- Text Size +

Harrisburg, this place was a quaint town that let him release the stress surrounding him when he was constantly paying extra attention to his behaviour. Here, he could let that go, and just immerse himself in his art.


The retirement community that his grandparents lived in, his mother’s parents and his father’s father, had welcomed a long-term guest. He had his own personal room in the guest room. He spent time with his grandparents when they were not in any of their daily planned activities like fundraiser and such. The rest of the time, he was in the art studio at the center.


On his very first day, a large package arrived for him. In there were 20 canvases, a separate package full of paint. Not to mention the computer graphic program that will let him draw the comic in full color more quickly. There were also a couple of documents included that had information on different products that needed an ad to be made. Everything was there for him to create, paintings, sketches, comics or advertisements.


He had told his grandparents that the package was sent by his parents and Daphne, but he knew it was Brian. But he was not ready to tell them about him yet, not when he had told his grandparents the truth yet. But he was going to do that today.


Half of his stay here had passed, it was time to confess then deal with the fall-out. At least in true manner of WASPs, and a businessman in case of Grandpa Taylor, they will not let his sexuality out in the public. It was private family business after all.


Taking a deep breath, he looks going around the studio, look over all that he had accomplished over the past three days. Out of his 40 artwork collections, he had all 25 small-sized canvases done, not to mention the 10 sketches. He had drawn the first edition of his comic all ready to be published online. All the advertisement were done as well. Four days in a studio with his creative juice not to mention a full control of his drawing hand let him complete a lot more than he had planned. But it was good, as he did not know how much he could get done, the rest of the summer, as he need to hide his work from others. JTK was after all a hidden artist who people will not know his identity. Now it was a matter of transporting all of his canvases out from here, the comic and advertisemnt were all in a memory stick.


As his phone rings with the specific tune of their Drifters song, he picks up the phone with a smile on his face and sit on the small armchair at the side of the studio.


“Good afternoon, the studio of JTK here.”


“Well, hello to you too Mr. brilliant artist.”


“Oh, who is this? Is it my fucking brilliant agent or my drop-dead gorgeous partner?”


“It’s both. Your agent who had been bombarded with emails from countless galleries asking for a personal meeting with the artist as well as your proud partner on how much chaos you have brought to the art community of Pittsburgh.”


“I’m always proud of treating a sensation with my work.”


“Well, you should. You have become such a desired personnel in the art world, that just based on rumors, there are people hunting you down. Sadly for that confused art history major and many others, JTK is only available through email, and even he is not answering that. And he has no plan to reply to any inquiries for a while. Make them want it enough, that they will allow lax conditions on the contract before accepting any offers. So has the brilliant artist came up with more expensive masterpieces today?”


“I will leave the public aspect to the man with mind control powers. I used all the canvases that you sent me, and you know that I got the first edition done as well. How did the clients like the ads?”

 

 

“Well, I got a wedding planning agency, a furniture store, and get this your sperm donor’s competition, a Keller Electronics to sign as my exclusive clients. Now, with the matter of your comic, I am going to release it online tonight, right around the time of your coming out to your dear grandparents.”


“Stepping out into the world at the same time as its creator, a nice irony.”


“Glad you understand. Now those canvases, I got into contact with your long-time art moving company, there will be there tomorrow to move the canvases. You just have to have someone there with you to be supervise. I suspect your grandparents if they do support you, they can help you.”


“Shit, thanks Brian. I was wondering what to do with them, I suspect that you have a NDA that the employees have signed to not let my identity to be spread.”


“Of course.”


“Brian….”


“Out with it Sunshine.”


“While I am coming out to my grandparents, maybe you should take a leap and start on yours. I know you are scared, but Brian you do not have to forget the past, you just have to let go of the weight that it has on you.”


“Sunshine...Saint Joan is someone that I do not wish to deal with right now. But Pops, he wished me dead, but he finally respect me before he died, in a way Pops was a victim too, of being trapped in a marriage and children that he did not want. Fuck. No point brooding on it. It’s a weekday, he will be at his Union Hall alone at the bar, I guess we need to have a chat. For the sake of irony, I will do it at the same time as “Rage” goes viral. Like we said to the kids……….”


“If you have the time, get the things you need to do tomorrow done today, and rip it off and leave it behind you like an unnecessary bandage”


“God, what were we thinking when we told that to Gus?”


“We were just trying to avoid a full-on queen-out from our son.”


“Then far be it for me to go back on my words, looks like I’m going for a meeting with Pops.”


“Remember Brian, I will always love you the way you are. You don’t have to change, all I need is your love.”


“And I told you Sunshine, that I only do what I want to do. So if I don’t want a cheap fuck and save it for your tight little ass, it’s my choice.”


“Let’s both just agree to do what we desire but make sure to keep our line of communication open. Keep me posted.”


“Of course Sunshine. Just like I expect the same update from you.”


“I love you, Brian Kinney. Forever and always.”


“As I do you, Justin Taylor-Kinney.”


“Later, Stud.”


“Later, my prince.”

 

***********************************

 

With a final squeeze around his charm necklace, he enters the Irish Union Hall, Jack’s drinking bar to come out to his fucking abusive drunk father but also extend an olive branch for them to possibly have a real relationship in the future. As soon as he enters the dimly lit room, he sees Jack, his father, sitting alone on a bar stool nursing a drink with the bar empty with no patrons in sight. Fucking perfect setting for a confrontation. No public to pretend around. He walks towards the bar, and sit on the bar stool next to Jack, takes one of the empty glasses on the counter and pour himself a drink.


“Hey Pops.”


“Sonnyboy, what you doing here?”


“For a quick drink and a talk with my old man.”


“A talk huh? About what? Does the Warden know you are here?”


“What Saint Joan doesn’t know won’t hurt her.”


“So what the fuck is my successful and rich Sonnyboy doing in this dirty poor Irish bar?”


“Well, just saying something that I need to say. And I need for you to listen. Are you listening, Pops.”


“Well, now I am curious. Sure I am listening.”

 

 

“Pops, I hate you. Hated you for wanting to abort me, hate you for all the time I spent scared of my fucking father, being beaten up like a punching bag while my mother and sister ignored it and sat with rose-coloured glasses on. But, congratulations, Jack, you wanted a real man for a son, well you got a fucking successful son that made his way out of the working class. But you know what, this successful son of yours that you pretend to be proud of to brag to your buddy, he is gay.”

 

 

The look of shock on Jack’s face was similar to how it was in the past that he remember.  

 

“I am queer, Pops. A homosexual who is going to hell and will burn for eternity according to the words of your fucking wife, my mother. And I’m not just any homo, Pops, I’m the fucked-up kind, the whore that likes to fuck every hot guy I see. A true man-whore is what you have for your son.”


There, he had came out. Came out to his drunk father in a fucking bar that too without holding back any punches. Now it was time for him to wait for the response.


“Why have you told me now? That you are a faggot.”


“What, you're actually curious about something aside from where to get your next drink? Not going to tell me to burn in hell or how I should have been killed at birth?”


“I watched you boy. I knew that you were different, though not how. Now I know that.”


“Yeah. This is who I am. A gay man that is scarred all over inside with an ice wall on his heart. Who grew up with a drunk father, a frigid bitch of a mother, and a self-obsessed older sister.”


“You grew up to be a man, now that I look at you, I may have doomed myself the day I told her to abort you. I didn’t want you to be born, maybe back then I was trying to spare a life with that to another being, but the warden is stubborn like she always had been.”


“In a way it is best that the warden was stubborn, as I don’t want to be a coward.” He didn’t stop even when Jack’s eyes suddenly lock into his, away from the glass he had been looking at. “I realized that Jack Kinney is an abusive drunk but he is also a coward. A weak-minded man who could not handle the things life threw at him that included his marriage and his children, who regrets having a family so he took it out on them. But as a fellow playboy myself, I know that if I was tricked into marriage, I will be angry too. But I will hate the bitch I married but never my kids unfortunately you chose to beat the shit out of your own fucking son to make yourself feel better.”


“Boy, I thought you were in business, when did you become a psych.”


“Since I met a girl just like me. A girl that studied psychology and tested her skills on me. Who basically let me see my life and all the hidden reasons of people around me clearly.” That was Dove. His first foster daughter, the one who had been abused in every sense by the people who gave birth to her. But the one that was so full of love that she went on to help both parents and children escape from their living hell of a situation.


Now Jack was silent, and he had nothing else to say. Just then his phone rang as the Drifters starts to play, it was too early for a call. Did something happen, shit that asshole Craig’s father is there, he must be cut from the same cloth as his fucking son. If they had kicked him out, he was going to drive to Harrisburg tonight and bring him back.


“Justin, what happened? Are you ok? Did they freak out or did they make you leave? Don’t you stay out in the cold, just pack your bags and be ready. I’m leaving here in an hour, I’m coming to pick you up.”


“Brian, Brian I am fine. No need to queen-out. I just want to let you know that it is all good. Apparently, they suspected it, my crushing eyes over the male staff hasn’t been as hidden as I thought.”


“You are not subtle in your appreciation let me tell you that much. So what’s the reason for your call? You still with your grandparents.”


“Yes. You there with your father?”


“Yes. Though he is frozen in shock at the moment.”


“Brian, you know I did something that you are not going to like. I discussed your childhood with Dove. Don’t worry I made it all hypothetical. This is what she said about the abusive father.” Since he guess that it was something that Jack should hear, he put the call on speaker and let Justin’s voice fill the space.


“That man is lashing out. He is trapped in a marriage and instead of trying to make the best of the situation, he grows bitter and becomes an addict. He is lashing out all of his hate onto his son. The son that he can feel is different in some way. But there is a different interpretation. That man didn’t grow up with love either, no he grew up in the working class that too with a heavy hand. So he didn’t know any other kind of parenting. The mother was no help anyways. The man was not heartless, Dove suspect that man even if he could not love, did care for the boy in some way. But there was still bitterness in him, so he did what his father, the working class man that he hung out with did to their kids. That was all he could do. No one likes clever children, especially in the working class, so he tried to do what you could to make his smart son tone it down, so at least he will survive in the working class. However when he was drunk all that father saw in his son was his image in his youth full of hope and dreams and since the father knew what had happened he tried to stamp it out. Maybe the father also knew that his son was different in terms of his sexuality and in some way he hated that as well.”


Just looking at Jack was enough to know it was the truth. His beautiful daughter Dove had correctly guessed the truth about her Daddy’s father from a simple description of events. Here, Dove’s Papa was delivering her message. But he was not fine. No not at all. Hearing that Jack, the drunken abuser, had loved him and Dove’s analysis did kind of explain his behaviour, it was just unbelievable. He did not want to think about his freaking childhood with his drunk and abusive father, drunk and neglectful mother nor his bitchy sister. Not without a bottle of Beam, which was right in front of him so he pour a glass and drink it in one shot, then pour another glass.


“Sunshine. Dove is a genius, she got it all right. Thank you, Justin. I’m going to do what I think will be the best for me. To give a second chance.” He saw Jack turning and facing him, but he couldn’t look him in the eye no not right now, so instead he say what he wants to tell the man that was his childhood nightmare but also someone that he could understand in some way.


“If that man wants it, his son will let him be a part of his life. Like two grown adults, and work out the pains of their past. Even if he hates it, if the father wants it, they will both go to a shrink together, and talk so that as adults they can be father and son. That man even if he could not be a loving father, he could be a caring grandfather to his daughter’s children, even if both men agree that the father’s daughter is a self-obsessive bitch that excels in exploitation and ignoring the obvious. If the father is willing to meet his son halfway?” Finally he look directly at Jack, and the face of determination mix with hope and the nod that Jack gave him was enough. They were going to try. So it looks like he had dealt with his side, now he should make sure that Sunshine is fine. Taking a sip of Beam, he continues.


“Even about me, Sunshine. You alright with your grandparents?”


“Brian, though I didn’t choose to, this entire conversation had been on speaker. Before you say anything, it was not my fault. Grams have a very quick hand, and sadly she got hold of the extra phone and just dialed.”


“I can always respect a man or a woman with a special skill for sneaking. Well, I will introduce myself then, since Justin is most likely struggling to find the correct way to introduce me. My name is Brian Aiden Kinney, an advertising executive at Ryder Advertising. I’m known by many names, “asshole”, “selfish bastard”, “whore of Liberty Avenue,” “brilliant adman” and so forth so I do have a fucked up life. I grew up with a drunk father who I’m going to try to build a relationship with. I have a frigid bitch of a mother whose only love in her life is her God, the way the church views her, and the sherry. I also have a self-obsessed older sister, who managed to find a wealthy man to marry her but sadly seems to be following her mother’s path in ignorance regarding the father’s treatment of her boys.” He takes another sip of Beam before continuing.


“I am twenty eight old man, who is an  Catholic who lived a life full of promise, alcohol and drugs. But, I love your grandson. The only man that I have ever loved and I plan on building a life with him. I know he is young, but I’m willing to wait till he is ready no matter what it takes.”


“Brian, seriously are you on a mission to make me cry? Not to mention Grams, let me warn you, it looks like you have officially became their grandson-in-law just based on their expressions.”


“Well what can I say? Kinneys are a man full of charm. Enough about me, have you told your grandparents about your career which have just kicked off about two hours ago. No, I guess not. Mr. and Mrs. Lambton, Mr.Taylor, let me tell you that I am also working as an unofficial agent for your grandson in regards to his artwork. If you hear about a talented artist and comic book artist with the name of JTK, that is your grandson right there. There will be a moving company arriving there tomorrow to transport the paintings that Justin have done, I am hoping that one of you could be present to supervise. Now, I am sorry but I fancy a face-to-face meeting to be the time that I hear your voice. Goodnight.”


He shuts the phone off, place it on the counter before turning to face Jack. Rather than talk about what they decided to do, Jack was interested in another thing. Justin. Well, Justin in Harrisburg and here he was in Pittsburgh, both of them will be spending the night doing the same thing. Telling the people that they just came out to as a queer all about their chosen partner.

 

***********************************************

 

Well, last night was interesting to say the least. All of his grandparents already suspecting the truth made it easier for him to come out, but then that trick that Grams pulled. At least it let him help Brian make a start on him finally dealing with the pain that his childhood caused him in a more effective manner than drowning the pain with alcohol and drugs. His grandparents all of them seem to like Brian based on hearing him, not to mention that queen out at the beginning of the call let them know how much he actually cared but Justin knew they will still be skeptical for a while. Nothing a face-to-face meeting with Brian won’t fix.


The moving guys were here, and he was personally supervising their crating to make sure it was safe and will not damage the painting. All of the paintings were going in his art storage for a little while. When the studio at Tremont was ready with the large air and humidity regulated safe installed, then it will be shipped there. Since he wants his paintings to be seen by others only in the best light possible, he asked his grandparents to stay out of the studio. Apparently, the idea of a secret career was going to be fun and as a former lawyer, Grandpa Lambton wanted to make sure to review any contract he will sign in the future. Maybe Grandpa can be an advisor to the Kinney lawyers. Speaking of lawyers, Brian did not let him know much about how his hunt for the lawyers were going but then again, they did not have much of a time to talk, not with both of them immersed in their own work. Definitely something to ask him.


“Mr. J,” looking up he saw that the leader of the moving guys had a clipboard in front of him, ready to sign. He reach for the pen and sign it, JT Kinney. He was glad that he had managed to make his mom sign the legal document that allowed him to sign documents on his own without a guardian in presence of his Grandpa so it had been notarize in a presence of an officer of law, when a retired one counts. He had faxed the document over to Brian, so he knew that it had been submitted to the courts already, Brian had a favor with someone in Ryder’s legal department, so they had submitted into the courts on his behalf. With everything ready, he went out of the studio, not even paying attention to another large package that had arrived with the moving company. It will be a similar as the first one from Brian.


“Justin, dear,” there was his Grams dressed in a classy summer dress of pale blue calling him from her seat, where his Grandpa Lambton and Grandpa Taylor both of them were also sitting. Making his way towards them, he sits down in the vacant chair then set about pouring himself a coffee while taking one of the muffins on the table to eat.


“How are you doing this morning, Grams, Gramps, Grandpa. Did you sleep alright?”


“Justin, we want to talk to you. We discuss this after you retired for the evening and here is what we have decided.” The serious look on their faces did not bear well with him. If they thought that they could keep him away from Brian, then they will have another thing coming but they seemed to have liked him based on their behaviour yesterday, so he will see. This time rather than his Grams talking, it was his grandfather that starts to speak, in turns, starting with Gramps.


“I called your mother this morning, and told her that he will love it if you can extend your stay with us till the end of July here with us. Your parents have agreed and they are all coming over for a visit near the end of July so all of us can be together. Now, Justin it is not because we want to keep you away from Brian, I recognize that stubborn face on you so don’t even deny it. It just right here, you have the time to really think about your future as a man that is a little unique from others that are your age, both in terms of sexuality and the fact that you are now building a career.”


“I know my son, your father really well. He has all the opinions of his mother. I don’t care who you fuck as long as it does not damage the family and you are be careful, not something that my late Christian wife agreed with, nor my son. So right here, you are safe and I know that you were able to do what you want and need for an artist, which is to create so much better right here, so it is best to stay here.”


“In terms of Brian, we will all reserve judgement until we meet him. So we are all hoping that we will be able to meet him before your parents come to visit. We all know you don’t choose who you love nor the timing of your love. But we want you to be careful.”


“Grams, Gramps, Grandpa, thank you for trusting me. I know you will feel better about Brian when you meet him. I know that June and July are busy for him so he will be able to make it in beginning of August. Also I love to stay, I could paint and create so much over here, not to mention spend time with all of you. I will need this vacation if I am going survive in Chez Taylor till I am 18. It is a good thing that I already opened my own bank account, so any money I make will be mine. Now, Grams, enough of the heavy talk, what’s for lunch today? I’m starving.” As his grandparents laugh at his typical hungry self, his Sunshine smile spread on his face. He will call Brian tonight let him know all that happened and get him to ship all of art supplies for his 40 years collections over. He had the feeling that he will finish that entire collections, and maybe move onto paintings that could be used in the future collections.

 

******************************************

 

For the next month or so, Brian and Justin both had relatively the same routine.


Justin starts his day with a morning jerk-off session in the shower, before breakfast with his grandparents. Then after that depending on when his inspiration strikes, he will be in the studio. Painting, drawing comics or making ads. Then when he was not doing that he was accompanying his grandparents along with their appointments. His Grams had went and actually enrolled in PFLAG and drag all the men together to a meeting. It did not matter where PFLAG was situated, they were all passionate people that want their loved ones to feel accepted. It was really nice to see that even if his parents will have problems with it, his grandparents were on his side. Then, after dinner, Justin or Brian called each other and got caught up on their day before a mutually needed phone sex session. Then, sometimes Justin went to sleep, other times he went and sketch or paint.


In the month long stay at the retirement community, Justin became the darling of all the members there. He was someone that they all had protective instincts what with his fragile appearance, not to mention hearing about how he was expecting his parents to kick him out in the future. Justin did not know but all of them were silently waiting till August arrives. They could not wait to meet the man that their darling Justin had feelings for. Then after that they will personally see his parents. They hoped that it was just the boy’s imagination that his parents will kick him out. Why would such a wonderful young man that was so intelligent and caring have awful parents that will not accept him?

 

 

On the other hand, Brian in Pittsburgh was in one word being bombarded. At work, the word had gotten out that there was now a chance to sign Brian Kinney on as their exclusive client. So some of the Ryder clients, maybe only about 15% of them, who used the agency just to have Brian manage their accounts, all wanted a meeting with him to see about how this exclusive contract will work. Cynthia had been on the phone constantly arranging his schedule, not to mention reservations at restaurants. On top of his old clients, it was the height of summer season, so there were many advertisements to be made.


Brian only sent the artwork of the clients that he was completely sure was going to follow him onto Kinnetik, the rest were at the hand of Ryder art department. The clients that saw Justin’s work, though they did not know who he was, just Brian’s personal freelance artist, were more than sure to keep Brian as their adman. Those with Ryder’s art team well they just got amazing work not the bloody brilliant ones, but once they saw the bloody brilliant ones the clients demanded the same quality.


But Brian was firm, the artist was a freelance one that only had time for certain amount and in order for him to work on their campaign well there were things that the clients had to agree upon first. So only the ones determined to let Brian be their exclusive adman, also sign an NDA to never reveal the details of how the artwork for their campaign came about such as the identity of the freelance artist, will have the hands of Brian and Justin on their campaign.


Then in his pro-bono campaign, well in that case he was bombarded with emails. Publishers who saw the work of JTK online in the comic “Rage,” wanting to publish it exclusively and gain some rights to what they knew to be a comic that will be profitable in the future. Art galleries had sent many emails asking for a meeting with the artist, or wanting him to display their work in his galleries and so forth. But Brian was not responding to any of them. No, he will not do that until he will have all of their future lawyers ready, not to mention a discussion with Justin on which publisher or gallery that he wants. But Justin was generous and he knew all galleries were good ones so it was hard for him to choose. So with permission from Justin, Brian had set about building a bidding war in the art world. All with a simple email.


The artist JTK is flattered at the interest in his work but as he does not have an official agent, all the dealing between the galleries and the artist will be done by the representative of the artist. The representative will be available to set up a meeting during the last week of July, and will accept all offers to be reviewed for a show for his 40 collections. Till the time that his show date is decided, a sample of his work, the painting “Light” will be circulated on rent for one week each to all interested parties, for their patrons to enjoy.


After sending out the email, Brian had called Cynthia into his office. Then gave her a cellphone with a new chip and told her to take the calls and make detailed notes. Cynthia was someone that Brian and Justin both trust with their lives, and they knew that no one will be able to get past her and gain access to Brian. Brian personally could not wait till the art curators show up to their meeting with JTK’s representative, they will be in shock of their life. If they could not even handle a little bit of unexpected change in the person they were meeting with, then the gallery will not be able to keep their cool and not let any hints out to the public about JTK’s identity, same with the publishers.


With the matter of lawyers, Brian put Ted in charge of tracking them down. As an accountant he knew how to find people from the public financial records, not to mention, he had the best at his boring ass job to call them up and invite them out for dinner. Brian plan on meeting only the lawyers for brunch, the week before he leaves for his weekend at Harrisburg. Then after that, once he sees the group dynamic between them, not to mention how professional their younger selves were, he will set up the dinner for them together with Justin.


On a more personal note, Brian was stressed but also happy, it was a weird combination. Stressed with lack of fucking, not to mention Liberty Avenue seem to be catching onto the fact that the Stud was only dancing at Babylon but no one had seen him in the backroom in weeks. Then Brian’s asshole level seem to be either at an extreme level or non-existent depending on different days.


There were just some days that seeing the behaviour of Michael, Deb, not to mention Lindsay and Mel had him use extreme control to not snap at them. Were they really this childish, so uncaring? Some things like Michael’s dining manners and such things had him wanting to drag him over to a local daycare and show him how his actions were so much like those little children. Not to mention he could see all of the hidden manipulation that Lindsay did as she continue on her campaign to have Brian Kinney’s baby or how Mel basically was so consumed by proving him to be inferior to her, that she miss things such as sometimes what she was saying was hurting Lindsay. No wonder their relationship were on the rocks so often, even after nine years together, he hardly sees the passion or love between them. These things were stressing him out.

 

 

But on the other hand, things with his family were better. Pops and him have decided to engage the service of Dr. Alex Wilder, the Silver Fox for two sessions weekly. He was a psychiatrist that Brian knew and comfortable with, not to mention he was strong enough to handle both Brian and Jack’s stubbornness in regards to discussing feelings. Brian had also drag along Jack to the hospital for a complete work-up. Both of the men were basically told to control their drinking, Jack especially, as there were already signs of liver damage. Well, if he was planning on building a relationship with his father, he has to be alive, so Brian had also starts to drag Jack to the gym, not to mention on weekends he came with healthy meals packed and ready to be heated for Jack, and by default Joanie. Joan seems to enjoy the fact that her son visits more often, more chances for her to show everyone that her children came to visit her constantly despite their busy schedules. As Joan was a touchy subject for both of them, both Kinney men had decided not to approach the subject.


Those weekend visits were also when both men went across town to Claire’s home, in a nice middle and upper class neighbourhood, and take John and Peter with them. Both Brian and Jack did not miss the small signs of fear in John and Peter when they first came to hang out with them, but they were making progress. Enough of a progress that sometimes the boys spent time with their Grandpa at the park or Brian’s father and nephews came over for a little visit to Ryder then ask him to join them for lunch. Any signs of trust from his nephews was a brilliant thing, he wants to avoid these innocent boys repeating their future.


Both of them victims of abusive home, one who turn to drugs and eventually was gang-raped by drug dealers and died from those injuries, the other who killed a man and went to prison but a bad batch of cocaine in prison took his life. Neither one of them had came to him for help, it was not till the week before his death that Peter had called him and told Justin and him the truth about what they were hiding. Then they ask them to take care of his baby, someone that deceived him and got pregnant thinking he was rich, and when they found that he was relatively poor, the mother was going to put the baby up for adoption. That baby was their Shawn. These men will eventually be the father and uncle of their youngest son, not to mention their nephews so of course Brian and Justin wants to help them.