- Text Size +

 

Chapter 3

^^^^^^^^

"Deborah Jane!" Danny called out as Debbie entered the restaurant. Debbie wound her way through the maze of tables to Danny.

"Danny," Debbie said as she gave the first love of her life one of her infamous bear hugs.

"Jesus, woman, you're as strong as ever," Danny cried as he fought for breath.

"Comes with lifting heavy trays for a living. You're not chopped liver, yourself."

"Sure I am; the heaviest thing I lift is an eyebrow pencil. Let's sit down." Danny genteelly held Debbie's chair. Their waiter came over to take their orders. Debbie went on the offensive as they waited for the first course to arrive.

"Danny, I thought we agreed that..."

Danny held up his hand to stop Debbie from finishing the sentence. "I agreed not to say anything to Michael that would jeopardize his truth and I kept my end of the bargain. But now you have JR and she is my granddaughter too. Can you understand how I feel, Deb? I'm an aging drag queen. You, Michael and JR are the only family I have."

"You mean, the only family here in Pittsburgh."

"No, Debbie, my only family anywhere."

"You never..."

"So many men, too little time and no women besides you. I've been on the road for most of my adult life. So you see, my dear, Michael and JR are my only family."

"He'll kill me."

"Then why don't you talk to JR's mother."

"She'll kill me!"

"I don't believe that. And you can be very convincing when you want to be. Convinced me I was straight for a night."

"Yes, but that was a long time ago and I was a blond then."

The waiter brought the meals and they ate in silence.

"Danny, do you have to do this right away?"

"No, I'd rather wait until after the fundraiser. I don't want to do anything that might interfere with its success."

"Okay. I'll talk to JR's mother but, Danny, don't get your hopes up. Melanie is a good woman but sometimes she's not very nice. And one more thing..."

"What's that?"

"You said Brian called your agent to request that you not show up."

"Yes."

"Then I suggest before you do anything, you clear things with Brian first."

"Why?"

"He's a very powerful man in the Pitts. He doesn't take too kindly to people that fuck with him."

"Why would it make any difference to Brian that I'm here?"

"Because he's Michael's best friend and Brian has always protected Michael even when Michael doesn't need protecting."

"Are they, you know."

"No, they're not, never. But they love each other, ever since they were fifteen. Danny, Brian has the means to make life miserable for you. Go and see him, please. For me. Then we can tackle everything else."

"Okay, Debbie, if it'll make you happy. Divina shall make time for a special audience with this Brian."

"Thank you, Danny. I just hope we both don't regret it."

^^^^^^^^

"Divina Devore to see Mr. Brian Kinney." Divina whisked her way into Kinnetik with all the flare and pomp of a drag queen. She was dressed in a bright pink suit, faux fur coat, hat and satin gloves. Think Martha Stewart on steroids with a touch of Cher and sporting Barbara Bush pearls!

Cynthia announced her arrival. "Um, Brian, a Ms. Divina Devore to see you." Cynthia looked at her boss and mouthed, 'I'm sorry.'

Brian nodded as he rose to greet his guest. Brian was wearing one of his favorite Armani suits that fit him like a glove. Tall, elegant, sleek and...

"Holy shit! You're HOT!" Divina exclaimed loudly as she extended a gloved hand toward Brian.

With an arch of his brow, Brian bent slightly at the waist, took the proffered hand and brought it to his lips.

"And a real gentleman to boot! Be still my heart," Divina cooed as she fanned herself.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, Ms. Devore?" Brian asked in a low sensual tone as he indicated for Divina to have a seat.

"It was suggested by a mutual acquaintance that I seek an audience with you. This acquaintance thought it best that I clear up any misunderstandings or misgivings you may have regarding my appearance in Pittsburgh. I don't wish you to harbor any ill feelings toward me."

"And why would I, Ms. Devore?"

"Because those who don't know the truth may think that I'm here to upset the status quo and that's the last thing I want to do. May I speak frankly?"

"Please do."

"Brian, may I call you Brian?" Brian nodded his consent. "My alter ego is not getting any younger. I have no living family other than the gift that someone had given me so long ago. That gift has grown into a fine man who adopted a kid off the streets and has become a father to a beautiful little girl. Danny doesn't want to interfere but perhaps with your permission and help, Divina would be allowed to become Aunt Divina. With the privileges that go with the title. Do you understand what I'm saying, Brian?"

"Yes, I do but I don't understand why you're coming to me."

"Our mutual acquaintance holds your opinion in high esteem. Let's just say that she warned me not to fuck with you, her words."

A smirk began to splay on Brian's face. "This mutual acquaintance wouldn't happen to be a short loud red-headed waitress?"

"The very same. She loves you, Brian, almost as much as she loves her own son. She knows you only want the best for him and his family. I do too. I promised that I would get permission from the mother, who I understand is rather formidable in her own right."

"That's an understatement."

"I also promised not to do anything until after the fundraiser. No need for negative publicity if it goes badly for me, for Danny, I mean. And quite honestly, I'm much more resilient than Danny. I'm good at performing; I suspect you are too." Divina gave Brian a wink. Brian smiled at the double entendre.

They were interrupted by Cynthia walking in. "Excuse me, Brian, your three o'clock is here."

"Take him into the conference room. I'll join you in a moment." Cynthia nodded then left.

"I've taken up enough of your time and you've been nothing if not a complete gentleman. I won't hurt your family, Brian. You have Divina's word on that." Divina offered her hand as they both rose from their seats. Brian again brought the hand to his lips. As Divina was about to leave, she turned. "Tell me, Sugar, have you ever considered a career on the stage?" Brian shrugged then shook his head no. "Too bad, they'd come from the four corners of the world to see you. I'll be in touch." With a rustle of her skirts, Divina Devore left the building.

^^^^^^^^

"Hey, Sunshine," Brian called as he walked in the door of the cottage.

"In the kitchen," Justin replied.

"Dada, dada!" Bree yelled as she barreled in from the sun porch.

"Hey, Squirt, are you glad to see me?" Brian asked as he scooped her up into his arms and kissed all over her face.

She giggled and said, "Yes, Dada. Missed you."

"I missed you too, Squirt."

"Hi, Uncle Bri," Patrick said coming in from the sun porch too. "You coming back, Bree?" he asked.

"We play doctor," Bree said shimmying down her father's side.

"Doctor?" Brian asked with a raised eyebrow.

Justin looked at his husband and couldn't help but smile at Brian's reaction. Brian was so protective of Bree.

"We doctors," Bree stated. "Muñequita and Bunny are sick."

"Yeah," Patrick said. Bree took his hand and they ran back out into the sun porch.

"I thought…" Brian began.

"I know. I did too when I first realized what they were doing," Justin laughed as he threw together the chicken and vegetables that were going into the oven.

"So Bunny and Muñequita are sick?"

"Apparently."

"Hm," Brian said thoughtfully starting to relax a little bit.

Justin watched Brian for a moment. Then he went to the fridge and took out a beer. "You look like you could use this … or something stronger."

"This'll do for now," Brian replied as he loosened his tie and sat down at the kitchen table.

"Is something wrong?" Justin asked as he shoved dinner into the oven.

"I don't know … yet."

"What does that mean?"

"I had a visitor today."

"Oh? Who was that?" Justin wanted to know.

"A Miss Divina Devore."

"Divina Devore? Isn't she the drag queen who appeared at Babylon a long time ago?"

"The very same."

"But … why was she visiting you? Is there something you need to tell me about an attraction to elderly drag queens?" Justin said stifling a giggle.

"Christ! No! She's here to perform in the fundraiser for the clinic."

"Oh, so she was checking in with you?"

"I asked her not to come at all," Brian said softly.

"And why's that? I would think you would want all the performers you could get."

"She … you don't know, but… She… Oh fuck! I don't know how to explain this," Brian muttered.

Justin slid into the seat across the table from Brian. "I think you better find a way to explain it. You're starting to scare me."

"I … Divina Devore is really Danny Devore," Brian said fumbling for a way to explain without really revealing everything.

"Yeah, I get that drag queens are really men. So?"

"She … He… He's Michael's father," Brian said deciding that it was all going to come out anyway. He could never keep anything from Justin. Well, hardly anything.

"Michael's father?!! Holy shit! How long have you known this?"

"Since Divina's last appearance in the Pitts," Brian said taking a long suck on his bottle of beer.

"And you never told me?" Justin asked feeling his temper rise.

"It never seemed relevant to anything," Brian said defensively.

"Brian, I thought we shared … everything."

"No two people share everything," Brian stated.

"Well, that's a comforting thought," Justin said sarcastically. "I've been living in delusion all these years."

"Justin, there are some things that need to be private. When Michael told me, I promised never to tell anyone else. I just broke that promise for you."

"That's something, I guess," Justin said softening and placing his hand over Brian's where it rested on the table. "What are you worried about?"

Brian let out a sigh. "Not only is Divina Devore here for the fucking fundraiser … against my direct wishes. But she wants to get involved with Michael … and his granddaughter."

"His granddaughter? Oh fuck! JR."

Brian nodded. "He's going to speak to Michael and Melanie about making contact with JR. At least I got him to promise to go that route before he confronted the child."

"This could be a real mess. Mel is never going to…"

"I know, I know," Brian said shaking his head. "But Danny insists that he wants to do this. He's not getting any younger and this is his only family."

"What are you going to do?"

"I'm torn between warning Michael and Melanie, or staying the fuck out of it."

"I opt for number two," Justin said.

"You think I should just keep my mouth shut and let them all be blindsided?" Brian asked.

"Does Debbie know that Danny's here … and what he wants to do?"

Brian nodded. "He had lunch with her the other day."

"Then Michael and Melanie can hear it from her."

"Ya think?"

"That's how I would handle it. Let the family deal with it."

"But I don't want JR to get hurt," Brian whispered.

"Neither do I, but it's not really your problem, and you already tried to stop Danny."

"I guess," Brian said thoughtfully, but he still worried that disaster was about to strike his best friend and his whole family.

^^^^^^^^

Lacy was just finishing up her shift at the diner. The last of the dinner crowd were eating their meals and she would be off in fifteen minutes. She grabbed the coffee pot and started to make the rounds of the tables refilling cups and gathering empty dishes.

Her back was to the door of the diner as she filled a coffee cup. The sound of the bell registered, but she hoped Alice, the new waitress, would take the latest customers. She was tired and she just wanted to go home. She had a lot to think about with what Hunter had told her and the consequences of her picture being in the newspaper.

"Lucinda?" a voice said from behind her.

Lacy froze. She knew that voice … but it couldn't be.

"Lucinda!" the name was repeated.

She whirled around sloshing some of the hot coffee over her fingers. She didn't even feel it, however. "What the fuck are you doing here?" she demanded of the man who stood just inside the door of the diner.

"Lucinda, I've looked for you for so long. I need to talk to you … to explain."

"There's nothing to explain," Lacy said straightening her back and trying to stop the coffee pot from shaking in her hand.

"Please, I need…"

"I don't care what you need," Lacy almost yelled. She was fighting back the tears that threatened to engulf her. "Get out of here!"

"Please, Lucinda…"

"Go away! Just go away and leave me alone," Lacy pleaded. She hated the sound of weakness and fear in her voice.

"I can't go away. I need to talk to you."

"If you won't leave, I will," Lacy stated. She slammed the coffee pot down on the counter and whipped off her apron. "Alice, take care of my customers. I'm leaving." She turned around and ran through the door that led to the kitchen and the break room. She shoved the back door open and ran down the alley and then just kept on running as fast and as far from that man in the diner as she could.