- Text Size +

 

 

“We did it, I can’t believe it. Finally, you’re my husband and you’re never getting away from me again,” Justin said, pulling Brian down for a kiss.

They had just entered their wedding reception. It had taken two years to get to this point. After his kidnapping everything had been so up in the air. First there was straightening out what had exactly happened.

Sapperstein was convicted of killing Kip and being an accomplice in Justin’s abduction. Lee’s trial had just ended, he only escaped the death penalty with the deal he made. He had five consecutive life sentences, one for each of the murders he committed. Two woman were found buried on Sapperstein’s land. Kip and Lee’s grandmother passed away…never regaining consciousness.

Then there was Bobbie Jo. The state of North Carolina put her into care after she was found. Her grandparents along with Justin were able to get her out. He cried when he said goodbye to her at the hospital. The grandparents had gotten an apartment close to their home, one that was safe for her.

After she flew away with her grandparents, Brian held him when he cried all night. It felt like a piece of him was being ripped away. Every night he talked to her on the phone, she would ask when he was coming to get her, that she was done visiting.

A week later he was shocked to find Bobbie Jo and her grandparents on his doorstep. They had told him that they couldn’t take care of her. She cried every night for him, begging them to let her come back to him. All they asked was for them to be allowed to see her. Since Lee’s paternity rights were removed, it was just a job for lawyers. He had his daughter back though, that’s all that mattered. At first, Brian wasn’t that excited about the idea of having a child live with them full-time. But when Lindsay and Mel decided to stay because they wanted Gus to know his other sister, he had changed his mind.

“Dad, do I look pretty?” Bobbie Jo asked, twirling around in the reception dress that his mother had gotten her. She was five now, and so smart it was scary.  

“You look beautiful,” he told her, breaking away from Brian.

“Papa, do I look pretty?” she asked, turning those baby blues to Brian.

“For a girl, I guess you’re okay,” Brian said with a smirk.

Never one to be beat by snark from her father. “That’s okay, Papa. You’re so old, you’re eyes probably don’t see too well.”

Justin laughed at the offended look Brian gave her. She had flourished in the past two years. While she loved Justin, and wanted him when she wasn’t feeling well. Brian was the one she copied, the one she wanted to be just like. She already made Gus sign a paper saying Kinnetik was hers when Brian was dead. Brian asked her if he had any say, since it was his agency and his life. But no, she quite firmly told him he would be dead, it wouldn’t matter to him. Brian had nothing to say to that. That was when Justin pointed out that a paper they signed as kids wouldn’t hold up in court in forty years. Bobbie Jo had eyed Brian for a moment, then said twenty at best. That night Brian suggested locking their door every night. Justin told him he was being silly. Brian feared she was taking after Lee, but anybody could tell him she was just like him.  

“Justin,” a voice said behind him.

Justin turned around and smiled at his father. After two years, they had a relationship more than a phone call here and there. When he was taken, he promised to himself that he would try with his dad. He had done that, it was slow going but his father had finally started to behave like he had wanted since he was seventeen. Justin had invited his dad and his new wife to the wedding, but he was shocked as hell when his dad sent a yes back with his RSVP. He made sure that Emmett put his dad and mom on the opposite side of room of each other, there was no reason to tempt fate.

“Dad, I’m so glad you and Shelia could come,” he said, holding his hand out for his dad to shake.

His dad shocked him even more, pulling him into a quick hug. That made Justin smile more. His father didn’t even shoot Brian a scathing look…this time.

“Who are you?” Bobbie Jo asked him.

“Bobbie, this is my dad. Dad, this is my daughter Bobbie Jo Kinney.”

“Your sister told me about her, she really is darling.”

“She is standing right here,” Bobbie Jo bitched. She was her father’s child.

“My apologies. It is nice to meet you, Bobbie Jo.”

“You can call me Barbara Jo,” she told him before sticking up her nose and crossing the room to his mom and Tucker. Justin watched as she hugged Tucker, after she let go she looked back at Craig and glared.

“Give her time, she’s not great with strangers. It took weeks for her to stop glaring at Brian.”

“To be fair, Sunshine, it was weeks before she stopped plotting my death.”

“I told you she wasn’t serious,” Justin said.

“Sure. Anyway, she knows you’ve been upset about not having a relationship with him. She’s just trying to protect you.”

“I’ll make it up to her and you, I promise,” his dad said.

“Thanks.”

The music started and it was time for Brian and Justin’s first dance as husbands.

Save the last dance blared through the speakers. “Did you?” Justin questioned.

“What can I say, It’s terribly romantic.”

“You’re terribly romantic.”

“Bite your tongue.”

“I’d rather bite yours.”

“Love you, Sunshine.”

“I love you too, Mr. Kinney.”

The end.

 

The End.
Neverbreeze is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 5 members. Members who liked Wedding Interrupted also liked 382 other stories.