- Text Size +

 

Chapter 6

^^^^^^^^

Lacy walked out of the diner with Tony, the cook. It was ten in the morning and they both were tired, having worked all night. They were heading home to sleep and then report for the dinner shift that night.

"See you tonight, kid," Tony said as he headed off down the sidewalk.

Lacy was going in the opposite direction as she headed back to Debbie's. She was tired but happy to think that her father had not appeared again. She hoped he had gone back home to his fucking life, and would be leaving her to get on with hers, which had been surprisingly good until he had arrived on the scene.

She was about halfway to Debbie's when he stepped out from behind a large tree.

"Lucinda," he said making his best attempt not to frighten her.

Lacy stopped in her tracks. She debated running past him and escaping into the safety of Debbie's house. Maybe Carl would be home. He would protect her. But she wasn't sure she could get past the man who stood in front of her.

"What do you want?" Lacy asked using her best diner glare on the man.

"I'm your father, Lucinda. I want to talk to you."

"We have nothing to say to each other." She used the same words she had told him in the diner. "Why don't you just go away and leave me alone?"

"Lucinda," he pleaded.

"Lucinda is dead. I'm somebody else now. I don't need you anymore. I want you to leave me alone." Lacy stood straight and decided she could get past her father. She walked boldly towards him and then stepped around the part of the sidewalk he occupied. She almost thought she had been successful as she passed the man.

Suddenly his hand shot out and grabbed her wrist.

"Let me go," she yelled struggling to break his grip.

Surprisingly he released her and stepped back raising his hands to show that he wouldn't touch her again. "I just want to talk."

"Why, after all this time?" she asked, needing to know what had brought him after her. Why couldn't he have come when she first ran away?

"That's what I want to talk to you about," he said softly. "Can we go get some coffee or something? It's cold out here and I've been waiting for you for hours."

"How did you know how to find me?" Lacy asked trying not to feel scared.

"I admit I've been following you ever since I found you at that diner."

"Shit!" she reacted.

"Please, just coffee, that's all I ask. Please, Lucinda."

She looked at him, deep into his eyes. She saw pain and unhappiness there, much like her eyes had looked for such a long time. She nodded and started across the street. She knew there was a Starbucks not far away. That would do for their brief chat, and it would be brief, she had already decided.

Seated in Starbucks with their coffees, Lacy looked at her father. He seemed older without the hat that had covered his hair. She could see more gray among the brown. He had aged since she had last seen him.

"Did you find me from the picture in the newspaper?" she asked as she sipped her latte.

He nodded. "I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw that picture. I thought you…" He couldn't finish that statement.

"Well, I'm not dead," she said for him. "I survived."

"Why did you run away?"

She stared at him. How could he be so dense? "You would know if you had paid the least bit of attention to me back then."

"I'm sorry, Lucinda. It was a bad time for all of us."

"You don't know the half of it," she said bitterly.

"Tell me."

She shook her head. This was not the place for that. She didn't want to open all the old wounds. "Where's Mom?" she asked.

He started at the mention of her mother. "She … she's gone."

"Gone? What do you mean gone?"

"She left me. Ran off with that guy she was having the affair with. I haven't seen or heard of her in over a year," he said shaking his head.

"Are you divorced?" Lacy asked trying to get her mind around the fact that her mother had somehow disappeared.

"Yes, I filed for divorce a few months ago."

"But why…?"

"We were very unhappy, as you know. I was having an affair too. She felt I didn't have time for her, so she went and found a new life for herself. I guess that's what you did too."

"I guess so," Lacy said sadly.

"We were both messed up … too much booze and drugs and fucking around."

"I know. Neither one of you had time for me."

"I'm so sorry, Lucinda. I never meant for things to turn out the way they did. I was making a lot of money and it led me to do things I'm not proud of. I destroyed our family."

Lacy looked at her father. She had accused her father of doing that for years … in her own mind. But it was very strange to finally hear her father say that out loud. She felt tears well up at the thought of what they had had and what was lost and what didn't have to have been wasted. "I have to go," Lacy said suddenly.

"No, wait," her father begged. "I want you to come home."

"I have a home … here. I'm not going anywhere."

"Lucinda, I'm sorry. I want you back. I want a family. I'm sorry I messed it all up."

"I can't do this. I have to think," she blurted out before she ran out of the Starbucks. He didn't try to follow her, not yet.

^^^^^^^^

The fundraiser for the clinic was set to start mid-March, running for an entire week. The opening ceremony would take place at the GLC on Monday with a meet and greet of the Drag Queens. On Tuesday, the GLC would host an arts and crafts show. Some of the higher quality art work would be auctioned off later in the week via a silent auction at the Sidney Bloom Gallery. It would include one or two Justin Taylor originals.

A Drag Queen bowling tournament was planned for Wednesday and Thursday at the Liberty Bowling Alley. Members of the community were welcomed and encouraged to sponsor their favorite drag queen. The winning queen and sponsor would later be treated to a night out on the town.

On Friday, the Liberty Theater would host a review with performances given by each Queen. The winners of the silent auction would also be announced that night. Saturday night, Babylon would host the closing ceremony and gala.

For an event this size, Brian and Hunter decided to form a committee which included key members of the community, the deputy mayor of Pittsburgh, a rep from a security firm and a representative of the 'talent' that was set to perform. Since Divina came from Pittsburgh and Shanda Leer declined the post, it was decided that Divina would represent the drag queens. The meetings were held at Kinnetik, which was handling the promotion.

It was after one such meeting that Brian approached Hunter, steering the younger man into his office.

"The Master of Social Work, you handled yourself well in there."

"If I did, then I owe it all to you. I've been watching the way you handle yourself for years. I picked up a trick or two."

"I bet you have." Brian hesitated for a moment then faced Hunter. "Hunter, I need to know why you've gotten chummy with Danny all of a sudden. Do you know what you're doing?"

"Yes, I'm making friends with a respected member of the community. Someone who is willing to invest in the clinic. And..."

"And what?" Brian moved closer to the younger man, placing his hand on Hunter's shoulder.

"Brian, I know about Danny and he doesn't want to hurt anyone. He just wants to get to know his family. And I've always wanted a grandfather." Hunter looked up into Brian's eyes. "I'd really like to have a grandfather."

Brian drew Hunter into a warm hug. He felt the younger man's breathing hitch several times. Brian gently caressed Hunter's hair, slightly rocking him as if Hunter were Bree.

"Shh, it's okay. Danny couldn't have chosen a better man to be his grandson." Brian held on tighter as he felt Hunter begin to cry.

"I know we're not really related but..."

Brian guided them to the sofa where they sat. "Blood isn't a pre-requisite for family or love. And I ought to know. Hunter, I don't want Michael to get hurt."

"Neither do I. Christ! It feels just like when I moved up to the farm. I can almost see Michael crossing his arms over his chest and scowling at me." Hunter wiped at his eyes.

"Mikey does do indignant well."

"Tell me about it. Brian, am I making a mistake?"

"Trying to bring a family together is never a mistake. Just go slow." Brian swiped a lock of hair from Hunter's face. Hunter nodded as he wiped away the last of his tears. "Go clean yourself up in my bathroom while I get us a couple of bottles of water. I have a few more questions about this extravaganza that you're planning." Hunter got up then disappeared into Brian's private restroom. Brian reached for the phone to buzz Cynthia.

"Cyn, hold my calls for a while. Hunter and I want to go over a few things for the fundraiser."

"Sure thing, Brian. And we've already cleared everything off your calendar until the fundraiser is up and running, so you can give it your full attention."

"Thanks, Cynthia."

"That's what we're here for...OH SHIT! He's in a meeting! You can't go in THERE! BRIAN, LOOK OUT!"

"What? WHAT?" Brian shouted into the intercom then stood to run out to Cynthia.

"Brian Kinney, I know you're in there! You can't hide from me!" Debbie screamed as she barged into Brian's office. Brian sucked in a deep breath then faced the angry red-head.

"Howdy, Maw!"

"Don't you Maw me, you asshole. I just knew you were behind him!"

"Deb, the only him I'm behind, is Justin. Now what are you talking about?"

"Danny, and this!" Debbie shoved the latest newspaper into Brian's hand. On the social page was a photo of Brian and Hunter flanking Danny or rather, Divina. The article was promoting the clinic and gala.

"Why are you encouraging him?"

"Debbie, what is the big deal? Danny wants to get to know his family!"

"Not him, asshole. Hunter, that ungrateful little shit! Why is he hanging around that old queen?"

"I don't know, Deb. Maybe because that old queen is Hunter's grandfather."

"But Hunter is adopted!"

"And I'm not related to Briana by blood but I couldn't love her anymore if I were! Debbie, Hunter has survived the streets, he's surviving HIV. What gives you or me the right to tell him who he can love or make part of his family?"

"But Michael..."

"Michael has a hero for a father. This has nothing to do with him." Brian reached out to the woman who had given him unrelenting love for most of his life. Debbie leaned into his embrace. "Go home, Deb. It'll be all right. Hunter loves Michael. He won't do anything to hurt him. As for Danny, he's thinking of hanging up his wigs and heels after this shindig. He's been looking for a nice little home on the outskirts of town where he can plant tomatoes in the Spring and mow his lawn all summer long. Maybe put up a swing for his only granddaughter in his backyard. And cook Sunday dinner for his grandson, the Master of Social Work. I think that sounds like a pretty good plan to me. What do think, Deb?"

"I think I'm going to go home. You tell Hunter I love him." Debbie hugged and kissed Brian then lightly smacked his cheek. "I love you too, kiddo."

"I know. And I love you too, Maw." Brian showed Debbie out of his office.

After a moment, Hunter came out of the restroom.

"You're good at that. Maybe you should have been a social worker."

"Nah, I just know what she wants to hear. That's why I'm the greatest ad man there ever was." Brian stuck his tongue in his cheek making Hunter crack up.

"Bri, I don't want anyone to get hurt but I'd really like to get to know Danny."

"I know you do and you will. Don't worry about Debbie and Michael; they'll be okay. Now, if we're finished playing family affair, let's work out the details for this hoedown."

^^^^^^^^

"Hi, Susan," Justin said as Susan opened the door to her apartment.

"Hi, Justin, and hello, sweetheart," Susan said as she chucked Bree's cheek.

Bree giggled and smiled. "Hi, Gamma Susan."

"Are you ready to spend the afternoon with me?"

"Yes."

"I'll be back for her around seven," Justin said.

"Your Dad should be home around 6:30, so that will work nicely." Susan winked at Justin who handed her Bree's bag and set his daughter down.

"Bye, Bree, see you in a while."

"Bye, Daddy."

Susan took Bree's hand and closed the door behind Justin. She sincerely hoped this little plan of theirs was going to work.

They spent the afternoon making chocolate chip cookies using the recipe Susan's grandmother had passed down to her. She hadn't made the cookies in years, but somehow it seemed like the right thing to do with Briana.

As the afternoon wore on, Bree had chocolate hands, a chocolate ring around her mouth from tasting, and clothes that definitely needed to be laundered.

"I think we better get you cleaned up," Susan said as she took the last tray of cookies from the oven. "Then we can each have a nice, warm cookie. How does that sound?"

"Good," Bree said with a smile.

Susan set the hot cookies on a rack to cool and told Bree to follow her into the bathroom. Quickly Susan stripped the little girl down to her underwear and found the outfit that Justin had thoughtfully packed in her bag. Susan washed Bree's hands and any other areas that had received chocolate or flour or anything else. Bree giggled as Susan washed her face last. When she was done, Bree threw her arms around Susan's neck and gave her grandmother a big hug.

"Thank you, Gamma Susan."

"You're welcome, sweetheart," Susan said feeling her heart swell. She wished she had been able to talk Craig into having a child, but he was dead set against it. Apparently he had a vasectomy without telling her. "Let's go taste those cookies."

"Good cookies," Bree said as she put her little hand in Susan's.

Bree had just started to eat her cookie, sitting on the big stool by the kitchen counter when they heard the apartment door open.

"Craig," Susan called. "I'm in the kitchen with company."

"Company?" Craig said as he headed for the kitchen. He stuck his head in the door and stopped dead in his tracks. "What's she doing here?" he asked with a bitter tinge to his voice.

Bree looked at the man that she had been told was her Grampa. She smiled her sweetest smile and said, "Hi."

"I want an answer, Susan," Craig demanded.

"Justin had to go to the gallery and he needed someone to watch Briana. I volunteered."

"And why the fuck would he let you watch his … child?"

"I'm perfectly capable of looking after a child, Craig," Susan said trying to keep the sadness out of her voice. If only he could understand how much she had wanted a baby.

Bree watched the adults as their voices rose. She started to get worried as their voices sounded harsher and harsher. "Cookie?" she asked holding a cookie towards her grandfather. "Good." She batted her blue eyes at the man.

"I don't eat cookies, and just when did you become Mrs. Susie Domestic? I never knew you could bake."

"It doesn't take a brain surgeon to follow a recipe," Susan retorted. "It's my grandmother's favorite cookie recipe."

"Good," Bree contributed again, munching on her cookie and swinging her legs on the high stool.

"How much longer will she be here?" Craig asked in a voice that clearly spoke of his displeasure that she was there at all.

"Justin should be here to pick her up in a few minutes," Susan said with a sigh. Obviously this wasn't working.

"Good, I'm going into the living room. Have … her ready to go. I don't want to see either of them again."

Susan let out a long sigh as Craig turned away.

"Gampa," Bree said, "love you."

Craig's head snapped around as he looked into the little blue eyes that smiled back at him. "Hmpff," he said as he walked out of the room.

"Bree," Susan whispered, "do you think you could take Grampa Craig a cookie?" Bree nodded her head and Susan lifted her down off the stool. Susan watched Bree walk carefully out of the kitchen carrying the cookie for her grandfather.

Bree saw her Grampa sitting on the sofa reading the paper. She walked over to the sofa and waited, used to having her fathers immediately pay attention to her. When Craig ignored her and kept reading, she frowned. She waited another minute or two and when he still didn't look at her she said softly, "Gampa."

Craig lowered the paper and looked at Bree who held out the cookie towards him and flashed her best smile. "What?" he demanded.

"Cookie for you," Bree said.

"I don't like cookies."

"Good cookie," Bree said with another smile.

"I don't want your cookie," Craig replied with no grace at all.

"Pweese," Bree said scuffing the toe of her sneaker on the carpet and looking up at her grandfather.

"Oh, all right," Craig said grabbing the cookie from Bree and taking a quick bite. He had to admit the cookie was damn good.

"Good?" Bree asked.

"Very good," Craig said.

"Up," Bree demanded holding up her arms to be picked up.

Craig looked baffled. He didn't want anything to do with this child of his son's homosexual relationship, but how could he refuse something so simple as picking her up. He lifted her onto the sofa and sat her on the end away from him while he ate the rest of the cookie.

Bree scooted over towards her grandfather. "Want more cookies?"

"No, not right now," Craig snorted.

"I share," she said.

"Well, sharing's not all it's cracked up to be."

Bree frowned. She didn't know what that meant but usually people were happy when she shared. This man sure was different.

Just then the doorbell rang and Susan appeared from the kitchen carrying Bree's bag. "That must be your Daddy, Bree."

Bree leaned over and kissed Craig's cheek and then slid off the couch. "Daddy!" she yelled as she ran for the door.

For a split second Craig was knocked for a loop by the kiss. Once he recovered himself he headed for the bedroom not wanting to see his son.

Susan watched her husband disappear before opening the door.

"How did it go?" Justin asked as Susan handed him Bree's bag and he picked up his daughter.

Susan shrugged. "It's a start."

"Thanks, Susan," Justin said with a nod of his head. His father would be a tough nut to crack, but they had known that from the get-go.

"Bye, Gamma Susan."

"Bye, sweetheart," Susan said as she kissed Bree's cheek. "We'll have to do this again. I packed you a tin of the cookies we made, Justin."

"Thanks," Justin said again.

"Bye, Gampa," Bree called.

There was no answer as Susan shut the door behind Justin.