- Text Size +

 

 

 

 

Brian woke up and stretched, feeling the strain in his muscles that reminded him of last night, and smiled. He looked over at Justin who was still sound asleep. He slid from the bed and headed toward the kitchen. If he was lucky, he’d have enough time to fix a light breakfast and coffee before his partner woke up. He couldn’t keep the smile off his face as he moved around the kitchen, cutting fruit, spreading cream cheese on toasted bagels, and pouring two cups of coffee. He put everything on the tray and carefully made his way back to the playroom. After placing the tray on the little table next to the bed, he crawled under the covers and rubbed his body against Justin’s.

“Mmmmmm. Morning.” Justin pulled Brian closer.

“I made breakfast and coffee.”

Justin grinned at the self-satisfied tone he heard in his boy’s voice. He combed his fingers through the auburn locks gently massaging the scalp. “This is my week to make breakfast.”

“I know, but you looked so peaceful. I didn’t want to wake you until I had to.” Brian rubbed his palm across the slightly muscular stomach.

Justin quickly kissed the top of Brian’s head. “Okay, let’s have this breakfast. I’m starved.”

Brian laughed and rolled over moving the tray from the table to the bed. He picked up a cup of coffee and handed it to Justin. “I made it just the way you like.”

Closing his eyes and breathing in the heady aroma of his favorite coffee, Justin moaned softly in appreciation as he took a sip. “Why does the coffee always taste better when you make it?”

Brian snorted. “Because you just want to be lazy and think if you ply me with compliments, I’ll be more inclined to make the coffee every morning so you don’t have to.”

Justin gasped. “How can you say such things to me? I thought you knew me better than that.”

Brian picked up his bagel and wiggled his eyebrows suggestively. “Oh, I do know you. I also know how to get you up.”

“Is that a fact? You think you have me all figured out, do you?”

Brian tapped the bagel against Justin’s lips watching as the blond took a bite and moaned softly. “I know enough to keep you happy.”

Justin chewed and swallowed before reaching up to run his thumb across Brian’s bottom lip. “Yeah, I guess you do.”

They finished their breakfast between teasing comments, sexual innuendoes, and light touches. When they were finished, Justin pulled on a pair of sweatpants, put everything back on the tray, and headed to the kitchen. Brian pulled on a matching pair of sweats and started cleaning up the playroom, putting everything back in order.

After putting the kitchen back in order, Justin walked into the playroom coming up behind Brian and wrapping his arms around his partner’s waist. “Are you sore?”

Brian placed his hands on top of Justin’s and leaned his head back a bit. “I’m faaaaabulous.”

Justin pressed his face between Brian’s shoulder blades and laughed. “You’re awful and I’m going to tell Miguel that you were making fun of him.”

Brian turned and rested his arms across Justin’s shoulders. “Just what makes you think I was imitating Miguel? Maybe I was channeling Emmett.”

Justin tilted his head and looked into sparkling hazel eyes. “Were you?”

Brian pushed his tongue into his cheek. “You can’t tell can you?”

Justin shook his head and smacked Brian on the ass. “Well if you aren’t sore then you can join me.”

Brian clapped his hands. “Oh my God! Let’s dance.”

“Okay, that was so Emmett.”

Brian laughed as he took his place in the middle of the floor. Justin turned on the music and walked over taking his place next to Brian, smiling brightly. They started moving together in perfect sync, performing the difficult movements of the capoeira routine. This was one of Brian’s second favorite activities. After he’d learned the moves and how to follow Justin’s lead, he was able to perform automatically. This was his time to meditate and reflect. It was just another way his life had changed, but he enjoyed every minute.

When their thirty-minute workout was complete, they hit the shower and enjoyed Brian’s favorite activity. As they were getting dressed, Justin asked, “So when is this surprise party again?”

Brian rolled his eyes. “You know perfectly well it’s this Saturday. Emmett, Miguel, and Alex have been working their asses off to make sure it’s faaaabulous.”

“So if it’s supposed to be a surprise, how did you find out about it?”

Brian raised his eyebrow. “You must be joking. Emmett can’t keep a secret if his life depended on it. Besides, when I threatened to rip his balls off if he didn’t tell me what the three of them were up to; I guess he figured his life did depend on it.”

Justin studied Brian for a moment. “You really enjoy hanging out with them, don’t you?”

Brian shrugged and sat down on the end of the bed. “When they aren’t giving me migraines, I find their company tolerable.”

“Admit it. You love the fact that Miguel and Alex moved here.”

“I think love is too strong a word. On occasion, I find it convenient that they’re close by.” Brian finished putting on his shoes and stood up.

Justin handed Brian his jacket. “Well, I’m glad Chris and Jake are here. I still can’t believe they all left New York.”

“It’s good for you to have friends close by. I’d love to stay and chat, but I have to get to the office. After all, I have to earn enough money to keep you in the lifestyle you’ve become so accustomed to.” Brian smirked.

“Yes, dear. I’ll just stay home and play the happy housewife,” Justin scoffed.

“Well, we all can’t be lucky enough to work and live in the same building.”

“Someone has to work and keep you in your Armani suits.”

Brian smiled, leaned down and kissed Justin thoroughly. “I’m worth every penny you spend on me and then some. Don’t you ever forget it.”

Justin fanned himself. “Don’t worry, Mr. Kinney. I don’t plan on ever taking you for granted.”

“Damn straight.” Brian grabbed his briefcase and entered the elevator. “I’m the best thing that will ever happen to you, blond boy.”

Justin laughed and called out. “Right back at you.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Brian sauntered into Kinnetik with a smile firmly planted on his face. He returned greetings as he headed into his office only to find Ted and Cynthia both waiting for him.


“Just what do I owe the pleasure of having you two greet me first thing in the morning?”

Ted fidgeted in his chair. “I just have some papers for you to sign.”

Cynthia was perched on the corner of Brian’s desk. “I just wanted to go over the presentation and storyboards.”

Brian looked back and forth between them wondering what the hell was going on. “You look mighty nervous, Theodore. Mind telling me what’s really going on here?”

“Well, Blake got us tickets to the opera this Saturday, but now he’s not going to be able to make it, so I was wondering if you’d like to go with me.” Ted adjusted his tie nervously.

Brian grinned. “So you’re the patsy they chose to get me to my surprise party on time. Who have they got accosting Justin?”

Ted’s eyes widened. “You know about it?”

Brian walked around the desk and sat down in his chair. “Of course I know, Theodore. Did you really think you losers could pull something off without me finding out?”

“I guess I’ll pick you up at seven then.”

Brian looked at Ted and grinned. “Couldn’t you have come up with a better story than that? I mean when have I ever shown any interest in the opera?”

Ted shook his head. “I told them to get someone else to do it, but it seems everyone else already has a job to do.”

Brian leaned forward. “So who is supposed to play the patsy and get Justin to the party?”

“Jake.” Ted closed his eyes waiting for the explosion.

“Well, I certainly hope Jake is doing a better job of conning Justin than you did with me.” Brian started flipping through the papers on his desk.

Cynthia looked at Ted. “What a rip-off. I thought you said he was going to freak out.”

Brian grinned behind the papers for a moment before schooling his face into a scowl. He lowered the documents and looked at Ted. “Been telling lies again, Theodore?”

Ted sputtered and shifted around in his chair. “I-I thought. You- Jake. You d-don’t like him. I figured…”

“Now Theodore, you should know me well enough by now to know that I’m not going to queen out over something this asinine.”

Ted blushed. “Sorry, Boss.”

“As well you should be. I could easily fire you for spreading rumors and gossip around the workplace and then where would poor Blake get the money to buy those opera tickets?”

Ted stood up. “I’ll just be going back to my office now. If you need anything, yell.”

Brian laughed, stood up and gave Ted a pat on the shoulder. “Don’t worry, I will. Now get out of here and go earn that ridiculously high salary that I pay you.”

Ted quickly left the office and Brian turned to Cynthia. “As for you, young lady, how can you condone such gossip?”

Cynthia stood and winked. “I have no life, so I have to live through your adventures.” She laughed and walked out.

Brian shook his head and sat back down just as his phone rang. “Kinney, here.”

“Brian, I need to talk to you. I’m coming by your office now, so I’d appreciate it if you could free up some time.”

Brian sat up straighter in his chair. “Is something wrong with Gus?”

He heard a sigh come through before Lindsay spoke again. “Well, in a way, yes, but it’s nothing to worry about. I just need to speak to you.”

“I’m free for another two hours.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Lindsay Marcus-Peterson walked into Kinnetik without stopping by the reception’s desk. She made her way straight to Brian’s office walking in without knocking. “We need to talk.”

Brian motioned to the chair opposite his. “So talk.”

Lindsay sat down and folded her hands in her lap. She focused on the desktop refusing to meet Brian’s eyes. “I don’t want you to see Gus anymore.”

Brian’s face revealed his shock. “What the fuck, Lindz?”

“Listen, Brian. You’ve changed and I for one don’t think it’s for the better. Melanie and I have discussed it, and we think it would be better for Gus if you just faded out of his life permanently.”

“You and Melanie have discussed it, have you? I don’t suppose I get a say here?”

“Gus is almost two years old. He’s talking pretty good now and he’s old enough to remember things. We just don’t think the crowd you hang out with is a positive influence.”

“What and all those lesbian friends of yours are a positive influence on him. Need I mention Leda?”

“You know perfectly well what I’m talking about Brian.” Lindsay played with the hem of her skirt.

Brian leaned back and fixed his eyes on the woman who he thought of as a friend. “Let me tell you what I do know. I know that I still have rights to my son. I know that I pay you an outrageous amount of money in child support. I know that I’m paying for Melanie’s hospital bills and I’ll probably end up paying support for her child as well. We both know that Michael can’t afford to do it, and I know that you’re a hypocrite. Did I miss anything?”

“I knew this was a mistake. You’ve changed so much you’re not willing to listen to reason. I just didn’t want you to be blindsided when you receive the court papers.” Lindsay stood and started for the door.

“You’ve filed papers?” Brian stopped her before she reached the door.

“Yes, and you should receive them later today.”

“Don’t do this Lindsay. You can’t honestly want to take my son away from me. This is that cunt’s idea isn’t it?”

Lindsay met Brian’s eyes. “Don’t talk about her like that Brian. Especially when you live with that deviant.”

Brian stepped to the side to allow Lindsay to exit his office. “This isn’t over. If you think I’m just going to disappear, you have another think coming. Get the fuck out of my office.”

Brian walked back to his chair and collapsed into it. He stared off into space for a moment letting his eyes wander around his office. He had one of Miguel’s painting hanging beside one of Justin’s on the far wall. He looked in the corner at Alex’s glass sculpture. His eyes scanned the various awards he’d won before he covered his face with his hands. He couldn’t lose his son. He never thought he’d make a good father, but with Justin’s help, he’d learned a lot about himself. He picked up the phone and dialed Justin’s office.

As soon as he heard the familiar voice on the line he whispered hoarsely, “I need you, Master.”