- Text Size +

 

Chapter 18

^^^^^^^^

Epilogue

Friday April 8, 2016

Life was slowly returning to normal in the land of Liberty. Justin's 'Old Masters' were packed and ready to be shipped off to New York and as promised would be shown at Kyle's gallery. Brian was back into full time adman mode barking out his orders and thoroughly enjoying it. He and Justin planned an extended weekend in New York with Bree for the opening of the 'Old Masters' and to stir up trouble at N'rgy, (just because Brian could. Stacey had been forewarned.)

Michael didn't officially offer a job to Danny but at Hunter's insistence, Danny would show up at the store several mornings during the week. He worked the counter as Michael inventoried his stock, placed his orders and schmoozed with his customers. Michael was pleasantly surprised at Danny's extensive knowledge of comic books. Danny was having a ball spending time with Michael. Danny also put in a few hours at the clinic.

Brian and Justin decided to take Briana out to Papagano's for an early birthday dinner. The family decided to join them. Decked out in their finest, Brian, Justin and Briana Victoria Kinney-Taylor walked into Papagano's like the Queen and her court making a royal visit to a colony.

"Ah, Mr. Brian, Mr. Justin, and the lovely Miss Briana! Your table is ready and your family here. Please, please come with me," Alberto gushed over them, taking their coats and escorting them to their party. Everyone was there including Patrick who was seated next to Bree as she was seated at the head of the table. The little princess beamed like she was holding court. Even Danny was invited. He felt a little out of place but Debbie had insisted so he sat near her, Carl, Hunter and Nick. The 'Munchers' with Gus and JR were also in attendance. JR sat close to her grandfather. Brian and Justin gazed at the family; it was growing.

As the biggest pink cake Papagano's had ever seen was wheeling its way over to the Kinney-Taylor table another couple came into the restaurant. The waiters, Alberto and the family all sang Happy Birthday to Bree.

"Squirt, make a wish then blow out the candles," Brian instructed Bree. Taking a big breath, Bree blew out her candles to the family's applause. Emmett, who had supplied the cake, was up and expertly slicing it. The waiters distributed the cake to the family. Emmett presented the center slice that held a large pink icing rose on it to Bree.

"Oh thank you, Auntie Emm!" The little girl gushed then gave Emm a big kiss. She then whispered something into her Auntie Emm's ear. Emmett sliced up two more pieces of cake to plate.

"Dada!"

"Yes, Squirt."

"Down, please." Brian arched an eyebrow but helped Bree down out of her booster seat. Briana turned to her daddy.

"Daddy, can you help me?" Justin looked at Brian who merely shrugged but watched as Bree put a plate of cake in Justin's hand with care. Then she carefully picked up the remaining plate of cake. "Come, Daddy."

All eyes were on the tot as Justin followed Bree over to a nearby table.

"Gamma Susan, for you!" Bree indicated that Justin should give the cake he was holding to Susan.

"Thank you, Bree! Happy Birthday, your cake looks yummy," Susan beamed at Briana.

"Auntie Emm makes the bestest cakes!" Bree informed Susan. "This is for you, Gampa." Bree held out the dessert plate of pink layer cake to Craig. Justin held his breath, as did the whole family waiting to see what Craig Taylor was going to do. Brian thought his heart was going to explode. Craig took the plate out of the little girl's hands and set it in front of him. He stood up from his chair then squatted in front of the child.

"Happy Birthday, sweetheart," Craig said softly as he gave his granddaughter a hug and a peck on the cheek. "Thank you for the cake."

"You're welcome," Bree said. Craig stood as Justin picked up Bree to return to their table. "And, I, um, we'd like you to visit when you're in town."

"Bake cookies?" Bree asked with her sunniest smile.

"Yes, we can bake cookies," Craig smiled back then gently caressed her fine strawberry blond hair. Craig's hand slowly made its way to Justin's fine locks as Bree said, "Good!"

"Good," Craig whispered as his hand gently caressed his son's hair. Father and son smiled at each other for the first time in years. Brian and the family began to breathe again as Justin and Bree rejoined the family to eat cake.

^^^^^^^^

Lacy lay on her bed in her room at Debbie's. It had been a few weeks since the finale of Drag Queen Week. She had heard nothing from her father. It still hurt every time she thought about standing outside Babylon waiting for him. She remembered how her heart had leaped at each new car that pulled up. She kept expecting, no, that wasn't the right word, hoping that it would be him. But he hadn't come.

She turned on her side and stared at the curtains that covered the window. It was the hoping that hurt so much. All those months on the street had taught her not to hope. Resignation, it had become a way of life for her. She was a hustler. She did what hustlers do. She didn't think beyond the money she would get for each encounter. It provided her with food and sometimes a place to stay. That was all she needed as long as she didn't hope for anything more.

And then her father had returned. He had taught her to hope all over again. He had encouraged her to hope, to want things, to expect that she could rely on him. And when she had finally learned to hope once more, he abandoned her, left her with only herself to rely on once again. She didn't understand why he had done that to her.

"Lacy, come down and have some ice cream with me?" Debbie asked as she stuck her head into Lacy's room.

"I'm not hungry," Lacy replied.

"You need to do something other than stay in this room and mope."

"I'm not moping, just thinking."

"They look like the same thing to me," Debbie observed as she came into the room and sat on the edge of Lacy's bed. "You are going to PIFA and you're going to be a big, fat, fucking success. Don't you forget that, young lady."

Lacy had to smile. Debbie always made her feel like she could do anything. "Why couldn't he have come to the finale?" she asked.

"Why do people do anything? They can't handle the situation so they run. Your father, maybe he just needed some time to digest what you told him."

"Weeks? He could have called. I haven't heard anything from him at all."

"I know it hurts, honey," Debbie said taking Lacy's hand. "But you can still go to PIFA without him. We'll all make sure that happens."

"It's not even about PIFA," Lacy sighed. "It's about him wanting to be back in my life, and when I let him…" She couldn't finish that statement. Her throat felt like it was strangling.

"I know, he let you down."

Lacy nodded. "I wish he hadn't found me at all."

"That's not true," Debbie said gently. "The fact that he came to find you proved that he loves you."

"But not enough…"

Debbie put her finger on Lacy's lips. "He's a man. He's weak like all men."

"Debbie?" Lacy asked with a little smile.

"They think they're so strong, but they can't handle half of what we women handle. You'll be fine with or without him."

"Looks like it's without him," Lacy said with a shake of her head.

"You'll be fine."

"I know. It just … hurts."

"How about some of that ice cream?" Debbie asked again.

"Okay," Lacy said. "Maybe it will drown my sorrows."

"Ice cream's good for that," Debbie smiled.

"I wish…"

"Wish what?"

"I wish you had Cherry Garcia," Lacy chuckled.

"I do!"

"Then let's go."

"That's my girl."

They headed downstairs.

^^^^^^^^

"Clinic," Hunter answered the phone.

"Jimmy, is that you?"

"It's..." Hunter hesitated in shock.

"Jimmy, it's mom...."

TBC

The End.
SabinaThymeSunshine is the author of 78 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Oh My Papa also liked 605 other stories.
This story is part of the series, The Sunshine Files . The previous story in the series is New York, New York - It Ain't The Pitts. The next story in the series is Out Of The Mouths Of Babes.