- Text Size +

 

Chapter 16

^^^^^^^^

"Ladies and Gentlemen, my name is Hunter Montgomery and along with Karen, my fellow counselor at the Jason Kemp Clinic and Drop-In Center, I'd like to thank you all for joining us here tonight, and for your participation in this week's festivities." The applause was deafening. When it died down to a low roar, Hunter continued.

"I've been told by our accountants that when the tally is finalized, the clinic, this theater and the bowling alley next door will be around for a very long time doing what they were meant to. Providing help and direction to the younger population of our city and making this part of the city viable and healthy. We thank you all. Give yourselves a round of applause!" The applause rose up like a wave.

"Now, without further ado, our 'ladies' have put together a fabulous show to express their gratitude. Ladies!"

Throughout the night, the ladies put on a show that rocked the house. There were renditions of the most popular and latest hits. And of course, there were the tried and true traditional songs that every drag queen, young or old, must sing if they were to be truly called a drag queen. There were 'Lizas' and 'Bettes,' 'Chers,' and 'Babs.' For the finale, the ladies danced in a long line looking like the Rockettes of Radio City. The audience laughed, cried and sang along with each of the ladies. The love in the room was practically palpable. The city of Pittsburgh was out in force to lend its support.

At the end of the show, Divina walked out onto the stage. She patiently and graciously waited for the applause to subside.

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I was asked by my fellow performers to thank you all for the generosity you've shown to the clinic and to all of us. On our behalf, I thank you and add my plea that you will all continue to support the clinic and the good work it's doing for our community.

"I say 'our' because when I was a wee drag queen, I grew up here and had many a misspent night right here on these streets. To see them full of life and not derelict is a wonderful thing. This theater is a masterpiece. The bowling alley reminds me of my youth. With your love and donations they will both benefit our lives for a long time to come.

"With your permission I'd like to introduce my fellow queens of the evening!" Divina stepped to the side as the curtain rose. As she introduced each performer, Brian and Hunter presented the lady with a huge bouquet of her favorite flowers. Brian had done his research. Each lady received a heartfelt ovation and a very gallant kiss on the hand from the master himself. Shandra, the hometown queen, received a standing ovation.

Lastly it was Divina's turn to receive her flowers. Brian handed the flowers to Hunter. It was Hunter who wanted to give the flowers and his special thanks to his new grandfather. Just before the curtain came down, Divina made one last announcement.

"Ladies and Gentleman, and citizens of Pittsburgh, we thank you again for your contributions and hope you are able to join us for the closing ceremony and gala at Babylon tomorrow night. I want to express my thanks to Hunter Montgomery and to Brian Kinney who were instrumental in making this fundraiser a success and if I may..."

Divina hesitated then mustered up her courage. "This will be Divina's last performance. It's time to retire and let the next generation of drag queens take my place. I love you all!" Divina shouted out, blowing kisses in true dramatic style. Then she whipped off her wig and tossed it to Debbie who was sitting in the first row. Danny took a bow and the curtain came down.

The audience refused to let the ladies go just yet, so the curtain came back up as the ladies were lined up with their flowers in hand. They all waved and blew more kisses to the audience as Hunter and Brian stood in the wings and watched. Abunda broke ranks then used her considerable strength to 'convince' Brian and Hunter to join them on stage. The audience was up on their feet as each queen took out two flowers from their bouquets to give one each to Brian and Hunter. There was not a dry eye in the whole theater that night.

^^^^^^^^

Gus, his mothers and JR waited in the theater as people began to stream out. JR had insisted that she wanted to go to the show. Lindsay had backed her up and finally Melanie had given in.

"I'm going to go backstage and find Pop," Gus said.

"Can I come with you?" JR asked.

"We really should be heading home," Melanie said.

"It's Friday, Mama, and I don't have school tomorrow. Please," JR begged.

Melanie looked at Lindsay who merely shrugged. "Okay, okay," Melanie gave in. "Let's all go find Brian and Hunter and tell them what a good job they did."

"And Grandpa," JR added.

Melanie rolled her eyes but she followed the others to the door at the side of the stage.

"Hey, Pop, the show was great," Gus said as he gave his father a hug.

"I thought so too," Justin said as he smiled at Gus.

"Where's Hunter?" Gus wanted to know. "I wanted to tell him what a great emcee he made."

"He'll be pleased to hear that. I could hear his knees knocking all the way across the stage," Brian laughed. "I think he's back in the dressing room thanking the queens and giving them tomorrow's schedule."

"Is my Grandpa back there?" JR asked.

Brian was about to answer when Divina, or Danny, since he had shed his lavender gown, appeared in the wings. "Divina Devore is officially in retirement," he said as he walked up to the group.

"You were really good, Grandpa," JR said as she ran over to him and wrapped her arms around his waist in a big hug.

Melanie couldn't help the look of anger and concern that crossed her face. She couldn't believe things had gotten so out of hand.

"That's the best review Divina's ever had," Danny laughed as he hugged his granddaughter. "I'm so glad you're here, my dear."

"I'm glad too, Grandpa. I liked your act."

Danny laughed. "I hope I didn't scare you. Now that Divina's retired, you'll only see me like this." He swooped his hand down his side indicating his civvies.

"I like you either way," JR said softly.

Danny felt tears well up. This little girl was his granddaughter, a beautiful child, whose early life he had completely missed. That would not continue, he resolved to himself, as he gave her another warm hug.

Melanie cleared her throat. "Come, JR, it's time you were home in bed."

"Okay," JR replied, happy that she had had this moment with her grandfather. "Come see me, Grandpa?" she asked innocently.

"Count on it," Danny said as he hugged her goodbye.

Melanie gave him a look as she took JR's hand and pulled her away. Lindsay looked at Brian who nodded his approval that JR had had her meeting with her grandfather. Lindsay understood that his approval was as close to a thank you as she was likely to get.

"Pop, thanks," Gus said to Brian.

"For what? I'm glad to have helped to support this old mausoleum," Brian said waving his arm to indicate the old theater. He didn't want anyone to know about his part in the reunion of JR and her grandfather.

"Yeah, right, thanks, Pop," Gus replied with a wink to his father.

Brian smiled as he reached for Justin. "Time to go home so you can thank me properly, Sunshine."

Justin laughed. "I'd be only too happy to do that."

"Let's go," Brian replied.

"Brian," Danny called before Brian and Justin could walk away.

"I wanted to thank you too … for bringing me here, even if it was somewhat inadvertently. It's given me a chance to have a different life … and a family."

"Everyone deserves a family," Brian said softly.

"Yes, they do," Danny agreed as the two men looked into each other's eyes. They each understood that a person appreciated a family so much more when they had been deprived of one at some point in their lives.

"Oh, and I meant to tell you, young man," Danny said to Justin, "that you have a lovely mother. She's helping me find a place here in Pittsburgh."

"You intend to set up residence here?" Justin asked somewhat surprised. Pittsburgh wasn't exactly the retirement destination of choice for old queens. More likely Palm Beach or Key West.

"It's where my family is," Danny replied with a smile.

"Of course," Justin agreed.

"Night, Pop," Gus called as he and JR left with the moms.

"See you tomorrow night," Brian called to his son.

Hunter hurried up before Brian and Justin could get away. "Brian, I think we're all set for tomorrow."

"Good work, kid. By the way, you did good tonight."

"Did I?" Hunter asked. Brian nodded. "I was scared shitless being up on that stage."

"No one would have ever known," Justin contributed trying to put Hunter at ease.

"Wow, a compliment from Blondie," Hunter joked. "Are you mellowing in your old age?"

"Why do I even try?" Justin sighed and shook his head.

Hunter laughed. "Thanks, guys. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Now, where were we?" Brian asked.

"I think I promised something about thanking you properly."

"That's right," Brian replied with a waggle of his eyebrows. "Let's get out of here before we get intercepted again." He threw his arm around Justin's shoulders and they made a hasty retreat.

Outside the theater Melanie, Lindsay, Gus and JR were climbing into their car as Lacy and her father walked by.

"So, what did you think of the drag queens, Dad?" Lacy asked. She took a surreptitious look at him.

"Um … interesting," he replied.

"Just interesting?"

"I have to admit, they're not my cup of tea, but they were entertaining," Roman admitted.

"Yeah, they can be fun. That Divina Devore is real old. I think it's about time she retired," Lacy chuckled.

"I guess we all reach the point where it's time to hang them up."

"You … you're not thinking of retiring, are you?" Lacy asked. Her father was still young.

"God, no, but when you see someone reach the end of their career like that, it makes you think."

"I suppose," Lacy said, but she knew such thoughts were pretty foreign to her. She had barely started any kind of professional life. She walked along in silence for a bit.

"A penny for your thoughts," her father said after a while.

"There's some things I need to tell you."

"So, shoot," Mr. Baldwin said cheerfully.

Lacy realized he had no idea what was coming. "It's kind of complicated."

"There's the car," Roman said. "We could talk there or we could go into that little café for dessert and coffee.

Lacy waffled. She thought it might be good if there were people around like in the café. If her father blew his stack, that might temper it a little bit. On the other hand, if there was a scene, the car would be more private. "It's cold," Lacy said. "Let's go get some coffee."

They made their way into the café and placed their orders. She made sure they took a table in a back corner where they could have some privacy.

"This is delicious," Roman said as he dug into his cheesecake.

"Yeah," Lacy agreed as she picked at her dessert.

"What did you want to tell me?" he asked taking a big drink of the hot coffee. "This was a good idea."

Lacy thought that he might change his mind about that when he heard what she was about to tell him. "I guess I could start with the good stuff."

"I like the sound of that," her father laughed. "Good stuff is always … good."

Lacy smiled at his attempt at a joke. "I got into PIFA."

"You did? Oh honey, that's great." He reached across and squeezed her hand. "And you're going to let me help you with your tuition."

Lacy nodded. "I realize that I need help. I can't do it all by myself."

"I want to help. I'm so proud of you."

"You may not be, after I tell you the bad stuff," Lacy said slowly.

"Bad stuff's … not so good," Roman laughed trying again to make a joke. The look on Lacy's face told him he wasn't going to like hearing what she had to say. "Go ahead, honey," he said bracing himself.

"I'm going to tell you about my life after I ran away from home. I want you to listen to it all before you say anything. I hope you'll still love me after I get through."

"Of course, I will," he said trying to reassure her.

"You don't know that," Lacy replied. She drew in a deep breath. "Okay, here goes. I lived on the streets when I got to Pittsburgh. I used up all the money I had pretty quickly. I met a gang of hustlers who took me in and let me stay with them. They shared any money and accommodations that they could find."

Roman made a face but tried to look sympathetic. He wanted to ask why she didn't just come back home, and then he remembered her abusive boyfriend and his own disregard of her situation. He nodded for her to continue.

"I wore jeans and T-shirts and had my hair cut really short. You remember?" Her father nodded. "After a day or two I realized the guys thought I was a boy. I let them think I was."

Roman's eyebrows shot up. He wondered what this meant. Maybe these hustlers had raped his daughter. He felt his temper rise.

"I needed to contribute to the finances of the group, so I started hustling too," Lacy admitted feeling the color rise in her cheeks. No child should have to tell their parent that they were hustling.

"But, if they thought you were a boy…?" he asked bewildered.

"They were gay hustlers. They went with men, Dad," she explained.

"And you…?"

"I went with men too. I gave them blowjobs and I let them fuck me up the ass!" she said deciding not to beat around the bush. She almost chuckled to herself at the double entendre she heard in her own head, but she knew her father wouldn't find it funny.

"Lucinda!" her father said ominously. His face had gone white.

"You said you'd wait until I told you everything," she reminded him.

"There's more?"

"Yes," she said softly.

"Then tell me," he said dreading what else she might reveal. His daughter had given herself to men who wanted gay boys … for money. He felt like his head was going to explode. He's never had anal sex in his whole life, and his daughter was still a teenager, his baby. It was incomprehensible.

"I hustled until Hunter found me," Lacy said.

"Hunter, the young man who was up on the stage tonight?"

"That's the one."

"He seemed so young to be running the clinic."

"Hunter was a hustler too. He turned his life around."

"He was?" Roman asked. What had his daughter got herself into? Were all her friends hustlers? Those people on the stage must all be depraved too. He wondered if being a hustler led to living life as a drag queen as he had seen tonight. It was so weird and scary and … awful. What kind of people were these friends and supporters of Lacy's? What had her life become? He had so much to learn about her. He suddenly felt very overwhelmed.

"There's one more thing, Dad."

"Okay, yeah, what is it?" It couldn't be any worse than what he had already heard.

"I'm gay," she said softly afraid of his reaction.

"Oh, my God, Lacy. Are you sure, or did your experiences on the street screw you up?" That had to be the answer.

"Dad, I'm sure."

"But…"

"I'm sorry if I've disappointed you."

"No, no, no," he said slowly as he stood up.

She wondered if he was saying "no" she hadn't disappointed him, or "no" he refused to believe what she had done, or "no" he didn't believe what she was.

"Let's get out of here," Lacy said as she stood too. She was afraid her father was going to lose it completely.

They quickly made their way to Roman's car.

"I can catch a bus," Lacy said feeling like her father was drawing away and didn't want her around.

"Don't be ridiculous!" Roman told her. "Get in and I'll take you home."

Lacy got into the passenger side. Her father started the car and they drove in silence to Debbie's.

"Will you come to Babylon tomorrow night?" she asked as they pulled up at Debbie's.

"I … I don't know. What's Babylon?"

"It's a gay dance club. They're having the finale of the fundraiser for the clinic there."

"Gay dance club?" Roman muttered. "I don't know."

"Call me tomorrow if you want to go," Lacy said with disappointment in her voice. She climbed out of the car. "Dad?"

"I don't know, Lacy. I just don't know."

He drove away leaving Lacy standing on the sidewalk wondering if she would ever see him again.