- Text Size +

 

Chapter 10

^^^^^^^^

Lacy was serving customers at the diner when she saw her father walk by the window. He hesitated at the door and then pushed it open making his way inside. He walked over to the counter and sat down.

"What can I get ya?" Lacy asked looking coldly at her father.

"Lu…"

"Don't even think about calling me that."

"Lacy," the man said correcting himself. "What's wrong?"

"Wrong! You son of a bitch! You promised to come in here yesterday and I…" She stopped, realizing that she was about to tell him that she had been waiting for him all day, and he hadn't appeared. "I need to take your order or else you'll have to leave," she said icily.

"I'm sorry about yesterday," he said softly. "I went home to get some clean clothes and I got thinking that maybe you needed some time to yourself to think about what I said."

"Yeah, right," she sneered. "Your order?"

"Um, whatever the special is. Lacy, if I disappointed you, I'm sorry. I thought I was doing the right thing."

"Sure," she replied and walked away to place his order. She wouldn't let herself once again be bamboozled into thinking he cared. He obviously didn't. The only question was why he kept coming back. That she couldn't figure out.

She carefully avoided coming near her father as she went about the business of taking care of her other customers. When his order came up she plunked it down in front of him, poured him a coffee and quickly hurried away to look after someone else.

As the dinner crowd started to thin out, Lacy noted that her father was still sitting at the counter. He had finished his meal a long time before, but he rode the stool and showed no signs of giving it up. She should ask him if he wanted something else, but she really didn't want to talk to him. She was afraid of what might happen if she did, or what she might say if he provoked her.

When most of the diner had cleared out, her father called her over. "Lacy, could I get some more coffee?"

Reluctantly she went behind the counter and grabbed the pot. She filled his cup and turned away immediately.

"Lucinda," he said reaching across the counter and grabbing her arm.

"Don't touch me," she yelled. "Don't you fucking touch me!"

She pulled her arm out of his grasp and slammed the coffeepot back on the burner.

"I … I'm sorry. Please let me explain," he begged.

"Alice," Lacy said. "I'm taking my break. Look after this asshole." She disappeared into the back.

Her father stood up as if to follow her.

"I wouldn't try that," Alice said. "Tony, the cook, has quite an array of knives back there."

Lacy's father slumped back onto the stool. "I need to explain to her," he said in what could almost be described as a moan.

"I think you missed your chance," Alice told him.

"When is her shift over?"

Alice thought for a moment and decided she didn't want to tell him that. "That is none of your business, mister."

"But … she's my daughter."

"What?" Alice asked in surprise. No one had told her that little piece of information.

"I'm Roman Baldwin," he said extending his hand to the waitress. "Alice," he said reading the badge on her uniform, "could you help me make Lu … Lacy see some sense."

Alice shook the extended hand. "I'm not sure how I can possibly help you. She made it pretty clear she didn't want anything to do with you."

"This may be my last chance to get my daughter back. Please," he begged.

"Okay," Alice said after a pause. He seemed very sincere. "I'll go tell her you need to speak to her. That's all I can do."

"Thank you," he replied and watched her walk into the back of the diner.

Alice went to the break room. She found Lacy staring off into space. "Um, Lacy, your dad really wants to speak to you," Alice said hesitantly.

"I don't want to speak to him."

"He sounded real sincere. He said it might be his last chance."

Lacy turned and looked into Alice's eyes. "Last chance? Why did he say that?"

"I don't know. That's just what he said. He sounded like he meant it."

"Um, I don't know what to do," Lacy said bewildered.

"Talk to him. What can it hurt?"

Lacy looked at her co-worker. She wasn't sure why, but she said, "Could you send him back here?"

"Sure, but don't be too long," Alice said as she went back to the front of the diner.

A moment later, Mr. Baldwin appeared at the door. "Lacy?" he said tentatively.

Lacy turned to face him. "Why didn't you come back when you said you would?" she demanded, glaring at him.

"I told you, I went home and then I thought I'd give you some space."

"Is that really true?"

"You don't believe anything I say, do you?" Mr. Baldwin admitted.

"I … I don't know what to believe," Lacy said in a whisper. "I'm so confused."

"There are two things I want you to know and believe. "I love you … and I'm so sorry for what I did back then. I've changed a lot since the day you ran away."

"Really?" Lacy asked her eyes getting very large.

"Absolutely. I want my daughter back."

Lacy watched the tears run down her father's face. Instinctively she moved towards him and found herself embraced in a gentle hug.

"I'm so, so sorry." Mr. Baldwin wept as he held her. "Can you ever forgive me?"

"If you can forgive all the things I've done since I left home," Lacy replied, her own tears threatening to choke her.

"I can forgive anything. I'm just so happy that you're alive."

They clung to each other in the smelly break room. Alice looked in once to see if everything was all right, but when she saw them holding each other, she hurried away. She could handle the diner by herself for a little longer.

^^^^^^^^

Brian and Justin were spending most of their days in Pittsburgh. "Drag Week" was about to start and although Justin wasn't directly involved except as a contributor to the donated artwork, Justin found himself caught up in the excitement. He spent his days at the Sidney Bloom Gallery and then evenings assisting Tannis and Roy at the GLC. Tannis still harbored an innate dislike for all things Brian; however, that quickly vaporized the first day Brian, Justin and Bree visited the GLC together. Brian strode in with Briana in his arms and he remained aloof, allowing Justin to take the lead in the conversation. No one watching Brian could help but see his love and attentiveness toward Bree. Even the tough exterior that Tannis kept up began to soften at the site. Briana had made another conquest.

Brian, much to his chagrin, was still playing nice and keeping the peace with the Drag Queens. Miss Briana went to Kinnetik's 'school' each day then was picked up and transported by Justin to the grandmother of Bree's choice. Grandma Jennifer kept varied hours so Bree spent most of her time with Joan and now less with Susan. Instead of driving back and forth to the cottage every day, the Kinney-Taylor family decided to use the loft. Brian and Justin took the opportunity to relive some of their memorable sexual moments while Briana was in the company of a grandmother. Briana thought the whole thing was one big adventure. She loved sleeping on the big fluffy futon pillows at night.

"Hi, Justin!" Susan had arrived at the art gallery in hopes of bringing Briana back home with her. Craig appeared to be softening toward the child. "Will Miss Briana be coming home with me today? We won't be making cookies but I thought she could help with some crocheting," Susan inquired with enthusiasm.

"Um, Susan, I need to talk to you about that." Justin had thought a lot about Brian's concerns.

"What's wrong?"

"What's wrong is that we've been using Bree in our little plan. What if Craig decided he's had enough? I don't think he'd get really mean to Bree but I'm worried that she may like having a grandfather and get too attached to him."

Susan frowned. She loved spending time with Bree and was overjoyed at seeing some of Craig's tender moments with the child. But Susan realized Justin had a point.

"Justin, I never thought of it that way."

"Neither did I. Brian brought it up; he's so protective of Briana. He said we were using Bree as bait. He's right. Molly and I are used to Craig's stubbornness. We don't like it but it doesn't hurt as much as it used to. Briana is so trusting. I can't take that chance."

"Do you want me to stay away from Bree?" Susan was heartbroken at the thought of not being able to see her sweet little angel.

"No, I didn't mean that. Maybe you can stay at the loft with her or take her to the library. Anywhere but where Craig may run into her." Susan nodded. Hurting Bree was the last thing she wanted. Too many people were already hurt by Craig's homophobic and stubborn attitude.

"Where's Bree tonight?"

"With my mother and Molly. They're going to shop for dresses."

"Oh," Susan said visibly disappointed.

"Susan, the clinic benefit begins in a few days. Brian and I are going to spend the whole week here in Pittsburgh. Briana will want to spend time with you." Justin placed his hand on Susan's shoulder to comfort her and offered his stepmother a smile.

"Okay, and you're right. I've been so caught up in this plan that I forgot all about Bree's feelings. I love that little girl."

"I know you do. Brian and I won't keep you from her."

"Thank you, Justin, and thank Brian for me."

"I will. Will you come to the opening ceremony?"

"I'll be there. I may even bid on one of your paintings. To hell with Craig!" Justin and Susan shared the laugh then she went home.

^^^^^^^^

Craig came home from work to find Susan quietly reading the latest bestseller. Craig looked around noting the lack of an aroma of baking cookies and the presence of one tiny blond tot.

"Hi, honey," Craig said as he bent down to give his wife a kiss. Susan smiled warmly at her husband. "Where's your little shadow today?"

"With Jennifer and Molly. They're shopping for dresses."

"Oh." Craig looked as disappointed as Susan had felt. "The wedding isn't for months. Isn't it too soon to look for dresses?"

"No, not really."

"Oh, I'll take your word for it." Craig hung up his coat then went into their bedroom to remove his suit. He came out of their room wearing a loose sweatsuit. "Seems quiet in here."

"I suppose," Susan sighed. She really missed Briana. Craig noticed Susan's sad demeanor.

"Susan, did something happen today?"

"No, why?"

"That child has been spending a lot of time with you. And now that she's not here you seem to be very disappointed."

"I guess I am. I've enjoyed babysitting. Briana is such a charming little girl and very smart." Susan leaned up against Craig and he put his arm around her.

"She reminds me of Molly when she was that age but her smile is all Justin's." Susan was afraid to break the moment with a comment so she remained silent. "I'm sorry I can't give you children. I'm not blind to the fact of how good you are with that child."

"That child is your granddaughter," Susan said as she wiped a few stray tears from her face. "Do you want to know the real reason why she's not here?" Craig stiffened at Susan's anger. "Briana is beginning to love us. Her fathers are so afraid that you'll say something to hurt Bree that we agreed she would not visit here anymore."

"Susan, I would never..."

"No? But you already have. You've hurt your only son by cutting him out of your life. And soon you're going to lose your daughter. And if this keeps up for much longer, you're going to lose me too." With that Susan jumped up off the sofa then strode into the bedroom, slamming the door behind her, leaving a stunned and shocked Craig in her wake.