- Text Size +

 

Chapter 13

^^^^^^^^

Day Two of Drag Week ended happily for all concerned. The bids for the silent auction were approaching the half million mark with no end in sight. The local historical society had already placed the theater on their must see tourist attraction list but now they officially 'adopted' the building, thus making the theater qualify for federal grants and funds to keep the place running. The process had been started when the renovations to the theater were completed but governmental bureaucracy did things in its own time. It was one less burden for Brian and his close knit band of contributors to worry about, although Brian would never consider the theater, or any part of the clinic project, a burden.

Brian was planning to leave the gallery early to relieve Susan; however, at Justin's insistence and in deference to a certain tender part of Justin's anatomy, Brian decided to stay. Justin thought it best to compromise, so the couple left the gallery shortly after midnight.

"So Lacy got her acceptance letter?" Brian asked as he pulled back the loft door.

"Yup, she can start in the Fall or take one or two classes over the Summer," Justin replied. They were speaking quietly just in case Susan and Bree were asleep.

"And tuition?"

"We'll work it out, Bri. Lacy deserves this chance. She's good, Bri, real good. She just needs the confidence to go with the talent."

"Like some other blond artist I know?" Justin smiled at his partner. "If she doesn't get a scholarship, I'm sure she'll qualify for Kinnetik's tuition assistance program. You're right; her work is good. When she's completed her first semester, let's see if she'll qualify for an internship. She was very creative with the Rage PR."

Justin gave Brian a hug. "You're a good man, Brian Kinney," Justin beamed.

"Shush, that's a secret."

"Too late, that secret's been out for years," Justin replied as he looked around for Bree.

"She's here, asleep in her tent on the futon in the alcove. I hope you don't mind. I rearranged the furniture a bit," Susan admitted. Susan had taken four chairs and draped a large sheet over them successfully making a tent for Bree. In it Briana was peacefully sleeping surrounded by all of her dolls and stuffed animals.

"Did she behave?" Justin asked pensively. He and Brian hadn't totally recovered from Bree's 'moments' the previous Fall.

"She was an angel," Susan replied and Brian snorted.

"Did you cook or go out for dinner?" Brian asked as he opened the refrigerator for a couple of bottles of water, noting nothing out of place. He offered a bottle to Susan who declined and to Justin.

"Um, we went out," Susan hesitated a bit.

"Oh, where?" Brian asked as he took a long draft from his bottle.

"The diner."

"The diner!" Brian nearly choked. "Our diner, the Liberty diner!"

Susan burst out laughing. "Yes, that diner. I asked Bree what she wanted for dinner."

"Hot dogs," Brian and Justin said together.

"Yup. And I asked her where was the best place for hotdogs."

"The diner," Brian and Justin said in unison.

"Right again"

"How did you know where the diner was?" Justin asked.

"Justin, honey, I'm not that ignorant." Justin blushed. He had to stop assuming that just because his father was a homophobe, it meant that Susan was, or that she had no knowledge of the infamous diner. "I called your mother for directions!"

Both dads took turns thumping each other on the back.

"As it turned out Joan was with Jennifer when I called. They decided to meet us at the diner."

"Tell me you're joking," Brian pleaded.

"No, I'm not. They had planned a late supper together then to go to the gallery. They made a little detour and met us at the diner. We had a fun girls' night out."

"I think I need to sit down." Brian looked a bit green as he headed for the sofa. Justin and Susan closely followed.

"Brian, are you okay?" Justin asked with concern.

"Sunshine, think about it. I barely got my head around your mother and my mother being friends. Now add your step-mom into the mix. It's all too much," Brian said as he plopped down on the sofa.

"Oh and Debbie showed up too."

"Great!" In true drama queen style, Brian dramatically feigned a swoon and sprawled himself on the sofa. Susan and Justin began to giggle.

"Justin, I think this is my cue to leave. Call me tomorrow."

"I'll walk you to your car." Susan nodded then got her coat and bag.

"Goodnight, Brian," Susan called out as she went to the door. She laughed as Brian gave her the royal wave.

Brian was still on the sofa when Justin returned. Justin locked up the loft, set the alarm, toed off his shoes then sat on the sofa too. Brian scrunched to the back of the sofa to make room.

"Are you finished having your moment?" Justin asked with mirth in his voice. Brian's arm was hiding his eyes.

"Maybe. Why?"

"Just curious," Justin said nonchalantly as his sidled to the arm of the sofa where Brian's boot clad feet were resting. Justin took each foot, removed the boot and firmly massaged Brian's feet. "You know, those drag queens have nothing over you in the drama department."

"I suppose."

"And you have to admit that's rather ironic that your mom, my mom, your surrogate mom and my step-mom have become friends."

"Mmm."

"We're two very lucky men."

"That's one lucky drama princess and one lucky drama queen."

"I stand corrected." Justin remained quiet and when it appeared that Brian had no intention of going to bed, Justin gave him a hint. "Come on, big guy, you need your beauty sleep."

"I don't think I can move, Sunshine."

Justin helped Brian strip down to his underwear. He removed his own clothes then they snuggled into the plush sofa. Brian grabbed the throw off the back of the sofa to cover them. The lovers kissed then drifted peacefully to sleep.

^^^^^^^^

"Kinney." Brian stretched as he answered his insistent cell phone.

"Brian, where are you?"

"Home, Mikey, where are you?"

"Home? The cottage?"

"No, the loft."

"What are you doing there?"

"I was sleeping until I had to answer the phone."

"Oh, sorry. We're at the bowling alley."

"What are you doing there?"

"Hunter called and told me to come over. You should see this, Bri. The, the..."

"Drag queens."

"Yeah, them. They're all here dressed up in uniforms. They're doing publicity shots. It's hysterical. They look like they just stepped out of a 1950's drive in."

"I know, Mikey."

"How?"

"How?! I designed the costumes."

"You?"

"Geez, Mikey, I'm in advertising, I know how to package a product."

"Oh. Wow!"

"Yeah, wow. Now can I go back to sleep?"

"I guess so. You really should be here, Bri. They're asking for you."

"They who?"

"The, the..."

"Drag queens. Michael, you've been gay your whole life and you still can't talk about a bunch of fags who dress up in dresses! What am I going to do with you?"

"I don't know, love me?"

"Always, Mikey. Always have, always will. Give us an hour, we'll be there."

"That's great, Bri. Mel's bringing JR as soon as she gets out of school and Gus just walked in. See you soon, okay?"

"Okay, Mikey." Brian cut the connection and sat up to look around for Justin and Bree.

"Dada!" Bree shrieked as she came barreling down the bedroom steps into the living room and flung herself in her Dada's arms.

"Hiya, Squirt. What have you been up to?"

"I got a baff and I had breakfast and, and..."

"Slow down, little lady. And the word is bath. Where's your Daddy?"

"Right here, Bri. I'm glad to see you're finally awake."

"I must have been more tired than I thought." Brian yawned widely and stretched again. "The last thing I remember was you massaging my feet. Which, by the way, felt great. You should do that more often."

"I'll keep that in mind. Right now you need to take a shower. I heard you tell Mikey we'd be at the bowling alley in an hour. I have coffee ready for you. Bree's all dressed and ready to go and so am I. That just leaves you."

"I get the hint, Sunshine. Give me about twenty minutes."

^^^^^^^^

"Think he'll show?" Hunter asked Michael as soon as he finished his conversation with Brian. "Divina and the rest of the ladies want to give Brian a special gift."

"He'll show. Who better than me to act all whiny and stupid," Michael snarked.

"You're not stupid, Michael."

"Yeah, well, I've had years of practice acting that way. Look, there's Ma and the rest of the guys. Let's get some pictures with them and the 'ladies'. I want one of you, me and Ben." Michael smiled at his son.

"Me too, Dad!" Hunter laughed and they went to join the guys and the queens.

^^^^^^^^

Brian, Justin and Briana entered the Liberty Bowling Alley in mid photo shoot. The ladies were all flirting, vying for attention from the photographer who happened to be rather good looking and very charming. Paul was Brian and Kinnetik's best photographer. He had a way with his models. The ladies recognized him as the best in the business. They all wanted to be photographed in their most flattering light. Paul had his hands full.

"Hey, big guy!" Hunter called out. "You made it. And looking good enough to eat." Before Brian could reply, Justin got into Hunter's face.

"Hands off; he's taken."

"Cool your jets, blondie. You know I like messin' with ya. You're so easy." Hunter and Brian cracked up at the scowl on Justin's face.

"He's got you there, Sunshine. You are easy."

"Fuck you, Brian," Justin sneered but not really angry.

"Whoa! And you kiss your daughter with that mouth?" Hunter gasped. "Come with me, Squirt. Let's get you a hot dog." Hunter commandeered Briana from Brian to bring her to the snack bar. "You two," Hunter called over his shoulder, "go make nice." Hunter indicated the ladies.

Divina had confided to Hunter about the gift that the drag queens wanted to give Brian to thank him for all that he did for them as they prepared for this week's activities. But what to get for someone who has practically everything he could possibly want? The answer was continued sponsorship for the bowling alley. Each queen had received substantial publicity from participating in the fundraiser. They decided they would each donate a portion of their future income. All that was left was to present the gift to Brian and take hundreds of pictures as they did.

^^^^^^^^

Divina sashayed up to Melanie. She had been watching the woman that she knew to be the mother of her granddaughter. Divina had already decided that one didn't mess with Ms Marcus. She knew she would have to handle the younger woman carefully.

"Ms Marcus, I presume," Divina said.

Melanie turned and her eyes narrowed as she sized up the old queen. So this was Michael's father. "What can I do for you?"

"I wanted to introduce myself," Divina said extending her hand to be shaken. "I'm Divina Devore."

"Michael's father," Melanie said in a whisper so that no one nearby would be able to overhear.

Divina gently shook Melanie's hand as she tried to collect herself. She had heard that Melanie Marcus was blunt and to the point, but she hadn't expected her to go right to the heart of the matter like that. "I don't claim that title," Divina replied. "Michael's father was a war hero."

Melanie nodded in tacit agreement with the drag queen. She wouldn't pursue that any farther. "So, what can I do for you, Ms Devore?"

"I understand that Michael and you have a daughter."

Melanie blanched. She had wondered how she would respond to this when the subject was broached. Part of her wanted JR to have a grandfather. The other part of her wanted to protect her little girl, keep her safe from this man, woman, drag queen, that they knew little about. That's why she had decided at the last minute to leave JR at home with a neighbor. She wasn't ready for her daughter to meet Divina Devore. In fact she wasn't at all sure that she ever wanted that to happen. "And what might your intentions be in that regard?" she asked keeping her voice even and calm.

"I … I'd like to get to know her … if you see fit to let that happen."

Melanie looked into the heavily eye shadowed and mascaraed eyes. "Who wants to get to know her? You, or Danny?"

"I can swing either way," Divina said glibly. He immediately regretted his words as he met Melanie's now steely glare. "Poor choice of words. I meant that I can appear in whatever capacity you choose to welcome me."

"What makes you think I would welcome you at all?"

"Ms Marcus, I hate to admit it, but I'm not getting any younger. I'm thinking of retiring and the only family that I have … could have, is here in Pittsburgh. I want to be a part of their lives, and … I'll do anything it takes to have that happen."

"Eleven a.m. tomorrow … at the diner, JR and I will be there. If you want to meet her, that's your chance. It may be your only chance."

"I … thank you, Ms. Marcus."

"Don't thank me yet. What happens is up to JR … and you." Melanie turned on her heel and strode away.

Divina watched her. The first word that came to mind was 'bitch', but she thought about it and decided that maybe 'protective mother' was a better choice.

"I wonder what one wears to meet their granddaughter for the very first time," Danny said to himself.

^^^^^^^^

"Mr. Kinney," a nearly seven foot tall light skinned Afro-American drag queen sporting a platinum blond and fuchsia wig batted her two inch eyelashes at Brian.

"Miss Ass-ets, isn't it?" Brian turned to respond to the 'lady' who towered over him, model thin except for the obvious ass-ets under her costume. She was drowning in enough perfume to made Brian's eyes water.

"Call me, Abunda." The lady held out her well manicured hand which Brian took and held it to his lips. The lady loudly sighed then continued. "Mr. Kinney, we'd like to give you something for being ever so kind and accommodating to all of us."

"Abunda, that's not necessary. You all came here to participate in the fundraiser and you've all done a great job, so far. I'm very grateful. We're going to be a success."

"And that's in part due to all the work you've done. Now we all know how modest you are and that you don't like to be singled out but I must make you COME with me to join the rest of the girls."

Abunda took Brian's arm and with surprising strength practically dragged him closer to the lanes where all the ladies were posing for the photographer.

"Look who I have!" Abunda pronounced proudly and loudly. The ladies ceased their peacocking to flock around Brian who by this time was beginning to sweat.

"Ladies! Ladies! There's no need to give me anything. We're all here to do a job and that job is to raise money for the clinic."

Just then Divina asserted herself into the melee. "My dear Mr. Kinney, we may be pompous queens......." Divina began.

"Speak for yourself, bitch," someone from the back of the crowd muttered loudly and the ladies giggled.

"If I may continue, my dear, gorgeous Mr. Kinney..." Several ladies murmured their agreement. "We know how you hate the spotlight, and that there isn't anything you could possibly want or need. You've been blessed with a beautiful family and wonderful friends; however, we do have something we think you'll approve of. Hunter, will you join us."

Hunter who was standing nearby joined the ladies who by now had all moved in closer to surround Brian. Paul began to discreetly take pictures.

"This is for you, Brian and Hunter." Divina handed a large ornate parchment edged with gold to Brian. Hunter sidled up closer to read over Brian's shoulder. "Please, if you wouldn't mind, would you read it out loud?"

Brian flushed slightly then cleared his throat. "We the undersigned, pledge 10% of our annual income to the Jason Kemp Clinic and Drop-in Center for the next 50 years." The document was signed by each of the ladies in their stage names and given names, then notarized.

Brian and Hunter reread the document, blinked then did a double take.

"Ladies, I don't know what to say," Brian choked out. "This is unbelievable."

"Well, I know what to say, thank you! Thank you all so much!" Hunter exclaimed as they all cheered then each lady came up for a hug and a kiss. Paul and several members of the press who were invited started taking pictures.

Justin, Michael and the rest of the family watched from the snack counter. They realized that this was a very special moment for Hunter and for Brian. Although Brian was doing his damnedest to back away gracefully, the drag queens wouldn't have it. Brian was kissed, hugged, groped and practically fondled to within an inch of his life. Hunter was getting his fair share and found it all amusing. Brian was having a little trouble coping.

"Justin, I think you better go rescue Mount Kinney before he erupts. And from what I can see that eruption looks imminent," Michael advised Justin. Justin giggled then sprinted over to Brian.

"Ladies! I think..." Justin's attempted rescue failed. He found himself equally surrounded by the ladies who were all taller. "Uh, Brian, Bri! A little help here would be nice," Justin pleaded as one queen had her hands buried in Justin's blond locks.

"It's every man for himself, Sunshine!" Brian squealed as he extricated a hand from his crotch.

"Or for fuck's sake!" Debbie groused loudly. "Never send a boy to do a woman's job." Debbie straightened her wig then marched into the madness.

"Back off, bitch! Come out of there, the three of you. These ladies have a rehearsal to concentrate on. They don't need you three to distract them. Divina! Get your girls in line and start throwing some balls. We have a tournament to run!"

Divina started clapping her hands loudly. "All right ladies, back to work!"

Debbie successfully pulled Hunter, Justin and Brian out of the crowd of drag queens. Holding onto an ear she led Brian and Hunter back to the snack counter.

"Ow, ow, Maw! What the fuck are you doing?" Debbie had a firm grip on Brian's ear and he was forced downward. In her other hand, she had Hunter. Justin was following close rubbing his pinched bottom.

"Yeah, Grandma, what are you doing?"

"I'm saving you two assholes from the ladies, now march."

"Yes, ma'am," Brian and Hunter said in unison as they marched to the snack counter and into the arms of their family.