- Text Size +

 

Chapter 11

^^^^^^^^

Lacy walked into the Starbucks and saw her father sitting at a table. They had met once since their reunion at the diner. This was the second time. Her father had gone back to Scranton to take care of his law practice, but he had promised to make the long drive to see her as often as possible, and so far he had not disappointed her.

She smiled and waved at him as she went to order a latte. She paid for her purchase knowing that she was able to do that. She didn't have to take anything from her father in spite of his many offers. She was not going to go back home with him no matter how many times he asked. She had made a life for herself in Pittsburgh and she liked being independent and self-supporting. But she was also glad to have him back in her life. It brought her a feeling of security that she had not felt in a very long time.

"Hi, Dad," she said as she slid into a seat across from him. It was Saturday afternoon and she was proud that he had driven such a long way to see her on his day off. She was glad that he was proving himself worthy of the trust she was starting to have in him.

"Hi, honey. You look nice today."

Lacy smiled. She had been letting her hair grow a little longer and she actually took a curling iron to it that morning. She was pleased that he had noticed. "Thanks," she said.

"So, what's new?"

"Nothin' much. I'm still waiting to hear from PIFA about being accepted. It should be soon."

"If that's what you want, I hope you get in."

"It's what I want, and I hope so too."

"I … I wanted to talk to you about PIFA," Mr. Baldwin said slowly.

"Oh?"

"Nothing bad," he said quickly as her eyebrows had arched up. That was always a warning signal that he might be broaching a topic that she didn't really want to discuss. "I want you to continue your education, if that's what you want to do. I just want to offer to help you in any way that I can. If you need tuition money or books or art supplies, you can count on me."

Lacy's smile spread across her face. She had truly been stymied about how she was going to pay for PIFA if she got in. Aside from accepting Debbie's help or asking Justin for money, neither of which she wanted to do, she knew that she only had enough money for the first semester. And she wouldn't be able to work as much at the diner once she started school fulltime.

"Are you serious about that?" she asked staring into her father's eyes.

"One hundred percent. I want to try to make up for not being there when you needed me. Anything you need, just name it."

"I … I only have enough money for one semester," Lacy admitted. She hated having to confess that she wasn't as self-sufficient as she liked to think.

"Say no more. If I paid your first year tuition, would you be able to swing the rest?" he asked with a smile.

"You'd do that?"

"That's what I said."

She smiled at him again. "That would make a world of difference. I can still get some hours at the diner and Debbie hardly charges me anything for living at her place. I should be fine if you pay the tuition."

"Consider it done."

"All I have to do is get in," Lacy laughed.

"I know you're going to be accepted. From what you've told me, you've worked so hard for this, that there can't possibly be any other outcome." He squeezed her hand in support.

"Thanks, Dad," she replied and she didn't draw her hand away.

"I love you, Lucinda," he said softly.

This time she didn't correct him. Being called Lucinda no longer placed her back in the bad situation that had caused her to run away. She felt like she was truly reclaiming her life, all of it.

"Um," she said, "can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Do you ever hear from Mom?"

Roman shook his head. "No," he admitted. "Ever since the divorce became final I haven't heard a word, but then I haven't tried to contact her either."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. When you ran away, it suddenly made me see what my life really was. Your mother and I no longer loved each other and we had driven you away. I knew things had to change. I was going to move out that day."

"But you didn't?"

"No, we hoped we could find you, so we stayed together for about three months. I hired a private detective when the police didn't seem to be getting anywhere."

"You did?" Lacy asked in surprise. She had always believed that they were glad to see her gone and hadn't bothered to look for her.

"He didn't come up with a thing. You really covered your tracks."

"Yeah, I guess I did." Her transformation into a boy and living on the streets had effectively wiped out any recognizable reminders of Lucinda Baldwin. She had made it impossible for her father to find her.

"Well, that's all behind us now," he said.

She nodded. She wanted to tell him about what her life had been like as a teenage hustler, but she didn't think he would be ready to hear that whole story, and then if she told him she was gay… Lacy wondered if she would lose her father all over again.

^^^^^^^^

Monday, Day One:

March 14, 2016, the kick-off of 'Drag Week' was about to commence. Brian and Justin had packed about two weeks worth of clothes and other paraphernalia to temporarily move back into the loft. When Bree wasn't at 'school', the Grandmothers were all scheduled to babysit. Even a couple of 'uncles' had volunteered to look after the popular tot. Susan had her time penciled in for Tuesday night. She was going to meet Brian, Justin and Bree at the gallery then spend the evening with Bree at the loft. Brian and Justin would make the appropriate rounds then Brian would go back to the loft to relieve Susan. Justin would be needed at the gallery for most of the evening.

The first night's activities were scheduled to begin promptly at seven at the GLC. Several local celebrities were present, as well as many of Pittsburgh's prominent citizens and business people and the Deputy Mayor was on hand as Grand Marshal. Owen was there representing his family as Molly was with hers. Most of Pittsburgh was there recognizing the important asset the clinic was to the community. Even Tannis had to admit that Brian as the originator of the clinic plan had merit. She especially appreciated the way Brian stayed in the background and his ability to keep the drag queens in line. Brian and Tannis shared one thing in common, their impatience with drag queens. In her least condescending voice, Tannis began the opening ceremony.

"Ladies and Gentleman, welcome to the GLC and the first Jason Kemp Clinic and Drop-in Center Fundraiser!" The crowd cheered and many flash cameras went off. "I won't bore you with speeches." Several in the crowd giggled at Tannis' proclamation. "You all know the agenda and we have a dozen 'ladies' who are ready, willing and able to entertain you and answer all of your questions." Tannis waved her arms at the 'queens' all dressed in their finest, ready to mill about the room. "So without further ado, please give generously to this most worthy cause and...let the games begin!"

The GLC exploded into cheers as the 'queens' swished and sashayed throughout the room. Even the Deputy Mayor, who was very straight, with his wife at his arm, was wrapped up in the charms of several queens. The 'ladies' cooed and flirted shamelessly in an effort to seek donations. It was all in good fun and for a most worthy cause.

The family was there to lend their support.

"Wow! Look at all the people," Debbie exclaimed as she and Carl walked through the entrance to the GLC. Debbie and Carl were greeted by several members of the community and the family.

"Hunter! And Dr. Nick, you must be so proud." Carl beamed at the two young men who along with Karen, the clinic's other counselor, helped to make the clinic so successful.

"We are, Carl. I'm so happy you guys came!" Hunter replied. He and Nick were all smiles.

"We wouldn't miss this for the world, honey," Debbie said as she drew her two boys into a great big hug. "I am so proud of you, Hunter, proud of you both. And look at all the people who are here to help the clinic."

"Deb, don't forget Brian and John. And Justin, the professors and students from PIFA and a whole list of people who donated time and muscle to get this clinic off the ground. If it wasn't for them, there wouldn't be a clinic. Especially Brian, this was his dream."

Debbie smiled and nodded. It was a bittersweet memory of how she had jumped to all the wrong conclusions, accusing Brian of tricking and bringing Hunter down with him.

Hunter could see the regret in Debbie's eyes. "Debbie, all of that is forgotten." Hunter gave his grandmother a kiss on the cheek. Just then, 'grandpa' sauntered over to them with a rustle of her petticoats.

"Oh my! What a handsome couple you two make," Divina gushed as she looked over Hunter and Nick. "And you two..." Divina took a long look at Debbie and Carl as they held hands. You two are just beautiful and so in love. I'm jealous as all hell." Divina blew them a kiss then sashayed away to work the room, leaving four gawking people.

"Deb...," Hunter began. He felt a little guilty for pursuing a relationship with his grandfather.

"Hunter, sweetheart, you do what you need to do. I have no right to dictate who you can love or want as part of your family. I mean, fuck! I have the craziest family in Pittsburgh. I just want you to be happy, honey." Hunter smiled brightly at the woman who had taken him in and loved him.

"Hunter, my boy, Danny is a good man under all of that make up. You couldn't have picked a better man to be your grandfather. He's welcome in our home anytime." Carl added his good wishes to his wife's. Nick put his arm around his partner, giving Hunter emotional support.

"I don't know, I think maybe you'd be a great grandfather too, given half a chance." Hunter gave Carl and Debbie a hug then sent them off to mingle. He and Nick went to go mingle too.

^^^^^^^^

"Sunshine, I am so glad this first night is over. I have never smiled so much and kissed so much ass in my whole life. My cheeks hurt from all the smiling I did." Brian groused to Justin as they entered the loft. Brian began to massage his face. It was almost two in the morning when they left the GLC, and participants were still there in force when Brian and Justin decided to go home.

"Your cheeks can't possibly hurt any more than mine. I have never been pinched by so many drag queens and it's not just my face that's sore, if you know what I mean." Justin rubbed his ass for effect as Brian giggled. Justin might be a man in his thirties but his face remained cherub-like, irresistible to a drag queen. Justin flashed his own version of a death glare.

"Come on, little boy, let's take a nice warm shower. I'll take care of all your aches and pains." Brian waggled his eyes at his spouse.

"Promise?" Justin knew the answer but loved hearing Brian's reply.

"I promise, Sunshine." As they tiptoed up the steps to the bedroom they spied Bree and Joan fast sleep on the bed.

"We're going to have to be very quiet while you take care of my sore cheeks," Justin whispered. Brian sighed at the sight of his mother sleeping serenely with Bree nestled safely close. He truly felt lucky to have his family whole again.

"I can do that," Brian whispered back as he led Justin into the bathroom then shut and locked the door behind them. Brian was a man on mission and that mission was one Justin Taylor.

^^^^^^^^

"This hotel better be on fire," Danny grumbled into the phone. Divina had stumbled into the Plaza at about four that morning and it was only nine.

"Huh?"

"Who is this?" Danny demanded.

"Um, it's me Miss Devore, Michael."

"Michael?"

"Michael Novotny, Debbie's son."

"I know who you are. What can I do for you, Michael Novotny, Debbie's son?"

"I just wanted to let you know that it's okay with me."

"Okay about what?"

"You and Hunter."

"Me and Hunter, what?"

"Spending time together."

"Oh. Thank you but Hunter is an adult. He can make up his own mind."

"I know."

"But I am grateful," Danny hesitated. He really wanted to ask about JR but was too afraid of the answer. He wasn't going to push it.

"Well, um, goodbye, Miss Devore. I guess I'll see you tonight at the gallery. I have some Rage stuff on display."

"Divina will be there. Goodnight, Michael." Danny cut the connection. "Well, I'll be damned," he mumbled then readjusted his sleep mask as he laid back down. Danny abruptly sat up then dialed the Plaza operator.

"Please hold my calls! I need my beauty sleep," Divina bellowed out her demands to the hapless operator. Slamming down the phone, she readjusted her mask then dramatically fell back onto the bed.

^^^^^^^^

"Brian, what are you doing?" Justin asked as he came down the steps from the loft bedroom. He had had a shower and looked all scrubbed and shiny.

Brian glanced at him but then went back to staring up into the rafters. He didn't want to talk to anybody if he could avoid it.

Joan had slept all night on the big bed with Bree, so Justin and Brian had resorted to the futon for the night. It was only a short while ago that they had all got up and that Joan had left to go back to her own home. Briana was playing with Muñequita on the floor and Brian was sprawled out on the chaise.

"What the fuck does it look like I'm doing?" Brian said trying to keep some of his bad temper out of his voice. But he didn't try very hard.

"Besides acting like a bear with a sore paw, I'd say you're feeling sorry for yourself."

Brian glared. "I have every right."

Justin ignored the comment and asked, "Did you give Bree anything to eat?"

"Milk and Cheerios."

"Cheewios," Bree giggled as she hugged Muñequita.

"Good," Justin replied.

"Well, I'm glad something meets with your approval," Brian said with acrimony in his voice.

"What crawled up your ass?" Justin asked. All the benefits of his nice warm shower had been negated by Brian's attitude. He hadn't enjoyed sleeping on the floor even on top of the futon. He wasn't prepared to put up with Brian's petty complaints at the moment.

Brian snorted. "Fucking lot of sympathy I get, after I spent a whole day with those fu…frigging queens." He looked over at Bree who was continuing to tell her dolly some complicated story. "And I have six more days to put up with their demands and their gripes and their incessant bickering with each other."

"Nobody said you had to do it," Justin stated.

"And if I don't, who will?"

Justin shrugged. "I could say that it's not my problem."

Brian let out a long sigh. "I … I didn't mean to be such a bitch."

"I know. And nobody does bitchiness quite like you."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yeah." Justin couldn't help but grin.

"Come here, you," Brian ordered.

Justin sauntered nonchalantly towards his husband. "Something I can do for you?" he asked with a suggestive grin.

"Always." Brian pulled him down on top of him and started kissing his face and neck and shoulder. "You smell good."

"Up, Dada, me too," Bree demanded abandoning her doll and wanting to get some of the loving that she saw her fathers experiencing.

Brian groaned. He had managed to shut out everything, including his daughter and the fucking drag queens, while he concentrated on Justin. That had been very short lived.

"Up!" Bree said again. "Please."

"Come on, Squirt. I might as well be a human pancake, since I'm not good for much else today," Brian said with a smile. He pulled Bree up on top of him where she joined her other father. They both kissed Brian's face until he had to laugh and return to the more bearable persona that he affected most of the time.