- Text Size +

 

Chapter 14

^^^^^^^^

Day three of Drag Week. Drag Queen bowling for dollars! Each lady was indeed wearing a replica of a 1950's waitress costume. Unbeknownst to anyone except for Brian and his brother, John, during the renovations they had found boxes and boxes of old photographs of the bowling alley in its heyday. The waitresses and pin girls all wore similar costumes. John had used the pictures so that he could get as close to the original design of the building as possible. Brian remembered them and had a costume maker design the ladies' uniforms in keeping with the original style. The uniforms were all the same except for color. They were dyed to order, then tailored for each lady to flatter their considerable talents, ahem. They each sported a banner that advertised their individual sponsor.

The eliminating rounds were that night with the finals the following day, Thursday. The game was straightforward, no pun intended. The antics of each of the participants were the highlight of the evening. By midnight, six queens were eliminated and six queens were left to battle it out on Thursday. Everyone went home happy and very tired. Miss Briana got to stay with her dads for most of the night at the bowling alley. Several grandmothers made an appearance to keep Bree amused. Just before the Kinney-Taylor family decided to call it a night, the ladies commandeered Gus and Bree for a group shot. A great time was had by all.

^^^^^^^^

Danny Devore approached the door of the Liberty Diner. He stopped as he neared it and smoothed the lightweight sweater over his still slim torso. He had spent a good hour deciding what to wear and how he wanted to look. Usually he saved that kind of care for his drag queen persona, but today was just as important in a very different way.

He rubbed his hand over his face. He had shaved carefully earlier. He knew he looked his best, as good as he was going to look for a man in his sixties. He had been able to maintain his drag queen career by taking excellent care of his body. He was much better looking as a man than as Divina, but she was very important. Divina was the one who made the money. She also allowed him to keep his own life private, except that today he might have to reveal more about himself than he cared to.

He let out a weary sigh. That fucking bowling tournament had taken a lot out of him. He had done his best until he had been eliminated. He would have done anything to beat that tall bitch, Abunda, but that hadn't been in the cards. He had given his best effort, but his old bones couldn't compete with the younger and more flexible queens. Danny stood up straight and reached for the door of the diner.

He had deliberately arrived ten minutes early so that he could select a booth and sit facing the door. He wanted to get a look at Melanie and his granddaughter as they walked in. That might tell him how to play the scene. Having staked his claim to a booth would give him a slight advantage over Melanie Marcus.

As soon as he opened the door he cursed silently to himself. Melanie was ensconced in the back booth. She had JR beside her but up against the wall where the child could be kept away from Danny without making it too obvious. Obviously Melanie Marcus wanted the upper hand in their meeting, and she had managed just that. Round one to her.

Danny walked slowly towards the back booth. Melanie looked up and there was a whisper of a smile that crossed her lips as she looked at the impeccably groomed man who approached her. Danny Devore made a much better looking man than he did a woman.

"Hello, Ms Marcus," Danny said extending his hand.

"Hello, Mr. Devore," Melanie replied giving his hand a brief shake. "Would you care to join us? This is my daughter, JR."

"I'd very much like to join you," Danny said as he slid into the booth across from the girl and her mother. "JR is an unusual name for a lovely young lady. What does it stand for?"

JR stared at the man for a moment. "It stands for Jenny Rebecca," she said carefully.

"Lovely … just like you," Danny replied. JR couldn't help but smile. This old guy was full of shit, but it was nice to hear what he was saying.

"What can I get you?" Lacy asked as she walked up to the table.

"Coffee, please," Danny requested.

"Anything else for you ladies?" Lacy said with a smile.

"JR?" Melanie asked.

"Could I have a lemon bar?"

"Well, it's almost lunch time," Melanie said.

"I'll eat my lunch, but I really want a lemon bar."

"Okay," Melanie gave in.

"I'll have a lemon bar too," Danny added before Lacy could walk away. "Would you like one too, Ms Marcus?"

"No, I'll share JR's if I want a bite. Thank you for asking."

Lacy went away to get the coffee and lemon bars.

"How do you know my Mama?" JR asked. She wanted to hear what this man would say.

"Actually, we met last night at the bowling alley," Danny explained thinking that that would be the truth, but would not give away any information that Melanie wasn't prepared to have JR know yet.

"You were at the fundraiser?" JR asked. "I was supposed to go."

"You were?" Danny looked at Melanie. There was accusation in his eyes that he couldn't quite suppress. He could have met JR the day before and maybe under easier circumstances than this. Obviously that hadn't been what Melanie Marcus had wanted. She didn't seem to want to make anything easy for him. "Why didn't you attend the fundraiser?"

Lacy set down Danny's coffee and two plates each one with a lemon bar.

JR liked the way this man talked. Sophisticated, yeah, that was the word. "My Mama said I should stay with Jessica and her family," JR explained as she picked up her lemon bar. "Jessica's my best friend. Mama said there would be a lot of grown up stuff at the bowling alley, and I probably wouldn't like it." She bit into her lemon bar.

"That's too bad. I could have met you last night," Danny said. "Did you have fun with Jessica?"

"Yeah, we played UNO and Monopoly."

"Did you win?"

JR grinned. "I won both."

"Atta girl!" Danny laughed.

"Better than you did at bowling," Melanie said making sure JR knew her grandfather had lost his game.

"Bowling was never my game," Danny said with a wry smile.

"Why did you play if you don't like it?" JR asked innocently.

Melanie opened her mouth to make some excuse. She didn't want Danny getting started about being a drag queen and taking part in the Drag Queen Tournament.

Before she could get anything out, Danny said, "I was taking part in a charity tournament. You would have laughed if you'd seen me." Melanie glared at him.

"Were you funny?" JR asked.

"I certainly hope so. Otherwise it was just plain embarrassing."

JR laughed and nibbled on her lemon bar. Danny took a bite of his, watching the little girl who seemed so bright and interesting.

"When you finish that, we better get going," Melanie said watching her daughter. She didn't particularly like the way Danny was sucking JR in. He was altogether too smooth. It was time for them to get out of there.

"I hope you don't have to leave so soon. I'm enjoying our visit," Danny replied.

"We need to go," Melanie said abruptly.

"But I like talking to my Grandpa," JR stated.

"What? What did you say?" Melanie demanded. She looked daggers at Danny who merely shrugged.

Inwardly he smiled at JR's identification of him. He didn't know how she knew he was her grandfather, but he was happy that it was out in the open … finally.

"I said I like talking to my Grandpa," JR repeated. Danny smiled broadly.

"But, how did you know?" Melanie asked bewildered.

"I heard you and Mommy talking about it last night."

"When … how?"

"I got up to go to the bathroom. It was late and you and Mommy were talking about my grandfather and whether or not I should get to meet him. You are my Grandpa, aren't you?" JR asked looking into Danny's eyes.

Before he could think about it, Danny said, "Yes, sweetheart, I'm your Grandpa, and I'm very pleased to meet you." Danny held out his hand and JR placed her smaller one inside it. They smiled at each other.

Melanie shook her head. Now what was she going to do? "JR, let's go," she said abruptly.

"But, Mama…"

"Now, JR!" Melanie slid out of the booth and stood up. "Come on, now!"

JR reluctantly slid across the seat. She stood up beside her mother. "Goodbye, Grandpa," she said as Melanie grabbed her arm and dragged her out of the diner.

Danny watched them go with tears in his eyes. That just might have been his first and last meeting with his granddaughter.

^^^^^^^^

"Susan, where are you going? You've been out practically every night this week," Craig whined.

"I'm going to the GLC to check on my bids then to the Liberty Bowling Alley. The finals are tonight."

Craig, 'harumphed' then buried his nose in his newspaper. "I don't know why you've decided to surround yourself with a bunch of fucking fags," Craig griped feeling smug.

"Quite frankly, Craig, lately those 'fucking fags' are far better company than you are." Susan touched up her make-up, threw on her coat then slammed her way out of the house.

"I am not going to let him get to me," Susan murmured to herself as she walked to her car.

"Talking to yourself, not a good sign," Molly said startling her step-mother.

"Oh geez! Molly, I didn't see you. Hi, Owen." Molly and Owen gave Susan a peck on the cheek.

"Obviously. We thought we'd come by to visit."

"Well, your dad's home. I'm on my way to the GLC. I made some bids and I wanted to check on them. Then I thought I'd drop in on the tournament. I watched some of it last night. It's hilarious."

"We were thinking of going too. Instead of you driving, why don't you come with us? I placed some bids too." Molly had seen some of the same decorative pots that Susan had.

"I wonder if we're bidding against each other?"

"There's only one way to find out," Owen added then he turned to offer his arms to both ladies. "Ladies, may I have the pleasure of escorting both of you to the festivities." Susan and Molly beamed beautiful smiles at Owen as he helped them into his car and on to the GLC.

Craig had watched the whole exchange from the front windows. He fixed the curtains then went to the refrigerator to get a beer. Taking a few sips, he dumped the rest into the sink, grabbed his coat and car keys then drove to the Bloom Gallery.

When Craig arrived at the gallery, he was pleasantly surprised by the crowd. Aside from some very out and proud patrons, the gallery was filled with most of Pittsburgh's wealthiest and most prominent citizens. There were several politicians, the police commissioner with his wife and many of the local business people that Craig dealt with on a daily basis. He was very impressed.

"Craig Taylor? I'm not used to seeing you other than in the boardroom or on the golf course. It's nice to see you."

"Martin Shoreman! How wonderful to see you. Is your wife with you?"

"She went to the GLC first to check on her bids. And I do believe she has her eye on a Justin Taylor original. You must be very proud. His renditions of the 'Old Masters' are exquisite."

"Um, yes." Craig hadn't seen them but didn't let on.

"Ah, there's my cue. I'm being summoned. We're going to the tournament. See you there?"

"Oh, yes, wouldn't miss it," Craig attempted not to stutter.

"And when the weather warms up, we should get together a foursome."

"That would be great. Have a nice night and it was good to see you again, Martin." Craig extended his hand to shake Martin's.

"Good night, Craig," Martin replied as he shook the proffered hand. Craig watched as Martin Shoreman met up with his wife and a pretty woman that Craig knew to be Martin's daughter who was holding hands with a woman of color. He watched, trying not to let his jaw hit the ground as Martin embraced both young women and they all left together. Craig shook himself out of his stupor then wandered around the gallery. He stopped at the Rage exhibit.

As he flipped through the poster boards, Craig immediately recognized Justin's work. It was raw, graphic and so like his son after the bashing. There were the harsh depictions of the political climate of that time and of Stockwell. And then there was the cover of the wedding issue. No one knew at the time, that that scene would become a self fulfilling prophecy. Rage would marry JT or rather Brian Kinney would marry Justin Taylor.

"Quite unique and daring, aren't they?" a tall stately blond said to Craig.

"Yes, I suppose they are." Craig thought he recognized the woman but he wasn't sure. He couldn't quite place her.

"Have you seen this artist's other work?" Lindsay asked Craig. She knew who the man was and thought it prudent not to push.

"No, I haven't," Craig answered but with a hint of regret in his tone.

"Would you like to?" Lindsay asked gently.

"I think I would."

"Then please follow me." Lindsay took Craig's arm and led him to Justin's end of the gallery. "This is his latest work." Lindsay was about to leave Craig to himself and his thoughts. "If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them if I can."

"Thank you, I do have one. Why?"

"Why? Why what?"

"Why copy something that's been done before?"

"Ah. Yes, I guess you can call them copies. This is a rendition of a Monet and this piece was certainly inspired by Starry Night." Lindsay pointed to the small placard that accompanied each 'master'. The placard contained a photo of the original painting and a brief bio. "But can you see how they have affected our artist? Feel how he feels? I'll leave you now." Lindsay went to tend to other patrons as Craig stood quietly to study the 'Old Masters'.

Craig wasn't sure how long he was standing there when a soft voice caught his attention.

"I've been coming here at least once a week since this show opened. The paintings aren't just beautiful; they also have a calming effect on me. And then of course, there's this one." Jennifer indicated the painting of Brian and Briana sleeping in a field of purple-blue irises near a reflecting pool surrounded by pink pebbles. Father and daughter were so beautiful, the detail so complete that it made you want to reach out to touch the painting. Justin hadn't wanted to include the painting in the show but Brian insisted. It was painted with love. "She's our grandchild, Craig. Our only one until Molly and Owen decide if they're going to have children, and Briana will always be our first grandchild. She's beautiful, smart as a whip and she has a bit of the devil in her."

"Like Justin?"

"Yes, just like Justin." Jennifer wiped away a tear that slipped down her face. "I thought we lost him. We were lucky, we got a second chance. He's stubborn and pig-headed."

"Like me?" Craig said with a lilt in his voice.

"Yes, like you and me. And so God help me, just like Bree. Did you know that Justin almost stopped painting?"

"No. Why would he want to stop painting?"

"He thought that he hurt Bree. He was so wrapped up in painting that he didn't notice Bree had squeezed some paint into her mouth. She was fine, Justin called 911 and they pumped her stomach. It was more in her mouth than anywhere else but Justin felt so guilty that he swore he wasn't going to paint until Bree turned twenty."

"I think I made a similar declaration when I tried to teach Molly how to fish. Remember when she got that hook in her finger? I swore I was going to keep her locked up in her room until she grew up. I didn't think she'd ever forgive me but the next day Molly begged me to take her fishing again."

"And you both had a great time. See the pebbles? Bree and Brian went for a walk and Bree found this." Jennifer pulled the pink pebble out of her pocket. "Briana took it straight to Justin and begged him to allow her to paint. That same day Justin created this." Jennifer pointed at the painting. They both stood quietly as they gazed at the paintings.

"It wasn't all bad, was it, Jenn?"

"No, not all bad. I did love you."

"I loved you too."

"And do you love our children?"

"Yes."

"And Bree?"

"Yes, even though I tried not to."

"She grows on you, doesn't she?"

"Yes, she does. Made my waistline grow too." Craig patted his stomach. "She and Susan like to bake cookies." Jennifer smiled then giggled. She patted her own trim middle. "Lemon bars at the diner."

"Ah." After a while, Craig had to ask. "Do they really love each other?"

"You mean Brian and Justin? Yes, they do. I won't pretend it was easy. When it was bad, it was real bad. But they are committed to each other. And they so love Briana."

"I can understand Justin; he's Briana's father, but Brian? I don't get it."

"Brian loves Justin. Bree is a part of Justin. Brian loves Bree."

"It sounds all so simple when you put it that way."

"Sometimes it is that simple."

"But two men..."

"Two people who are in love and have a family. Like we once were. Just because we stopped loving each other doesn't mean we stopped loving our children." Jennifer kissed her ex-husband on the cheek. "Good night, Craig." Craig nodded then watched her go. He sat on a nearby bench to continue his study of the 'Old Masters'.