, they've been supportive even the doctors didn't allow them to visit, but they sent Brian flowers, thoughtful notes and foods. So, everyone was happy that Brian was finally being released.

 

Well, except for Michael, and maybe Debbie, too. But both had attended the welcome back party for Brian the day of his release. But it wasn't without warnings from the gangs for Michael to act like a civilized man, the warning was extended to Debbie, too.

 

After an hour, acting civilized was obviously very hard for Michael to do. When all of them were lounging at Brian and Justin's living room, Michael had seen his opportunity to talk to Brian when he saw him go to the kitchen.

 

He discreetly followed him and tried to talk to him, Brian flatly refused saying he wasn't ready for that ‘talk’ yet. But Michael became insistent and not seconds after, both were yelling on each other's faces.

 

Everyone got wide eyed and sprinted to the kitchen and saw how Brian was aggravated. Michael looked angry as well but then they heard Brian saying,

 

“After what you've done-- I can't even imagine how you can stand there and demand to talk to me. Demand-- not asking, but demand! You know, even seeing you stepping into mine and Justin's home, eating with us on the same table and drinking coffee with us like you've never done anything to me-- it's preposterous, Michael!”

 

Justin walked to where Brian was standing and tentatively rested his hand on his back.

 

“That's why I need to talk to you! You must know how sorry I am, Brian!” Michael shouted and Debbie was trying to get her son’s attention but he just shrugged his mother off.

 

“Are you? Are you really sorry, Michael? Do you really think what you've done was wrong, or are just saying this so that you can execute your next move?” Brian sneered.

 

Justin thought he heard Lindsay whimpered, but he couldn't even spare a second to think about it, he was so worried about Brian. He was skeptical with this plan from the beginning especially when he heard that the gang had agreed to Michael and Debbie to come. But they assure him that both had been warned to behave and they promised not to badger Brian in anyway. So far, Debbie had kept her word more than her son.

 

“I don't expect to be treated like this, Michael. Not from anyone, especially not from you and not from Debbie. I cannot start to tell you both how devastated I am.” Brian's voice hitched.

 

“But you've forgiven Justin! Why can't you do the same for me? He manipulated you and lied to you, but he'd just bat his eyes and he's forgiven?” Michael wasn't backing down. 

 

The gangs were so angry that Michael couldn't let one get together be spent in peace and laughters. Not after he had begged them to let him and his mother come. And now he was doing this?

 

“Michael, that's enough!” Emmett and Debbie said almost the same time.

 

“What problems I have with Justin, it is between us. And what problems I have with you and Debbie are between us three. If I forgave my partner for what he has done, it's my decision-- not yours, not your mother's, or anybody else's. You know what, I was only being polite welcoming you to our house, but honestly, you and Debbie's presence is disturbing me.”

 

“I think it's time to go, guys.” Ben said from where the others were standing on the door and hallway.

 

“Brian, we are really sorry. I hope you know how sorry I am.” Debbie sobbed to her hands.

 

“You know how much I loved and respected you, Deb, and it hurts so much to know what you've done. It won't heal overnight, Debbie.”

 

Debbie nodded her head while wiping her face with her sleeves. Then Ted and Emmett had taken Michael out of the house before he could make even more damage to his already breaking friendship with Brian.

 

When they were all left and went to Debbie's house-- except for Ben, Seth and Rodney-- Ted, Emmett, Mel and even Lindsay had non stop barreling Michael for being stupid, insensitive and remorseless. 

 

They all decided that day that both Debbie and Michael should respect what Brian had asked them to, to give him space. A space to heal, a space to think if he could still be friends with them.

 

Melanie threatened Michael to follow what they had been agreed upon if he didn't want to have a problem when their child would be born. According to her, she couldn't stomach the viciousness and deceit that he had done, and she wasn't going to let her child be around to a kind of man like that. She said, Michael needed to get his act together.

 

Fortunately, the Novotny's stopped pestering Brian and Justin, but the others were welcomed to drop by. It was actually great to have everyone again, and it was also a way for the gang to reconnect with Brian, and Brian to them. And in some ways, they had slowly establishing that camaraderie that they had before.

 

Justin was back to school since a week before Brian's released from the hospital, and his studies were doing okay despite what was happening to their lives. He was still on track to graduate at the end of that year, and he also started his internship at a gaming company called Xirxus and had to quit his job at Starbucks.

 

Brian had gone back to Vanguard just after three days of his release, Gardner and Cynthia, and their other employees had welcomed him back to work. Most of the employees were tense knowing Brian had been able to remember again, that he might be reverting back to his old self, but they were all please to know that their concerns were unnecessary.

 

Brian had told Cynthia everything, about what Michael had done and who was his current partner was. She was too happy to know that Brian's boyfriend was still Justin, but she was fuming with Michael and Debbie. 

 

She also resented the fact that she hadn't known what predicament Brian was going through, when they were seeing each other everyday. But Brian assured her that he was in a better place at that moment, and they should leave the past behind.

 

In spring break, Brian had asked Justin to go skiing in Vermont. He wanted to do the things that they hadn't done before, and going to Vermont was one of the things that they had planned but hadn't done together. Brian booked them in a beautiful lodge for a week, and Justin had enjoyed every single time of it.

 

Their first day had been spent skiing with a trainer, showing them the basics and safety measures, in which Brian was so adamant about. Their second day was the beginning of their week long skiing, they both loved it, though it got them so exhausted and slept for ten hours straight.

 

The next day, they decided to take the slope that was steeper than the one they took the other day. It was so great that when they arrived at the end, Brian tackled Justin onto the snowy ground.

 

They were giggling like teenagers for a while, when Brian suddenly became sober and seriously said, “Let's get married, mo chroí.”

 

Justin had gone speechless, it made Brian a little insecure, though his mind had been telling him it was what they both wanted. 

 

“Hey, it's okay if you're not ready. We are legal partners already, and I'm good with that right now.” He smiled and leaned down to kiss his Justin's lips.

 

“Yes.” Justin whispered when they pulled apart. Brian had the looked of surprise on his face.

 

“Really?” He asked hopefully, he was looking down on Justin who still had his back on the snow ground.

 

“Yeah. Let's do it. It's legal here in Vermont.” Justin smiled so radiantly, in which Brian answered with his tongue in cheek smile.

 

“We better talk to the resort manager, I suppose he can direct us to the right people.”

 

Turned out, there was a lists of wedding officiants that offered varieties of wedding packages, even for the last minute weddings.

 

They chose the one that had been recommended the most, and called her that very same time. She agreed to meet them at the restaurant near their lodge, and before the night was over, Brian and Justin had an official date to their very own wedding.

 

It was done on their fifth day in Vermont, and Mary Edwards, the Justice of peace, and their wedding planner as well, had done a great job considering the time they had given her.

 

The sixth day had been spent in bed consummating their marriage, and they just had to ski one last time on their seventh day to end their spring vacation that ended them being married.

 

Brian knew that this past few months, Justin was having this sort of insecurities and fear in his head. He knew he couldn't blame his husband for somehow doubting him after his memory had returned. 

 

Justin must've been preparing himself for Brian to tell him that he was ready to trick again, or that Brian might do something just to let Justin know where he stood in Brian's life, to put Justin in his place-- so to speak.

 

That first night of being married, Brian made sure to tell Justin what he needed to hear, what he needed to feel, and what he needed to have to quash his fears and insecurities. Brian made sure before the night was over, that Justin knew where he stood in Brian's life and never to doubt it again.

 

They came back with invigorating energy and their friends were suspiciously prodding them to let them in on their secrets, because their smiles were so telling that they had been keeping secrets.

 

In the end, they told their friends about their wedding and shared with them the pictures and other mementos from that day. They were all happy for both Brian and Justin and wished them a great life together.

 

Brian noticed, though, that Lindsay was a bit more emotional than the others. He decided that it was time they needed to talk, he knew Lindsay was trying her best to be a good mother and wife, but Brian wanted to clear some things with her.

 

He invited her to lunch the next day which she happily accepted. Brian started by telling her that he appreciated what she was trying to do. He shared with Lindsay how he was aware about her willingness and effort to be the mother and wife that she should have been all along.

 

Lindsay got emotional and confessed how she had done so many terrible things to Brian, and even Justin. She said, their first meeting and what happened years and years after that weren't all accidents or unintentionally done. She was profusely apologizing to Brian about her manipulations, how she had tried to tie him to her by getting pregnant twice.

 

That last information was new to Brian, but the rest, let's just say that he was well aware of it. Brian told Lindsay, that he wasn't innocent as well back then, he had somewhat used Lindsay to get into the elite circle that he found so rewarding.

 

But knowing that Lindsay had intentionally tricked him into having sex, with all the intentions of getting pregnant, had made Brian angry, but most of all he was disappointed. He didn't know why he attracted people who had manipulative tendencies. As far as he knew, even if Brian wasn't the best kind of friend you could find, he knew he wasn't that bad either. 

 

So, why were his two best friends had both betrayed him this way? What had he done to them to deserve this kind of treatment? Brian was so thankful that she didn't succeed. He didn't know and couldn't imagine if she got pregnant at that time when they were both so young. Brian wasn't sure if he could take the pressure and complications by having such big responsibility at such a young age.

 

Some of her confessions were so hard to hear, and even shocking to learn that she could do something like that to him. But in the end, he appreciated her honesty, and her apologies might be a little late, but Brian was so glad that she had realized what she could have lost before it would be too late for her.

 

But it didn't mean he could just forget about it just like that. He actually felt numb at her confessions and didn't really know what he wanted to do. This was all so fucked up, and he couldn't believe that his two best friends were the ones who was making his life miserable.

 

Brian told her to give him time to process because nothing was sinking in. Lindsay nodded her head and wiped her face with tissues and excused herself to the ladies room. They left the restaurant after that and Brian went home in daze.

 

After telling Justin everything, Justin told him that what she had done was sickening, but it was Brian who should know if Lindsay was worth forgiving for. She was already remorseful of her wrong doings, it manifested by telling him the truth when she could have hidden it to herself. And it was clear that she was trying to clean her act.

 

Justin said that she could prove her sincerity in time, and being the mother of Gus, Brian had to deal with her. And hopefully, she would really change for the sake of their marriage, her children and their friendship.

 

Brian hoped so, too, because he honestly didn't want to lose another friend, but he would not hesitate to cut ties to any of them if he needed to.

 

Few months had passed, it was late June, Emmett had broached the subject of Michael and Debbie. They actually had a surprise dinner party for Melanie, a baby shower, and they thought it would be great if the gangs were complete.

 

Brian had talked to Justin about it, and also about what he was still feeling when it regards to Michael and Debbie. In the end, Brian decided that he was willing to try to bury the hatchet, and meet them halfway. 

 

Justin also told Brian that he should do what he was just comfortable doing, if he was willing to talk, then Brian could try and talk to them. If he wanted to just eat with them without talking, then he should do that. He shouldn't force himself to what he was not ready to do, and even if he would now mingle with the Novotny, it didn't mean that all was forgiven. 

 

On the other hand, it would be good for him emotionally to deal with it than just trying to forget about it. If in the end it wouldn't work out, then so be it, at least Brian could say that he had tried, he couldn't go and look back regretting he hadn't made an effort to reach out.

 

Brian told Emmett that he and Justin would be coming to the dinner at Debbie's, and he wanted to invite Ben to come with them. Emmett said he would mention it to the hostess, but he was sure Debbie wouldn't mind.

 

The first dinner was actually a good one, with Michael being in his best behavior, and everyone from the girls and boys, to Ben and Rodney were all there. It made him feel a little nostalgic that he had to kiss Justin's head and looked at Gus who was playing with his transformers.

 

The evening wasn't bad, and Mel was glowing when she had realized it was a surprise baby shower for her and the baby. She was so happy opening gifts after gifts, to the delight of Gus who helped her tearing the wrappers.

 

Michael was subdued all night and Debbie was trying so hard to please Brian, but at the end of the evening, Brian thought it was good to have everyone around. 

 

Though, Brian had to confess that the dynamic of their group wasn't the same anymore. It wasn't the same group of carefree people who would throw insults and jokes so openly. Now, they were all somehow acting so reserved and had to be careful of what they had to share or not. 

 

He guessed, some things had already broken, the equilibrium had tilted, and even years of friendship couldn't bring it back to where it used to be.

 

Ben became the closest one to Brian and Justin, maybe the fact that he wasn't in any contact with the Novotny’s had made him less stressful to deal with Brian and Justin. He hadn't had the need to balance his friendship between Michael and Debbie, with his friendship with Brian and Justin.

 

Not that Brian and Justin thought their other friends were so stressed out in dealing between the Novotny’s and the Taylor-Kinney’s that made their efforts less sincere. No, it wasn't like that at all, but their other friends had to deal with being the middlemen, and they all know how the Novotny’s could get when they wanted something.

 

But both Brian and Justin would never begrudge any of them just because they wanted to maintain their friendship with the Novotny’s. This was one of the reasons why Brian decided to end the silence with them, he wanted to give their friends a sense of togetherness-- so to speak.

 

 

Brian was slowly warming up to Lindsay again. She proved to be getting better and she was focusing more on Mel, Gus and their new coming baby.

 

 

Brian and Justin were the first one to know that Ben was seeing someone. They could see how their friend’s eyes lit up when mentioning his new beau. The guy was a professor like Ben, who transferred from the big city of LA. His name was Sam, Samuel Thompson, and he was born and raised in Pittsburgh. 

 

Sam had settled in LA ten years ago, he even bought a house there, but his mother got sick with cancer a year ago and had to come and be with her. He left his great life in gay heaven to be closer to his mother, who was now in remission from breast cancer.

 

Ben invited Brian and Justin for a Fourth of July celebration at his house and introduced Sam to them. They both liked the guy, he was charming but kind, and he seemed to really like Ben, too.

 

Mel delivered her daughter, Jenny, a week after the Fourth of July. They all went to visit her and the baby, and Brian and Justin loved to have Gus for few days with them, giving the new mothers the time to welcome the additional member of their family without worrying about Gus.

 

When they arrived though, Michael was starting to get Brian to have pictures with him and Jenny. Brian yanked his husband's hand and hugged him from behind before he let the picture taken.

 

That's when Michael's mood started to get sour. All evening he wanted to have him, his daughter and Brian get a picture together, but Brian wouldn't leave Justin's side. Every time Brian was pictured, Justin was always in it, too.

 

Before they left with Gus, though, Lindsay handed the baby to Justin and tell Brian to carry Gus, too. Then she got the camera and snapped a few for them. It was a great time, and apart from Michael's tantrum that most of them just ignored, the evening was a happy one especially for the girls.

 

 

Michael started to pester Brian again, and he started it by texting, but Brian never reply him back. Brian had thought it out for few months now, but he really didn't think he could be that kind of friends with Michael again. Even with Deb, a dinner once in few months was all Brian could give. He and Justin never went to the diner for so long now, they weren't really comfortable with them anymore. 

 

When Michael's messages for him were left unanswered, he was calling his cell phone and even his office nonstop, but Cynthia would cut him off immediately.

 

Then he went to Brian and Justin's house, bringing another Johnny Walker with him, and Brian had to tell him right then and there that Michael was not welcome in their home. That they weren't going to be friends again like before, if they would see each other anywhere like at Debbie's, then it was just that-- sharing tables with common friends. Michael left so angry that time.

 

 

Brian and Justin attended another dinner at Debbie's with an invitation of honoring Vic’s birthday. This one had ended prematurely, when Michael made snide and nasty remarks about Justin. 

 

It was almost two months from the first dinner, and as they were all eating and talking about anything, Justin's graduation in December had been mentioned. They were all congratulating the young man for his coming achievement, when Michael had to say, “You better start working your ass off as soon as you can, so you can pay Brian back for all the money you owe him.”

 

Brian quickly looked up at Michael with undisguised anger and said, “My husband doesn't owe me anything. What's mine is his and vice versa. We have that in writing.”

 

“But of course, he wants to make sure he will get everything of yours. What does he owns that is actually valuable? And he is not your husband, Brian. You are not married.” Michael snarked back. Debbie was trying to make him shut up, but Michael was on the roll.

 

“He is my husband, that's all you have to know. And you shut up right now, Michael.” Brian warned.

 

“So, he got you to marry him? He surely didn't waste time, eh? Just how gold diggers work.”

 

The collective gasping and the shouting of Michael's name around the table was heard. Ben was readying himself to hold Brian back if he decided to lunge on Michael.

 

“If you have problems with me, Michael, address me. Don't talk like I wasn't sitting right here.” Justin said, holding Brian's hand, if it was to stop him from pouncing on Michael or if it was to support Brian, wasn't so clear to most of them sitting at that table.

 

“Well, if it's up to me, you won't be sitting on that chair ever.”

 

“That's it, we're done here.” Brian stood up, his face was flushing, and his grip on Justin's hand was tight. “Thanks for the dinner, Debbie. Good night to all of you.” He looked down at Justin, his voice softening. “Let's go home, mo chroí.”

 

 

The next couple of months were full of whinings from their other friends, who had been bugged by Michael in one way or another. Michael was trying to know when Brian and Justin got married, but no one was actually telling him. 

 

Debbie didn't know anything about it, and Lindsay was about to bite Michael's head off when he tried to get Gus to tell him about it. Luckily, Gus told his mothers that uncle Michael was incessantly bugging him, and Lindsay had to step her foot to stop it.

 

That had begun the fight between Michael and the girls. No one really knew what started it, but all of a sudden, Michael was petitioning for partial custody of Jenny Rebecca.

 

Debbie was livid when she had learned about it, and she ran to the girls’ house to shout at them, saying they didn't have the right to keep Jenny from her father. She didn't even ask what had happened, she just automatically lashed at the girls.

 

Few weeks later, Brian heard from Lindsay that the judge hadn't favored on Michael's petition, but he was given visitation rights. The girls weren't so forthcoming on what was really happening, they just all knew that they had this ongoing battle between the girls and the Novotny's.

 

***

 

Justin got his diploma from the community college of Allegheny county after all the hard work that he had endured just to finish it. He had stopped working at Starbucks since his internship at Xirxus, but maintained his good friendship with Seth.

 

Brian initially asked him to apply for his internship at their art department, Vanguard undoubtedly needed another graphics designer of Justin's caliber. But Justin said he wanted to see how far he could go by doing it on his own, and he was a little bit more interested in game designing over making an art campaign.

 

A month before his graduation, the company was ready to hire Justin, wanted to make him their newest graphics designer. Justin weighted his other options, Brian was still trying to recruit him, too. But with the working schedule the Xirxus had for him, which was only from 8 to 2, giving him few hours to do his paintings on the side.

 

In the end, he had chosen to stay where he was. Justin wanted to have time to paint, it would always be his first love-- well, Brian was his first love but painting was a closed second. Brian respected his decision, but he told Justin that he always had a place in Vanguard if he changed his mind.

 

On the day of Justin's graduation, Debbie had invited them for a dinner party at her house. It was two days after Christmas, and they actually hadn't had any reason not to attend. 

 

They hadn't seen the gangs on Christmas Day, in which Brian and Justin spent it with Gus at their house. But they gave their presents to each and everyone of them on Christmas Eve.

 

Debbie was really trying to reach out, but of course, she was Michael's mother first. Whatever happened, she would be at Michael's side. In a way, they all understood her. Downside was, she would, most of the times, get blindsided by her love to her son, making her irrationally foolish.

 

They all went to Debbie's house, with the man of honor perched on Brian's side. Michael was there, and he hadn't said anything, not even to congratulate Justin. Brian wasn't sure why he'd bother attending when he would just mope in the corner. 

 

Then he tried to talk to Brian alone, but Brian would brush him off. Well, Brian was actually angry at him, he had told Michael what he had decided and that they couldn't be closed friends again, but as usual, Michael would never listen. But Brian wouldn't do anything to ruin Justin's party, and so he stayed sitting with Justin all night.

 

“Brian, I think we should celebrate New Year's at your house.” Michael said when they were all eating the feast at the table.

 

Michael saw most of his friends had looked at each other, secretly communicating with their eyes. It took him few minutes of silence to finally get it. That made Michael furious, and decided to run his mouth again.

 

“So, all of you have been planning to have a party without me?!” He was shooting daggers around the table.

 

“Actually, Debbie hasn't been invited, too.” Brian helpfully supplied.

 

“How dare you do this to me and my mother, Brian. We've known you longer than any of them.” Michael screeched. Brian had only looked at him, lifting one eyebrow up, daring him to say more.

 

“Michael, leave it. Brian can invite us whenever he feels comfortable with us going to his house.” Debbie soothed his son.

 

“Not my call, actually. It's Justin's house, so, he gets to decide who he wants to invite.” Brian said, spooning the mushrooms on his plate to put into Justin's. Brian didn't like mushrooms, but Justin loved it.

 

“Oh, I didn't know you become the wife, Brian.” Michael taunted, trying to hide his smirk when Brian had frozen. Most of them were still beginning to know Brian and they weren't so sure that a comment like that would send him right through the edge, in which the old one would surely be running to the baths at that moment to make sure no one would call him ‘the wife’ again.

 

But what happened next, had stunned not only Justin, but all of the others who occupied the table.

 

Brian spooned the last mushroom on his plate, but instead of putting it on Justin's plate, he fed it to the young man’s mouth. Justin ate it with little hesitancy, but indulged Brian by smiling at him.

 

“Good?” He asked Justin, as if Michael hadn't just called him ‘the wife’.

 

Justin nodded, “Perfect”.

 

“I think I need to get the recipe from Debbie, I want to try to cook it for you. You love mushrooms, and I love you.” 

 

They all weren't sure if Brian was just fucking with their heads, and of course, by being closed again for few months now, they had witnessed how Brian was with Justin when they all got to hangout sometime.

 

But this was a verbal declaration and most of them hadn't heard Brian said that word ever. And he looked so serious, it was as if cooking and saying I love you were an everyday occurrence in their life. Maybe they were.

 

“You surely can do it, Brian. What you cooked last weekend for me and Gus, was mind blowing. Maybe make the mushrooms more spicy, though. Then, I'll reward you afterwards.” Justin said smiling so widely, then winked seductively at Brian.

 

The others were looking at them like they were watching a tennis match, they were holding onto their words. This was another development from the couple that they had slowly getting to know. It was still weird to watch Brian do or say something that his friends knew he wouldn't do before. But now, most of them thought that it was refreshing.

 

“Dad, make sure you do the hamburger this Sunday.” Gus, now over five years old, said to his father, who smilingly nodded to his son. “Dad makes the bestest patties in the world. He makes them from scratch, then we grilled it in our backyard, even with snow. Are we still going to the hills after lunch this Sunday, daddy's heart?”

 

Justin nodded enthusiastically. “Of course, your dad is dying to take a thousand shots from his new camera at downtown Pittsburgh that's covered in white.”

 

“Okay. You let come with you to ride bike in summer?” Gus looked hopeful at his father.

 

“Nice try, sonny boy. Your moms will going to castrate me and daddy's heart if we let you come with us. Maybe, when you are twelve.” Gus pouted, but then he continued to eat and had forgotten about what they were talking.

 

The others were still gaping at them.

 

“What is this, Brian? You are shitting us, right? You are letting Justin do this to you?” Michael said fisting his hands on his sides.

 

“Well, just what you've heard. I cook, I have picnics with them, I mow our lawn, I go grocery shoppings, I surprise Justin and Gus randomly, I sit with them watching 101 Dalmatians, I feed Justin publicly, I kiss him publicly and I bottom for Justin more often than you all could even fathom. I also kick ass washing the dishes manually. If that makes me his wife, well, I'm glad to call him my husband-- and he is actually my husband.” He paused to pointedly look at Michael. “Satisfied?”

 

***

 

The last dinner that they had attended, was when Debbie wanted to introduce her new beau, a police detective named, Carl Horvath. It was the beginning of April, the weather was warmed, and it was a great day to have a barbecue outside.

 

Ben decided to introduce his boyfriend, Sam, to everyone. They all liked his charming personality and it was just a bonus that he was tall, dark and handsome. Michael had been quietly brewing in one corner.

 

Carl was okay, they all could see that he was trying, but it was obvious he wasn't used to be around homosexuals. Brian thought, the guy just needed a little time to adjust.

 

At the middle of dinner, Sam had mentioned that Ben encouraged him to read the comic Rage, and was thrilled to know that the creators were actually Justin and one of Ben’s friends. He told Justin that he liked it, and innocently asked why they didn't do any follow up stories.

 

“It didn't work. Gay superheroes aren't famous as heteros wearing spandex does.” Michael said, but didn't even look at Sam.

 

“That's too bad. Well, the copy is going to be classic one day, I'll surely keep it. Signed it for me, guys.” Sam said, and Justin nodded timidly.

 

“What do you mean, not popular? Didn't you have the fifth printing because comic lovers, gays and straight, wanted a piece of it when they had known there would be no follow ups?” Ted confusedly asked, the table got quiet while Michael was squirming a little.

 

“How many copies per batch?” Brian asked, Justin wasn't looking up from his plate.

 

“The first one was 3000. The three consecutive printings were 2000 and the last was 3500. I'm working there part time, so, I know.” Ted said, then he looked at Justin in bewilderment, then dubiously at Michael. He caught Brian's eyes that was flashing in exasperation.

 

“How come selling 12500 copies isn't popular? That must've generated a good profit then?” Brian asked to the suddenly quiet Michael.

 

“So much expenses. The publisher is a shark, so not so much profit.” Michael lamely said. The table had gone uncomfortably silent.

 

“But there's a contract, I have reviewed it. The publication would only have a clean 40% on each sets of printing. 60% would be divided to the two of you equally. That would roughly be… Ted? Help a lawyer here.” Mel looked at Ted, who was already counting in his head.

 

“12500 copies with 4.99… Minus 40%... divided by two… 18,700.”

 

Brian shifted to looked at Justin. “Did you have the check?”

 

Justin looked up at Brian and whispered, “No, I haven't.”

 

The air around the table had suddenly shifted, the tension had become so palpable that Brian thought he'd be going to get suffocated.

 

“Why not? You have worked for it.” Carl asked, oblivious to most of the past history between the two.

 

“He has disappeared. And he didn't seem to need it now, Brian was paying for everything.” Michael decided his foot was delicious more than his food, so he tried to stick it to his mouth, like he usually did.

 

Brian's eyes were flashing with fury. “The issue is not about who's the one paying in our household, the issue here, is where the hell is Justin's money? I don't care if he needs it or if he wants to donate it to orphanage. What I want to know, is why haven't you given my husband his share? He disappeared, okay, the check must still be with you. It won't disappear, too, now will it?”

 

He's back for over a year now, so, why haven't you given it to him?” Lindsay asked.

 

“I- I forgot--” Michael stuttered.

 

“Why are you biting Michael's head off? He said he has forgotten, so give him time to give the money to sunshine.” Debbie, always ready to rescue his only heir.

 

“Okay, it settles then. You write his check tomorrow, we'll be by your store in the morning.” Brian sternly said, he had a bad feelings about this, and the people around them had been thinking the same. Michael was really digging his own grave.

 

“I can't.” Michael said stubbornly.

 

“Why? Michael, you are under contract. You do realize what it means, don't you?” Mel interrupted. She detested the man already and had more than their fair shares of fights over their daughter. She wasn't talking to him for so long now, and if she did, it was only if necessary.

 

“I'm the one who worked to sell it! What did he do? He did nothing! Why would I give him a share when he wasn't even around? Then now, who has a house? A new car? Who graduated from college? Well, it wasn't me! And he did all that without spending a penny. He never worked hard in his life to get what he has, Brian is throwing money at him! So, he doesn't deserve any money from me!” 

 

The outburst had shocked Carl and Sam, who had never witnessed that kind of drama. Well, Carl might've seen worse than that, but he wasn't expecting his girlfriend’s son was a nutso.

 

“Justin had worked the comic harder than you, Michael. You might be the one to sell it in your store but what you did was to write the story in a piece of paper, the idea wasn't even original. My husband worked his ass off illustrating that fucking comic. He was the one who spent weeks shading Zephyr’s mother fucking ass. 

 

“Have you had any idea how many times Justin had to suffer from cramping his hand? Did you know how hard it was to juggle your school, working the diner and doing your comic at the same time? He bought the ink for his printer when he used his computer, did you compensate for that? So don't talk to us about you working so hard, because you don't understand what is working hard means. I suggest you talk to your lawyer, because we are suing you.” Brian calmly said.

 

“No need to do that, Brian. I think you are overreacting, Michael can give Justin his money back. Give him the check, Michael.” Debbie voicing her opinion.

 

“I don't have it anymore.” Michael still stubbornly said.

 

“What do you mean, you don't have it? It's a big money, Michael!” Debbie shouted.

 

“I said I don't have it, I used it for the store. I renovated the upper part two years ago, and I upgraded the security locks and alarms. I also installed the camera. So, see, I used it for my store.”

 

“As you've said, it's YOUR store. Not Justin's, if you want to renovate or upgrade anything, it should be on your own dime.” Ben helpfully explained.

 

“Do you hold any shares in Michael's store, Justin?” Carl asked looking so disappointed. He never thought Debbie's son could do something like this to his own friends. Well, Carl was going to be shocked when he found the extent of Michael's viciousness.

 

“No, I don't have any shares with the store itself. I just illustrated Rage.” Justin answered.

 

“Well, this is a serious matter, Michael. You have to think clearly and settle this privately if you can, it will save you a lot more money.” Carl suggested, but Michael glared at him.

 

“I didn't ask for your opinion, you don't have the right to tell what to do!” Michael snarked.

 

Carl shrugged annoyingly, “I have the right as a cop to remind you the law. I can't do anything either, if Justin will decide to sue you.” Carl sipped his beer. “He can take your store if he wins his case, by the way.”

 

“He can't do that! I'll sue him if he do that.” Michael spewing spittles of saliva.

 

“Well, Michael, you better pay up if you don't want to get sued first. You used Justin's money for renovations without his approval. They could make you pay the interest for the 18 thousand for years. You would be digging more holes for yourself if you will bring this to court. And I'm telling you, you have a weak case. You'll just get in more trouble paying big bucks to a lawyer to represent you.” Melanie snarked, she still couldn't forget how he made her, Lindsay and Jenny’s lives a living hell.

 

“I don't have money. Justin doesn't need it.”

 

“As your accountant, I would suggest you tell the truth on this table. This is not a laughing matter, Michael, or some vendetta for Justin having everything that you couldn't have. You will end up broke.” Ted said looking at Michael intently.

 

“But he said he doesn't have money, Ted!” Debbie defended her son.

 

“As I've said, I'm his accountant, Deb. Apparently, he used Justin's money and keep his shares and profits. He told me the money was from an investor, I guess we all have forgotten about Justin's share as time goes by. I'm really sorry for that, Justin. I should have been paying more attention.” Ted looked at Justin's apologetically. 

 

“Your son is not poor by any means, Deb, he can pay Justin the 18 thousand without a problem.” Ted supplied. “I'm helping you settling this off court, Michael. We are stopping you from doing something stupid, when you can only give Justin what's his, in the first place.”

 

“You told me you don't have any money when I asked you for a loan to fix the roof five months ago.” Debbie said a little hurt from his son’s unwillingness to help her.

 

“Because I need the money! Don't make this about you, ma. They are all pulling me down, can't you see that?”

 

“Just pay Justin's money, Michael. This would stop right here if you do. No one’s pulling you down.” Carl interrupted.

 

They noticed Brian was talking to Justin quietly, and Justin was responding by leaning into Brian's ear. After that, they looked into each other's eyes, then Brian kissed Justin's forehead.

 

“Okay. Justin and I decided to give you a week to pay up. You'll give the check to Mel and Lindsay to split it into two. The money will go to Gus and Jenny's college funds. If you fail to do so, we'll see you in court. Either way, the money would still go to the children's funds.” Brian said in his ‘don't fuck with me’ voice.

 

“My daughter is not a charity case. She doesn't need your money.” Michael shouted. Everyone was rolling their eyes.

 

“Well, she won't need it if her own father would have been contributing for it, don't you think?” Melanie snarkily said.

 

“But Michael is giving support to Jenny!” Debbie defended his son, again.

 

Melanie snorted, and looked at Lindsay who smiled a little sadly.

 

“I tell you why I always get head to head with your precious son here, Deb. We asked him to let Linds be the legal guardian of Jenny, just so she could have any rights to the child in case something would happen to me or Michael. We weren't taking his rights but just an additional parent, like we did with Brian. He is now Gus’ legal guardian. But your precious Michael here, has stubbornly refused, and you know what he wanted? He wanted Brian to sign as legal guardian to Jenny. So, in case something happens to me, him and Brian would be Jenny's parents.”

 

To describe that everyone was shocked was an understatement.

 

“We refused, because Linds and I know Michael's intention was not about Jenny's welfare. It's his personal wicked way in attempt to get into Brian's life. When we didn't budge, he appeal to the court to have a partial custody. You all know about that. Thank god, the judge gave him only visitation rights. 

 

“But guess what, he visited his daughter when it was only convenient for him, never even asking in advance, just barged in and demand Jenny will go with him. Sometimes, we needed to cancel our planned schedules because your son wanted to have his daughter with him. But then, within an hour he'd be back saying she was too fussy.

 

“And with all the troubles that he had done, you think that he is giving financial support to demand things like that. In Jenny's nine months of life, Michael only gave her 500 dollars. Not that ‘my’ daughter needs anything from him, mind you, Linds and I can provide for her. If I would only be thinking about myself and my wife, I could take Michael's right to my daughter easily, I can challenge him to the court just like what he had done to us, but I want my children to grow up with their fathers closed to them.” Melanie was fuming, everyone’s jaws were dropped to the floor. This night was a night of revelations.

 

Most of them knew the drama between Michael and the girls. Debbie going berserk when she heard the girls and Michael were fighting in courts. She automatically thought, Michael was being fucked by them.

 

But none of them knew what was really going on. Not even Ted who was Mel’s best friend or Brian that had been the subject of their disagreement.

 

“Why should I give you more money when I know Brian is giving more than Gus could ever spend?” Michael was not backing down from this.

 

“Yes, Brian and Justin are generous, Michael. But their responsibility is to Gus. Whatever they give, we take just enough for Gus’ needs and put the rest in our son’s funds. Brian and Justin are also consistent with their schedules with Gus, they never assumed or returned Gus because he wasn't behaving.” Lindsay said and she was talking to Michael like he was five years old.

 

“Michael, you have some things to discuss with me.” Debbie said in an embarrassed tone.

 

“I will not discuss anything to any of you. How dare you all do this to me. I'm your friend, I've been there to each and everyone of you. I have done everything for you, Brian. I've been a great friend to you!”

 

“Yeah, you're so great that you've played with my amnesic mind and made me believe that we are boyfriends for nine fucking years. I guess, I'm also indebted to you for trying to blackmail me into a relationship by killing yourself because you were so desperate to take advantage of my memory loss. Yeah, a great friend would do that to you, right?”

 

Carl and Sam were horrifyingly looking at Michael. This man was a nightmare. The others were looking nauseous, they hadn't even thought of that before.

 

***

 

What happened after, something that both sides knew, was the ending of decades of friendships, something that they could never have again. 

 

Michael refused to pay after a week, he never contacted Brian or Justin, not even a word to Mel or Ted. Two days later, Michael had been served.

 

In Michael's anger, he went to hunt Brian. It was Saturday morning, so he knew Brian was home. When he arrived, Justin opened the door to his incessant knocking. He pushed past him, and yelled Brian's name while going from room to room like he owned the place.

 

He found Brian standing near the dining table at the dining hall, he was about to see what was the fussed all about when Michael appeared in front of him. Ben and Sam were behind him, ready to lend their support.

 

“What is this, having a foursome?” Michael snarkily said, shooting daggers at the three of them.

 

“What do you want, Michael?” Brian growled.

 

“This, you mother fucker!” He threw the paper onto Brian's chest.

 

“So, you've been served. I thought this is what you want when you didn't respect our deal.” Brian said coldly.

 

“You are not doing this to me!”

 

“I just did.”

 

“You son of a bitch, we were there for you when you needed us, and this is what you're going to pay us with?”

 

“Michael, let's just see in court. Now, could you let us get back entertaining our friends for brunch. Please, get out of our house.” Justin said behind Michael, who whipped back to face Justin with fury.

 

“You, slut! What, are you that great in bed that you get Brian crazy for you? You must be feeling high and mighty making Brian drool all over your ass.”

 

“Get out, Michael.” Justin said sternly.

 

“What? Did I get the slut’s feelings hurt?”

 

“That's enough, Michael! You don't get to insult my husband in his own house.” Brian shouted.

 

“Just get out, Michael. Get out of my house.” Justin said.

 

“Why don't you do that, and get out of Brian's life!” Michael roughly pushed Justin on his shoulder. That caught the young man off guard and stumbled backward. If it weren't for the quick reflexes of Brian, Justin would have been on the floor.

 

“That's it, Michael! You stay away from us, I don't want to see your face ever again. And if you put your filthy fingers on my husband again, you will regret the day you met me.” Brian said in between clenched teeth.

 

“We were great before he came into our lives, Brian! I wished you just left him on that cold cement when he was bas--” Michael didn't finish what he had to say, because Brian's fist was already connected with his jaw.

 

Emmett and Ted who were standing at the door and had witnessed everything, they arrived when Justin was about to close the door after Michael just barged in there, helped the bleeding Michael up from the floor.

 

Justin was holding Brian back, as well as Ben, who tried to get between Brian and Michael.

 

They successfully took Michael out of the house and called a cab for him to go. While waiting, Ted told him that Michael had definitely burned the bridge between him and Brian. Brian could actually forget about what they had done to him, but he won't let anyone say that kind of things to Justin. That was unforgivable.

 

“You really don't get it, do you, Michael?” Emmett said angrily. “Your friendship with Brian had ended when you deceived him, but instead of feeling remorse, you have to do this to them, too? They've been nothing but given you chances after chances, but as usual, you took it for granted. But listen to me, what you did today, you won't be getting anymore chances, honey.”

 

Michael went straight to Debbie, who combusted into anger just seeing the already forming bruise on Michael's face. She didn't say anything, but yanked his son and went straight to Brian's house.

 

When Emmett opened the door, he couldn't believe what was happening. Debbie didn't waste any second and got into a litany of insults and jibes. She went into calling Brian derogatory names and even bringing up his childhood.

 

“You are an animal! You hitting my child like he was nothing, when we were the one to help you when your fucked up father would beat the hell out of you! We were the one who fed you, you ingrate! What did my son ever do to you, except loved you? You are nothing, both of you are nothing to me and to my family! If you ask me, you deserve everything that you got! Both of you!” She pointed sharply at Justin, then turned to Brian again. “Don't worry, I will personally pay what my son has taken from your beloved blond boy’s ass.”

 

Everyone heard Justin's whimper. That made Brian got out of his trance like state, and went to embrace his husband. Then he focused on Debbie, the cold look in his eyes sent shivers down everyone’s spine.

 

But before he could say anything, Justin was already telling Debbie what he wanted.

 

“Don't think about the money, you can have it, but you listen to me. I will tell our lawyer to cancel the lawsuit, but you two will never, ever contact me and Brian-- ever again. I don't want your faces here in my house, in my work, or in Brian's office.”

 

Brian then added, “I don't want to hear anything from the two of you again. Is that clear? If not, I swear, I will sue you both for fraud, for blackmailing me and the money you owe Justin. I will not back down this time if you two wouldn't respect what I want. This is the last time the four us will be in the same room. Have a good life.” 

 

Brian lead Justin to the stairs and went to their room. Ted and Emmett had walked Michael and Debbie to the door, while Ben and Sam stayed at the house to clean the table and went home after that, giving the couple a space for themselves.

 

Ted and Emmett drove the Novotny's to Debbie's house. They were all silent inside the car, and both Ted and Emmett had gone inside the house when they arrived. Carl was sitting on the couch, but Debbie hadn't even noticed him and went to sit at the dining table.

 

“What's just happened back there?” Debbie asked in complete bewilderment. Carl shifted to listen to them, his forehead furrowing.

 

“Brian kicked us out, that's what happened.” Michael helpfully whined.

 

Ted shook his head in frustration. “Brian has finally cut the ties between the two of you, Deb, and you too Michael.” Ted scratched his head absentmindedly. “You know what, just do this for once, and do what he says. I don't think you can do more damage than what you have already done today, and that's saying a lot especially the history you guys have with them.”

 

“What did I do? I know I've said a lot of things, but Brian has heard them all before.” Debbie said in confusion. She felt scared for a moment there at Brian's house. She just felt that this time there was no going back.

 

“That's the main problem, Debbie. Michael told you that Brian punched him, the first thing you did was to run to Brian and Justin's house in a lightning speed, without even knowing from Mighty Mikey here what he has done to get that bruised jaw.” Emmett said looking pointedly at Michael.

 

“What happened? I don't know anything-- I just--” Debbie was struggling.

 

“Well, Michael came tearing Brian and Justin's house because he was being served. Michael, you thought going berserk would get you out of the lawsuit?” Ted addressed Michael. “Well, Debbie, Michael went on and on, throwing insults after insults. Calling Justin, in front of Brian and inside their house, a slut.”

 

“Not only that, when he was being asked to leave, he forcefully pushed Justin. Luckily, Brian was there, so he fell to his husband's chest instead of the floor. This time, Brian told him to go. Of course, Mighty Mikey couldn't just leave like a normal person. He has to have the last word, he said to Brian, that he wishes Brian just left Justin there in a cold cement when he got bashed.” Emmett said.

 

“Jesus, Mary and Joseph!” Carl said that startled Debbie.

 

“Carl!” Debbie roused from her chair.

 

“What did the two of you have done to those boys?” He asked, completely baffled.

 

“I didn't know that Michael has said that.” She said crying to her hands.

 

“Of course, you didn't know, Deb. But as usual, you just have to act without knowing anything. Brian was almost hyperventilating by the time Michael has left. You both knew how that incident affected him, but you just have to say those awful things you said, haven't you? Now, did it make you feel better?” Emmett said.

 

“I think, when you said Brian deserves what he got from his father and Justin deserves what had happened to him, you just cut what is still left connecting Brian with you. You just put the nail on the coffin by saying that to them.” Ted said a little melancholic. He was furious with these two people in front of him, but he was also sad that this family would never be whole again.

 

He wasn't a fan of Brian before, but after his second accident, him and Emmett had tried to reach out to both Brian and Justin. And they started to know this ‘new’ Brian, and really tried not to compare the one they used to know to the one he was now.

 

“This is too much for me. After deceiving an amnesic man, then you'd do this to him? What did Brian has done bad to the two of you?” Carl growled. He stood up after a while. “I can't stay here… I can't even look at you both.” Carl took his jacket from the back of the sofa.

 

“Just a word of advice, and this may be a futile attempt when it comes to you, but I just have to say this. Please stay away from Brian and Justin.” And with that, Carl left the house shaking his head over and over again.

 

Ted and Emmett left after that, too. They went to the girls and told them what had happened. They all knew that this would shatter what they had known for so long, the only family that most of them had in their lives.

 

***

 

It wasn't an easy few months after that. Everyone had tried adjusting to the situation, tried coping up with it, but they all had accepted it eventually. Might be because, after knowing what Michael and Debbie had done to Brian when he still had amnesia, they all had an inkling that the family they formed would be shattered in one way or form.

 

But they all had taken it on their own pace and on their own time. The rest of the gangs had been hurt and angry about what happened. They were hurt for Brian and Justin, that they had to experience and hear such horrible things from one of their families. They were angry at Michael and Debbie for doing that to someone they called family.

 

They all perfectly understood when the Taylor-Kinney wouldn't want to do anything when it came to the Novotny’s anymore, they would probably do the same. But how angry they might be with both, they still couldn't desert Debbie.

 

They would never approve of what they had done, and they would never be that closed like before, but they still let Debbie know that they would still be around if she needed them. They let Michael know, too, that if he wouldn't leave Brian and Justin alone, they would help the couple in throw his ass in jail. 

 

The girls, Ted and Emmett were still attending some of Debbie's dinner invitations, but Brian, Justin, Ben and Sam had never stepped on Debbie's house again.

 

Brian didn't begrudge his other friends for their decisions to stay connected with Debbie, she didn't do anything to them, so it wasn't his place to tell people not to be friends with whomever they liked to be friends with. He was just glad that for once, Debbie and Michael had finally left them alone.

 

Brian didn't actually understand why he didn't cut ties with Michael and Debbie immediately after remembering, when he knew it was only a futile attempt. But according to Justin, at least they did what they had to do, it just didn't work out. So, no regrets.

 

 

On summer, Brian, Justin, Ben and Sam had decided to go on a vacation together. The four of them had spent a week in a Caribbean cruise ship, it was so big that you sometimes forgot you were floating on the sea. They all enjoyed the trip, especially the island and beach hopping. They were so glad that they had done it. They went back home so relaxed and invigorated, ready to face life again.

 

Brian had focused on his job, his husband, his son and the life that they were building. Brian couldn't ask for more with what he had in his life, even though some bad things had happened, some pains and heartaches, Brian believed that it was just a way for him to be where he was at that moment.

 

What had been done in the past, he tried letting it go, he wanted to focus on the future, wanted to focus on things that mattered. 

 

He had been saving to buy Vanguard after a year, and Ted, who was now Brian's accountant after Tony had gone overseas, was helping him investing his money onto something that could guarantee a big profitable returns. And he thought, Ted might know what he was doing. He was considering recruiting him when he bought out Vanguard.

 

They were leasing the loft for almost two years now, and decided to sell it next year to add on their funds for buying the company. Everything was looking good, and they were projecting to have more than what they needed in a year. That had eased Brian's mind immensely.

 

Before Christmas, Cynthia and Gardner had barged in his office, both were smiling from ear to ear. When Brian asked what they were on, Gardner had widened his smile, while Cynthia rolled her eyes.

 

“Brian, congratulations!” Gardner said.

 

“I haven't signed anything yet, so, I'm assuming you're not congratulating me for owning this company.” Brian retorted, but he had a feeling he was about to hear a very good news.

 

“Not yet, but you will be in a year. But now, it's about the Clio awards this coming February. You, Brian Kinney, is nominated for advertiser of the year and your team’s work on Ramsen’s pharmaceuticals is nominated for the Best ad campaign. Congratulations, Brian!” Gardner walked up to him and patted him on his back.

 

Brian was so thrilled to hear it, and when his eyes flickered to Cynthia, she mouthed, “Congratulations!”.

 

“Thank you, guys. Wow, another nominations.” Brian said feeling so overwhelmed.

 

“Yeah, it's on February 6, in LA. I already told Cynthia to clear your schedule. I'm going to inform the rest of the employees. Now, you only have to make sure your husband's schedule, I'm sure you want him to be there with you. I'll let Cynthia book your suite for a week, that way, you and Justin can have a mini vacation. You deserve it, buddy.”

 

Gardner left after that, Brian hadn't even had the chance to say thank you because he was too shocked to move. Cynthia had stayed and congratulated him again.

 

As soon as she closed the door, Brian dialed Justin's phone.

 

“Hey, you slacking again, big guy?” Justin's jovial voice rang into his ear.

 

“I love you.” Brian said, his voice was still at awe.

 

“Did you just call me to say that?” Justin's voice had softened.

 

“No-- yes-- uh, wait…” He stammered.

 

Justin chuckled lightheartedly. “What? Make up your mind. Yes or no… No or yes?”

 

“Mo chroí…” 

 

“Yes, my love?” Justin teased.

 

Brian took a deep breath. “I am nominated for Clio, two awards.”

 

It was now Justin who got tongue tied.

 

“My heart, are you still there?” Brian asked.

 

“Wha-- oh my god! Brian, this is such a great news. I'm so happy for you! I want to kind of be there with you right now.” Justin said in a slightly emotional voice.

 

Brian kind of feeling the same way, too. He glanced at his watch, and saw it was quarter after one. Justin would be out of his work at two. Deciding his next move, he only said to Justin, “Stay where you are, okay?”, then he ended the call.

 

Brian collected his things into his briefcase, fixing the clutters on his table, then went out to tell Cynthia that he was done for the day.

 

He made a stop in a flower shop and bought a small bouquet of different violet colored flowers. It was a combination of roses, tulips, orchids and irises.

 

He went inside the Xirxus building, he had been there before, but just that once when Justin was working late and he went there to take him home. 

 

Now he struggled to remember Justin's cubicle, and when it took him few minutes to walk in on a maze like structure, but hadn't found his husband yet, he stopped one of the passing employees and asked.

 

“Excuse me, can you point the way to Justin Taylor’s desk?” He asked the young man who looked at him from head to toe.

 

“Hmm, you Taylor’s boyfriend?” The man smirked at him, looking at the bouquet on his hands.

 

“No.” He shook his head.

 

“Well, you aren't a delivery boy, that's for sure. So, why are you looking for Taylor, when you can look at me?” He flirted, inching his way into Brian's personal space.

 

Brian dramatically leaned a little backwards, as if calculating the man in front of him.

 

“Hmm, not bad. Although…” He smiled innocently, “...I much preferred brunet and tall.” The guy was dirty blond and shorter than Justin.

 

“But you're here for a blond and not so tall guy, kinda like… me.” He smirked.

 

“Yeah, but you see, he is different.”

 

“Well, I don't see the difference. He's hot, but I'm way hotter. He doesn't flirt, too. Kind of a monk, if you ask me. So many guys hit on him, but he doesn't entertain. I think he has a boyfriend.”

 

“No, he doesn't have a boyfriend.”

 

“Well, I kind of feel sorry for him. He must be celibate.”

 

“No, he is not celibate. You wouldn't believe how many times he got off every single day.”

 

“Hmm, doubt that. He is acting like a monk here. He is a great guy, don't get me wrong, but he is not game when it comes to casual sex, or even flirting.”

 

“Well, that's good to hear, I guess. Did you try to get into his pants?”

 

The guy chuckled, but blushed a little. “No harm in trying, right?”

 

“What did he say?”

 

“Well, he just said he wasn't interested. Mark got the hots for Taylor, though. He isn't backing down even Taylor has made it clear he wasn't interested.”

 

“Hmm, interesting.”

 

“So, what are we waiting for?”

 

“I'm waiting for you to tell me the way to my husband's desk.”

 

“Well, Mr. Kinney, your husband's desk is over there…” Justin said from Brian's behind who turned to face him, pointing his thumb onto his left side. “... But your husband is standing right here.”

 

Brian's face broke out into a smile, then caught Justin in his arms leaning down to kiss him.

 

“Hey…” Justin said in a daze after pulling away.

 

“Hey…” Brian was leaning again to kiss his lips, then looked into Justin's eyes. “So, who's Mark?”

 

Justin frustratingly groaned and looked over Brian's shoulder to the guy Brian was talking to.

 

“What have you been telling my husband, Powell?”

 

The guy smiled sheepishly, but then looked at Justin in confusion.

 

“You are married? You never told us that you are.”

 

“No one asked. I wear a ring on my left hand for God sake. Anyway, this is my husband, Brian Kinney, Brian, this is Allan Powell, the residence flirt.” Justin smiled when the guy stuck his tongue out.

 

“So, my loving husband, what are you doing here?” He said turning back to Brian who handed him the bouquet. “Wow, thank you. I should be the one giving you flowers. Congratulations again, Brian.” He stood on the tip of his toes, wrapping his arms around his husband, and kissed him again.

 

“You can pay me tonight, my heart. But I'm here to take you to a late lunch or early dinner date at the restaurant of your choice.”

 

“God, Taylor, how come you can snatch a man like this? Now I understand why you never look at guys, because you have this demiGod at your beck and call.” Allan said from their side.

 

“You still there, Alec?” Brian playfully asked, Justin snorted.

 

“I'm on my way, actually. Nice to meet you, Brian. If you decided to ditch Taylor's ass, come here and look for me, okay?” Allan teased.

 

“Doubt it. I promised mo chroí here, that he'd be my first and last love.” Brian retorted.

 

“Awww, I can't take it anymore. I'm going. Ta-ta.” Allan turned around and walked away.

 

“Hey, Allan.” Brian called.

 

“Hmm?” He looked over his shoulder.

 

“Tell Mark that you have met Justin's husband, and he is a jealous kind of person.”

 

Allan smiled and winked.

 

Justin groaned and yanked Brian's hand and led him to his cubicle. He collected his messenger bag, then they walked out of the building hand in hand.

 

***

 

Brian smiled cordially, shook hands politely and accepting the congratulatory gestures gracefully. It was a night that he would love to remember over and over again.

 

It wasn't his first time to receive an advertiser of the year award for Clio. He had his first one before he turned 30. But that time, he was focusing more on what it might get him, rather than the achievements itself.

 

He targeted a spot at the prestigious agency in New York, and fucked his way into getting an interview, literally. He almost got the job, almost.

 

He guessed, it just wasn't meant to be, Brian's future was in Pittsburgh. Now, he wouldn't even dare to consider going out of this place, maybe he would if it meant that Justin would be coming with him. Who knows, he'd leave that to fate, like he always did when something hazy was crossing his mind.

 

But right now, holding his husband's hand, sharing this achievement with the only man that he loved, had made this award even more meaningful.

 

His life had certainly changed since the first time he laid his eyes on Justin. It was gradual, and one could say a painful way to be where they were right now, but Brian thought it was all worth it. Justin was worth it, he was worth fighting for. 

 

Brian didn't regret anything, he might've lost some friends and family along the way, but it was something that he just had to let go. It wasn't easy in any means, but sometimes he needed to think about his own and especially Justin's welfare, too. 

 

Michael and Debbie had come to the point where they had affected Brian and Justin's emotional and mental well being. It wasn't a healthy relationship anymore, and as much as they would like to stay connected with them, they wouldn't have the peace that they truly wanted to have.

 

They had heard little about Michael and Debbie over the years that they hadn't seen each other. They heard that she got married to Carl just a year ago, and Michael was dating a younger guy who had been working in his comic store.

 

The guy was working as a help for three months before they started dating. When they got together, he made the guy responsible for his book, which Ted had already quit doing after the Brian and Justin issue. He recommended a friend to Michael to continue doing the job but Michael refused.

 

Michael had trusted his boyfriend, and the guy was doing a great job balancing the book for several months, before Michael wasn't checking the book anymore. After six months of dating and trust already cemented, he deceived Michael by forging his signature. All the profits and his bank account had been emptied after the New Years. His expensive collectibles that was roughly ten grand were all stolen, too.

 

Michael was left with what was inside the comic books store, and debts up to his eyeballs. He decided to move out from his apartment and sold some of his remaining valuables to cover some of his losses, and moved in with Debbie and Carl, in which the older man didn't really approve.

 

But Brian hadn't interfere with their lives anymore, and Michael was a grown man who could handle few misfortunes. Everyone had them, it's what made you a better man sometimes.

 

Brian couldn't wait to face the future with Justin, it was already better than what he thought he could ever had. Justin changed everything when he came into Brian's life, and it was true what they say about losing someone before you know their worth. 

 

Luckily, they had been given a second chance, and even amnesia couldn't stop and forget to whom his heart belongs to. Justin was the only man that his heart wanted, the one that he could see himself growing old with.

 

Brian was realistic enough to know that there could be some hurdles along the way, some things that might test the strength of their love, the depth of their commitment to each other, and how far their fidelity and devotion would go. 

 

Some would try to shake their trust, planting some doubts and some would even challenge their happiness. People would get envious and vicious, some would stab them at their backs, but he knew, some would have their backs, too.

 

In life, there was no guarantee for everything. No one even knows how long you were going to live, or if what he was feeling right now would still be there the next time he opened his eyes in the morning.

 

But Brian knew he couldn't live in fears, or let it run his life, or else he would regret the things that he didn't do.

 

His and Justin's life might not be perfect, no one ever had one, because life was full of flaws. But, it was them being together, facing whatever their future would bring, what made it so perfect.

 

Brian and Justin were ready to face the future, together.


Chapter End Notes:

Thank you!!! 

The End.
Nadine is the author of 1 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 27 members. Members who liked I Knew I Loved You also liked 921 other stories.