- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Melanie walked into Kinnetik with a determined look on her face. It’d been three days since she’d had the visit from Brian’s friends. She was still dubious about exposing her son to Brian’s new lifestyle, but she’d done a lot of thinking and finally concluded that she couldn’t continue with the custody battle. Make no mistake, she still held a lot of resentment for Brian Kinney and she hated that she felt obligated to him, but under the circumstances, she’d have to try and make peace with the man.

She walked past the receptionist, ignoring the woman’s questions about who she was here to see. After stepping around some men carrying large boards, she made her way towards Brian’s office. Not bothering to knock, she opened the door and entered, spotting Brian sitting behind his desk. “I need to talk to you.”

When he lifted his head, she was shocked to see a real smile on his face, not a forced or fake smile, and it certainly wasn’t one of his smirks. Of course, it didn’t last long when he realized who’d entered his office.

She watched as he straightened in his chair and hated the way his eyes, which only a moment ago had been filled with warmth and laughter, but were now cold and hard, swept over her with such an air of disdain.

“What can I do for you, Miss Marcus?”

She gritted her teeth for a moment. God, she hated his superior tone and the way it made her feel inferior. He wasn’t better than she was by anyone’s standards, but he’d always had this way of looking at her that made her feel like scum beneath his shoes. She cleared her throat. “Your little friends paid me and Lindsay a visit the other day.”

She noticed how he stiffened and watched as he placed the folder he’d been looking at on the corner of his immaculate desk. His perfectly manicured nails made little-strumming noises as his fingers drummed on the glass desktop. If she hadn’t known better, she would have sworn he was nervous.

“I know, and I’m not happy about it. I’m perfectly capable of handling my own affairs, but I assure you, they were only doing what they thought was best for Gus.”

Melanie raked a hand through her cropped hair and moved closer to the desk. Her back was killing her, so she sat down in the plush chair across from him. “I’m not here to bitch about their visit; I’m here to get some answers from you.”

She watched his left eyebrow arch up and his cheek puff out a bit. He was obviously pushing his tongue against the side of his mouth…just another of his traits that annoyed the hell out of her.

“Just exactly what answers do I owe you?”

She bit her bottom lip. There it was again. That fucking superior, know-it-all tone he seemed to reserve especially for people that didn’t measure up. Her fingers curled, and she felt her nails biting into her palms. “I want to know why you’re paying all my medical bills.” There she’d gotten that out without sneering too badly.

She watched him lean back in his chair and turn a bit to the side. His eyes never left hers, and she hated the feeling of shame that washed over her, making her want to look anywhere but into those glinting hazel eyes.

His head tilted to the side as he studied her. He sucked his bottom lip between his teeth for a moment and leaned forward, clasping his hands together on the desk.

“Michael asked me to.”

Melanie took a deep breath. The bastard just wasn’t going to make this easy for her. “I know that, but why did you agree to do it, especially considering what was going on?”

There was that smirk. Her fingers tightened so much that she knew she’d have marks on her palms when this was over. She’d promised herself that no matter what he said or did, she wouldn’t succumb to her basic instincts.

“You mean considering that you and the woman you’re married to were trying to make sure I couldn’t see my son again?”

She forced her fingers to uncurl and rubbed her palms along her denim-clad legs. “Something like that.”

She watched as the smirk disappeared and he regarded her with a look that clearly was reserved for people he hated or at the very least, disliked intensely.

“That baby had nothing to do with what’s going on. I can’t hold the child responsible simply because it was unfortunate enough to have you as a mother. Besides, that’s Mikey’s baby, too.”

Melanie couldn’t help but notice the way his voice became softer when he mentioned Michael. “Yes it is, but Michael took our side in the custody issue. So, again I ask…why?”

“I don’t have to explain myself to you. I did a favor for a friend…that’s all. I don’t know what you’ve cooked up in that little head of yours, but I wasn’t trying to make you feel obligated so you’d drop the custody case. I consider Mikey my family, even if he does act like a fucking jackass.”

Melanie nodded her head. It was true. He’d paid for her expenses just because he’d been asked. A small part of her had hoped to discover some underhanded reasoning to his gesture, but she couldn’t mistake the honesty in his eyes. “Listen, Brian. I’m not going to pretend that I’m okay with whatever it is that you’re doing, but I’m sick of all this shit. I talked it over with Lindsay, and we’re willing to sign papers, stating that you can have Gus every other weekend, most of the summer, and we’ll share major holidays. And while I’m being so honest, I just wanted to say that I’m sorry I ever doubted your devotion to Gus.”

If she’d had any lingering doubts about her decision, they disappeared as soon as she saw the smile that lit up his face for a moment before he could school his features back into that cold mask. This was just another reason for her to hate him. She couldn’t stand the fact that they were more alike than she’d ever be willing to admit.

“I’ll have my lawyer write up the papers and get them to you as soon as possible.”

She smiled at him, hoping he didn’t think she was making fun of him. “I won’t change my mind, but the sooner this is over, the better it will be for everyone.”

Melanie gave a quick nod of her head, stood and headed for the door. She gasped when she felt his hand on her shoulder. After an awkward moment, she felt his hand drop and she turned to face him. “Yes?”

This time he did look nervous and a bit unsure of himself as he shifted his weight from one foot to the other.

“I was just wondering. After the baby’s born. Maybe he or she could stay with me and Justin sometime. I mean when we have Gus.”

Her eyes widened and she shook her head. “Why the hell would you want to do that? This child is nothing to you.”

She watched as his head dropped and he shoved his hands into his pockets. She almost didn’t hear the softly whispered words.

“It could have been.”

“What? What are you talking about?”

She watched as he raised his head and once again met her eyes.

“I could have been the father of this baby if I hadn’t been such a bastard.”

Nothing he could have said would have affected her more. She was so shocked it took her a moment to reply. “Well… It’s not really up to me, but I’ll talk to Lindsay and Michael. I think we can work something out.”

He nodded and pulled the door open for her. She gave a little shake of her head and walked past him. As if she hadn’t been shocked enough for one day, he had to have that one parting shot that left her feeling a bit gutted.

“Thank you, Melanie. I really appreciate this.”

She was too astounded to do more than nod her head and quickly walked out. Who the fuck was that and what the hell had he done with Brian Kinney?

As soon as Melanie was out of the office, Brian buzzed Cynthia. “I’m taking the rest of the day off. Handle everything.”

“Sure thing, Boss. Anything else I can do?”

“Yeah. Call Justin and tell him we’re celebrating tonight.”

Cynthia watched him grab his briefcase and coat, practically jogging out of the building. She turned and looked at Ted. “I’d say someone is in for a fun evening.”

“Lucky bastard,” Ted answered with a big smile.

*~*~*~*~*~*~WebDom Offices~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian walked into WebDom like he owned the place. He gave a little wave to Daphne and continued towards Justin’s office. As he passed the board room, he heard Justin’s voice, changed directions, and walked into the room. He grinned because he was behind Justin who seemed to be having a staff meeting. He held a finger in front of his lips, signaled for everyone to be quiet, crept up behind Justin, wrapped his arms around the solid chest he loved to lay his head on every night, and whispered, “Melanie came by the office and said they’re dropping the custody case.”

Justin spun around in Brian’s arms, made an undignified squealing sound and attacked Brian’s lips. The room exploded with whistles and catcalls. Justin finally broke the kiss and turned to his staff, announcing, “We just got some really great news, so I’m taking the rest of the day off to celebrate.” He grabbed Brian’s hand and pulled him out of the room, hearing even more, whistles from his staff.

“I can’t believe Melanie agreed to drop the case.” Justin was smiling and practically jumping at Brian’s side.

“Neither can I, but I’m so glad it’s over.” Brian smiled and kissed Justin’s lips gently. “I think I owe some people a huge thank you.”

Justin wiggled his eyebrows. “Well, I know how you can thank me.”

“Is that right?”

Justin nodded his head and ran a hand across Brian’s chest, down over his stomach and stopped at his waistband. “Yeah, I believe I can think of something I want really, really badly.”

Brian sucked air into his lungs, making a little gasping sound. “Will I be expected to thank the others in the same fashion?”

Justin tilted his head and grinned evilly. “Oh, I don’t know. You might enjoy it.”

“I know I would. Chris is hot.”

“So is Jake,” replied Justin with a wink.

Brian winced and bit his bottom lip. “I guess he could be found slightly attractive if he wasn’t such an asshole.”

Justin slapped Brian’s shoulder. “Hey! That’s my friend you’re talking about. Besides, I thought you two had settled your differences.”

Brian smirked. “Oh, we have. I’m even willing to admit that I like the guy, but less is more when dealing with Jake.”

Justin laughed as they headed through the back door that led into the garage. “I’m sure he’d be ecstatic to learn that you felt so highly of him.”

Brian snorted. “I bet, but I’m sure he thinks just as highly of me.”

Justin unlocked his Mustang and opened Brian’s door. “Enough about Jake, I want to talk about how you can repay me.”

Brian slid into the car. “I’m all ears. How can I serve you, Master?”

Justin winked and closed the car door, walking around and climbing in behind the steering wheel. “What I have in mind involves a lot of water, bubbles, and friction.”

Brian licked his lips and ran a hand up Justin’s thigh. “I love having sex in the shower.”

Justin put his arm around Brian’s shoulders, pulling him close. “I love having sex in the shower too, but that’s not what I had in mind as your repayment.”

Brian leaned back and looked into Justin’s eyes. “The hot tub works just as well.”

Justin laughed. “The hot tub is more than wonderful, but I was thinking that you could…” He paused and licked his lips.

“What?” Brian gasped as images of what they could do in warm soapy water ran through his head.

Justin leaned closer until his lips were practically touching Brian’s. “I want you to…” He licked Brian’s bottom lip.

“What? You want me to what?” Brian was panting and squirming in his seat.

Justin sat up straight in his seat and grinned. “I want you to wash my car.”