- Text Size +



Chapter 1

^^^^^^^^

Christmas dinner, 2015

"Do we have mommies?"

The family held their collective breath as Brian stopped carving and calmly addressed Briana.

"Squirt, the answer to your question is very complicated. Can we explain it to you and Patrick at another time?" Briana appeared to consider her Dada's words carefully.

"What's 'cop-a-clated'?

"Something jumbled up."

Briana leaned over to whisper into Patrick's ear. He nodded, apparently agreeing with his younger cousin.

"Oh. Okay, Dada."

Christmas dinner continued with no further interruptions or questions.

^^^^^^^^

February 13, 2016

"Dada, it's Valentine's Day tomorrow," Briana said to her dada very slowly, enunciating all her words carefully. She was going to be four in a couple of months and she desperately wanted to be treated like a big girl.

"Is it now? And what does that mean?"

"It meeens," Briana exaggerated the word in exasperation. "You hafta give the people you love a card and candy and flowers, lots of flowers."

"Oh, I had no idea."

"Dada! You give me and Daddy lots of candy and flowers and cards last Valentine."

"I did?"

"Yes, Dada."

"So I guess that means I should do it again this year."

"Yes, Dada, but..." Briana's face was screwed up with concentration as she tried to formulate her next question.

"What is it, Squirt?" Brian was lounging on the sofa in their living room. A fire was crackling softly in the background. Justin was out on the porch, painting. His "Old Masters" show was in full swing and it had garnered several special commissions.

Bree climbed into her Dada's lap.

"Dada, me and Patrick have no mommies to give cards and candy and flowers to. Why?"

Brian was dreading this 'talk' that he knew he had only postponed on Christmas. Bree was certainly her father's child. Once she had something in her head, nothing was going to get it out until she was satisfied. Justin and Brian decided to be honest with Bree as did John and Bobby. Patrick took the news well. Being exposed to many different families at school made the explanation go easier, that and the fact that Patrick was older and appeared to have inherited his father's gentle wisdom and common sense. Patrick embraced Rachel but still called her 'aunt'.

"Bree, remember last year when you and I took a long walk in the woods and we saw a mama deer having a baby?"

"Yes, Dada. I 'remebber'. It was yucky but the baby was so cute."

"Do you remember what I said … that mommies are ladies?"

"Yes. Boys can't have babies."

"That's right. Only girls can have babies." Brian punctuated his statement with a kiss to Bree's little nose. "Only grown up girls and only when they're ready and able to take care of them."

"Like Patrick taking care of Beau?"

"Something like that. Daddy and I are boys, so a very special lady helped us have you."

"So I don't have a real mommy?"

"No." Brian was beginning to become sad at the thought that his daughter might feel deprived at not having a 'real' mommy.

"But Gus has two mommies and a dada."

"Aunt Lindsay is Gus' real mommy."

"Auntie Mel?"

"Mel is JR's real mommy." Briana's expression made Brian want to laugh out loud. Her little eyebrows were raised high into her forehead and her little mouth had taken on the shape of an 'o.'

"Cop-a-clated?"

"Very." Brian could see the wheels turning in Bree's head as if her own little gerbil was working on overdrive. Then she reached up to pat Brian's hair.

"Daddy's my real daddy," Bree said as a statement of fact and Brian's heart fell into his stomach. Now he knew how Melanie felt for all those years, never really blood to Gus. Brian couldn't help the tears that began to well up in his eyes.

"You Gus' real daddy?"

"Yes, Squirt." Briana tugged gently on Brian's hair as if she understood why his hair and eyes matched Gus and that her own matched her daddy's.

"But you MY Dada," Bree said emphasizing the word 'my.'

"Yes, Squirt, I'm your dada."

"And the special lady?"

"A very, very special lady who knew how much your daddy and I wanted to have you. She gave birth to you so we could love you for all time." The tears started to flow down Brian's face; he couldn't stop them. Briana had the power to take away his soul. Bree looked into her Dada's face as if she knew.

"No cry, Dada, you my Dada. I love you, you the bestest dada." Bree threw her little arms around her Dada's neck to give him a hug. "I love you, Dada. Mine!"

"Yours, Squirt. All yours." Father and daughter hugged as if their lives depended on it and for Brian it did.

"But Dada?"

"Yes, Squirt?" Brian managed to squeak out through his tears, leaning back to see Bree's face.

"I share you with Gus."

"Thank you, Squirt," Brian said with a big sigh; his heart felt normal again.

^^^^^^^^

February 14, 2016

"Tell me again why we're doing this," Brian demanded as he adjusted his tie.

"Because it's Valentine's Day and Bree and I want to take you out to dinner," Justin explained.

"Yes, Dada," Bree said nodding her head from where she sat on their big bed.

"This was your idea, Squirt?" Brian asked.

Bree nodded again. "Special, for my bestest Dada."

Brian smiled. He couldn't help himself. Since their talk about mommies Bree had been most solicitous with him. It was like she understood Brian's pain at not being her real father and wanted to assure him that it didn't matter and that she loved him more than ever.

Bree was wearing her new red velvet dress with the little white lace collar. She looked like a little princess out of a Victorian movie. She was sitting primly atop the big bed with her little patent leather mary janes sticking out in front of her. She smiled at her fathers. "Pretty," she said as she surveyed each of them.

"I think we just received the Squirt seal of approval," Brian chuckled.

"Then let's get this show on the road," Justin replied as he scooped Bree off the bed amid giggles of pleasure from the little blonde.

Some time later following the drive to Pittsburgh they walked into Pappagano's and were greeted by Alberto. "Bona sera, gentlemen, so good to have you here for this special occasion."

"Special," Bree said from her Dada's arms. He had carried her so that her shiny new shoes wouldn't get any marks from salt or snow.

"And we have a very special table for three," Alberto smiled. "Follow me, please."

They made their way to their table. Alberto had the table ready for three including Bree's booster seat. Brian took off her coat and set her down at her place.

"You look like a little Valentine yourself," Alberto smiled at her.

"Thank you," she said with a coquettish bat of her lashes.

"She is quite the little temptress, that one," Alberto laughed.

"Don't we know it," Justin said as he handed their coats and Bree's to Alberto.

"Enjoy, gentlemen and lady," Alberto said as he hurried away.

They enjoyed a leisurely dinner with each of them ordering their favorite things. Bree giggled and watched her fathers hold hands across the table. Each smile from the little girl warmed the hearts of her fathers. They ordered a gelato for Bree, coffee for Brian and mile high chocolate cake for Justin. They were just polishing off dessert when a familiar pair walked by.

Bree looked up and called, "Gamma Susan!"

The woman stopped and moved over to their table. "How's my favorite little girl?" Susan said leaning down to kiss Briana's cheek.

"Goood," Bree smiled.

"Brian, Justin, good to see you again." She gave Justin a surreptitious wink.

"Who that?" Bree asked as she saw the man scowling at them from a table away.

"That's Grampa Craig," Justin said. "Don't mind him, Bree. He's an old grump."

"Grumpy Grampa," Bree giggled and waved at Craig.

Craig glowered some more and said pointedly, "Susan!"

Susan ignored him and explained that they were out for a Valentine's dinner. Justin said they had been doing the same, but had come early so they could get Bree back home by her bedtime.

"Susan," Craig said ominously.

Briana studied the man and then smiled at him. She batted her baby blues and Craig looked away. Bree frowned and then waved at him again.

"Susan!" he said more forcefully.

"I better go," Susan said with a smile. She kissed Briana's cheek and wished the boys Happy Valentine's Day. She walked over to join Craig who grabbed her elbow and steered her to their table.

They all sat back down and Briana turned to watch the couple walk away.

"Why Grampa Craig grumpy?" she asked not being used to people who didn't smile back at her when she smiled at them.

"He's not a happy man," Justin said as Brian signed the check and they stood up to leave.

"Oh," Bree said with a frown.

Brian picked her up and she looked over his shoulder as they walked towards the front of the restaurant. Bree spotted Grampa Craig and waved at him using her best smile. The smile broadened as she thought she saw a bit of a smile play across the man's lips. She knew she could win anybody over.

"That child is the biggest flirt," Craig said as his son and granddaughter disappeared into the foyer of the restaurant.

"She's a very sweet little girl," Susan declared.

"And when did you become Grandma Susan?"

"When I visited them in New York."

"You what!?"

Brian put Bree's coat on and picked her up.

"When did Susan gain the title of Gramma?" he asked Justin as they went out to get their car.

"Oh, I don't think I told you that she visited us in New York," Justin replied batting his own baby blues at his husband.

"No, I don't think you did," Brian said with a frown. "What are you two cooking up?"

"Me! Nothing! Nothing at all." He had trouble keeping the smile from his face all the way home.

^^^^^^^^

"You're looking awfully pleased with your self, Sunshine, now spill," Brian snarked as they were basking in the afterglow of a marathon session of sex and loving. Of course, Brian Kinney never basks, but we won't remind him of that fact.

They had gotten back to the cottage around eight. Briana's full tummy and all of her exhaustive flirting made the toddler very sleepy. Her fathers had barely gotten her strapped into her safety seat when Bree was out for the count. She never stirred as Brian carried her into the cottage, took off her hat, coat and gloves and began preparing her for bed. Carefully, Brian removed Bree's red velvet dress and her tights. He placed a kiss to each tiny foot, Bree sighed contentedly in her sleep. Brian put on her warm pajamas then covered Bree up in her blankets and quilt. Gently Brian swiped at his daughter's fine blond hair; his baby was growing up. Soon there would be no more family showers, no more giving his baby baths and no more of Brian Kinney parading around naked. Bree would be picking out her own clothes soon, and combing her own hair. Briana looked so peaceful and happy. Brian liked to think he was a part of making her so. It saddened him knowing Bree had to grow up and it also made him proud. Shaking his head at his conundrum, Brian leaned down to kiss his little sleeping angel's head then he left her room to go in search of his other angel.

Brian walked into the master bedroom and stopped dead in his tracks. There on the bed, surrounded by rose petals, holding a huge bowl of small succulent fruit and wearing ONLY a big red ribbon tied around his waist was Brian's other angel or perhaps, devil. Brian had no other recourse, no choice in the matter. Brian pounced!

"I guess I am a little pleased with myself," Justin said smugly as he popped another grape into his mouth. Brian quickly grasped his lover by the nape of the neck then pulled him in for a long, sweet, grape and Sunshine flavored kiss.

"And you have every right to be. I am so well fucked," Brian exclaimed as he flopped back onto the bed.

"So am I," Justin replied as his took a strawberry out of the bowl and bit into it. Then he painted the juice onto Brian's kiss swollen lips. The lovers kissed and teased then held each other tightly. After a while, Brian broke the silence.

"There is something else, isn't there, Justin?" Justin may have always been so onto Brian but that worked in reverse too.

"Nothing bad, Bri, I promise."

"So spill."

"Susan and I have been consulting."

"Consulting? On what, wallpaper patterns?"

"No, you asshole, on the wedding. Specifically, on how we can get Craig to walk Molly down the aisle."

"But I thought Molly wants you to do that."

"She does, but she really wants her dad to do it. It would make her happy and she hasn't always been happy." Justin sighed. Even though Molly was very young at the time of the bashing, Justin's mood swings and almost violent behavior, had frightened his sister. Craig wasn't there for her and Jennifer had her hands full with Justin. Molly had to cope with a lot of it on her own. "I want this to be the happiest day of her life," Justin said softly.

"I know you do, Sunshine. Can I help in any way?"

"Um, no, I don't think it would be a good idea." Brian leaned his head down to see Justin's face. Justin was embarrassed.

"Hmm, I get the picture. It's bad enough the asshole has to come to terms with his fag son walking his daughter, the bride, down the aisle. Having the fag's lover in his face won't help the situation."

"Brian, you didn't have to put it quite that way."

"I know, Sunshine, but it's the truth and using fancy words won't change anything. I'm not trying to be mean or hostile, I'm just trying to be real about this. You and Susan have your work cut out for you. And I meant it when I said I'd help. Even if that help means I don't go to the wedding."

"No, Brian, you have to be there. Molly loves you. It would break her heart if you weren't there and how would I explain it to Bree. She's had her heart set on being the flower girl and you escorting Muñequita. We have almost a year to figure this out. We'll find a way."

Brian heard the determination in Justin's voice.

"Craig Taylor will never know what hit him," Brian murmured as he squeezed a small orange wedge letting the juice dribble onto Justin's chest. "Craig doesn't stand a chance."