- Text Size +

 

Chapter 6

Ben awoke to the sound of dishes clinking together and pots and pans rattling.

"What the fuck?" he said as he sat up in bed. Michael was not there with him. He got up and made his way downstairs. Michael was in the kitchen battering any item that got in his way. "What the fuck are you doing? It's five to six."

"I'm making breakfast," Michael said in his best surly voice.

"Usually that requires some food to land in the pans and plates that you're tossing around."

"Go back to bed if you're going to criticize," Michael said belligerently.

"Michael, stop taking out your frustrations about Brian on the china and pots and pans."

Michael snorted. "I'm making breakfast," he repeated like that solved everything.

"I'm going to have a shower and get dressed. Try to find your softer side by then." Ben trudged up the stairs.

"Find your softer side," Michael muttered to himself. "Hardy har har har! Fucking idiot, Brian! Who the fuck does he think he is?"

*****

"Dada! Daddy! Get up!" Bree ordered as she climbed onto the big bed in her fathers' bedroom.

"What time is it?" Brian asked as he pried an eye open.

"Late," Bree replied.

"It's quarter after six," Justin said.

"Fuck!" Brian replied as he buried his head in his pillow.

"Up, Dada. Hungry," Bree said.

"I'm not hungry," Brian mumbled.

"I hungry," Bree stated. "Silly Dada."

"Yeah, silly Dada, get up and feed her," Justin told his husband.

"You get up and feed her."

"No, you."

Bree frowned as nobody seemed to be getting up to feed her. She let out a long sigh. When nobody moved she decided to take matters into her own hands. She climbed down off the bed and headed for the door.

Brian opened one eye. "Where are you going, Squirt?"

"I find food," she said.

"No, come back here," Brian told her.

"No!" She ran out the door.

"Fuck!" Brian reacted as he threw back the sheets and got up. He pulled on some sweatpants and went to see what his precocious daughter was doing.

He found Bree dragging a chair from the kitchen table towards the cupboards where the Cheerios were kept.

"What do you think you're doing, Missy?" Brian demanded as he watched her struggle with the chair.

"I get breakfast," she stated.

"Not by climbing on a chair."

Bree frowned. It wasn't often that her Dada told her she couldn't do something. "Why?" she demanded. "I hungry."

"It's not safe for you to be climbing up on chairs and counters," Brian said. "You might get hurt."

"Oh," Bree replied considering what her father was telling her. "Help me, Dada?" She gave Brian her best smile and batted her baby blues.

"You are such a flirt."

"Yes, Dada," she said primly.

Brian had to laugh. He scooped her up and tipped her sideways blowing a raspberry on her belly where her pajama top separated from the bottom. Bree giggled happily. Justin simply had to join his family. He couldn't stand the thought of missing all the fun.

*****

"Morning, baby," Nick said softly as Hunter's eyes fluttered open.

"Hi. What time is it?"

"Just after eight. I wish I could stay home with you another day but I have to go back to work."

"I know and I'm sorry I made you miss all that time."

"You have nothing to apologize for. You're my partner and I have every right to be with you when you don't feel well."

"That's just it. My body is well; it's my brain that doesn't want to work right."

"That is so untrue. You've had a shock, a bad shock. We've identified the cause and now we're ready to take it on. Remember what Steve said, you're not alone in this. Now I want you to promise me that if she calls again, you won't see her on your own. I want to be there. If not me, then take Steve or Bill with you. Hell, take Debbie with you. She'll beat the crap out of Rita."

"Yeah, you're right. Do you think I should go to the clinic today?"

"Bill and Steve will be down here around ten. Why don't you wait until after your session with them? Then if you feel up to it, you and Bill can go to the clinic together. How does that sound?"

"Sounds like a plan to me. Um, Nick, what time do you have to be at the hospital?"

"Nine, why?"

"Think anyone will notice if you're a few minutes late?" Hunter waggled his eyebrows at his lover.

"My test tubes won't tell a soul," Nick said then pounced on Hunter.

*****

"What's on your agenda for today, Sunshine?" Brian was almost dressed. They were preparing to go into Pittsburgh for the day.

"I have to go to the gallery for a while. Sidney wants me to sign some certificates of authenticity for the paintings and sketches that were sold at auction and, um, Bri…?" Justin hesitated to continue.

"What?"

"I was due in New York earlier this week."

"Shit, your Old Masters opened at Kyle's gallery, right?" Justin nodded. "Is he pissed?"

"No, I called him and he understood but he wants me for this weekend."

"For cheese and crackers and cheap wine?"

"Something like that. I did promise."

"I know and I promised to go with you."

"So what should we do?"

"You leave that up to me, I'll get you there. Is Miss Squirt ready?"

"I ready, Dada!" Bree came into her daddies' room dragging her backpack. "We go to work and school?"

"Yup. Let's head 'em up and move 'em out!" Brian shouted.

"You silly, Dada," Bree informed her Dada.

"Yup!" Brian affirmed with a silly grin. The Kinney/Taylor family went to work.

*****

Debbie had let herself into Brian's building using the key he had given her a very long time ago. She took the elevator up to the third floor, hesitating at Hunter's door. She had spoken to Nick at the diner a few hours earlier. He was running late and came for a coffee and bagel to go. Nick had said Hunter was doing much better, making progress with his counseling and that he'd probably be back at the clinic next week. Debbie was feeling a little guilty at the way she treated Brian and had more than a few questions for Hunter. She was hoping that he was up to answering them for her. She knocked on the door.

"Hi, Deb," Hunter greeted Debbie cheerfully as he slid open the door.

"Sweetheart, how the hell are you?" Debbie drew Hunter into her bosom and nearly hugged the stuffing out of him.

"I'm fine, Debbie," Hunter replied when he was released then caught his breath. "Do you want some tea or coffee?"

"Tea would be nice, if I'm not interrupting anything," Debbie looked around the apartment but Hunter was alone.

"We're alone. Bill went to the clinic and Steve went back upstairs. They're going home on Sunday."

"Honey, can you tell me what happened? I don't understand when you woke up, why Brian didn't call for the doctor?"

"Deb, I made Brian go out to get Steve. He wanted to call the doctor but I asked him not to."

"Why?"

"It's hard to explain and some of it's confidential."

"Between you and Brian?"

"Partly, mainly between me and Steve. Debbie, do you really think there's something going on between me and Brian?" Debbie winced, giving Hunter a little shrug. "Christ! When I was younger, I would have done just about anything to get inside that man's pants. Now, he's my best friend. He believes in me, Debbie."

"Lots of people believe in you. I think it hurt Michael when you didn't want to see him as soon as you woke up."

"I know and I plan to apologize to him. As soon as I build up the nerve to go outside. I'm not ready yet."

"So there's never been anything between you and Brian?"

"No, Debbie. Other than me indulging in some heavy fantasies about him, no. Blondie has him all to himself and for a very long time."

"But the clinic, the farm, you going for your masters, you never would have done any of that if you stayed home."

"You're probably right. Brian encouraged me to follow my heart. John, Claire, Bobby, Steve and Bill all helped give me direction. Even Blondie had some input."

"I still don't understand why you went to them instead of us."

"Debbie, this isn't a contest. I didn't set out to hurt or spite you. I love you and Michael and Ben. But I needed something else at the time. Brian wanted to tell you all that I was at the farm but I swore him to secrecy. I hired Bobby as my lawyer; he wouldn't break the client/attorney confidence. And Bill was my counselor, is my counselor, he certainly wouldn't break a confidence. And Steve, we connected on many levels."

"How?"

"Besides that man having the patience of a saint, he was able to relate to what I was experiencing and by helping me he helped himself. Look, I can't go into it because I don't have Steve's permission. It kind of involves his son."

"His son? I didn't know Steve had a son. Where's he been hiding him?"

"Jimmy died a long time ago. He and Bobby were friends in high school."

"Steve's son was named Jimmy?"

"Yes, now do you get it?"

"Some of it but not all of it and maybe I don't need to. What I do need to do is to go upstairs and apologize to Steve. I said some unkind things to him."

"Bet you thought up worse things to say," Hunter smirked, trying to lighten the mood.

"Well, yeah, I just hope he forgives me."

"He will; he's a good man, just like someone else we know." Hunter used his counseling voice with that statement. Debbie knew exactly to whom Hunter was referring.

"Are you implying that I should eat crow and apologize to Brian too?"

"If the feathers fit..."

"Shit."

Hunter gave Debbie a kiss on the cheek then sent her on her way.

*****

"Mrs. Horvath, what a nice surprise. What can I do for you?" Steve greeted Debbie formally if somewhat coolly. He stepped aside allowing Debbie into the loft.

"I came here to say I'm sorry," Debbie mumbled.

"I beg your pardon. I didn't get that," Steve replied.

"I said I'm sorry. I jumped to all the wrong conclusions and I should have waited to hear the facts before I went off. I just came from Hunter's apartment and he set me straight on a few things."

"I see. Would you like some coffee?" Steve asked in a warmer, friendlier tone.

"No, thank you. I have to run. I have to deliver another apology."

"To a tall brunet advertising executive?"

"The very same," Debbie confirmed as she scanned the loft.

"What is it, Deb?" Steve saw a wistful look in the woman's eye.

"This loft, so many memories, so many tricks."

"But a lot of love?"

"Yes, that's true. After all these years, I wonder why he won't give it up."

"Because of the love."

Steve and Debbie smiled at each other. She nodded then left to deliver her other apology.

*****

"Brian," Cynthia called over his intercom, "there's a Mrs. Horvath here to see you. Can I send her in?"

"Yeah, sure, Cyn," Brian stated, confused and concerned. He stood up from his desk, securing the buttons on his suit jacket then crossed to the door.

"Deb, what's wrong? And why the formality?" Brian guided his surrogate mother to a chair and held it while she sat. "Is everything okay?" Brian crouched in front of Debbie, taking her hands in his.

"Yes, kiddo, I'm fine. I'm just embarrassed as hell."

"Why?" Brian had forgotten the scene at the hospital. He was more concerned about Hunter than anything else.

"I'm an idiot," Debbie murmured.

"Aw, Maw, no you're not."

"Yes I am, honey. I jumped to the wrong conclusions, again. I almost hit you and I might have delayed Hunter's recovery if you didn't act so quickly. I'm just so..."

"You're a loving, caring woman, Maw. You would have gotten it eventually."

"By then Hunter may have sunk so deep that no one could reach him."

"Never happen, he's a lot stronger than that," Brian stated emphatically then stood to lean on his desk. "He's a good man with a good and loving partner. He got a second chance to make a life for himself and he did it with a vengeance."

"He had help, as I recall." Debbie's eyes sparkled at Brian.

"We all need help, now and then."

"Even you?"

"Especially me."

"You forgive me, sweetheart?"

"There's nothing to forgive, Maw."

"Brian honey, Michael, he's convinced that you're interfering with his family. He doesn't want to see or speak with you," Debbie was obviously hurt that her son would treat his oldest friend in this manner.

"Debbie, Michael and I have butted heads in the past and I'm sure we'll do it again. He'll come around, eventually."

"I'm not so sure this time."

"Then it's his loss. I love him but we keep going around in circles. I don't have time for it. When he's ready to listen, I'll talk to him. Maybe he'll listen to you. Either way, try to get him to know that I love him and that hunk of a husband of his. My door is always open to both of them."

"I will, Brian. I'll try to get him to see reason. I love you, honey." Debbie stood to hug Brian around his neck.

"Love you too, Maw," Brian said softly as he snaked his arms around Debbie.

*****

"Hello?"

"Jimmy, it's Mommy, baby. Please don't hang up. I really want to see you. Can we meet somewhere?"

"Yeah, sure. Give me a number where I can reach you. I'll call you with the time and the place."

"Sure, Jimmy, sure. Thank you."

"Don't thank me yet." Hunter took down the number then cut the connection. He had a lot of planning to do.