- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

While his boy was off making plans with Brian and Alex, Jake sat outside Mel and Lindsay’s house waiting for Chris and Justin to arrive. A part of him wanted to march right in there and tell them exactly how it was going to be…no questions asked; however, he’d learned to control his impulses when needed. He’d spent half an hour on the phone with Justin and Chris, so he knew the plan and his part in it. He’d just have to bite his tongue and follow Justin’s lead.

He was startled out of his reverie when his car door opened and Chris climbed in beside him. “Fuck, Chris!”

Chris laughed when he saw his friend jump. “Hey, you knew we were coming. What’s got you so jumpy?”

“I. Am. Not. Jumpy!”

Chris nodded. “Right. Do you always attempt to make a sunroof on your car whenever the passenger door is opened?”

Jake glared at him and growled, “I did no such thing. Are you sure you don’t need to see an eye specialist?”

“I see one every single day…when I look in the mirror.”

Jake saw Justin’s car pull up and park. When Justin looked and nodded his head, both Jake and Chris got out of the car to follow him up the steps. They all huddled on the porch as Justin’s rang the doorbell.

Lindsay opened the door and glared at Justin. “We told you that we didn’t have anything to say to you, so just leave.”

Justin smiled brightly. “You don’t have to say anything; you just need to listen.”

Melanie walked up behind Lindsay. “Let them in. I’m very interested in what they have to say. I wouldn’t mind the opportunity of taking them all to court for harassment.”

Justin tipped his head at Melanie. “I’m hoping we can all come to a mutually beneficial decision without involving the courts.”

“Oh, this I have to hear.” Melanie stepped back and motioned with her arm for them to enter.

The three men walked quietly into the house and sat in the living room.

“Say what you have to say and get out.” Melanie glared at each one of them.

Justin leaned forward and looked directly into Melanie’s eyes. “I understand that the reason you feel the need to keep Gus away from Brian is because of our lifestyle. While I find it extremely narrow-minded of you, and I can see how something like this could scare you, you have to know that it isn’t in Gus’s best interests.”

“Are you saying that we don’t know what’s best for our own son?” asked Lindsay.

“Not at all, Lindsay. I know that you think you’re doing the right thing, but we both know that you don’t really want to exclude Brian from Gus’s life.”

“So now you’re professing to know how Lindsay feels, is that right?” Melanie leaned back and rolled her eyes.

“I know that she took Gus to see Brian at Kinnetik. I know that she told Brian if he would end our relationship, she’d drop all the court proceedings.” Justin looked directly into Mel’s eyes.

Melanie turned and looked at Lindsay with a shocked expression. “You did what?!”

Lindsay looked at her hands and fidgeted. “I was only trying to stop all this insanity before it got out of hand.”

“Exactly! That’s what I’m trying to do.” Justin nodded and smiled at Lindsay.

“How could you, Lindz? You realize that you broke the restraining order. How could you be so stupid?” Melanie waved her hands in front of Lindsay’s face.

Lindsay bit her lip as tears pooled in her eyes. “I was only trying to help.”

Justin nodded at Lindsay.“That’s the very reason we’re here. Brian is our family, so that makes you part of our family as well, and we take care of our own.”

Melanie turned and glared at Justin. “Just what the hell is that supposed to mean?”

Justin took a deep breath. “It’s no secret that you’re having some financial problems, especially since Brian has only been paying the minimal amount required for child support. I was amazed when I went over his records and found out just how much money he’s given you; money you both know that he wasn’t required to give.”

Melanie snarled, “We don’t need his money.”

“Oh, I think you do. Who do you think has been paying your OB-GYN bills, Melanie?”

Melanie’s eyes went round. “I thought Michael was paying for that.”

Justin shook his head. “No, Michael asked Brian to help out. Brian has been the one paying all those bills.”

Melanie collapsed back on the couch and rubbed her temples. “So, he’s been paying for all my appointments and medication?”

Justin nodded. “I’ll be honest with you. I told him to stop paying for all that. I mean, you are trying to take his child away from him. If it were up to me, he’d have stopped paying you a cent until this was all settled, but he said he couldn’t because he’d promised Michael.”

“I’m going to fucking kill Michael.” Melanie dropped her face into her hands and mumbled, “I’ll just get another doctor.”

Lindsay turned and grabbed Melanie’s shoulder. “No! You can’t do that. With all the problems you’ve had, you need to see the best doctor.”

“And there’s absolutely no reason for you to have to change doctors.” Justin nodded in Melanie’s direction. “As I said, you’re family and we take care of our own.”

Melanie dropped her hands and glared at Justin. “So, this is what this little visit is all about. You’re here to coerce us into dropping the custody case.”

Justin chuckled. “Melanie, how in the world am I coercing you? Brian has no legal obligation to help you. He does it because he thinks of you as part of his family, and since you’re part of his family, that makes you part of our family.”

“Right! So if I want to continue seeing my doctor, all I have to do is drop the custody battle.” Melanie shook her head in disgust.

“I’m not telling you to drop anything. We’re just having a friendly conversation, and I’m pointing out a few things that you may not have thought through.” Justin tilted his head.

“Just get to the fucking point,” growled Melanie.

Jake stiffened and leaned forward, but Chris put a hand on his shoulder and shook his head.

“I believe this is all just a misunderstanding, and I’m willing to admit to my part. I never made it my priority to get to know you, and I certainly didn’t make it a priority to allow you the opportunity to get to know me. I breezed into your lives with no thought as to how my relationship with Brian would affect his family, but I’d like the chance to rectify that.” Justin looked from Melanie to Lindsay. “I think we could all learn to accept one another if we worked together. After all, we only want what’s best for Gus.”

Melanie shook her head. “How can you possibly have room in your life for a child? I don’t want my son exposed to all that sick shit.”

Jake growled low in his throat and Chris nudged his shoulder, whispering, “Just hold it together a little longer.”

Justin held his hands out. “Melanie, do I look all that different from any other guy? I’m not sure what you think my lifestyle is like, but I can assure you that I don’t go around carrying a whip. I’m just like you. I get up in the morning, eat breakfast, go to work, visit friends, and come home. I just enjoy spicing up my sex life. Please tell me how, exactly, does that hurt Gus? It’s not like Brian and I would ever have sex in front of him.”

“You people are freaks and no child should be exposed to that.”

“What the fuck?!” Jake exploded, leaning forward to stand. Chris grabbed his shoulder and had to physically pull him back onto the couch.

Justin took a calming breath. “I’m sure all those homophobic assholes out there think they’re also right when they say, ‘Queers shouldn’t be allowed anywhere near a child,’ huh?”

Melanie blinked in shock. “Are you comparing me to those people?”

“Yes, I am. Look at what you’re doing here. You’ve made up your mind about my life with no factual knowledge and decided that I’m too freakish to be around your child. How is that any different from what those homophobic idiots are spouting?”

“I never…I mean…it’s just that…Oh God!” Melanie looked at Lindsay. “He’s right.”

“Chris, Jake and I were talking about this before we came over. Regardless of what you two decide, we wanted to give some things to Gus.”

“What sort of things?” Lindsay asked.

“Well, I’d like to pay off this house. It’s Gus’s home after all.” Justin smiled.

“I knew it! You’re trying to bribe us.” Melanie shook her finger in Justin’s face.

Justin sighed. “I’m not trying to bribe you. I just told you that no matter what you decide, I’m doing this for Gus, so this has nothing to do with whether or not you take Brian to court.”

Chris sat forward and looked at the girls. “Alex and I would like to set up a college fund for Gus.”

Jake gritted his teeth and cleared his throat. He looked at Melanie and tried to keep his face neutral. “Miguel and I would like to pay for him to go to the very best private schools. Of course, you two would decide which ones. We’d also cover all costs for uniforms, computers, supplies and anything else he would need.”

Justin nodded. “And, of course, Brian would continue to pay child support and all of your medical bills for the new baby.”

Chris shifted forward. “Actually, Alex and I could set up a college fund for the new baby as well. This child will be Gus’s brother or sister, so it’s only fair.”

Jake looked at Chris like he’d lost his mind, but Chris only nodded toward the girls. After a brief hesitation, Jake faced Melanie. “Yes, and we’d also be willing to finance the new baby’s schooling.”

Lindsay looked over the three men with a shocked expression on her face. “Why are you offering to do this?”

“Because you’re family,” stated Justin.

Melanie looked into Justin’s eyes. “So, you will do all this even if we continue with the custody case?”

All three men nodded and Jake leaned over the coffee table. “If you decide to continue with the custody battle, we won’t take any of these things away from the children, but you can bet every last penny you’ll ever hope to earn in your lifetimes that we’ll fight with everything we have to ensure that Brian doesn’t lose his son.”

Melanie grinned at Jake. “You don’t pull any punches, do you?”

Jake tilted his head to the side and smiled at Melanie. “Not when it comes to the people I care about.”

“Listen, Gus’s birthday is next weekend. If it’s okay with you two, I’d like to hire Emmett to plan a party for him. You can decide on what you’d like to do, but I would like Brian to be able to attend. Normally, I wouldn’t do this, but I’ll agree to stay away if you’ll allow Brian to spend some time with his son.”

Lindsay sat forward. “Well, if you’re offering to stop seeing Brian, we don’t have a problem at all.”

Justin glared at Lindsay. “I’m not offering to stop seeing Brian. That isn’t going to happen anytime soon. I was offering not to attend the party.”

Chris stood up and tugged Jake to his feet. “I think we’ve taken enough of your time. We’ll have our lawyer contact you with the paperwork for the college funds.”

Justin stood and looked down at the girls. “I’m willing to do whatever I can to make sure Brian has the opportunity to be a part of his son’s life, but I’m not willing to walk away from him. Are we clear?”

Melanie stood and led the way to the door, opening it. Chris and Jake nodded as they left the house, but she put her hand on Justin’s arm. “I think I was wrong about you, and I just wanted to thank you for thinking of this child.” She rubbed her hand over her stomach.

“This child will be a part of our family, so of course I’ll look out for him or her.”

“I think Lindsay and I have a lot of things to talk about.”

Justin smiled and walked out to join Chris and Jake.