- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

 

Sometimes I wish that I could stand here and fade away, sometimes oh

So that no one could see the tears running down my face, sometimes

Oh, invisibility would be great.


       -Fade Away by Mary J. Blige


Molly was feeling uncomfortably exposed with her legs in the stirrups of the hospital bed waiting for the Dr. on call to come in and do her rape kit. Never in a million years would she have ever thought she’d find herself in this kind of situation. It had to be an awful dream she thought to herself, but the pain radiating through her body was a grim reminder that it was all too real. Just as she was on the verge of another bout of uncontrollable tears there was soft knocking and a gentle push on the door.




“Hi Molly I’m Dr. Jackson and I’ll be taking care of you during your stay here.”  Dr. Jackson was a very statuesque dark skinned woman with a kind smile and an easy bedside manner. She studied Molly’s medical chart for a brief moment before she pressed on to ask all the necessary questions.




“When was your last menstrual period?”




“About three weeks ago,” Molly answered




“Have you ever had any STD’s?” Molly looked at her incredulously and answered with an emphatic no. “Why are you asking me these questions?” Dr. Jackson explained that is was just part of the procedure to ask such questions.




“When did you last have consensual intercourse?” Molly blushed and replied “Never.”




After obtaining the information she needed, Dr. Jackson began to investigate further about the previous night’s events.




“Can you tell me about what happened last night?”




Molly silently focused on the speckled tiles of the ceiling as she felt shame and embarrassment flow through her in waves at the question. The rational part of her brain wanted to scream from the rooftop of the highest building to the world what those fuckers had done to her, but how could she possibly begin to tell this complete stranger about all of the horrible things that happened to her. Molly knew with certainty that once she started talking, Dr. Jackson would begin to judge her and somehow tell her she deserved it.




“I…I was attacked while I was attending a graduation party at a friends,” Molly managed to say rather shakily.








“Do you know the person or persons that did this to you?” Dr. Jackson asked as she waited patiently for Molly to gather the strength to name her assailants. This was the hardest part of the job for her as well as for the patient. Over the years she’d cared for enough rape victims to know that often times, the fear that their attacker would come back and repeat the crime or worse, kept them from identifying the attacker.




Molly slowly nodded her head then added “But I can’t tell you who they are. They said they would kill me if I told anyone.”




“Molly I know exactly what you’re feeling right now, and I also know how hard this must be for you,” Dr. Jackson started “But by remaining silent and allowing them to go free, you’re also allowing them to win.”




Molly couldn’t believe the nerve of this arrogant doctor thinking she knew how the fuck she felt. What angered her most was the Dr.’s statement about her letting her rapists win.




“What the fuck do you know about how I feel?” Molly spat angrily “Well I’ll tell you how I feel good Dr. I feel used and dirty, like a common whore that no one gives a fuck about.” Molly laughed bitterly before saying “You probably think I did something to deserve it don’t you? Well you’re wrong…so fuck you and fuck your fake ass sympathy.” The tears she’d been holding back were flowing freely down her cheeks by this point, and she didn’t know how to stop them.




Dr. Jackson wanted to be upset with the young woman lying on the bed, but she knew Molly’s outburst was only a defense mechanism being used to try to cope with her trauma. Being a former victim herself, she recognized it all too well. Dr. Jackson cautiously moved closer to Molly’s bedside in an effort to comfort her as best she could.  She needed for Molly to understand that she was not alone; so Dr. Jackson decided to share her experience.




“I understand what you are feeling because I’ve been where you are,” she stated simply. “My own husband wouldn’t take no for an answer and his fists could be registered as lethal weapons.”




Molly looked to Dr. Jackson confusion clearly written on her face. Was she hearing this correctly? Was Dr. Jackson actually saying that she had been raped by her…husband? Molly spoke her next words carefully and quietly.




“He was your husband Dr. Jackson, how could he possibly have raped you?”




Dr. Jackson fought back the tears that threatened to spill and replied “By forcing me to have sex with him against my will. Just because you’re married, that doesn’t give your spouse the right to take liberties with your body.” Molly nodded in understanding and started to relax a bit.




Satisfied that she at least had Molly thinking about doing the right thing and calling out her aggressors, Dr. Jackson decided to let it go for now and just concentrate on completing her exam and sending the teenager home with her family.  




Suddenly Molly found herself bombarded with camera flashes and directives for her to turn to the left, turn to the right, pull her gown up, bend over, show her legs, etc.




She had her fingernails scraped, mouth swabbed, and pubic area combed for foreign hairs and she had never felt so humiliated in her life. At that moment she wished she could just fade away and disappear.




When the physical exam was complete, Molly was told to shower and douche and that a counselor from the rape center as well as the local authorities would be in to speak with her. Molly really didn’t think she had the strength or patience to keep reliving the grievous acts perpetrated against her. All she could think about was going home and putting this whole ugly incident behind her.




“Why can’t this be over already,” Molly complained to no one in particular as she got out of bed and followed the Dr. out of the room to get showered and changed.








Justin arrived at the hospital shortly after talking with Jennifer about Molly’s situation. He rushed into the emergency room frantically looking for his mother desperate to find out what was going on. After quickly scanning the waiting area he noticed Jennifer sitting with Sarah near the triage desk.




“Mom what’s going on? How is Molly?” Jennifer was feeling emotionally and physically overwhelmed as she stood up and buried her face into Justin’s chest and cried.




“I’m not sure honey, but we should hear something very soon,” she managed to choke out when she was able to calm herself.




“How long have you been waiting?”




“About an hour and a half now,” Sarah said with a yawn. In his haste to get as much information as he could, Justin had totally overlooked the fact that Sarah had been there with his mother the entire time.




“I’m sorry Sarah. Thank you for being here for Molly and for my mother as well.”




“Hey it’s no problem,” Sarah assured him. “I’m sure she’s going to be okay. That sister of yours is a fighter.”




Justin gave Sarah a quick smile and a kiss on the cheek before heading in the direction of the admitting station.  Just as he approached the desk, he heard a voice calling for the Taylor family. Dr. Jackson explained that with the exception of a few contusions and bruises, that Molly would be just fine.




“When can we see her Dr?” Sarah asked breathing a sigh of relief.




“You can go see her now if you’d like.  But before you go, I just want to let you know that Molly knows who her attackers are.” Everyone stood there stunned by this bit of information. Justin was even more pissed than he had been before, he wanted to know the names of these sick bastards and he wanted them now.




“Who were they? Did she give names?” Justin asked angrily. Dr. Jackson let out a heavy sigh before answering “No. I wanted to give her time to get over the shock of it all before pressing her too hard for all the details.”




“Thank you Dr,” Jennifer offered




“You’re welcome Mrs. Taylor. She’s in room 227.”




Justin, Sarah, and Jennifer rode the elevator up to the second floor in relative silence. As they exited the elevator, Jennifer started preparing herself for the worst so she held Justin’s hand tightly while they made the short trip down the hall to Molly’s room.  Halfway down the corridor, the threesome was stopped by someone calling out to them trying to get their attention.  




“Excuse me,” a man’s voice boomed causing the trio to simultaneously turn around.  “Are you here to see Molly Taylor?”




“Yes we are,” Justin answered acting as the spokesperson for the group. “Who wants to know?”




“Allow me to introduce myself, I’m Detective Carl Horvath and this is….” He tried to continue but was effectively cut off by his companion, “And I am Assistant D.A. Brian Kinney.”





Chapter End Notes:

TBC